Postpone

It All Started as a Dare

Day 5 Friday:

  Today is Friday! Yes! It’s the day before school ends for the weekend. I’m so excited because it would be Jaeseop and my date tomorrow! I wonder what we’ll do since he’ll be with me for a whole day. He wanted to go to the park, so that’s one thing in the list. I should add more later on.

 All right. Here's a miniature re-cap from yesterday.

  Da Som and Jaeseop got into an argument, so now they’re rivals and when Da Som has a rival, it's not pretty. Nope. As for Jaeseop, I'm not really sure. He doesn't seem like the person to hate someone and pull pranks on them or spread rumors. Who knows, he could be a different person than expected.

  I found Jaeseop at his locker like usual. "Hello! Good Morning! How are you?"

  "I'm fine. Thanks for asking." Jaeseop said, shutting his locker.

  I didn't know what was coming, I didn't even expect it could happen, but it did. For the first time I saw Jaeseop in red hair. It’s red I tell you! Red! He died it, but it looked good on him. I stepped back from amazement. I pointed at his hair. "Wha- What happened to your hair? It's-it's red!"

  His eye rolled up and he brushed his fingers through his hair. "Yeah. I got it yesterday after school. The guys- my brothers wanted me to just to change my image."

  I gave him a thumb up. "It looks pretty good. Was there any other color you wanted though?" I wanted to touch his soft hair, but I bet he would swat my hand away before I could get an inch close.

  "Hm..." This time his eyes trail to the side. "I was thinking about this brown almost redish hair, but... I don't know my brothers wanted me to get it red."

  I reached for his hair and hesitate. Will he allow me to? I let my hand hover in mid air. It felt like an eternity until I felt his hand on mine. He pulled it close and gently placed my hand on top of his head.

  "I don't mind you touching my hair, but only for this once. Anymore touches to my hair and I'll kill you. I don't really like anyone touching my hair, especially when I fixed it the way I wanted it."

  I gave him an evil stare and he seemed to have known what that meant, running for it. For a nerd, he can run pretty fast. I wonder, does he workout at home or does homework really do that to you? Jaeseop didn't go far till he bumped into Hoon.

  I stopped in mid-step and hid behind the trash can.

  "Watch it!" Hoon yelled. He shoved Jaeseop, causing him to loose his balance and fall right on his .

  Jaeseop got up and pushed him even rougher. "Don't push me."

  "I can push you all I want!" This time, he swung a punch, hitting Jaeseop on the eye, his glasses flying.

  I couldn't take it anymore and stand up from my hiding place. I came in front of them and yelled at Hoon's face, "What the hell? Leave him alone, won't you? It's not his fault for bumping into you, it's mine. Just don't touch him anymore."

  He took a step back and stared at me, shocked as if it's the first time I actually argued with someone before. His eyes averted to Jaeseop with a glare. He turned around and left without a word.

  I watched him go, my heart aching for talking back at him, but then I remembered Jaeseop. His eye was swelling and he continued to touch it, flinching at the touch. My hand slowly goes to his eye. I wanted to feel it to see if it was as bad as it looked, but his head turned.

  I pulled my hand back slightly and changed courses. Instead, I took his arm. "Let's head to the nurse. She'll do something about it."

  This time, he didn't retreat and allowed me to lead him there. I tried to talk to him, so it wouldn't feel as awkward. "Hoon has anger problems you know. I'm sorry that I put you up to this. I didn't think he would actually punch you. I guess that's his first reaction to everything. I mean, he reacts differently to everything. I'm-"

  "Thank you." he interrupted, quietly. He bowed his head and side glanced at me.

  I stared at him and smiled. Aw he's so adorable! I want to hug him, but I know he won't let me since I did yesterday.

~~~~

  I sent him to the nurse office and found Da Som waiting for me out the door. She had her arms over her chest and leaning against the doorway. "You know... That Jaeseop guy is pretty interesting. I think I should've been the one who dated him. It's seems fun, watching you two love birds."

  I brushed my fingers through my hair and grinned. "He is. What do you think about his new hair?"

  She giggled. "He looks even hotter! Oh my god! I thought I would hate him, but over the night, I thought about it, and I think he's pretty cute." She gave a seducing smile. "Would you like to trade?" She came up to me and leaned in close. "Jaeseop for Hoon."

  My eyes trailed to the side. What is trying to do? What is she planning? She may be my friend, but already told her, I'll handle it myself. I like Hoon and all, but I want to do this myself. "No. I'll keep Jaeseop for now."

  Da Som smirked. "Have it your way, but remember to embarrass him the best way you can. Deal?"

  "Deal." My voice came out weak, but hopefully she didn't notice.

  She raised both eyebrows. "It doesn't sound like it." Apparently she did.

  I took a big breath, this time, it'll come out better. "Deal."

  "Good. Now you better hurry before class starts. You don't want to be late for first period. We have a sub today. It's not a good one either." She left before me. "Oh. And tell Jaeseop, I'm sorry for Hoon's actions. As his girlfriend, I should have stopped him." She continued walking, not looking back.

  I was frozen on the spot. They were going out? Since when? She knew I still liked him, but what if they were dating way before I told her? Whatever the reason is, I felt a slight jealousy – my heart constricting and breath almost leaving. I wish I never made the decision to date Jaeseop. I think... I'm falling for him...

~~~~

  Like every teenager they would be utterly embarrassed being seen with a black eye, but some doesn't hide it, unlike Jaeseop, who did... He was wearing a cloth eye patch, making him look like a pirate. I couldn't help but , "Good afternoon, Cap'n." I saluted to him and began to giggle inside.

  Jaeseop rolled his one eye and shook his head. He had new glasses which the nurse gave him since the lenses weren't shattered (luckily). "Just because I have an eye patch, doesn't mean I'm a captain and please don't annoy me. I'm not in the mood right now." He slammed his locker and brushed pass me without a word.

  I didn't move from my spot and watched him go, tilting my head in confusion. What's gotten into him? I guess the impact earlier got him. He must be really angry at Hoon or me again. Then again, he's always like that to me except for this morning when I was bringing him to the nurse. I started walking forward, but someone's hand slammed on the lockers, blocking my way.

  My eyes began to trail up the arm. Muscular and lean, small veins popping out. Soon, I came across those brown eyes. Hoon!

  He gave me a seducing smile. For a moment I wanted to smile back until I remembered him and Da Som were together and what he did to Jaeseop. I turned my head away towards the lockers and pretended to be annoyed: eyes wandering around, arms across my chest, and slouching on one hip. "What do you want?" I asked rudely, when he didn't leave.

  Hoon, puzzled, gave a hurt look that spread throughout his whole face. His hand dropped to his side and his voice comes in hurt, "All I want is to say I’m sorry. Is there something wrong with that?"

  I continued to not stare into his eyes. If I did, I'd probably feel weak and loose my confidence. "Yes, there is. You hit my boyfriend! That's what's wrong! You ing idiot! Adding to that, since when were you dating Da Som? I never heard of it!" I don't know why I started shouting at him. I guess it was because I have a slight jealousy of Da Som or more like a lot. Why does she always get the guy that I think is the cutest person in the world? It's not fair. I bowed my head because I knew I shouldn't have done it and I felt ashamed. She’s my friend.

  He took my chin and tipped my head, forcing me to look into his brown eyes. His smile returned as he said, "Where did you hear that from? Could it be… You're jealous?"

  My eyes widened. It's not true? What? Why did Da Som tell me a lie? Did she really want Jaeseop as a boyfriend? It didn't seem like she was interested before, so why now? There's no way I'll give in to Da Som's game, not anymore. I'll find a way to conquer her, which meant, I can't start liking Hoon and cheat on Jaeseop.

  I pulled away from him. For some reason my mind was jumbled up, I couldn't think. Without saying a word, I left him, my face feeling hot and red. I had to get out of there before he could see me. This was the only way. Stupid Da Som; can't she leave me be?

~~~

  Jaeseop was already sitting at his desk, waiting patiently for the teacher. His eye stared at the chalkboard blankly as if thinking about something.

  "Hello." I greeted, slipping into my desk.

  He jumped slightly and slowly turned his head. I guess he wasn't expecting me to come in early. "Hi..." His head turned back to the chalkboard and he continued to think.

  I leaned towards him and started whispering, "What are you thinking?"

  He didn't speak for a moment. Then, "I think we should have our date next week. I'm going to be busy this weekend. Really, really busy, so I'm not going to make it. So can we postpone it?"

  Huh? How busy can he be to skip out on our date? Well, thinking back, it's not truly a date. I should give him credit for changing the date rather than canceling all together. I nodded my head, kind of disappointed. "Okay. Next week? I guess you won't be able to eat ice cream." I half smiled and nudged him. I know he really wanted to have ice cream.

  He, too, half smiled and chuckled. From the side, he looked like an angel, laughing whole heartedly. "I'm sorry, but I guess the ice cream has to wait. Make sure you buy me double next week then. Tell your friend I’ll be waiting for that free ice cream. Ah, I’m going to be so happy if I just taste it!"

  "Ha… What about me? Aren’t you happy to be with me the whole day?"

  His smile faded. "You? I see you everyday, so that's different." He propped up his elbow up on the desk and rested his head on his hand, looking at me from another view. I too got another view and I seem to enjoy it. If only I can see him without his glasses and braces.

  I laughed again. "Fine! Be that way then!" I pouted and turned away. I wanted him to make me stare at him just like what Hoon did this morning, I wanted him to make me feel red and hot all around my body, I wanted him to like me too, not because of a dare, but as a real girlfriend. If only he had true feelings for me, then I probably would too.

  I took a glance back at him. He was still staring at me, but the minute our eyes met, he looked away and rested his head on the desk. Aw, how cute! It seemed like everything he did always made me think of him as cute or adorable. Grr... If only I could hug him more! Why does he not like hugging people?! Guys are such strange people at times.

~~~~

  I didn't walk with Jaeseop this time. Instead, I walked with Nana. I had something to discuss with her, something that deals with Jaeseop.

  "So, what's up?" Nana asked. She knew I always walked with Jaeseop after second and this time, I didn't.

  I sighed. "What does it mean?!" I panicked. "Jaeseop postponed our 'date' and I'm starting to think of him as cute! What does it mean?"

  "Uh." Was all she could say. She’s not the best at consulting, but at least I got it out. "Maybe he likes you?"

  I took her shoulders and shook her. "No! He can't! I can't get too attached to him!"

  "Then why are you two still together?"

  I zipped my mouth. How can I answer that? Why am I still with him? Is my goal to change him still the same or do I actually like him? "I... I want to change him," was my answer.

  "Change him? Why?"

  "Why?" Why... I guess it's because... "I don't want him to be like me in middle school. I don't want him to feel the same pain I felt when everyone avoided me and made fun of me. I don't want him to be that nerd who's always been called the loner." It was an honest and true answer. It'll never change in my mind.

~~~~

  Heh... This was actually a two in one chapter... But I managed to make it fit! :D