The Start of a Rival

It All Started as a Dare

  Day 4 Thursday:

  Ah… Thurday. It seems as if I’ve been learning more and more things about Jaeseop everyday. I haven’t been practicing his piece because I don’t have time, but maybe on Sunday or something I’ll be able to try it out. I’m very curious.

  I headed to my locker to find Jaeseop opening his. He didn’t notice me, so I decided to sneak up on him. I went stealthily and quietly, making sure he wouldn’t notice me.

  It was no use.

  “What do you want?” Jaeseop asked as he turned his head.

  I froze. How does he do that? Does he have a sixth sense? I laughed nervously and scratched the back of my head. “I came here to say good morning! Is there something wrong with that?” I pouted, showing my cute side.

  He rolled his eyes and shook his head. Jaeseop opened his locker and stuffed his textbooks inside. He paused and smirked. “Remember the promise you made with me yesterday?”

  I blinked, not knowing what he meant.

  He scoffed. His eyes roll up as he hung his head back. “Are you that stupid?”

  “I seriously don’t know what you’re talking about.”

  Jaeseop pointed right at my nose. “You’re only allowed to ask me five questions and you’ve just asked one. So you have four more. Oh, and to answer your question… No. There’s nothing wrong with that, but why are you trying to sneak up on me?”

  I smiled. “I just felt like it.”

  He made a face. “Whatever. I’m going to class.” He slammed his locker and walked away.

  I made a face and opened mine. I still had to get my pencil and eraser so I couldn’t follow him this time. I grumbled to myself, “He’s such a meanie. He needs to lighten up or else he’ll age quicker.” I paused as his face popped into my mind. “Tch! He already looks old! What am I talking about?!”

  “Talking to yourself?” A voice piped in from beside me.

  I turned my head one side to see no one beside me. I closed my locker and turned the other way to see Hoon. I jumped. “Oh!” I laughed nervously. Crap. He heard me. “G-Good morning, Hoon.” I bow my head as my face burned.

  Hoon leaned against the locker, arms crossed over his chest. He stared at me and smiled. “Are you busy on Saturday?”

  I look up in shock. Is he going to ask me out on a date? My eyes brightened at the thought, but I remembered the date I have with Jaeseop. Plus, it’s better to play hard to get. “I’m sorry. I’m busy. Maybe later?”

  “Later? What are you doing on Saturday?” He stood straight and looked at me with his brown eyes.

  “I have a date with Jaeseop.”

  He sighed in annoyance and rolled his eyes. “That guy? I thought you were kidding when you told me that.”

  “Well, I wasn’t.”

  He sighed through his nose. “Ah…” His gaze went passed me.

  I turned around, but saw no one there. I guess he’s thinking. I turn back to him to find him staring right at me, face inches apart. I jerk back and blushed.

  Hoon laughed and patted my head. “You’re cute. I guess we could go next Saturday?” He looked at me expectantly.

  I wanted to go. My heart was screaming yes, but I was smarter than he thinks. I know how to think! I still remember I’m dating Jaeseop and it would be bad to cheat. I still have a dare to complete anyways. “I’m sorry, Hoon. I’m not available. I’m already taken by Jaeseop.”

  “I still think you’re lying. Why would a girl like you date someone like him? It’s quite unbelievable.”

  Those words made me snap. “Well, you better believe it because it’s true!” I crossed my arms over my chest and cocked my hips. “If you don’t like it, bug off.” With those words, I flipped my hair and strode to my classroom. Crap. I forgot we have the same class, too. He could be following me!

  I turn my head slowly, but didn’t see him anywhere. I turned around fully and searched the area. “Where did he go?!” I exclaimed.

  Students stared at me as they passed by. Some gave me weird looks.

  I blushed and went back to the direction was going to.

~~~

  I arrive at the classroom, seeing Da Som and Jaeseop talking. Da Som’s back was facing me so I have no idea what she’s saying and what her expression was but I did know she was mad. Her hands were placed on her hips as she cocked them. She continually tapped her foot impatiently.

  As for Jaeseop, he was rolled his eyes as he heard her speak. His eyebrows rose as he spoke. He had an annoyed look. He rubbed the temples of his forehead with his finger and stood. “Would you stop talking to me? It’s the morning for Pete’s sakes!” He exclaimed, causing the few students in here to stare.

  Da Som stayed silent.

  I stepped closer to them and cleared my throat. Immediately I got glares from Da Som and Jaeseop. I shook it off and spoke, “Uhm… Good morning.”

  Jaeseop rolled his eyes and plopped back on his chair.

  Da Som had a major mood swing. She grinned brightly and spread her arms out to give me a hug. “Ah! Myung Hee! There you are! Good morning! How are you?”

  “I’m good.”

  She didn’t leave my gaze as she spoke about Jaeseop. “We were just discussing some things about your date. I wanted it to be perfect for you but he refused to listen to me so we got into an argument.” She clenched her fist. “This nerd doesn’t listen very well.”

  Jaeseop rolled his eyes and shook his head.

  I laughed nervously. “Oh really?”

  “Yeah. You should really teach him how to listen. It would cause a lot of trouble in the future especially if he ever gets married.”

  “Ah…” I didn’t know what to say. She was insulting my “boyfriend”. It felt awkward thinking of him as my boyfriend, but to go with the dare, I have to at least act like I care. “Don’t worry, Da Som. He’s not going to be like that all the time.”

  “Good!” She shot him a glare. “I’m going to my seat now. Tell me if anything goes wrong.” She started towards the back of the room.

  I heaved a sigh and sat next to him.

  He stared at me. “What do you want?” He spat.

  “This is my seat!” Geez, this boy needs to relax! “I’m just want to ask you what really happened.”

  He stared at me. “Ah… You have three more questions left.”

  “But it wasn’t even in question form!”

  “It’s still a question.” He pointed out.

  I sneered. This boy can be really sneaky like a fox sometimes. It annoys me how he twists words so easily. “Okay. Are you-” I stopped myself as I was about to ask, “Are you going to tell me.” Instead I waited patiently for his answer.

  He smirked. “Alright. I’ll tell you what happened. Your so called ‘friend’ over there tried to flirt with me. I don’t know why, but she did. It was annoying me. She kept flipping her hair and giggling. I don’t understand girls nowadays.” Jaeseop sighed. “Continuing. I told her to get off my desk because she was sitting on it. That ticked her off, so she started yelling at me. At first I ignored her until she called me a nuisance. So I told her she was actually the nuisance and that’s how our whole argument started. From now on, I declare Da Som my enemy. Such a long story… Are you satisfied?”

  I grinned. “I sure am.”

  “Okay, now leave me alone.” He faced the front.

  I made a face and decided to head to Nana’s desk even though she’s not there yet. This boy really does need to know how to respect a woman! He’s so childish sometimes! It annoys me to death!

  I sneered at him before heading to Nana’s desk in the middle of the classroom. The moment I got there, I spotted Hoon coming in. My eyes widened. I didn’t want to face him now!

  I watched as he strode to his seat near the window and placed his stuff down. Our eyes met as he looked back.

  I avoided his gaze and found Nana coming in. I waved at her. “Nana!”

  She responded to my voice. “Myung Hee! Good morning!” Nana came up to me and hugged me.

  During that embrace, I saw Hoon taking his eyes off me and started talking to his friends who were coming in. I heaved a sigh. Good. I could at least relax for this time.

  All of a sudden, I saw him brushing his friends away as he strode towards Nana and me. I panicked as my gaze went from Nana to Hoon. Ah! What am I going to do?

  Then another fortunate occurance happened. Da Som stood in front of him, blocking his way. She started talking to him about who knows what. At first Hoon wasn’t listening, but Da Som continued talking. She grabbed his cheeks and forced him to look at her.

  That bit- How dare she touch Hoon roughly like that!

  I wanted to step in between them, but Nana stopped me. “What’s wrong?”

  “Oh. Nothing.” I slowly sat down while watching the two talk. Hoon didn’t seem interested at all, but Da Som kept him there. I felt bad but glad. I still couldn’t face him. Maybe tomorrow. I’m playing hard to get anyways.

~~~

  The school day was normal as usual. I didn’t get to talk to Jaeseop as much as I used to because I couldn’t ask questions over five times. I didn’t want to use them up just in case I had a really important question.

  However, nothing came into my head. What a relief! But it felt lonely without him.

  I was putting my stuff back in the locker, ready to go home when I spotted Jaeseop and Da Som walking together down the hallway.

  Jaeseop was trying to get away from her, speeding his pace. But Da Som was quick enough to follow him. She continually ranted at him about how he needed to respect her. She was popular and people revolved around her. She practically ruled the place! (Not really, but that’s what I caught in their conversation.)

  I knew Jaeseop had enough because he finally faced her. They were now close enough for me to hear.

  “You know what? Just leave your plastic body away from me! I don’t want to hear your voice or see your face around me!”

  “Plas- Hey! How dare you say that to me! I’ll have you know this is a 100% real!”

  “Whatever. Either way, you’re still a stuck up ! Leave me alone!” He spun around to leave but Da Som continued.

  “You are the here! You complain about almost everything! I don’t get you! You’re so stupid for being such a nerd!” She stomped her foot. “From now on, you’re my number one target and it’s not a good one! Hey!” She screamed as Jaeseop walked away from her.

  He ignored her all the way to his locker. He didn’t even look at me but said, “I don’t understand why you’re friends with her.”

  Why am I friends with her? Well, she did give me everything. She gave me popularity, a new look that fitted me, and a group of friends. I guess I stick with her because I could put up with it.

  Jaeseop looked at me when he was finished. Since he didn’t get an answer from me, he scoffed and left.

  I pursed my lips. He didn’t even say goodbye or anything. He must really be in a bad mood. I could also see he has made a rival and that rival is Da Som. Ah… This is not good. Not good at all…

~~~~~

  This is a whole new chapter from my original. I didn't have this chapter until now! Hehe~