First Day Without Jaeseop

It All Started as a Dare

  Day 6: Saturday

  The weekend! Yes! But the bad thing is there’s nothing to do! Jaeseop had cancelled our date that I have been waiting for the past week which meant I cancelled all my activities! I could have gone with Hoon. But now that I think about it, I shouldn’t be going with Hoon after what he did to my poor boy!

  Ah! I’m going crazy!

  I paced around my room, thinking of something to do. I stared at my clock and saw that it was twelve in the afternoon. What’s there to do? I feel like I have no life whatsoever!

  “Myung Hee!” My Umma called from downstairs.

  “Yes!” I opened my door and poked my head out.

  “You need to practice your violin from time to time. You haven’t been touching it for years!”

  I groaned. It’s been a long time since I used my violin. In fact, I haven’t touched it ever since I joined Da Som’s group. What did that mean? I spun around and stared at my closet where I stashed my violin. I don’t really feel like playing it now.

  “If you’re not going to play, I’m just going to ask you to help me clean the house. Your father is busy working in the business.”

  “I know! I know!” I shouted. There’s no way I’m going to clean the house! I hate cleaning because it gives me allergies but I know I’ll have to do it once I have my own house. Hopefully my husband would know how to clean.

  Appa has taken over my grandpa’s business so he’s practically busy everyday. He rarely comes home early except for Sundays. That’s the only day where he comes home at around noon time.

  Also, my parents are pretty young. I’m seventeen and my Umma and Appa are 35. Yes, they had me when they were very young. I don’t think any of their parents forgave them but they don’t show it. They still show their affection but probably felt ashamed of what they did. I was the result but I could see Appa and Umma didn’t regret it.

  “Are you going to practice or are you going to help me clean?” Umma called out.

  I sneered. “I’ll play!”

  “I better hear you!”

  “Okay, okay!”

  I head to my closet and found my violin in the corner, still in its case. I pulled it out along with music sheets and a stand. I skim through the songs but didn’t feel inspired to play any of the songs I had in the past.

  Then an idea hit me.

  I had Jaeseop’s piece! I remember he let me have one!

  I rummaged through my binder and found the three paged music sheet. After a while, I realized it was piano music sheet. I groaned. Luckily I know how to play the piano but that meant I have to go all the way downstairs and ask my mom if I could play the piano instead.

  Ah, it wouldn’t hurt. I mean they’re both instruments I haven’t played in a while. I put up my violin and head downstairs. I found Umma cleaning in the living room where our grand piano was. “Umma.” I called and bowed.

  She stared at me. “Oh, Myung Hee I thought you said you were going to practice your violin?”

  “I was…” I held onto the piano sheet. “Can I just play the piano instead?”

  She smiled. The piano was her instrument while the violin was Appa’s. Umma came up to me and gave me a hug. “I don’t care what instrument you play. I just want to hear something relaxing while I clean and after you’re done, you can relax.”

  I grinned and sat on the piano. Before starting, I sight read the sheet while caressing the keys. It wasn’t that hard, but I know it will sound pretty. After all, Jaeseop wrote it. I could see so many erase marks while the final product was in pen.

  “Who wrote this?” Umma asked, looking over my shoulder.

  I jumped. “A friend.”

  “Oh. Go ahead and play it. I’d like to hear what this friend wrote.”

  I nodded and stared at the title. 0330. What did that mean? Oh, well. I took a deep breath and started playing it. I messed up a couple of times since it was the first time I played it but after a while, it came to me.

  It was a beautiful song, but I still didn’t understand what the meaning was behind it. I wonder if Jaeseop wrote lyrics to this song. He did say he wrote lyrics, didn’t he?

  Umma clapped whenever I finished. “It’s a beautiful piece. Who is this friend exactly?” Her eyebrows rose, knowing that none of the friend I had in the past composed music.

  “Ah…” I scratched my head. I’m not sure if I should tell her or not because she might ask him to come over. If he comes over, he might act rude and my parents will never accept him being my friend. “It’s one of the new students. His name is Kim Jaeseop.”

  Umma stared at me, then to the piano sheet. “He must be an intelligent boy then. Even I couldn’t compose music.” She paused and tapped her chin. “Then again, your father composes too but he’s not so intelligent.” She giggled.

  I giggle with her. Ah, the life being with a happy family.

  Umma disappeared for a moment and returned with more music sheets.

  I gaped at how thick the pile was. I pointed at them. “Uhm… Umma, what’s with all those music sheets?

  She grinned evilly. “I want you to play them. After hearing you play that piece, I noticed how rusty you are. You really need to pick back up on your music ability. Even your Appa and I haven’t forgotten how to play our instrument.”

  I took the sheets and looked through them. Some I had played in the past and some I have never seen before. There were also a few that required both a violin and piano. “Have you and Appa played these together?”

  She nodded. “Of course. We’ve been playing together ever since I moved to this town.” Umma turned around and started cleaning. “I better hear you or else you’re going to help me clean.

  I sighed. “Okay, umma.” I chose a random sheet and started playing it. In the middle of the piece, I started thinking about Jaeseop. I wondered if he could play an instrument, then we could play a piece together just like what Umma and Appa have done. I really want that to happen. We could be a music couple and usually those are one of the cutest couples alive!

  I was smiling to myself even until I finished the piece. I paused. The first day without Jaeseop wasn’t as bad as I thought. I mean, I’ll basically will have to play the piano the whole day or until Umma finished cleaning.

  Ah! I just can’t wait for Monday because I’ll be able to see Jaeseop’s face again! It’s only been one day and I’m already missing him!

~~~~

 Sorry for the short chapter! This was kind of filler... I'll try to update as soon as possible with a better event~ :D