Meeting

Summer Rain

After the meeting, Kris decided that he was going to stay in Busan for a bit longer, because the meeting didn’t go the way he had expected. The contract wasn’t signed due to some debatable conditions, so Kris had to stay until another contract is put forth. Since he only brought clothes for 2 days, he decided to shop for more clothes.

Meanwhile, you and Chanbin arrived at the mall for some new clothes and school supplies for Chanbin, since he was going to enter kindergarten. “Here, how about this?” you pulled out a lime green polo shirt from the rack, “I don’t like this colour” Chanbin shook his head.

“This one is too plain, that one has too many patterns, and that one will make me look darker” Chanbin pointed at the clothes you had chosen. “Eh?” you were astonished by your son’s adult-like words, “whoa, we got a fashion police here” you sarcastically said *he definitely got that from Kris*

All the workers in the store giggled at Chanbin’s cuteness, “awww Miss, your son is so cute” one cooed.

“He’s such a flower boy, I bet his father is also good looking!” another one said while pinching Chanbin’s cheeks.

You awkwardly smiled and turned your attention back to finding clothes.

Chanbin sat on the chair and waited for you patiently. He looked around and spotted Kris passing by the store, “Oh! Tall ahjussi!” Chanbin voluntarily got on his feet and followed Kris out the store.

You picked out a sky blue t-shirt, which is Chanbin’s favourite color, “hey, I bet you’ll like this-” you turned around but Chanbin was out of sight. You glanced around and saw Chanbin leaving the store.

You immediately put down the clothes and chased after him.

Kris didn’t notice Chanbin following him and continued walking. He had almost caught up to Kris until you grabbed him from behind. “Got you, Choi Chanbin, where do you think you’re going? Do you want to get lost and end up at the police station like last time?” you lightly slapped his .

Kris instantly stopped at the sound of your voice, *That voice, I know it…Minah?* he slowly turned his body around.

“Mianhae mommy, I just saw Ahjussi” Chanbin looked up and pointed his fingers towards Kris. “Ahjussi?” you questioned and looked up following Chanbin’s fingers.

You gasped at Kris who was standing right in front of you. Kris’ eyes also widened in shock, “Minah?” he finally spoke.

*Ottoke, ottoke* your whole body froze. When you finally registered what had just happened in your head, you quickly grabbed Chanbin’s hand and dragged him away, *no, no, no, this is not happening right now* you increased your walking speed and Chanbin ran behind you.

Kris was stunned at what just happened, he took a few second to process everything, and then ran after you. “Wait, Minah” he grabbed your wrist, and you immediately stopped at his touch.

Chanbin looked up at your tense expression then looked at Kris, “Ahjussi, do you know my mommy?” “M-mommy?” Kris felt his heart break into pieces. “And mommy, this is the ahjussi that brought me to the police station!” Chanbin beamed.

“Chanbin stop talking” you warned and Chanbin obeyed.

“Minah, can we talk?” Kris asked. You gazed down at Chanbin, then nodded without a word.

Ten minutes later, you three arrived at a nearby coffee shop. “Chanbin-ah, why don’t you go over there and look at the fish, while ahjussi and I talk?” you asked. “Okay mommy!” Chanbin skipped to the tank.

It was silent, you didn’t know what to say and was still in shock from the earlier events.

On the contrary, curiosity washed all over Kris. He had so many questions in his head, but didn’t know where to start. He wanted to know how you were doing all these years, did you sleep well, and eat well? Who is Chanbin and why does he call you his mommy? But most importantly, why did you leave him 3 years ago.  

“So, you’re married?” Kris finally broke the silence. “Eh?” you shook your head, “no, I’m not...” you avoided his eyes.

“Then why does Chanbin call you his mommy?”, the fact that Chanbin might be his son didn’t cross his mind one bit, “are you his…biological mother?”

“Yes” you quickly replied.

A billion thoughts crashed through his mind, and he said the last thing he was ever suppose to say, “is that why you left me? Because you had Chanbin with another man?” Kris’ eyes became threatening.

“W-w-what?” you stuttered, “how can you say that? I never did anything shameful towards you!” you defended. “Then what do you explain him?” he pointed at Chanbin, “are you telling me that you didn’t sleep with another man to have him?” he clutched his fist in anger.

“THAT’S BECAUSE CHANBIN IS YOUR SON!” you blurred out and you quickly covered your mouth with your hands, *oh no, why did I tell him, I’m so weak*, you regret what you just said.

Kris’ heart suddenly stopped, “what did you just say? Chanbin is my son?” he repeated your words. You kept silent and avoided eye contact.

Then it all hit him. Why he was so attached to Chanbin at their first meeting, why he thought he had known Chanbin since the beginning. Because Chanbin was his son, because they share the same blood. He remembered asking Chanbin how old he was, *he’s 3 years old, and Minah left me 3 years ago* he glanced at Chanbin and realized how much he resembled himself. Chanbin was an exact replica of himself and you.

You sat there in silence, watching Kris’ unchanged expression, *is he mad? Is he angry at me for not telling him? Why can’t I tell anymore….”, you realized how much Kris had changed over the years.

All the events from 3 years ago flew through his head. The beachside walks, the surprise Valentines present, and the night you became his.