Come Back

It All Started as a Dare

Day 29 Monday:

  Monday and I have decided to talk to Jaeseop for real this time. This time if he tries running away from me, I’m going to catch him.

  In the morning, I wanted meet him at his locker but I found Nana and Hoon. They spoke to me, asking if I was feeling better. I didn’t get mad, but a bit annoyed. Everyone kept asking that. I told them I was doing better and was thinking about talking to Jaeseop. They said it was good that I would be doing that and let me go.

  I merrily skipped to class. I’m sure people were staring at me, laughing because of Saturday while a few who didn’t know were giving me strange looks. I was depressed for nearly a while week and now I came here like it was the best day of my life.

  I stood in front of my classroom door and stared at it. I couldn’t breathe as I began thinking about what I would say to Jaeseop. I’m starting to panic after I realized I didn’t have a plan other than chase after him. What should I say first? What if he doesn’t respond? What if he gives me cold shoulders? There are so many possibilities and I need to know what to do if that happens.

  I took a deep breath and stepped inside. The first gaze I met was not Jaeseop, but Da Som. She had a smug look. I rolled my eyes and sat down next to Jaeseop.

  He was reading a book.

  “Good morning,” I greeted.

  His eyes shift, but he doesn’t say anything.

  I pursed my lips. “I said good morning,” I whined. Jaeseop, please talk to me. Eli and Soohyun said they would talk to you. I wonder what they told him.

  “Good morning, Myung Hee,” he greeted without leaving his book.

  Myung Hee. What happened to Myungie? “How are you?”

  “Good.”

  Aish. What can I say now? This conversation is going nowhere!

  “Just because you think you can get back to him, doesn’t mean your punishment could be erased just like that,” Da Som’s voice piped into my thoughts.

  I sneered. Why does she keep popping up? “Leave us alone.” I said through gritted teeth.

  She flipped her hair. “I can’t. No matter what, I won’t leave you alone.”

  “Why not?”

  “I just like seeing your pathetic sight.”

  At those words, Jaeseop stood from his chair, eyes filled with rage. His book fell on the desk, creating a loud bang. A fist was up as if he would punch her any second.

  She smirked. “You think you could hurt me? I’m a girl and if you lay a finger on me, you could get suspended or even expelled.”

  With that, lowered his fist, but said, “I don’t understand you at all. I don’t understand what’s going on in that little head of yours but with that attitude, you’ll never be successful. You’ll never live a full life. Sure you have people you know, but they’ll just throw you away when they realize how poor and pathetic you are.”

  Da Som completely ignored everything he said.

  I glared at her. This . Even I don’t understand why she’s doing this. All I know is she’s one of those spoiled girls who think money and popularity can get you anywhere. But in truth, it gets you nowhere unless you know how to handle it.

  Jaeseop sighed and shook his head. He slowly sat on his chair. “No matter how many insults you spat at Myung Hee, I will never let it slide.”

  My eyes widened at his words. Does that mean he still cares for me?

  Da Som’s eyes widened, but she smirked again, “So you still care for her? Ha! This is even more pathetic! Even you can’t move on!”

  I could tell Jaeseop was trying his best to restrain himself. He was trembling with rage as his hand was balled into a fist. He may be trying to fight back, but I wasn’t. I stood and grabbed her shirt. “Shut up.” I simply said and pushed her away from us. “We are definitely not pathetic. You are.”

  She narrowed her eyes and walked off.

  People who were watching ooed and carefully paid attention to Da Som. She sneered at all of them as she realized she was defeated. I hope she stops messing with us now that she knows I won’t hold back. Not anymore. I’ll fight her if I have to.

  I sat down and looked at Jaeseop. He was back to reading his book as if nothing happened. I sighed. Jaeseop. Come back to me. I thought.

  His gaze went to mine as he said, “I’m sorry for everything.”

  My eyes widened and softened. “It’s not your fault. I mean, it sort of is since you didn’t tell me what’s going on!” I exclaimed and smacked him on the shoulder.

  He frowned. “I didn’t want to hurt you.”

  “But you did. I don’t care if my family’s business gets bought. As long as I have you, then I’m happy.” I paused, “That is if you promise to take care of my family, too.” I don’t want Appa to loose his job. Umma doesn’t work but she could look for one. However, that means, she would be less frequently at home.

  He slightly grinned, “I’ll try to make sure your family is safe.”

  “What if we do get married? Will your Appa forget about it?”

  Jaeseop shrugged. “He did want that to happen and in the past he told me, he wanted me to marry someone of wealth.” He paused. “He didn’t say who…”

  I grinned. “Did you know it’s almost the end of the month?”

  He nodded.

  “Just one more day.”

  Jaeseop nodded once more.

  “Do you want to get back together?” I asked, hoping he would say yes. I want him back. I want him to be mine once again. I don’t want him to worry about the business and just focus on everything around him. I want him to enjoy life and not stress so much. No wonder he looks old for his age.

  To my disappointment, he shook his head. “Not yet.”

  I frowned. Why not? Why doesn’t he want to go back to me? Eli and Soohyun said he hasn’t been acting the same anymore.

  “I still need to think about this.” He whispered.

  Think about it? Think about what? All I’m asking is him coming back to me. I just want to be together again like in the old days. The thought of his Appa shouldn’t be holding him back. I’m sure my Appa will be able to do something. I’m sure everything will work out fine if that’s what he’s worried about.

  “I don’t understand.”

  Jaeseop bit his lip. “I don’t know if I’m ready for a relationship.”

  “Then we could just be friends.” Close friends.

  He shook his head. “I like you more than a friend.”

  “Then why can’t we be together again.” I bet it’s because of his Appa.

  “I just don’t want to.”

  “It’s your Appa, right?”

  He stiffened.

  “He wants us together, but you don’t want to force me,” I simply said.

  No words came out of his mouth.

  I continued, “I don’t care about having an arranged marriage because I love you. I’ll do anything to be with you. I know I won’t stop loving you.” I paused to see if he would say something, but he doesn’t. Instead, his head bows.

  “Jaeseop… Please, come back to me,” I pleaded.

  He looks at me with sad eyes. “I want to, but at the same time I don’t. I really don’t know what to do in this situation.”

  “I don’t care about anything. I just want to be with you.”

  He avoided my gaze.

  “Please. Don’t worry about me. I can handle the business life no matter how much I hate it. As long as I’m with you, I will put up with it.”

  Jaeseop bit his lip, still not answering me.

  I force him to look at me by pulling his chin. I grinned and whispered, “I love you and we’ll be together forever.” With those words, I pulled him into a kiss.