Jealousy

Overnight Love

 

Swinging the door of your bedroom behind you, you placed a palm over your rapidly beating heart. Sinking to the floor, you wrapped your arms around your chest, the cotton material of his jacket bringing you unbelievable warmth. I can’t believe it. I’m falling for my brother. Stepbrother. Adopted stepbrother.  Your mind twisted, trying to find an excuse. It doesn’t matter, he’s still my stepbrother. I shouldn’t feel this way. He’s just being nice, and trying to make me feel at home. He’s looking out for me, like a normal caring brother.  You reasoned, nodding your head repeatedly as you tried to persuade yourself. It wouldn’t do you any good to let your feelings grow. With this newfound resolution, you crawled into bed. Soon your confused thoughts succumbed to the drawing temptation of dreamless sleep.

Your eyes fluttered open as your mind continued to drift in and out of reality. With a soft yawn, you sat up in bed. As you glanced out the window, you knew something was wrong. The Sun was shining high up in the sky, it’s harsh rays beating mercilessly on the hills in the distance. Squinting as slight rays shone into the room, you took a quick look at the clock on your bedside. It’s two in the afternoon?! Why didn’t anyone wake me up? Uncomfortable with the idea of sleeping in, you freshened up at the speed of lighting and headed downstairs. The house was surprisingly empty, the lack of attendants fairly obvious.  I wonder where did everyone go?  As you walked into the dining room, a familiar voice shook you out of your thoughts.
“Oh! Young Mistress you’re awake? Come, have lunch!”, the young attendant beckoned to you as she started to lay the table. Slipping into a chair, you asked:”Where’s everyone?” It was pretty unnerving to see the house so eerily quiet and deserted. “It’s Sunday, so all the attendants are on their weekly leave. Sir and Mistress went to the hospital for Sir’s routine checkup, so they’ll be back late. Young Master left very early in the morning for practice and will be back after dinner too.” she replied meekly. Nodding in understanding, you tucked in to the delicious looking but modest spread of lunch that she prepared. “Wait, then why are you here? Shouldn’t you be taking a break as well?” you asked curiously. “Well, I was instructed to take care of your meals”, she said with a sheepish smile.  Surprised, you nearly choked on your food. “No way, I instruct you to go home. You should be spending this weekend with your family and friends”, you said with heightened persuasiveness. She only shook her head in response.

After an hour of arguing, persuading and nearly begging, she finally conceded to your request. For the umpteenth time, you promised her to order-in for dinner. From a respectable restaurant no less and you vowed not to let anyone know of her early dismissal. “You have to listen to my instructions too you know. I’m a young mistress.” You pouted cheekily as you walked her out the door. With a sigh of achievement, you felt elated to know that you had helped someone to have a better day. However, the happiness was short-lived as you faced the impending loneliness of the day ahead. Determined not to waste the day away, you trooped back to your bedroom in light steps. “I know what I’m going to do. I’m going to paint”, you announced to yourself in excitement. Soon you busied yourself with laying the ground with paper, setting up the canvas and squeezing out the acrylic paint. It felt like a long time ago where you last painted. There were so many different emotions flooding your mind; longing, loneliness and love. There were so many things that your fingers ached to paint, so many thoughts that you wished to illustrate. As your vision swept over a familiar grey cotton jacket draped across your bedpost, the inspiration you needed overtook your hands. With swift of your paint brush, the canvas begun to come alive with various colours that were blended into each other to create new shades. Immersed temporarily into penning your thoughts onto the canvas, your fingers moved to create illustrations of shadows falling on a familiar face. With admirable focus, you painted the exact image that had been imprinted into your memory, hoping to release the hold of that memory on your heart.

It was when the grand clock chimed a total of five times that you finally put your paintbrush down. The set of deep brown eyes seemed to stare at you from its place on the canvas. You had painted…Him. Lost in your thoughts, you reached out to trace his unmistakable features. His sharp nose, chiseled jaw, perfect smile, and eyes that would turn to silts whenever he was happy. This was side of him that had first moved you. Gripped with conflicting emotions that seemed to come from your head and your heart, you picked up the painting and placed it in a remote corner of your walk-in closet. It should stay hidden, just like my feelings.  With a bittersweet smile, you gathered the paints and begun to clean up. Although you had promised the attendant to order in, you couldn’t help but crave for some piping hot ramen. The instant ramen that you used to eat every night now seemed like an elusive comfort. Pushing aside all promises, you pulled on an oversized blue cardigan before proceeding downstairs. After you grabbed a set of the house keys hanging by the door, you carefully locked up the house. Now, if I could only find a supermarket of some sorts.  As you walked down the driveway towards the main road, you took out your phone to search for the nearest convenience store. It’s a fifteen minutes walk away. You jumped in excitement just thinking of some spicy hot ramen as you followed the moving icon on your phone’s GPS. Ten minutes later, you turned a corner into an unfamiliar street. According to this map, it should be straight ahead. With your head bowed as you intently tracked the movement of the icon, you bumped into someone’s shoulder, causing you to drop your phone.
“Choisohamida! Choisohamida!” A male voice cried out as he bent over to pick up your phone. “Oh, Quen cha na”, you reached out to take the phone from him. “OH. Mi young shi?”  You looked up abruptly at the mention of your name. “Ohhh! Hyun sik Oppa, Anyeonghasayo~” you exclaimed whilst bowing politely. The both of you laughed heartily at such a chance encounter.
“Where are you going?” He asked curiously, eyes smiling along with his friendly grin. “Oh, I’m going to get dinner. Actually, I’m just going to grab some cup ramen”, you explained sheepishly.
“Too much cup ramen isn’t good for you know. How about I treat you to dinner?” He offered generously, eyes twinkling good-naturedly. “Oh…I couldn’t”, you wanted to decline, thinking of the amount of money he would have to spend. “Tsk, just some cheap but good ramen around the corner? Oppa’s not an idol yet”, he interjected, reading your reluctant expression. With a nod of acceptance, you followed him to a small road side shop. ”Oppa, practice has ended already?” You asked timidly, thinking of Minhyuk. “Deh”, he replied cutely whilst handing you a menu. I wonder if minhyuk oppa has eaten. You snapped yourself out of your thoughts when Hyun sik called a waiter around. Soon the both of you had hot piping ramen in front of you. Yours was a spicy kimchi ramen while Hyun sik ordered some delicious looking pork rib ramen. “Eat up Mi Young!” Hyun sik exclaimed without any formalities.  Somehow, you felt extremely at ease with him, and allowed yourself to gulp up the yummy ramen without restraint. You and Hyun sik talked leisurely about life. He asked if you were fitting in well to the new family, and you found yourself opening up to him about things weighing down on your mind. Well, everything except for your feelings for Min hyuk.  In return, he shared about his family rather openly as well. His father was a famous musician, and the both of you conversed excitedly about music. You found out that he could play the guitar, and he promised to teach you one day. Somehow, you were drawn to his quiet but approachable demeanor, that complimented your personality well.  You felt extremely comfortable around him, and was extremely thankful for his companionship.

An hour later, Hyun sik offered to walk you home. “It isn’t safe at this time of the night”, he stated with a worried expression, and a sense of finality that you admired. “When did you start singing oppa?” You asked. With a gentle smile, he told you of the time his dad taught him the guitar. His initial haphazard playing didn’t deter his dad from singing along, and soon he found himself singing along to the melodious strums of the guitar. Soon you had arrived at the gate of the Lee family home. “Thanks for dinner, and for walking me home Hyun sik oppa!” A shy but genuine smile plastered on your face. Hyun Sik reached out and ruffled your hair. “Anytime Mi Young! It’s better than eating cup ramen all alone at home right?” He replied cheekily with a slight wink. Waving goodbye, you made your way up the driveway towards the front door, a slight blush tinting your cheeks.

Unknown to you, Min hyuk was already at home. When he arrived home, he was rather worried upon noticing that you were gone. Wanting to text you, he realized he couldn’t because you both had never exchanged numbers. He was waiting up in the living room, occasionally glancing out the windows, hoping to catch a glimpse of your slender figure. His eyes brightened when he noticed shadows coming from the driveway. Upon seeing your familiar figure, he let out a sigh of relief. Suddenly, he caught sight of another figure beside you; Tall, built and altogether familiar. In the serenity of the night, he could make out the exchange you were having with the stranger.
“Thanks for dinner, and for walking me home Hyun Sik Oppa!” Your sweet voice exclaimed. Hyunsik? What’s she doing with Hyunsik? Min hyuk couldn’t believe it. He saw Hyun sik’s arm reach out to touch your head, and unexpected annoyance rose up in him. After all that worrying, she was with him all along? He shook his head, slight jealousy clouding his rational mind.

“Oh Oppa! You’re Home!”You smiled happily at Minhyuk who had opened the door for you. “Mhm” He replied a tad too curtly. Picking up on his lack of words, you glanced at him questioningly. Without looking at you, he turned to proceed up the stairs. “Wait..wait!” You called out abruptly. He turned to face you, a cold stare apparent against his expressionless face.
“Where are Aunt and Dad?”You stammered, his stare piercing into you. “They’re at the hospital. Dad had to stay the night due to the prolonged check up. Mom’s staying with him overnight. We’re going to visit them tomorrow morning.” He replied monotonously, the usual warmth in his voice replaced with slight tones of impatience. You gulped nervously, nodding meekly in understanding. With one last sideway glance at you; he disappeared up the hallway, leaving you in the darkness of the vast living room. Did I do something wrong? You thought anxiously, hurt by his piercing gaze and harsh words.

 

 

hello beloved readers~ And a warm welcome to all my new subscribers (: I apologise for my later than usual update as i was down with a really bad headache yesterday ): Couldn't do anything but try to sleep it away! But i'm back with a long update so forgive me (: I added a little bit of slight tension in this chapter, to hopefully lead the two main characters to realising their true feelings heehee (: Please leave me comments guys, they are much loved! Oh and yay to hyun sik for making an appearance here! I was deciding between either Hyun sik or Chang sub but I picked the former because I imagine him as more of a threat to Min hyuk than changsub~ But don't worry, I'll be including the other members alot in the next few chapters!