The Date

It All Started as a Dare

Day 13 Saturday:

  Today is Saturday and do you know what that means? Jaeseop and I will be having our first date. I had to rampage my closet to choose what I wanted to wear, which ended up being a splattered t-shirt and black skinny jeans.

  I sat on my couch, waiting for the bell to ring. In the mean time, I watched T.V and found Umma coming out of the room, yawning. She always wakes up late since she would be talking to Appa when he returns from work. I’m not sure what they talk about, but they have a lot to say.

  “Good morning, Myung Hee.” She greeted and stretched. “I see you’re ready for your date.”

  I nodded.

  She sat next to me. “I remember the date I had with your father.” She laughed the first time wasn’t exactly a date though. It was just a day to make me feel better after my first break up.”

  “Oh.” That is almost like my situation. Jaeseop and I aren’t really going out on a real date. Just a fake date to prove I’m actually doing the dare. But after I think about it, it’s not really a dare anymore. I mean, Da Som is no longer my true friend so I could break up with him anytime. However, I still remember the punishment. I don’t know what Da Som is planning but I know she will do something terrible if I don’t keep up with the dare.

  Umma giggled, bringing me back to earth. “But our second date was more special. Your Appa gave me a necklace.” She reached for her necklace which wore around her neck everyday. Umma revealed a G-Clef pendant and smiled. “I’ll always wear this no matter what.”

  I stare at it. If only Jaeseop could do that, but we’re not really dating and not really going on a date. I wonder what it’s like if we were though.

  The doorbell rung.

  I stood and kissed Umma on the cheeks. “I’ll see you later, Umma!” Without another wait, I opened the door with a huge grin on my face. I blushed as I found Jaeseop no longer having his glasses, but still had his braces. Not only that, but he did have some sort of style. I mean, it’s still kind of nerdy: White button up shirt with a sweater vest and khaki pants. It’s kind of disappointing but it suited him. Plus, it doesn’t match what I’m wearing at this moment.

  “Are you ready?” Jaeseop asked, noticing I was staring.

  I nodded. I already know where we’ll be going to first. “Let’s go.” I took his arm and walked down the path.

  Jaeseop got away from my grasp when we were near the city. He doesn’t like being shown in public with a woman. It’s disappointing because we’re supposed to be a couple. “Are you hungry?” He asked, not meeting my eyes.

  “I am.” I was so excited, I skipped breakfast.

  He shook his head. “Typical. I’ll take you out to eat. Where would you like to go? And please don’t say a café. That’s just too cliché. I want to go to a real restaurant for a change.”

  I giggled. Ah, he just read my mind. I did want to go to a café, but that’s used too often for couples. A real restaurant wouldn’t hurt. I’m just worried about the price.

  “Let’s go there,” Jaeseop said, pointing to the nearest restaurant.

  I nodded.

  We enter the restaurant and were seated to our table. I sat awkwardly in front of Jaeseop. I would usually be sitting beside him and teasing him. Being face to face met I have to really look at him. It was hard to make eye contact because he was so intimidating.

  He was skimming through the menu, eyes darting this way and that. He flipped a page and looked up. His head shifts from the menu to me. “What are you looking at? Have you already chosen what do you want?”

  I shook my head and looked through the menu. The prices! I cried inside. Why are they so expensive?

  “Don’t worry about the price. I can handle it,” Jaeseop explained.

  I nodded my head unsurely and chose the first thing that sounded delicious. I didn’t want to look through the whole thing, knowing I would become indecisive. Then again, I kind of want soup… No! That’s good.

  The waiter came and took our orders.

  As we waited for our dish to come, I started talking, “What do you want to do today? Do you still want to go to the park and eat ice cream?” I asked while fiddling with my fingers under the table. I’m really getting nervous at this moment.

  He nodded. “I do.”

  “Do you want to go after we eat?”

  He shook his head. “No. I kind of want to do that later.”

  I grinned. Good because I was thinking of bringing him to a clothing store. What he’s wearing right now isn’t acceptable! Who buys those clothes anyways?

  Jaeseop said, “These clothes, my… brothers made me wear them.”

  “Why?”

  He doesn’t say anything.

  Uhm… Okay. Why would he bring it up if he won’t answer me? Is he embarrassed with the clothes? I would be! No one would see me in those! I have style, okay even though what I’m wearing is plain right now. “Uhm, have you written any new songs?”

  He nodded. “I have a few but they’re incomplete. I don’t have much time. I’m working on my studies right now.”

  I scoffed. He really is a nerd. “Do you always study?”

  “I want to get into a good college.”

  “Don’t you have your own fun once in a while?”

  Once again, he doesn’t answer.

  Aish. This will go nowhere if he doesn’t answer my questions!

  “You do remember the five question thing, right?” Jaeseop stated.

  My eyes widened. “Oh… Did I exceed the limit?”

  He nodded.

  Ah! So I can’t ask him anymore questions? That’s so not fair!

  Jaeseop snickered. “Since you’ve been doing well for the past week, I’ll let you ask more questions.”

  I wanted to hug him right then and there, but I resisted the urge because the table was in between us. It wouldn’t be a hug if a table is in the way.

  We ate in silence. After Jaeseop said I could ask questions, I didn’t know what to ask! It’s like they all went away! Ugh… Stupid brain.

  After we ate, I dragged Jaeseop to the nearest clothing store and picked out clothes for him. What he’s wearing right now is unacceptable! I am not going to be seen with him wearing something like that!

  I tossed him the clothes and ordered, “Try it on.”

  He gave me a look. “This?”

  “Oh and add this.” I tossed him a fedora.

  “I’m not going-”

  Before he could say more, I shoved him into a fitting room. I could hear him grumbling to himself as he changed. And no, I’m not imagining anything at this moment!

  He opened the door only to poke his head out. The fedora didn’t look that bad on him but his expression… He looked annoyed.

  “Come on, Jaeseop! Let me see what you’re wearing!”

  He grumbled to himself and stepped out.

  I smiled. Success! He looks much better.

  “I’m not going to wear this…” Jaeseop was wearing a white shirt with a blue vest and his khaki pants. I feel proud of myself.

  “You are going to wear this! I’m going to pay for it, too! Now change back!” I shoved him back inside and waited for him to finish changing. The moment, he came out, I grabbed the clothes and head straight to the cashier. At that point, Jaeseop didn’t complain, letting me buy it.

  Once the clothes were paid, I shoved him to the nearest public restroom and made him wear it. If he came out with his normal clothes, then I would push him back inside. But to my luck, he wore it.

  I gave him a thumbs up in approval. “Alright! Next is the park!” I took his arm and dragged him to the nearest park. I could tell he was annoyed, but I don’t care! He can be annoyed as much as he wanted as long as he wants.

  At the entrance of the park, I let him go and walked straight to the ice cream stand. “Good afternoon, Kevin!” I greeted the cutie.

  “Myung Hee! I haven’t seen you here in a while. How are you?”

  “I’m good.”

  “Would you like the usual?”

  I nodded my head and remembered Jaeseop. “Oh! I’m on a date, could you possibly-”

  “I can’t.” Kevin stated clearly, already knowing my request.

  “Why not?”

  “This isn’t my stand you know. I can’t just be giving free ice cream to anyone especially a close friend.”

  I pouted. “Well can you give a discount?”

  He sighed. “I have an idea. What does your date like?”

  What does he like? I didn’t even ask him! My eyes widened. “Vanilla?”

  “Are you sure?”

  “Or maybe mocha?” Jaeseop seems mature for something like that. “Yeah! Pick mocha!”

  Kevin grinned like an angel. “Alright.” He told the price and I paid. Kevin prepared the ice cream, getting a waffle cone and one scoop of chocolate mint and one scoop of mocha on the same cone.

  As he handed it to me, my eyes widened even larger. “K-Kevin! Why are you only giving me one! I said I have a date.”

  “Exactly.” He pointed at me. “You have a date, so you should be sharing. Plus, you didn’t specifically say you wanted two ice creams.”

  Oh, Kevin. His face is like an angel but he’s sneaky like a devil. “Ah… Whatever. It’s nice to meet you again, Kevin! I hope to see you again.” I waved.

  He waved back and called as I was walking away, “I hope you have a great time!”

  I blushed at those words and looked for Jaeseop. I found him sitting on a bench near the playground. He was staring at little kids playing. It seemed pedo-ish, but his eyes were filled with longing. He told me he hasn’t been to a playground before. His childhood must’ve been boring.

  I sat next to him without him noticing. “Here you go,” I said while holding out the ice cream to him.

  He jumped and stared at it. “Only one?”

  “Well…”

  “You’re pretty cheap.”

  “Yah!”

  He chuckled, sending all kinds of feelings through my body. “What did you get?”

  “I-I-I g-got.” Why am I stuttering? “I got Mocha and Chocolate Mint.”

  His gaze turned distant. “I like chocolate mint.”

  What?! Did he just say that? I switched my gaze from the ice cream to Jaeseop. Don’t tell me he’ll actually eat it! Could that mean we would have an indirect kiss?

  He suddenly stood up. “I’ll get a cup and we can share.”

  My mouth gaped as he was walking away. What would I expect? Of course he wouldn’t share with me! What am I thinking? I sighed and started the mocha flavored. Hm… It’s not that bad, but I still like my chocolate mint. I paused for a moment and looked at the sky. I hope this day could last. Like I said, I think I’m falling for Jaeseop more and more each day.

  I was about to take another until I found Jaeseop coming up to me with two spoons in his hand. He sat back down next to me, our thighs touching. I stiffened and felt my breath leaving me.

  “I couldn’t get a cup without paying for another scoop, so I just asked for spoons. “Here you go.” He handed me one spoon while he took a scoop with his.

  I blushed and took it. “I-I that part…” I said as I watched him eat it.

  He paused, but continued eating. “It’s okay. It’s not like you have germs or anything.”

  I nodded. “Yeah. You’re right.” I kind of feel angry. I wanted to share with him without the spoon! I wanted to actually have an indirect kiss while he the ice cream. Whoa! Wait! What am I thinking?! I’m going crazy…

  I took a scoop and ate with Jaeseop in silence.

  After eating the ice cream, we shared the cone in half and munched on it.

  I looked at the playground and found it nearly empty. “Want to go there?” I asked, pointing to it.

  He shook his head. “We’re too old for that.”

  “No we’re not!” I pulled him up and dragged him to the playground. He needs to enjoy life! I took him to the swings since that was the only thing we could fit on. I sat on one while he sat on the other. I swung like crazy while Jaeseop stared at me with a crazy look.

  “Oh come on, Jaeseop. Swing like you mean it!”

  He only kicked his feet.

  I shook my head and rolled my eyes. Must I do everything? I dragged my feet to a full stop and jumped out of my swing. I walked behind him and pushed him. He nearly fell, but held on to the chains just in time. I pushed him harder, getting him higher.

  “What are you doing?” He asked while trying to turn around.

  “I’m pushing you.”

  He opened his mouth to say something, but he closes it afterwards, knowing I’m uninterested in what he has to say.

  I continued to push him no matter how ridiculous we looked. I didn’t care if people were giving us weird looks, but Jaeseop did. He dragged his feet for the swing to go to a full stop and jumped out.

  “I’m done.”

  I smiled. “Okay, where would you like to go next?”

  “I’m going to take you home.” His eyes wandered once again. “What are they still doing here?” He muttered.

  “What?” I tried following his gaze, but he took my shoulder.

  “Ah, nothing! Let me take you home.”

  “Uhm… Okay.”

  He took me out the park and back to my neighborhood. The whole way there, I felt nervous and I didn’t know why. I had this strange feeling in me. I’ve seen so many sides of Jaeseop’s for the passed half month and I like all of them. Sure it can get annoying, but I like it.

  When we were getting closer, I stopped in my tracks.

  Jaeseop gives me a worried look. “What’s wrong?”

  “C-Can I have your number?” I asked shyly. I want to be able to talk to him over the weekends and getting his number would be the perfect thing.

  He stared at me as if he wasn’t sure. Jaeseop sighed through his nose. “Alright.”

  My eyes brightened. Did he just say “alright”? I gasped and clasped my hands together. “Really?!”

  “Yes. Now if you want it, you better get it now or else you won’t have it. I’ll only repeat my number once.”

  I quickly took my phone out and saved his number.

  We exchanged numbers and continued walking. The whole way home, I was smiling like an idiot. But as we got closer to home, I began getting nervous.

  At the doorway, he bowed. “I’ll see you on Monday.” Again, his gaze goes distant. He made a face as if he saw something he didn’t like.

  I didn’t know what he was looking at, but that didn’t matter. Even in side angle, I still found him cute. Why does our date have to end so quickly? Can’t he just extend it? It wouldn’t hurt if he does. “Jae-Jaeseop.” I called.

  He turned to me with his cat-like eyes.

  I blushed.

  “What is it, Myungie?”

  Myungie. I don’t know why but when he says it, I feel all bubbly inside. I just love the way he says it. “Uhm…” I kept my gaze at him, my face flushing every second. The next thing I did would make me regret everything. I quickly lean forward and pecked him on the lips before running inside my house.

  I slammed the door behind me and stood against it. My heart was beating fast and it was getting hot in here! I couldn’t control my heart. I bit my lip. Was kissing him really the right idea?

  I peeked through the peek hole and no longer found Jaeseop. I sighed. Good, he’s gone. But why did I have to kiss him? What if he doesn’t like me back? It doesn’t seem like he does but I wanted to kiss him. I wanted him to know I actually like him. Even though our date was short, I enjoyed it. It was the first time I actually felt in place.

~~~

  This was the longest chapter in this whole story! O.o Heh... It originally had Jaeseop's POV, but I decided to just put Myung Hee's POV so that it won't give away too much~ (Hehe you'll learn later on) But yeah, this was a whole new chapter from the original. Plus, I was on a roll until the end when I had to do something so the flow at the end was iffy... Oh well! They kissed? :D