Jung umma

Summer Rain

You finally got off the train after a long and slow ride. You got onto a taxi and handed the ahjussi the address “please take me there”.

You looked out the window during the whole ride and virtually toured the beautiful city. A tall and shinny building caught your eyes, Paradise Inn *this used to belong to my family* you thought in depression. Memories of you and your family replayed in your head. Your reminiscing moment was stopped as you arrived at the destination “agashi, we’re here” “Oh” you paid the driver and unloaded your stuff. “Number 43” you double checked the door number. You took a deep breathe and reached for the door bell.

Just when you were about to press the button, the door flung open, and you twitched backwards. A young looking man ran out the doors, he stopped and your eyes met with his.

“YAH JUNG DAEHYUN, GET YOUR BACK IN THE ROOM!” you looked inside to see a woman in her late forties chasing him, “Opps, gotta run” the young man darted out and flew out of sight.

The woman stopped by the door and sighed “why does he run so fast” she shook her head and turned back in. She stumbled at bit at the sight of you, “Omo, you scared me” she patted her chest, “are you looking for someone?” she raised her brows.

“Oh yes- Annyeonghaseyo” you bowed, “I’m looking for Jung Jinjoo? Does she live here?”

She scanned you from head to toe then nodded, “yes, I am Jung Jinjoo, and you are?” she gave you a double take, “you look so familiar”.

“I’m Choi Minah” you beamed. “Choi Minah, that’s it! You’re the daughter of Choi Corp., I saw you on TV before, and my sister works for you” she said in realization, “come in, I was waiting for you, my sister told me about you this morning” she helped you carry your suitcase and brought you into the room.

“Here, please sit, make yourself comfortable” she said while pouring you some tea. “I’m sorry this place is no where near your luxurious home back in Seoul” she placed the cup of tea on the table. “It’s okay Jinjoo-ssi, thank you for taking me in” you sipped the tea, “and that’s not my home anymore, if it wasn’t for Ahjumma’s offer, I would’ve been homeless by now” you gave a fake snicker. “Aigoo, you must be going through a lot, I saw your father’s story on the news” she sat next to you, “but mind if I ask, what happened to your fiancé? Why aren’t you moving in with him?”.

At the topic of Kris, your eyes became watery, but you tried your best to hold back your tears. You took a deep breathe then told her everything that happened in past month.

---

“Aigoo…” Jinjoo stiffed her running nose, her too started tearing after hearing about your story, “look at me, I’m so embarrassing, crying in front of you like this” she wiped her eyes with the back of her hands. You handed her a piece of tissue, “Thank you” she took the tissue and blew her nose. “it’s okay Jinjoo-ssi, I promised Kris oppa that I would be strong” you gave her an encouraging smile, “and plus, I have a living person inside of me right now, so I will have to be strong”

“That’s right Minah, you need to stay strong” she squeezed your hand, “but it’s not an easy task to raise a baby on your own, I had to raise Daehyun on my own, and it was hard. So I’m glad that you came to find me, and if you don’t mind, you can call me Jung umma, since Jinjoo-ssi is too formal, and I can take care of you like my own daughter” she offered.

“Can I really?” your eyes filled with optimism, “Jung umma?”

“Yes of course, I’ve always wanted a daughter, you saw my son earlier, he is no help” she opened her arms and hugged you. *Thank you Jung umma* you snuggled against her chest.