Why Worry?

It All Started as a Dare

Day 9 Tuesday:

  Jaeseop's back and I felt all giddy inside. It's better if he's here with me, that way I can hide from Hoon. I couldn't believe he kissed me! My first kiss! I don't know why, but I didn't exactly enjoy it. For some reason, there was no spark. I mean I still have a crush on him, but there was nothing.

  Jaeseop seemed to have notice me thinking all the time because by lunch he sat next to me and asked, "What's wrong?"

  I shook my head. He can't know what happened yesterday. I don't want to hurt him after he was sick yesterday. "It's nothing."

  He shrugged and left.

  He left! Just like that?! He asked a question and left? What kind of guy does that? Jaeseop can be so confusing sometimes. He's mean to me once, then he's nice, and mean again. Can't he treat me only one way? But that's boring. I guess him changing a lot is better...

  I watched him as he sat by himself, reading a new book, once again. I want to go up to him, but Nana came over with a tray of noodles and sat right where Jaeseop was sitting.

  "Hey!" She greeted.

  "Hi..." I said gloomy. I still couldn't get the fact that Hoon kissed me yesterday out of my head. I just wanted to hit him after the kiss, but I couldn't and ran instead. I had a chance, but I didn't do it. Stupid me!

  Nana felt my forehead. "You don't have a fever, so what's wrong?"

  "I don't want to talk about it." I answered.

  She shivered and started chop sticking her noodles.

  "How about you? It seems like Kiseop did something to you. Did you two make out?"

  Her head bolted up and she goes to defensive mode. "No! I’m not like that! Ah! And I know he’ll be able to wait for our kiss!”

  "Don't get too hooked up on him." I took a chug of my Dr. Pepper and finished it in one gulp. My throat began to burn from the bubbles and my eyes watered. Ugh! I'll never do that again.

  "Are you okay? Why are you crying?" I never noticed Jaeseop sitting on the other side of me until he started speaking. He took my chin, turned my head towards him, and started wiping the tears.

  I jumped up and back, wiping the remaining tears he didn't get to wipe. "I'm not crying! Since when were you there anyways!" I shouted, pointing at him.

  He smirked and got up. "Just now. I was going to ask you something, but then I forgot."

  I could see it through his eyes (and glasses) that he was lying. He so does remember what he’s going to say, but I didn't argue. I'm not in the mood to. I just sat back down and looked up to him. "Well, once you do remember, tell me."

  He nodded once. "Sure thing,” he said and left, again.

  It got me frustrated, but I let it go and faced Nana who was smiling.

  "You two look like a perfect couple," she teased, taking a chopstick full of noodles that slid by the time it reached . It fell back on her tray and she stared at it.

  "Oh, you be quiet." I took the soda can and crushed it. Heading towards the trash can, I spotted Hoon going the same direction. I changed course and go to another one. I glanced back and saw him following me. What does he want? I don't want to talk to him right now.

  I tossed the can into the trash and turned back. This time, I saw Da Som talking to him. Phew! That was close. If it weren't for her, then I would have to deal with him.

  When I headed back, they were done talking and Da Som headed towards me instead of following Hoon, who went the other way. I tried to pretend to not see her, but she continued to come over. What does this want to say to me now?

  Nana nudged me and moved her eyes to her direction.

  I nodded my head and mouthed, "I know."

  "Hey, Da Som." I heard Jaeseop's voice from behind me.

  I looked over my shoulder and saw him standing in her way. She seemed annoyed, but noticing it was Jaeseop, she started to go on flirting mode: twirling her hair and smiling.

  "Hi, Jaeseop." She flashed a smile that always gets a guy. It was a killer smile that I am jealous of. She's the only person I knew that could do that.

  Jaeseop's back was facing me, so I couldn't see his expression and that annoyed me more than his mood swings. Why should I care anyways? I continued to watch, wanting to know what's going to happen.

  Da Som saw me watching them and smiled a suspicious smile, making me watch her even more. She started talking to him about me. "You know Myung Hee used to have glasses and braces. She looked so much different and..." I couldn't believe the next words she whispered to him, "Oh and one time she asked this guy out and she got dumped-

  "And your point is?" Jaeseop cut her off. In my head I was like, “Yes! Way to go Jaeseop!”

  Da Som cocked her hip. "My point is she's not exactly a pretty girl like me. I had to train her to become the way she is now."

  "So you're the one who corrupted her." He crossed his arms over his chest. "Now, I can really call you a . I'm wasting my time with you, so go away." He swatted his hand to indicate her to go and turned his head to the side.

  I smiled. Ha! That's what you get Da Som! Thank you for protecting me from the beginning, Jaeseop.

  She gave a pissed off look and took his shoulders, pulling him close and kissed him.

 My heart cringed as I saw the scene. What is she doing with my boyfriend? Why is she kissing him? I should be the one to do that! Wait. Me?! What am I thinking?!

  The kiss was only a split second. Jaeseop had the quickest reaction I have ever seen, pulling away and shoving her as far as he could without hurting her. He wiped his mouth with his sleeve and backed off. "You ing idiot! What the hell was that for?!"

  Jessica smiled and tapped her lips. "Did you enjoy it?"

  He may have a quick reaction, but his reply was late. "No. Why would I?"

  She shrugged and her heels. "You know you liked it." she said and headed towards the group I used to hang out with.

  Jaeseop stood there, continually wiping his lips and cursing under his breath.

  I froze and stared at Jaeseop. Why does it feel like it should be me to kiss Jaeseop? Why am I so desperate for him to kiss me instead? I don't want these feelings toward him. I know I'll end up getting heart broken. And I don’t want to have that same experience again.

~~~

  After lunch, I couldn’t look at Jaeseop. He may be sitting right next to me, but I felt embarrassed. I didn’t know how to react after the kiss. Ugh! Two kisses in one week! This is definitely going to be on my worse week record…

  “Myungie…” Jaeseop muttered during the last period of the day.

  For the first time after lunch, I looked at him.

  “Don’t think and worry too much, you get even more uglier.”

  My eye twitched at his comment, but after I thought about it, he was probably worried about me. I grinned and patted his head. “You don’t have to be worried about me.”

  He scowled and swatted my hand away. “I told you I hate it when people touch my hair.”

  I pouted and rubbed my hand. He sure can slap pretty hard. “I’m sorry, Ki-” Oh, I almost called him Kitty. “I’m sorry, Jaeseop.”

  His eye squinted as he knew I was about to call him Kitty but he didn’t do anything since I didn’t say it. Like I said, don’t worry too much. You’ll get uglier and age faster.”

  I think you’re the one who ages faster than me, you oldie. I crinkle my nose. He definitely looks older than me. Well, people age differently. Some age well and some age not so well.

  Jaeseop stopped talking to me after that and returned to being his normal nerd self. But occasionally I found him staring out into space with a distant look. I don’t know what he was thinking about but it worried me. What if he was thinking about the kiss? Could it be that he actually did enjoy it?

  I didn’t like the thought, but why should I care? I’m not his real girlfriend right? This is only a dare. It’s not a true relationship. Nope. It’s not at all. We’re just close friends pretending to be in love and afterwards, we’ll just separate as if nothing happened.

  I sighed at the thought. Why am I thinking about this anyways? I shouldn’t worry. Lie Jaeseop said, I look uglier if I do. Wait. Uglier? He’s calling me ugly isn’t he? Ah! That boy!