Facial Expressions

It All Started as a Dare

Day 22 Monday:

  Another week! It’s week three of my relationship with Jaeseop! Soon the month is going to end, but I’m not really worrying about him breaking up with me. After all, we’re now officially together. It’s no longer a dare, but I’m pretty sure Da Som will still embarrass me if we ever do break up. Psh! I doubt it!

  However, I still want to confront Jaeseop and talk to him in person. It’s still confusing how he’s pretending to be a nerd and all that . I just want to hear everything from his mouth once again. Maybe this time I won’t be so confused.

  In the morning, I wanted to head to his locker, but Nana stopped me. Not on purpose, but on accident. “Good morning, Myung Hee.”

  I grin. I wasn’t annoyed by her because she’s my best friend, but if it was Da Som, of course I would make a face. “Hello, Nana. How are you?”

  “I’m good.” Her eyes go off in the distance. She frowned for a moment and sighed. “Seems like I’m not totally over Kiseop yet.”

  I turned around and saw him with the same girl as last week. We made eye contact and he immediately scowled. I stuck my tongue out, mockingly. I couldn’t stand being around that guy after what he did to Nana. “Don’t worry. You will someday like I did with Hoon. It took me, what? Three years until I have finally decided to let him go? Yeah, you can do it. You’re stronger than me.”

  She pursed her lips. “You’re right.”

  We continued to talk and walk to the classroom. I didn’t get the chance to meet Jaeseop by his locker but that’s okay. He sits right next to me anyways.

  Once in the classroom, Nana and I walk towards her desk. She sat on her seat while I stood next to her. We continued to talk until I spotted Hoon coming towards us. I’m not as annoyed by him as before. After all, I have no feelings for him and he doesn’t seem that bad of a guy. He just doesn’t know how to handle his temper.

  I smiled. “Good morning, Hoon.”

  He was shocked from my greeting. It was clear on his face. I laughed inside at his cute bunny face. Ah, a shocked bunny is adorable.

  Hoon bowed. “Good morning, Myung Hee, Nana,” he greeted both of us.

  “Good morning,” Nana greeted. Knowing her, she doesn’t move on so quickly but maybe, just maybe, I could hook them up together. A hot headed guy and a sweet innocent girl isn’t such a bad match. And I know Hoon is going to be way better than Kiseop by a mile!

  I glanced at the two. Neither of them was making eye contact. Nana was looking out in space while Hoon was staring at me. He’s probably waiting for me to say more. After all, he’s love struck for me.

  I heave a sigh. “What’s up?”

  He shook his head vigorously as if he was in deep thought earlier. “Oh! Uhm… I just came here to ask if you have a pencil I can borrow.”

  Ah, such a flirt, but it’s cute. It’s not like we’ll actually be together. I heaved a sigh and searched through my pencil bag for an extra pencil. When I found one, I gave it too him.

  He bowed and walked off.

  “You better return it by the end of the day!” I exclaimed. People don’t usually give pencils back and lose it in the end.

  Without turning around, he waved and said, “Don’t worry! I’ll give it to you before P.E today!”

  I grinned. He better…

  “So are you over Hoon?” Nana asked.

  I nodded. “I believe so. He feels like a close friend or a brother now. Sometimes I want to punch him in the guts, but other times I want to hug him. It’s kind of like that for Jaeseop, but his is much deeper.”

  Nana nodded.

  I spotted Jaeseop entering the room with a worried look on his face. I smiled, knowing what I could do to cheer him up. “I’m going to Jaeseop,” I said to Nana.

  “Alright.”

  I walked up to him and sat at my desk. “What’s wrong?” I asked, staring at his face.

  He smiled the moment our eyes met. “I was just thinking. And I forgot to do my English homework.”

  I flicked his forehead. “Hey! You’re not supposed to forget! You’re going to ruin your reputation if you do that again,” I scolded him like what a mother does to their child.

  He crinkled his nose. “Don’t worry, English isn’t until after lunch. I can work on it during the breaks. Plus it’s the rough draft.”

  I rolled my eyes. “So! You’re not supposed to forget!”

  “I know. Now stop talking about it or else other people will hear. I don’t want anyone to know!”

  I grinned. “Okay. I’ll stop, but can you please explain why you’re doing this?”

  He sighed through his nose. “I already told you, I knew we were to be married for business reasons and I wanted to know what you were like. I disguised myself to see how you’ll treat others. And at first, I thought you were just a brat but that’s because of a certain someone who corrupted you. You’re actually one of those naïve little girls who are completely air headed at times.”

  I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to be happy or not. Either way, I smacked him on his shoulder. “What’s that suppose to mean?”

  Jaeseop shrugged. “I’d rather have a naïve bride that a spoiled one.”

  I sneered. Ah whatever. I turned to him and noticed he had a troubled expression. “Are you sure that’s not it?” I asked. It seemed like homework wasn’t the only thing that was bothering him. I was worried. I hope he’s not sick.

  I placed my hand on his forehead and noticed his temperature was normal.

  He blushed. “What are you doing?”

  “I’m checking if you’re sick. But you’re not! So what’s wrong? What’s with these weird faces you’ve been making?”

  “I told you, I was thinking and I didn’t do my homework! I hope nobody will see me writing it in the last minute!”

  I patted his shoulder. “You’ll be fine.” I still didn’t believe him. I think there’s something more behind his mind but I can’t place a finger on it…

  The rest of the day went like that. On each break, Jaeseop would scribble something for his essay and erase if he messed up. A few times, he would have this strange expression on, especially during class. I know it wasn’t his thinking face because I’ve practically saw it everyday except for today.

  He was different.

  I’m not sure why, but I didn’t ask, knowing he would give me the same answer as this morning. Oh well, I shouldn’t be too worried about it. I bet he’ll be fine tomorrow. It’s a Monday and Mondays just causes things seem weird.

  I’m sure he’ll be fine.