The Wu's

Summer Rain

“Welcome Miss Choi” the waitress bowed 90 degrees. “Table for Mrs. Wu please” you asked.

“Right this way” she led you two to the table. “Please call me when you are ready to order”

“omonim~” you hugged Mrs. Wu. “Aigoo, my beautiful daughter-in-law”. Kris made a barfing face that made Mr. Wu laugh. “Abonim~” you hugged Mr. Wu as well.

“It seems like Minah’s love for me has shifted to mama and baba” Kris crossed his arms.

You sat next to Kris and kissed his cheek, “never! Oppa is first in my heart”. Kris’ eyes widened at the sudden contact then awkwardly smiled at his parents. ‘what can I do about her?’ he shugged.

“Yeobo, I think I’m getting too old” Mrs.Wu giggled, “these kids are growing up too fast”.

“Mianhae, Minah won’t do that in front of you guys again” he eyed you “Right Minah?” “Right!” your cheeks fluttered pink, slightly embarrassed. “Well then, I’m ready to order” Mr. Wu picked up the menu.

You and Kris had steak while his parents had spaghetti. Kris took your plate and cut your steak into little pieces. “It’s okay oppa, I can do that myself, I’m not a little kid” you protested. “Remember the last time we ate something involving you and a knife? You cut yourself on the hand holding the knife”. You looked away avoiding his eye contact, “I don't know how that happened, but everything is possible when it comes to you, Choi Minah” he placed the freshly cut steak in front of you. “Gumawo” you happily ate your steak.

“Omonim, why did you call us out for lunch today? What's the special occasion?” you curiously asked. “Do I need a reason to see Minah?” “Oh, no no, I didn't mean it that way” you waved your hands, “I know I know, I was kidding” she ensured. “I just wanted to see you guys before your trip”

*Trip?* You and Kris both looked at each other in confusion. “What are you talking about mama?” Kris asked.

“Here you go” she placed an envelope on the table. “go ahead, open it”

You opened the envelope and pulled out 2 plane tickets “oh my god, thank you~” you held up the ticket to Kris’ face, “look oppa, we’re going to Cuba~” “It’s not like I’ve never been there before” he coolly shrugged. “Whatever, if you don’t want to come, then omonim will come with me, right omonim?”. She nodded in agreement. “Second thought, this will be fun!” Kris grabbed the tickets from your hands and smiled.

“Aigoo aigoo, someone is jealous of his own mother~” Mrs. Wu joked. “Your mother and I weren’t sure where to send you guys without the paparazzi watching, you guys need some quiet time before the big day right?” Mr. Wu said, “And plus, it’s also Valentines Day weekend, you guys should go enjoy a warm valentines day for once. Korea’s winter is getting too boring”.

“How thoughtful!” you put the tickets back into the envelope, “too bad my English isn’t very well, I can only say ‘I’m fine, thank you, and you?’” you pretended to converse with Kris. “That’s where I come in, don't forget I used to live in Canada before moving to korea” he proudly added.

 

After lunch, you and Kris drove back to your house. “Appa, I’m home” you changed into your comfortable slippers and handed Kris his.

“Oh, you’re home” your step mother sneered.

Your smile disappeared from your face, “Annyeong Junghwa-shi”.

“And Kris, you’re here too” “Annyeonghaseyo” he politely bowed. “We’re going up to my room” you said without making eye contact, and headed upstairs. Kris bowed again and followed behind you.

*This impolite brat* she rolled her eyes at you, “Yeobo, Minah is back~” she skipped into her bedroom.