Confrontation

It All Started as a Dare

  Day 10 Wednesday:

  Ever since yesterday, I couldn't get out the image of Da Som and Jaeseop kissing. It may have been a peck, but that must've been his first kiss that I wanted to steal. Wait, no. I don't! Ah! I can't think at all!

  I found Jaeseop at his locker and smiled. I'm glad he's not gone unlike two days ago. It was probably the most boring day I have ever experienced. Never will I go a day without Jaeseop. If he's gone, then I won't show up at school. Okay, I'm acting kind of spoiled, but it's true. It wouldn't be considered a day if he's not here.

  "Good morning!" I greeted.

  Like usual, he closed his locker and carried so much books. This time I helped him out, but he snatched it back from me.

  "What's wrong with you?" I shot back.

  He sighed. "Nothing. Just- nothing."

  I knew something's bothering him and I had a feeling that it was about yesterday. Could it be he actually enjoyed that kiss? My eyes trailed down to the floor. For the first time, I couldn't think of anything to say. Usually, I would start complaining and whining at him, but I'm not in the mood to.

  I looked back up and he was already a few steps in front of me. "Hey! Where are you going? You can't just ditch me!" I shouted and ran after him. Before I could catch up, Da Som got in my way. I gave her a disgusted look. Are we friends or rivals? I had a feeling that we're more on the rival side now.

  Jaeseop paused and looked back, probably expecting me to be behind him. Knowing I wasn't there, he searched for me and found Da Som instead. His eyes widen and he started walking again in a faster pace. Does he like her?

  "What do you want?" I spat at her. She was the cause for making me like this.

  She smiled an innocent smile that wasn't so innocent now. I know that it was all fake –   everything. "I just want to talk to you. That's all. Is there something wrong with that?"

  "Yes." I tried going around her, but she barricaded my way. "I don't want to talk to you right now."

  "Why not?"

  Why? What's wrong with not talking to someone? If I don't want to talk to her, then I don't. Why can't she leave me alone? She won't stop until I let her talk to me anyways. "Fine. Tell me. What do you want to say?"

  She sighed and gave a worried expression that made me flinch. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to kiss your 'boyfriend.' I don't know what came over me."

  . Like hell she didn't mean it, but I continued to listen to her.

  "I'll make it up to you. I'll leave him alone until the month is over. How's that?"

  My eyes shone at the thought. Will she really leave him alone? I looked into her eyes to see if she really meant it, but I couldn't tell. Her eyes only show neutrality. There was no way I could tell if she will do it or not. Might as well take a chance.

  "All right." I reluctantly said. I still had a bit of doubt.

  She flashed a smile that made me flinch once again. I can't believe I actually agreed to her with this game. I bet she's enjoying it. She hugged me and whispered. "Thank you." Then she lets go and gave a giggle, leaving soon after.

  I watched as she goes and my eyes caught Hoon staring at me. I blushed. Why do I still have feelings for him? He's a jerk isn't he? So why does my heart still beat for him? I turned around and pretended I never saw him. I better get to class and to Jaeseop before Hoon confronts me.

  "Myung Hee!" I heard him call out.

  I quickened my pace and tried hiding behind the throng of people. I manage to loose him, entering class and sitting next to Jaeseop. He noticed my blushing face and asked, "What happened to you?"

  I immediately answered him, "Well-" but then I thought about earlier and changed my answer, "You won't tell me what's wrong with you, so I'm not telling you what's wrong with me." I stuck out my tongue.

  He shook his head and I heard him say, "You're so childish."

  I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to hear it or not, but I felt offended either way. I ruffled his hair, knowing he doesn't like it and grinned. Take that.

  He glared at me and pinched my cheek, stretching them out. I squirmed from his grip, but he kept hold. I kept squirming only tipping over the chair, causing both of us to tumble.

  I fell straight on my back, my legs still on the chair while Jaeseop's nose barely touching my neck. His hands were on my shoulder and I could feel his breath tickling my neck. I held my breath so I wouldn't laugh, but I start to shake.

  He must have thought that I was having a seizure because he got up and helped me. Knowing that I wasn't, he turned his head away, blushing as if he couldn't' believe he was worried about me. To tell you the truth, I thought that was super cute. At least I know he'll be caring to other people.

  His head went back to me and the first words that came out were, "That was your fault."

  All of a sudden, rage came back to me. And I thought it was cute! "My fault! You were the one that pinched me! You're telling me it was my fault?"

  He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest. "You were the one who started it," he mumbled.

  I narrowed my eyes again. I might as well start it again!

  "Aw. What a perfect couple." Da Som said, standing over us.

  Jaeseop narrowed his eyes. "Shut up."

  Her eyes averted to him. "I'm only speaking the truth."

  I thought she was going to leave him alone. Such a damn liar. It hasn't been a day yet. In fact, it hasn’t been ten minutes!

  She leaned in close and started whispering. "You better be careful Jaeseop, you have competition." She indicated Hoon by cocking her head towards him. "You don't want him to steal Myung Hee, now do you?" Her eyes continued to stare at him, a smirk on her face.

  Jaeseop looked away. "I don't care. I'm not much a person of competition."

  Satisfied, Da Som stood up straight. "Did you hear that Myungie? He doesn't care. That way you can have Hoon without him feeling jealous. Doesn't that make you happy?"

  I glared at her with intense eyes. "Happy? I'm not a like you." I took Jaeseop in my arms and squeezed him tight. "I'm happy with just him."

  She raised both eyebrows and shrugged. "Have it your way." With that, she left.

  I didn't let him go until he shoved me. I looked at him dazedly and saw him blushing. It was the truth. I am satisfied with just him. Hoon should be history to me, but I still had tiny feelings for him. Jaeseop just seemed to be boosting up my emotions.

~~~

  On our first break, Jaeseop stood to use the restroom. I didn’t follow him because I was feeling tired after this morning. Everything is getting complicated all because of this dare. I shouldn’t have taken it in the first place! I’m such an idiot. But then, if I didn’t take it, I wouldn’t have met Jaeseop.

  I rest my head on top of the desk. What would it be like if I never met Jaeseop? Would life be simpler? Would I still be friends with Da Som? Would I still have the same feelings towards Hoon? There are so many questions and answers that could have changed if I never did the dare.

  I lift my head to find Hoon standing in front of me. I stared at him while he stared back at me.

  He bowed. “I’m sorry.” He apologized.

  I blinked a couple of times.

  “I’m sorry for kissing you.”

  I blushed.

  Hoon continued, “I guess I was just jealous that you’re with Jaeseop.” He scratched the back of his head. “I shouldn’t have done that to you knowing you were dating him.”

  My eyes droop. Was it really jealousy or lust? I’m just glad he apologized. “It’s nothing.”

  “I won’t do it again. I promise.”

  I remained silent. Nobody keeps their promises anymore.

  Hoon bit his lip as he looked up and back at me. “I’ll wait for you.”

  At that thought, I cringe. He’ll wait for me? I’ve been waiting for him for years and he never realized it until now? I can’t believe it. Guys are the biggest hypocrites out there! Girls come in really close. I closed my eyes as the next words were strained. “I don’t want you to wait for me.”

  His eyes widened.

  “I’ll never like you the way I did in the past.” I stared straight into his eyes, showing my sincerity. “I’m sorry Hoon, but I’ve been waiting, too. I’ve probably been waiting far too long. I-” I pause, unable to say the next words. I shook it off and said something different, “I just want to be left alone for a while.”

  Anger filled Hoon’s eyes, but he didn’t show that emotion. He just bowed and left, steps heavy.

  I watch him go with sad eyes. This was the first time I rejected someone. It felt strange but relieving. My heart was beating fast in my chest as I finally confronted Hoon. I couldn’t believe I did that! I thought I liked him but after the past two weeks, I realized he wasn’t exactly who I believe he could be.

  “What did that guy do to you, now?” Jaeseop’s voice broke my thought. His eyes glared at Hoon while he sat.

  I managed a weak smile. “It wasn’t what he did. It’s what I did.”

  “Huh?”

  My smile got wider. “You don’t really need to know the details.”

  He shrugged and his lips. “Whatever you say.”

  Oh, Jaeseop. You certainly are the strangest person I have ever met, but that’s what I like about you. I don’t want you to change. Not at all.