Bad news

Summer Rain

You opened your eyes to the sound of ocean waves. You looked over to your right to see Kris peacefully in his slumber. His arm lightly lapped your waist. Your cheeks flushed pink as you remembered last night’s events. You carefully removed his arm, slipped out of bed, and pulled his shirt loosely over you. You picked up all the clothes scattered on the floor and put them on the couch.

You the hot water and waited for the bathtub to fill up. There was a knock on the bathroom room and you turned around to see Kris coolly standing by the door frame in his robe, “morning babe” he said in his low, seductive voice. “Morning, did I wake you up?” turned off the water. “Sorta, I looked over and realized you weren’t beside me, so I got up” he walked towards you. He planted a soft kiss on your forehead and peaked over at the bathtub, “taking a bath? Why don’t we do it together” he winked.

“O-o-omo, n-no!” your cheeks turned crimson, and pushed him out of the bathroom. You click locked the door behind him “DON’T COME IN!” you warned.

*She’s still so shy around me* Kris smirked, “I don’t know what you’re hiding Minah, it’s not like I didn’t see anything last night~” you teased through the door.

“YAH shikoro..” you planted your face into your palms, and stumped your feet in embarrassment.

---

After a nice long bath, you changed into comfortable clothing and wrapped your wet hair in a towel. “You can go shower now –” you saw Kris sitting on the edge of the bed, his face looked distressed., “hey are you okay? What’s wrong?” you went over to him.

“Minah-ah..” Kris held the both of your hands “I have some news to tell you” he sighed.

From his tone of voice, you knew something was really bad, “O-o-okay..” he sat you down beside him. He took a deep breathe, then finally spoke out “your father passed away this morning” you didn’t move one bit, you couldn’t believe what you have just heard. It felt like a thousand needles had pierced through your heart that you couldn’t breathe. “They found him in his office, but it was already too late they said” he continued.

Your expressions were still, which worried Kris even more. “Minah, are you listening to me?” you didn’t say anything or move an inch. Suddenly, you felt nauseas, and your vision became blurry. Your eyes rolled back, and you fell straight onto the hard wooden floor.

Kris’ eyes rounded, “Minah-ah!” he quickly lifted you up and laid you onto the bed.

Your eyes slowly opened, *good, it was all a dream, I was just sleeping* you had hoped. “Minah, you’re awake” Kris hurried over to you, “are you feeling better now? You fainted” Kris touched your forehead. “Fainted?” now you knew it wasn’t a dream, it was all real. You finally broke down. Tears wouldn’t stop falling from your eyes, your breathes became heavier, and starts to hyperventilate. “Oppa ottoke” you started to bite your thumb nail, “ottoke….”. Kris pulled you into his embrace and gently rubbed your arm, “it’s okay Minah, you still have me”.

----

You and Kris took the next plane back to Korea. Your sunglasses covered up your swollen eyes, but it can’t cover your limp body. Kris had his arms wrapped around you for support.

After arrival, you were greeted by hundreds of news reporters.

“Minah-ssi, how do you feel about your father’s death?”

“Do you think the death was suspicious?”

“What are you going to do now?”

“Is your wedding with Kris still happening next month?”

Questions were thrown right at you. Cameras were in your face, and microphones stabbed you. “Please give her some space” Kris tried to push the reporters away while keeping you safe in his arms. You held onto his arms tightly, afraid that people will drag you away.

“MINAH-SSI, KRIS-SSI” Secretary Hwang waved from a distance. Kris spotted her and led you towards her. “This way” she ushered you two to the car.

“Minah-ssi, Junghwa-ssi said to bring you to your father’s wake right away” she said while exiting the airport parking lot. “Araso..” you said under your breathe.

---

Sitting in front of you was your father’s picture. His smile still so genuine and kind. “Appa…” your feet slowly moved towards it, “no, no, this is not real, appa is not dead..” you shook your head.

“It’s real, your father is dead. Believe it, Choi Minah.” Your step mother snorted.

Then, it suddenly hit you, you realized that your brother wasn’t at the wake, “Oppa, oppa, where is my oppa?” you desperately asked her. She rolled her eyes and looked at you, “he didn’t show up, no one knows where he is” she said. “He haven’t contacted anyone since yesterday”, secretary Hwang added, “he disappeared”.

*Oppa is gone too?* you fell on your knees and started to bawl *first my appa, and now my oppa, my only family is gone*. Kris kneeled beside you and rubbed your back *please be strong, be the Minah that I know* Kris hoped.

One by one, people came with their condolence. “Please feel better Minah-ssi”, your father’s long time friend patted your hands. You lightly bowed in respect without a word. For the entire week, it had been like this, everyone who knew your father came to his wake. You bowed and bowed every single minute, while your step mother collected your father’s condolence money.

For the entire week, you didn’t sleep or eat properly. You looked like a completely different person that even your father wouldn’t be able to recognize you if he was still alive. You lost a lot of weight, and had dark bags under your eyes.

Kris’ heart breaks at this sight of you. It seemed like he can just break you with one touch, you were so brittle.

----

After the wake was over, Kris brought you to his home.

“Omonim, abonim” you bowed and greeted under your breathe. “Omo, Minah-ah” she gently caressed your pale cheeks, “Kris, hurry up and take Minah upstairs to your room, I’ll make her some porridge” she warily said.

Kris tugged your into bed and curled a strand of your hair behind your ear, “take a nap, I’ll wake you up” you nodded and immediately fell into dreamland.

Kris watched you for a while. Your fragile figure hurts him. *Don’t worry Choi uijang-nim, I’ll keep my promise and take care of Minah for as long as I’m alive”, he cupped your hands into his and gently kissed them.