An Interesting Phone Call

It All Started as a Dare

Day 14 Sunday:

 Sunday, a rest day for me. I sighed. What now? There's nothing for me to do and every time I called Jaeseop, he's not picking up! What's wrong with this boy? Can't he see I need him?! Is he really mad about that kiss from yesterday? I hope not!

  I chew on my lip, thinking what I can do today. I'm feeling lazy and I don't want to get out of the house unless someone forces me...

  *Ring!*

  I got up from my bed and pick up my phone. It's Nana. I checked the time. It's only 8 o'clock in the morning?! What does she want at this time? The phone continued to ring and I finally got annoyed by my little ring tone, answering it. "Hello? Nana, what's up?"

  Little sobs were being heard on the other line.

  "Nana? Answer me! Don't you dare be dying on me!" I yelled at her.

  A little sniffle here and there and she answered, "Kiseop broke up with me..." Again, she broke down into tears.

  "That's little bastard! I knew you shouldn't have gone out with him. What did he do?"

  She sniffed again. "We were on a date yesterday like how you and Jaeseop were and... and..." There was a long pause as she lightly blew her nose. "And I saw him with this other girl... They were making out I tell you! Making out! Whenever he had me..." her voice trailed.

  I clutched the phone in my hand. He's dead once we get back to school. D-E-A-D. That little bastard can't hurt my friend. I may not be the type to do that, but when it comes to friends, I'll defend them. I rubbed my thumb around my phone. Now there are three enemies. Kiseop, Da Som, and Hoon...

  "What are you going to do?" I asked her calmly.

  "Nothing." She replied.

  "Nothing?! Why? If I were you, I would beat the crap out of that person."

  "I know you would, but I'm not you. It's okay." Another pause and a sniffle. "I think I'm going to be okay. I'll try to avoid him. How's you and Jaeseop?"

  The sudden subject change, made my head spin. Adding to that, it was Jaeseop! "Uh... N-Nothing special..."

  "Really?"

  "Yeah! Now go to sleep! It's still early for you!" I shouted at the phone and hung up.

  My heart was beating quicker than usual every time I heard Jaeseop's name and the short kiss kept popping up. I could barely breathe, every time I see him. Is this what love is all about? But does he even like me that way?

  I plop back on my bed and closed my eyes. It was only for a couple of seconds before I received another call. I checked the caller ID and answered it, seeing it was Jaeseop. “Hello!” I exclaimed through the phone.

  “Hello!” An unknown voice came from the other end.

  Wait. Who is this? I checked my phone and saw Jaeseop’s name. “Uhm… Who is this?"

  “Oh! I forgot to introduce myself! I’m Jaeseop’s brother.” The unknown person said, emphasizing brother for some odd reason.

  “Uhm…” I didn’t know what to say. I did want to ask why he’s calling me on Jaeseop’s phone, but that would be rude. Also, I was kind of hoping it was Jaeseop since yesterday was probably a huge shock for him.

  “You wished this was AJ right?”

  “AJ?”

  “Oh! We call him AJ. By the way my name is Kyoungjae, but I like being called Eli.”

  “N-Nice to meet you.” It felt awkward talking through the phone with a stranger. I don’t know what to say. “Where’s Jaeseop or AJ?”

  “He’s sleeping right now. That’s why I took his phone. He usually wakes up late in the mornings anyways. But he did have fun at your date yesterday.”

  I flushed. How did he know about our date? But then again, he was gone for most of the day and… Wait a minute. “You were stalking us, weren’t you?!”

  He chuckled. “I wouldn’t exactly say stalking. Maybe more like getting information. This was the first time I actually saw him with a girl and adding to that, on a date!”
  I kept quiet as I pieced things together. No wonder Jaeseop was in a hurry to go home and he was acting strange, too!

  “Who’s that?” I heard another voice in the background.

  “It’s AJ, girlfriend!” Eli exclaimed.

  My heart skipped a beat at those words. Did he just call me Jaeseop’s girlfriend? We are together but not officially.

  “You better hang up before AJ wakes up,” the voice in the background continued.

  “It’s okay Soohyun! He won’t know. He’s asleep anyways.”

  “Ah… Okay… Do whatever you want but don’t point a finger at me when you get caught.”

  “Don’t worry,” Eli assured.

  I felt like I was forgotten, but that doubt was gone when Eli said, “That was his first kiss, you know?”

  I stiffened. That’s a lie – he ‘kissed’ Da Som. Unless, he didn’t tell his brothers that… I bit my lip. “What do you mean?”

  “That’s the first time he had an actual kiss from a gir-”

  “What the hell are you doing with my phone?!” Jaeseop’s voice echoed through the speaker.

  “Oops. Time for me to go! AJ-” With that, he hung up on me.

  My heart was beating uncontrollably in my chest. What was Eli going to say? I mean he was probably going tell him that was the first time he kissed a girl, but I’m sure he had more to say. Eli seemed like one of those people who have a lot to say.

  I fell back on my bed and stared at the ceiling. Who knew Jaeseop’s brothers were so cheerful. They sounded nothing like Jaeseop. They were cheery while he seems so reserved.

  I closed my eyes and rest my forearm on top of my eyes, phone in my hand.

  I heard my phone once again and without looking at the caller ID, I answered it, “Hello?”

  “Sorry about that. Eli was being immature and called you. Don’t listen to him. He’s an idiot sometimes.”

  I grinned. Is he embarrassed about his brothers? “It’s okay.”

  There was a long pause before, “A-About the kiss.”

  I blushed from those words.

  There was another long pause. “I-I-”

  “He liked it!” Eli’s voice spoke through the speaker.

  “HEY!” Jaeseop screamed, causing my eardrums to ring.

  “He’s blushing!” Eli continued.

  I laughed at the childishness.

  “I’m going to kill you once I hang up!”

  “Go ahead! I have Soohyun to protect me!”

  “I told you I’m not getting involved,” Soohyun’s voice was added to the conversation.

  “What?!” Eli exclaimed.

  “Anyways…” Jaeseop said, continuing to the conversation. “As I was saying-”

  “I’m sorry.” I confessed. I didn’t want him to be like this. I don’t want him to lie. But is he lying? I’m on the phone, so I couldn’t tell.

  “Sorry?” his voice was filled with confusion and I could imagine him making a face.

  “I’m sorry for kissing you.”

  He didn’t say anything for a moment and cleared his throat. “Actually, I don’t feel the need to apologize.”

  I held my breath.

  “I-”

  “He fantasizes about you!” Eli shouted.

  “I’m going to kill you!” That was the last thing I heard before he hung up on me.

  In my bed, I kept thinking about his words. There’s no need for me to apologize. Does that mean he liked the kiss or what? I don’t understand!

  After a few more minutes, my phone rang again. I answered, “Hello.”

  Jaeseop was breathing hard. “Sorry about that. I had to take care of something.”

  I giggled.

  “Wh-What?”

  I shook my head. Remembering he can’t see me, I said, “Nothing. Continue on with what you’re going to say.”

  “I-I-I-I wa-want to see you.”

  My eyes widened at his words. He wanted to see me now? I was lost for words.

  “I mean, if you want to. I’m not forcing you to see me.”

  I smiled. “Not today.”

  “Wha-”

  “I have family matters to attend to. But I promise you, I will meet with you tomorrow. Is that fine?”

  “Yeah. At least Eli and Soohyun wouldn’t be home.” He scoffed.

  “Yeah. So I guess I’ll see you back at school?”

  “Yeah. Goodbye, Myungie.”

  “Goodbye… AJ.”

  I was about to hang up before Jaeseop’s voice stopped me. “Don’t call me that. I like it when you call me Jaeseop.”

  I blushed even more. Ah! This boy is making me go crazy! I think I’m really in love with him now! “Okay, Jaeseop.”

  “Bye.” With that, he hung up.

  I hung up and placed my phone on the bedside table. I was smiling to myself like an idiot. Jaeseop. Oh how I love to say his name. I think I really do like this boy. At first it was just for a dare, but now I’m head over heels for this boy! I just hope he won’t hurt me. But I know he won’t. He doesn’t seem like the type. But I still have my doubts. It didn’t see, like he liked me in past. It seemed as if he hated me! Was the kiss the trigger to make him fall in love with me or did he actually like me from the beginning. I don’t know…