Standing Up

It All Started as a Dare

Day 24 Wednesday:

  I couldn’t believe Jaeseop and I broke up. Yesterday, I tried texting him, but he wouldn’t answer. I did the same thing this morning, but nothing. He didn’t want to talk to me and it pained me. I wanted him to explain his reasons and I was hoping Eli or Soohyun would take his phone and reply for him. However, it didn’t happen.

  As I entered the school, I saw people staring at me and whispering things I couldn’t hear. They probably heard about the break up. Rumors spread pretty quickly especially in this school. I’m pretty sure it was Da Som who started it in the first place.

  I don’t care what people say because I was too depressed to even listen! I want to know Jaeseop’s reasons! I wanted to talk to him but I know he won’t. He’s so stubborn just like me. Today, I’ll just ignore him and see his reaction. I wonder what it will be like without him.

  In the hallways, I spot Hoon giving me a worried glance. He came up to me and bowed. “I’m sorry about your break up.”

  He was being so understanding, but he should know I don’t like him anymore. I managed a weak and trembling smile as I patted his shoulder. “Thanks, but a break up isn’t something you should be sorry about.”

  “I know, but I could tell you really like him. After all, you’re dragging dark clouds everywhere you go.” Hoon chuckled, trying to lighten the mood, but it doesn’t work. He let out a sigh through his nose. “I’m also sorry about what I did in the past. We were young and now that we’re older, I’ll be more mature about things like those.” His hand caressed my cheek. “You should smile. You look prettier that way.”

  “I can’t. Not now.” I still don’t understand why we broke up and it was bothering me.

  He frowned. “I can’t make you smile but I will try.” With those words, he left.

  I watched him go. Thank you, Hoon. You may be a jerk sometimes, but you’re pretty soft at times. I hope you find a girl and you will treat her right.

  “Myung Hee!” Nana exclaimed as she ran up to me. She leaped and gave me a tight hug, nearly toppling us over. “I heard what happened! Are you okay?”

  Do I look okay?! I wanted to scream those words on the top of my lungs, but she’s my best friend. I shouldn’t do that. I just shook my head.

  “I don’t understand why this happened…”

  Even I don’t understand…

  “How did he do it?”

  I didn’t want to talk about it.

  Nana sighed, noticing my silence. She shivered. “I guess I should leave you alone right now…” She laughed nervously and walked away.

  Yeah. I wanted to be alone right now. I don’t think I can talk to anyone right now, especially Jaeseop. I know I’ll have to see him in the classroom, but for now, I’d like to be alone.

~~~

  In the classroom, I found Jaeseop already sitting on his desk, staring blankly at the board. He had no emotions whatsoever as he was in deep thought. However, his head twitched as he met my gaze. He looked away immediately with a pained expression.

  I wanted to switch seats, but at the same time I don’t. I still wanted to be near him. I don’t want to let him go that easily.

  Slowly, I strode towards my desk and sat next to him. I avoided him. No matter how much I wanted to look at him, I tried hard not to move my eyes or head away from the front.

  My heart continued to scream why and what did I do? My head spun with so many questions I wanted to ask but never had the courage to spill out. As I recalled, we didn’t have that much fights. We seemed happy so why the sudden break up?

  Soon the bell rang, indicating class to start. I frowned as I realized Jaeseop didn’t want to talk to me. It was plain and clear. We’re sitting next to each other with awkward silence filling the air. Probably everyone else in the room could feel the tenseness for no one spoke even if our teacher wasn’t here.

  Please Jaeseop. Please talk to me at least once.

~~~

  During lunch, I didn’t sit with Jaeseop like usual. Instead, I sat far away from him and everyone I knew. I didn’t want to talk to anybody right now. I just wanted to be alone and think. I wanted to think about the reasons why he broke up with me but not were reasonable.

  I sighed and poked my food continuously. I had lost my appetite just by wondering. Oh, Jaeseop. Why can’t I stop thinking about you?

  As I was poking my food, a voice piped in front of me, “Such a pathetic sight.”

  I made a fist as I recognized the voice. My body trembled in anger. “Shut the up, Da Som.” I spat as I looked up at her face.

  She smirked. “You know it hasn’t been a month yet.”

  “I know.” Man, she still remembers that dare?

  “And your punishment is-”

  “Just leave me alone!” I shouted, causing some students to stare.

  “Leave you alone? Leave you alone?! Ha! I would have done it when you asked Hoon out in middle school, but I didn’t. I helped you and look where you are now. No one teases you anymore! No one rejects you anymore!”

  I glared. “I don’t care.” I don’t want popularity anymore. It’s just a childish dream. Popularity doesn’t matter once you get older.

  She snorted. “You’re lucky you have met me or else you wouldn’t have met Jaeseop.”

   I’m sure if I had never met Da Som, things would be much easier. I bet I would have a much calmer life and maybe Jaeseop and I could actually be close friends before being together. Maybe our relationship was going to be a fail in first place. After all, we started dating without knowing who each other really are.

  “Hello? Are you listening to me? You still have a punishment to do.”

  “Shut up! Da Som! I don’t care what you do or say but I’m no longer going to obey what you do! I’m not going to even look or talk to you, you filthy son of a ! Just get the out of my sight and leave me alone!” I screamed.

  More people stared.

  She rolled her eyes. “You think I could just leave you alone just like that? Ha! I’m not as weak as you.”

  Me weak? She got to be kidding me. “Just disappear.” I swat my hand, gesturing for her to leave.

  “I’m not going to leave completely, you know.”

  I was getting annoyed. “You know what?” I slapped her right across the face.

  Her head whipped to the side as her cheeks burned red from the impact and rage. She gritted her teeth and grabbed my hair. “You ! How dare you slap me?!”

  Before a teacher could come in and suspend us, Hoon stood in between us and broke us apart. “Enough! You’re causing a scene.”

  I don’t care. She’s the one who started it! I should have never been her friend in the first place. With one last glare, I fixed my clothes and walked off. Someday, I’m going to show her what it’s like to be hurt.