My House

It All Started as a Dare

Day 12 Friday:

  The school day was practically the same. Nothing special really happened and Hoon or Da Som didn’t talk to me. It was strange but it seems like they’re keeping their distance. I don’t know why, but what if they have a plan? It doesn’t matter because they won’t break me.

  After school I followed Jaeseop to his locker. “Ready for today?” I asked him with a huge grin on my face.

  He stared at me and gets his books organized. “Yeah, whatever. Let’s get this over with so I can go back home and relax.”

  I waited for him until he put his books in. Without another wait, I took his arm and dashed out of the school. We walked all the way home with my still grabbing his arm. I was afraid he might escape if I let him go. I don’t care if he gets annoyed because he won’t do anything to me.

  At the driveway of my house, I stood there looking up. I smiled to myself and let out a puff of air. “This is my home.” I spread my arms out, revealing the front side of my home. “What do you think?”

  He doesn’t say a word and continued to look up. “It’s nice.”

  I grinned. “Actually this house is old. My Umma lived her since her high school years and this is where we’ve lived all those years. I pointed to the house in front of ours. “And that house used to be their best friend’s house but he moved to live with his wife. I haven’t met him yet, but I heard he was really nice.” I sighed. I wonder what it was like when my parents were in high school. I heard a lot has happened, but they never tell me! “Let’s go in.” I took Jaeseop’s arm once again and led him inside.

  “I’m home!” I exclaimed from the front door. I took off my shoes and ran inside.

  I was looking for Umma, knowing Appa wouldn’t be here yet. Now where is she?

  I turned to Jaeseop, finding him entering the room with caution. He must be feeling uncomfortable. I pointed to the couch. “You can sit down if you want. I’m just going to call my Umma.”

  He nodded and sat down.

  I entered my parents’ room and found Umma cleaning the bathroom. “Umma! I’m here and I have a guest with me.”

  She stopped with a huge smile on her face. “Really? Who is it?”

  I blushed.

  Umma frowned. “A boy?”

  I opened my mouth.

  “You know I don’t want you to have a boyfriend at this age. At least not until college.”

  “I-I know.” I still don’t understand why she doesn’t want me having a boyfriend but it could have dealt with her in the past. After all, she did have me when she was eighteen and still in school. She was probably afraid that I would get pregnant like her, but I promise I won’t.

  “Who is this boy?”

  My face flushed more. Why am I blushing so much? Our relationship is fake, not real! “Hi-His name is K-Kim Jaeseop.”

  “Kim Jaeseop?” Her eyes trailed and she smiled. “What a nice name. Let’s meet him.”

  “Okay! Oh! And he’s the boy that wrote 0330!”

  Her eyebrows rose in amusement. “Oh, really? I did tell you I want to meet him. Is he really your boyfriend?”

  I nodded.

  Umma nodded as if thinking what Jaeseop is like. She stepped out of the room and paused at the doorway.

  I nearly bumped into her.

  Through Umma, I could see Jaeseop standing up and bowing. “It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Lee.” Jaeseop greeted.

  Umma bowed her head. “It’s nice to meet you, Jaeseop. You may take a seat.” She strode to the other couch and sat down.

  I followed and sat next to Jaeseop. Why am I starting to feel nervous? It’s really like a meeting between a daughter, her parents, and her boyfriend. I stared at Jaeseop who was gazing at my Umma.

  “You look young.” He suddenly said.

  My eyes widened. What kind of comment is that? Is he trying to get himself killed?

  Umma giggled. “Ah… Well I am pretty young to be a mother of a seventeen-year-old.”

  His eyes continued to gaze at her.

  “Ah… Well, it’s nice to meet you Jaeseop,” she repeated. I knew she didn’t know what to say because if she repeats, that means she’s getting nervous. “I heard you compose music.”

  Jaeseop straightened. “I do.”

  “Can I hear something from you?”

  His eyes trailed and found the piano nearby. “You want me to play on the piano?”

  Umma grinned. I knew how much she loved the piano. She never wanted anyone to touch it other than family. Jaeseop must be special. She probably saw something in him that caused her to say it’s okay to touch it. I remembered when Nana came over Umma didn’t let her anywhere near it!

  Jaeseop bowed and silently strode to the piano. He sat down and lifted the cover. He saw the piece he gave me and ran his finger down it. “I’ll play this.” Jaeseop stared at it for a moment and started playing. During that time, he closed his eyes, feeling the music flow through him.

  Whenever he played, I felt peaceful. He could play it way better than me. I’m jealous but I guess it’s because he wrote it himself. He should know the notes by memory.

  At the last note, I looked at Umma and found her still sitting in the living  room, eyes closed. I watched as she opened her eyes and stood up. She stood beside Jaeseop and patted his back. “You’re really good.”

  Jaeseop just smiled, causing my heart to beat fast. Why doesn’t he show that smile more often? “Thank you, Mrs. Lee.”

  “You should keep it up. In fact, you should teach my daughter how to be more active on her music. After all, ever since middle school, she nearly stopped playing.”

  His eyes gazed at me through his glasses. “She plays?” He asked Umma.

  She nodded. “Maybe you can come over more often and force her to play.” Umma laughed and turned to me. “I really accept your boyfriend! He can play the piano just like you! And he’s really mature!”

  I blushed and face palmed myself. Oh, Umma! Why did she have to say that? Ah! She’s so embarrassing! “U-Umma!”

  She giggled. “I’m just teasing you, but it’s the truth.” Her attention goes back to Jaeseop. “I accept you as her boyfriend. I know you won’t make the same mistake me and my husband did years ago.” Her eyes become stern. “If you ever do something to my daughter that will hurt her, I will never forgive you.”

  Jaeseop bowed in his seat. “I won’t do anything to her.” He made a face at me when Umma was looking at me.

  “And you, young lady. You need to practice your violin! It’s collecting dust! I didn’t make you play it on Sunday, but I’d like you to play it sometime.”

  I laughed nervously and scratched the back of my head. “Ah… I’m not sure what to play…”

  “Your father has lots of music sheets! There’s something you’ll like in there.”

  “I’ll try.”

  “You play the violin, too?” Jaeseop asked.

  I nodded. “Yeah. My Umma plays the piano while Appa plays the violin. So we’re kind of a musical family.”

  He seemed amuse, but that amusement goes away. I feel like he’s not letting me see his expressions on purpose. I’m not sure why, but every time a new emotion pops up, it disappears just as quickly as it appears.

  Jaeseop stood with a sigh and bowed. “I’ll be going now. I’m sure my family would want me back soon. It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Lee.”

  Umma bowed and took him in a hug. “It’s nice to meet you, too! Too bad you couldn’t see my husband. He’s always coming home late. Maybe next time you can have dinner with us.”

  I could tell Jaeseop was uncomfortable with the hug, but he kept his posture. “Maybe next time. You do know me and Myung Hee will be having a date tomorrow?”

  Her eyes widened.

  I started to sweat. I was going to tell her today after Jaeseop left! Ah! Why did he have to mention it now?

  Umma’s eyes softened. “Oh she is? Well, I trust you, so that’s fine with me.”

  My heart skipped a beat and I let out a puff of air. Oh, thank goodness.

  “Okay, I’ll be going now.” His eyes went to me. “I’ll pick you up at ten.” He bowed once more and left the house.

  The moment, he left, Umma scolded me, “Why didn’t you tell me you were going on a date?”

  “I-I was… I was after he leaves.” I explained.

  She sighed through her nose. “You’re lucky your Appa isn’t here or else you’ll get something from him. But I do trust him. I’m sure you’ll have fun on your date.” Umma patted my head. “You picked a good boyfriend.” With those words, she went back to her duty in the bathroom.

  I didn’t know what to say or do. I stood there like a statue. I picked a good boyfriend? I guess you’re right Umma if he did love me back.