As Chanbin's father

Summer Rain

Kris parked his car outside of the school while you took Chanbin into class. Today was the first day of kindergarten, so it was only half day. Once he was all settled for his first day, you gave him a kiss on his forehead then left. Kris was waiting inside of his car, his window was rolled down, and he had his left arm outside the window. You opened the passenger seat door and sat inside.

“Where do you want to go now?” Kris started the car, “the coffee shop across from my house, we need to talk” you coldly said. “What is there to talk about? I thought we settled everything the other day? Chanbin needs me” he argued, “Just go.” you emphasized on your words.

Without another word, Kris immediately drove towards the direction. However, he didn’t notice a black Audi following close behind him.

“Ma’am, doryeonnim just left the Sunshine Kindergarten with the same woman” the man in the black Audi talked to the phone. “Follow him closely” Mrs. Wu ordered from the other side. She had just arrived in Busan and is planning to break the ties between you and Kris.

You and Kris arrived at the coffee shop, you got ordered dark coffee, and Kris got the same, “I thought you don’t drink coffee” you pointed out. Kris casually shrugged, “things change” *and you did too* he thought.

“I have to pick up Chanbin at 11, so let’s make this quick” you took a sip of your coffee.

“Kris, can you please stop what you’re doing” you cut right to the point, “I don’t think what you’re doing right now is inappropriate”

Kris was taken aback by your suggestion, “what do you mean inappropriate? I’m taking my role as Chanbin’s father, I’m taking my part of the responsibilities, what is wrong with that?” his voice became stiff.

“What I mean is..” you took a deep breathe, “you can’t admit that Chanbin is your son, you’re a public figure, this might ruin the reputation of your company, you have to think for omonim and abuji”

Kris finally understand everything now. The reason why you have been so cold to him is that you are afraid that your actions will effect his reputation. “Oppa, Chanbin and I are like an instant bomb to your success. If the media finds out about us, then everything will storm up again, just like when my father passed away. Everyone thinks my oppa and I fled the country, so be it. They can’t just find out about me 3 years later and know that you and I have a son” you worried.

Kris looked deeply into your eyes, putting himself in your shoes, “Minah-ah, you don’t have to worry about that, I’m sure they’ll accept you, Chanbin, and us” he assured.

You shook your head, “Kris, don’t you understand, I just want to live a quiet life, a peaceful life. With you and Chanbin. I hated how transparent our relationship was back then, so I don’t want Chanbin to go through all that”

Meanwhile, Mrs. Wu also arrived at the coffee shop. She looked around and immediately spotted Kris because of his height. Her heels clicked onto the wooden floor with anger.

Kris voluntarily looked up and saw his mother, “Mama..what are you doing here?” he panicked.

She ignored his question and landed her gaze on you, “Choi Minah” “O-o-omonim” you stuttered.

Her eyes turned into dangerous slits, “Kris, please leave for a few minutes, Minah and I need to talk” “Why can’t I be here?” Kris questioned, “Go.” she forced. Kris obeyed his mother and waited outside.

The atmosphere was tense. You didn’t dare to meet her daunting eyes. “Don’t you have something to say to me?” she said. “Omonim, I can explain, I..I” you didn’t know where to start, “I’m sorry, I couldn’t listen to you” you lowered your head in shame.

“What’s his name?” she asked while keeping on a poker face, probably where Kris got his from. “Chanbin. Choi Chanbin” you answered. “Does he look like Kris?” “Yes..” you admitted.

She started interrogating you with all sort of questions, and you had no choice but to answer them. You glanced at the time and it was a quarter to 11. You needed to pick up Chanbin, but knew Mrs. Wu will give a wrath if you left just like that.

Kris impatiently paced around outside of the coffee shop, he checked his watch and also realized that it was almost 11. *Chanbin* he glanced into the window and saw you and his mother still in deep conversations. He took out his phone and texted you, ‘Minah, I’ll go pick up Chanbin and safely bring him home, don’t worry’.

You saw the message and turned to the window, giving him a knowing smile.

------

Kris arrived at Sunshine Kindergarten right on time, he looked around for Chanbin’s class finally spotted him standing against the wall. “Chanbin-ah” he called out.

Chanbin’s immediately lightened up at the sight of Kris, “Ahjussi!” he ran towards Kris and hugged his legs.

Kris picked Chanbin up into his arms, “how was your first day?” “It was great! I made lots of new friends!” he beamed, “Bye Eunji, bye Hyunsuk, bye Saeyoong!” he waved to his new buddies.

Kris couldn’t help but to smile at Chanbin, *I’m so proud to be your father, Chanbin*.

“Oh? Where’s mommy?” Chanbin realized you weren’t in the car, “sometime urgent popped up, so I’m picking you up instead” Kris explained, and Chanbin nodded in understanding. “Does Chanbin want to make a detour before heading home?”, Kris winked. Chanbin clapped at the idea, “YES PLEASE, let’s go get smoothies!” he cheered.

“Yes sir! Your wish is my command!” Kris saluted and happily drove off.