It All Started as a Dare

It All Started as a Dare

  My life didn't start whenever I was a baby, but when middle school came. Elementary, I was known as the quiet and probably the loner girl. In middle school, I was known as the nerd of the century. I made all A's in every class. I wore glasses and braces which won't come off until the end of eighth grade. I could have advanced, but I decide not to. I wanted to stay with my own peers. It made me feel more in place. The only bad thing was popular girls and guys avoid me. As expected, but I still felt lonely. My best friend, Na Eun would always tell me, "You have to have confidence on yourself!" Her words were the only thing that motivated me. But when she moved, everything changed.

  I had a crush on this guy named Yeo Hoon Min and I meant a crush! Whenever I could, I would take a short glance at him and maybe talk to him if there was no one around. I'm not sure how, but soon Da Som, the head of this popular group came up to me and said, "I dare you to confess to Hoon. I know you like him. If you do, you can become one of us. That way you won't be such a loser anymore."

  Yeah. I know what you're thinking. 'Don't do it! She's a !' But I was young, barely halfway through sixth grade and a clueless one when it came to common sense. Plus she has never done anything to me before except ignore me. I also thought if I joined her group, more people will talk to me. So I basically did what she told me and I totally regret it.

  It was Valentine's Day. (That's when they told me to confess.) I wrote a letter the day before and had a huge struggle with it. I wrote and wrote and couldn't find the right words. In the end, I just put Happy Valentine's Day! Pretty plain, but what I was going to say was more than that.

  So it was the end of the day and I met him at his locker. I knew Da Som and her group was watching me to make sure I actually did it.

  Okay, I held out the letter to him and said, "Happy Valentine's Day." I was looking straight into his beautiful brown eyes, it made me very queasy. They were so perfect.

  He stared at me, then to the letter. He took it which made my heart rise and start beating as fast as it could. "Thanks," He said in his cool tone. This was probably his millionth letter today, so it was nothing special.

  I still stood there, fiddling with my fingers, my face turning bright red. I finally got the words out, "Will you go out with me?"

  I could tell he wanted to laugh, but he didn't. He turned away and replied, "I'm sorry. You're just not my type." With that, he walked right pass me.

  As for me, I was standing there like an idiot. What did I expect? Someone like me, no one would want.

  Da Som came over to me and patted my shoulder. "It's okay, Darling. There's still more boys out there. At least now you know his true colors. Like I promise, come with us. We'll do a whole make-over on you. And maybe you can get your revenge on him."

  I started crying. I didn’t want to get revenge on him because I still had a crush on him. Hesitantly, I nodded. "Okay." I couldn’t believe my crush had rejected me so coldly. I wasn’t expecting it, but I thought if I changed, people would like me.

  That's how it all started: me, being the nerd, to the total hottie of the school. I guess I was satisfied. I mean, I had more friends and more admirers. I no longer had my glasses, but my braces were still there. Although, it's middle school, most people have braces at that time.

  Everyday, Da Som, her group, and I would all sit at the same table at lunch and rate people by their looks and others. Sometimes, we spoke about other people or new things we got. I barely had things to say because I never really got new items, but since there were a lot of us, nobody cared who spoke. It went on like this every year.

  When high school hit, almost half of us went to different schools, but the majority went to the same high. NH High. It was basically like middle school only bigger.

  Then halfway through the first semester of junior year, there was a new student. He was the talk of the school all because he got A's on his entrance exam, since he came from another city. His name was Kim Jaeseop. He was exactly like me when I was in middle school: the outsider, loner, and studier.

  One day, Da Som dared one of us to date him for a whole month. She wasn't talking to any of us in particular, but she wanted someone to. I'm not sure what was going on in her head at that time, but she was desperate. I thought about it. Maybe I should do it. After all, I can relate to him and maybe I can change him...

  "I'll do it." I said to them.

  "Go ahead then." Da Som pointed at Jaeseop who was sitting at a table with few people, but they were still a chair apart.

  I stood up and ed the top of my shirt just to show a tiny bit of cleavage. I wasn't the type to do that, but it would make the girls satisfied.

  I sat in front of him. He was reading a book while eating. Who does that? He didn't notice me until I said, "Hey."

  He looked up from his book and stared at me. "What do you want?" He asked politely.

  I gave off a smile. I thought he would be ugly with pimples all over his face and big buck tooth teeth, but no. He was cute... in a way. He wore these nerd glasses, a few pimples here and there, these cat-like, brown eyes (I'm not sure how else to describe them, they were pretty like a girls), light brown layered hair, and braces, but at the same time he was strangely familiar. Where have I seen him? 

  Not only did I smile, but I said, "What would you do if someone asks you if you'd like to go out with them?" I twirled my hair.

  He raised an eyebrow. "If you're talking about you and me... then no. I know your type of girls and I'm not interested. And button your shirt up." He stared at my chest.

  I narrowed my eyes and roughly button my shirt back up. "Why not?"

  "I already told you." Jaeseop continued reading whatever he was reading.

  I reached over and shut the book. "Come on. I'm pretty and popular. What more do you want?" How could a boy reject me when I could give him more than any normal girl in this school? Is he deaf? Is he blind? What is it?

  He gave off a sigh. "I want you to leave me alone. That's all." He shook his head and smirked, "Even if you're popular and pretty, I don't care. I'd rather have someone nice and unpopular." Jaeseop stood and started to leave, but I grabbed the hem of his shirt.

  He snorted, "You're so persistent! Leave me alone!" Jaeseop tried getting out of my grasp. He managed to do so and was walking away.

  "Wait!" I shouted.

  "What?" An annoyed expression was plastered on his face, but when he noticed my disparity, he sat back down.

  "Just for a month," I whispered and held out a finger. I looked around to make sure Da Som and her group wasn’t watching. When I was certain they weren't, I continued, "One month is all I'm asking. Then you can return to your normal nerd life. One month," I repeated to make sure he got what I was saying.

  He rolled his eyes and gave off a loud sigh through his nose. "Fine. One month. Anyways, I'll be leaving at that time. There's something important I have to do afterwards."

  I grinned. "Thank you." I shook his hand. "I promise to leave you alone once the one month is over."

  "Okay. Okay. Now leave." He motioned his hands and returned to reading his book.

  I head back to the table with the girls, smiling like crazy. Success!

  "So? What did he say?" Da Som asked, eyes sparkling with interest. She was really anticipating my answer.

  "Yes." I simply stated and sat next to her. I smirked at the thought of him being my boyfriend for a month. I’m pretty sure I can handle it.

  Everyone giggled and glanced at Jaeseop.

  “You better keep the dare or else we’ll tell the whole school about that day with Hoon,” one of the girls stated.

  My eyes widened. I haven’t forgotten about that day, but I wasn’t thinking about it until now. I didn’t want anyone to know about that day! It was too embarrassing! But the sad thing is I’m still in love with him. I don’t know why, but he’s still in my heart. “I-”

  “You don’t have to do it, Darling,” Da Som explained. “Song Ra was just saying that, but you will have a punishment if you don’t complete the full month.”

  I closed my mouth and nodded.

  Da Som smiled, evilly. "We'll make sure he'll have the best girlfriend ever," she stated sarcastically, "Myung Hee, what you're going to do is-"

  "No," I cut her off, "Let me have a regular relationship with him. Don't do anything. I'll figure out something to do." But what? My objective was to convince him to not be a nerd, but he appeared way too stubborn to listen to me. I'm not sure if it'll work. I hope it does. I mean, who wouldn’t listen to me? It won’t be that difficult now, would it? I’m sure I can complete this whole month and convince him to leave that nerdy world. Just you wait Jaeseop. You’re going to enter a whole new world.

  And this is how my second life started and it all started as a dare.

~~~~~~

As I was looking back on this story, I realized how short the chapters were! I'm having to edit and revise to make it more interesting! There were some chapters where I got giddy, but I needed to add more emotion. I had to change a ton of things! But this chapter wasn't so hard. The rest of them were T^T I had to add more chapters so it wouldn't be so confusing geh! So you guys definitely have an exclusive look into this! You're so lucky I love you guys or else I wouldn't be writing this story and making it better! And I know, I know AJ and Hoon are older than high schoolers, but I wanted to use them as the main characters XP Just pretend they're in Junior Year.