picture frames

Overnight Love

music for this chapter: Gu Hye Sun's Sweet Smell
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ntnVh2w_M&feature=related)

As you ascended the long stairwell towards a different wing of the house, the clock chimed gravely, the bells echoing off the walls in loud and somber rings. It’s ten o clock already, shouldn’t dad be sleeping? As you walked through a familiar hallway towards the master bedroom, you looked carefully at the walls.  Antique-looking Photo frames of all shapes and sized decorated the walls with memories. This was the first hallway that seemed to be uniquely furnished with old pictures, trophies and certificates. Scanning the wall attentively, you could recognize a few familiar faces. There were pictures of your dad and aunt when they were young. There were also pictures of Minhyuk when he was a baby. At least you guessed that it was him from the way the baby wore blue and had short hair. Pictures of your dad attending business meetings and award ceremonies also grazed the wall. However, there were pictures that seemed foreign to you. Faces you could not recognize, but captured into faded black and white photographs. Remembering that you were actually here to visit your father, you scurried towards his room.
“Oh Mi Young, come on in”, he exclaimed, his deep and fatherly tone making you feel safe and loved. With slight awkwardness, you moved over to sit on the chair beside his bed. “You should be sleeping”, you reminded gruffly. Chuckling, his eyes twinkled in amusement as he told you that he was waiting for you. Smiling slightly at his earnest reply, the both of you launched into a relaxed conversation. You realized that despite the past, your father loved you more than you could fathom. As he told you stories about your mother and your childhood, his sincere voice placated your bitter thoughts. Your relationship with your father was definitely growing, albeit the little time you both spent together each day. In fact, you were growing to anticipate the daily chats you would have with him. You soon learnt that he was knowledgeable, wise and believed in an entirely ethical work philosophy. As he embarked into short stories about his company, you suddenly remembered the wall of pictures outside. At his suggestion, you pushed him out of his room on a wheelchair, towards the hall of pictures. “Are you sure you’re up for it?” You asked worriedly at the thought of him leaving his room. Nodding enthusiastically, your father looked almost excited to show you the pictures. Glancing at his joyful expression, you gave in. He definitely looks better today. You smiled in relief at the flood of colours that painted his cheeks.
“That’s me when I was young. And that’s your grandpa over there!” He pointed at the picture that was printed in shades of grey. “You look exactly like grandpa!” You laughed before your dad joined in. “It’s a good thing he’s handsome”, he remarked with a straight face, causing you to burst out in giggles. “And that’s me at the opening ceremony of my new company. It was about 20 years ago”, he continued explaining eagerly. After looking at almost all the photos, you proceeded to push your father back into his room. “Hold on. There’s one last picture.” He smiled, though pain was etched into his wide grin. You followed him as he pushed himself to a corner of the corridor, stopping in front of an old glass cupboard holding a few small picture frames. You hadn’t even noticed the old cupboard. With a wistful smile, he pulled out a small dusty photo frame hidden at the the back of the top-most shelve.  After carefully blowing the dust off the frame, he the picture tenderly. As you watched him intently, he looked up at you apologetically and handed you the photo frame. You noticed that his eyes were teary, glistening with tears that threatened to spill out. You glanced at the photo frame curiously. Immediately, a coat of tears glazed over your brown eyes. They glistened, as a single tear spilled over, rolling down your cheeks before splashing on the glass surface of the photo frame. It was a picture, an old picture where the colours were rather dull and the paper looked grainy. On a picture were a man and a woman both smiling happily as they looked at the camera. The man, who had almond shaped eyes was carrying a little girl. She was a toddler of around a mere age of 3 who had his same brown eyes. His other hand was wrapped around the woman in a loving hug, squishing the toddler between him. The flash of recognition triggered a new wave of tears. ”Mo…mom…. Da…dad… and… me…”you choked. Already, your vision was blurred by the tears forming in your eyes. On impulse, you reached down to envelop your dad in an abrupt hug. You could feel his hands hold you protectively, as he your hair. “My..good..daughter…” he muttered in between gasps of breath, as his tears fell, dampening your clothes. He never forgot us. You sobbed uncontrollably, touched at the evidence of your dad’s undying love. When the both of you calmed down, you pushed him back into his room and helped him back into his bed. In between your sniffs, you realized that you were still holding the photo frame. As the doctors came to hook your dad up to his daily drip, you composed yourself and returned the photo frame to him. “Keep it”, he suggested with a fatherly smile. Bending down, you kissed him gently on his forehead. “Thank you Appa”, you whispered.

You were alone in the hallway again. Hugging the photo frame close to your chest, you let the tears you were controlling continue to fall down your cheeks. You felt so overwhelmed, and though you struggled to contain your emotions, your heart failed to comply with your mind. A throbbing ache in your heart only fueled the tears that were now accompanied by your inconsistent breathing. As the tears clouded your vision once again, you completely did not see the person in front of you. As you collided with a warm, familiar surface, a sense of de javu temporarily stopped your tears. Looking up to see who you bumped into, you blinked, allowing the tears to fall freely. “Woah Mi Young, watch where you’re-“he suddenly paused upon seeing your tear-stained face. Upon glancing at his face, you saw the hurt you felt reflected as worry in his brown eyes. His forehead was curled into a slight frown. “What happened?”He asked in a soft, soothing voice as his eyes scanned your face. You couldn’t stand it. You couldn’t stand him looking through your eyes, almost as if he could see your soul. You didn’t want to burden him further. Ignoring his question, you looked down at the floor, wanting to hide the tears that were now falling in urgent rhythms, leaving damp patches on the carpet. “Hey, look at me. What’s wrong?”He slipped his palm under your chin, gently raising your head until your eyes met. His soft, reassuring voice, coupled with the hurt expression in his eyes made you feel weak. Without thinking, you crashed into his chest, slipping your arms around him as you sobbed uncontrollably. You needed, you just needed someone to help you; Someone that would understand you. Slowly, you felt his arms envelop you. “Shhh. It’s going to be okay. I won’t let anything happen to you”, he whispered reassuringly as he your hair affectionately. As he held you tightly, letting you sob into his chest, you couldn’t help but feel so safe. So protected, and so loved. It felt almost natural, holding you in his arms, as if he had done this so many times before; As if, it was fate to be there in his arms, comforted by the mere sound of his heartbeat.


You took a while to calm down, and for the tears to stop flowing. However, he was there with the every minute that you needed, holding you in his arms until all traces of your sobs subsided.
Sure that you had stopped crying, he let you go before leading you up another series of stairs and through a door. As you stepped through the door, the cold night air greeted you, drying your teary face. “I always come here whenever I’m feeling down”, Min hyuk said as he looked at you with a gentle smile. A small smile crept on your face as you leaned over the banister of the hidden roof garden. Not wanting to leave your side, he moved until he was beside you. He didn’t rush you, or pressure you to tell him what happened. He just wanted you to know that he would always be by your side. After a short while, you calmed down enough to tell him what happened. He listened in silence before turning to look at you. “May I see the photo?” he asked sincerely, as you stared at him blankly. Surprised at his response, you held out the photo frame. He took it gently, and held it as if it were something of great value. “Your mum’s really pretty. You look exactly like her. Except for the eyes, you’ve got dad’s eyes”, he said with a genuine smile on his face. You watched him with a clueless expression. “You grew up well”, he chuckled before nudging you playfully. A moment passed before you realized that he was trying to cheer you up. Watching your expression change from a blank to a touched one, he knew that you were feeling better. Suddenly, a harsh breeze blew past, making your shiver involuntarily. Before you knew what he was doing, he took off his gray jacket and placed it over your shoulders. “You should really take care of yourself”, he nagged as he adjusted the jacket on you before zipping it up. Moved beyond words, slight tears formed in your eyes again. “Don’t cry”, he started to say until a single tear slipped out of your eye. With a sigh, he turned to face you and wiped the tear away with his finger. “Well, if you really have to cry, promise me that you won’t cry alone. I’m always here for you”, he whispered softly, causing a blush to creep up your cheeks. “Thank you”, you mouthed meekly, in disbelief that Min Hyuk would care so much about you. Over the past two days, he had already become someone that you wanted to rely on, someone that was special to you. It was him that made your days here bearable. It was then that you realized: You were falling in love with him.

 

 

 

Hi everyone~ especially to my new subscribers :) I hope you guys enjoyed reading my fanfic :) Sooo how do you guys like the progress so far! HAHAHA its so fluffyy~ but here's really the turning point of their r/s i guess! There's really a lack of btob-related videos so far, so I'm still trying to fully figure out their personalities! I Hope to make their personalities here kinda real, or like how they would usually act in real life :)
While writing this, I really had the "Mood" because i just happened to be listening to Gu Hye Sun's old album of piano instrumentals called "breathe". I really love it, especially the song that gummy was featured in called around the corner! You guys might wanna play it to read this chapter (: Nell's new song "the day before" was also in my playlist while writing this! please go check it out it's really good~
Thanks for all the comments guysss :)