Worth It

Overnight Love

The sky was gradually darkening as the eight of you trudged along the familiar street leading to the nearest supermarket. After drying your tears, you put on your poker face, ignoring the awkward tension in the air. You walked slowly, head hanging low with guilt. From the corner of your eyes, you noticed the comforting companionship of Sung Jae, who was matching your footsteps. His usual childish banter was replaced with a quiet demeanor, as his features were noticeably tainted with weariness. Lifting up your head, you glanced at the back of Min Hyuk’s head, eyes pitifully trailing his familiar figure. As he walked in front of you, you could tell that he was clearly pretending that he hadn’t seen you with Sung Jae earlier. He still walked with that same air of confidence, his smiles plastered generously across his face. Even though everything was your idea, you couldn’t help but be greatly affected by how he was handling the situation. Thinking hard, you couldn’t think of a single reason why he didn’t tell the rest of the members. You wanted him to hate you, hate you so that he would forget you. Hate you; because that was the only way you could protect him and the rest of your oppas. “Let’s think of how we should split up once we reach the supermarket”, Eun Kwang exclaimed excitedly, snapping you out of your thoughts. “How about Peniel and I be in charge of getting the meat, Ilhoon and Eun Kwang go gather the ingredients for our main dish, Sung Jae and Chang Sub go pick out the best seafood, while Min Hyuk and Mi Young settle dessert”, Hyun Sik suggested with a mischievous smile. Upon hearing your pairing with Min Hyuk, you immediately looked up and accidentally made eye contact with him. You cringed with guilt when he shot you a familiar warm smile, as you struggled with your emotions. Why is he pretending that everything is alright? Why is still giving me that smile. Shouldn’t he hate me? Or speak up about what happened earlier? Your plan wasn’t exactly going very smoothly, and you needed to do something about it. “I’m going with Sung Jae!” You exclaimed with mock enthusiasm before grabbing the maknae’s arm. You shot him your biggest smile, and leaned on his shoulder. Playing along, Sung Jae wrapped his arms around your waist and nodded happily. Leaving the others dumbfounded, the two of you strolled away at top speed, still immersed in your professional acting. “What was that”, Chang Sub said in a serious tone. Immediately, the other members crowded around Min Hyuk. “What’s going on between her and Sung Jae?” Peniel asked worriedly. Min Hyuk’s despairing eyes trailed you and Sung Jae as he dropped his façade. With a sigh, he began to tell the rest of the members about what he saw earlier.

 “Mian hae, Sung Jae ah”, you whispered as the younger boy cradled your hand. “What for noona?” He asked earnestly, shooting you a brave smile. “For making you do this for me. By helping me, you’re going to get into a lot of trouble with your hyungs. I shouldn’t have made you do this”, you whispered conflictedly, burying your head in your hands. Suddenly, you felt a large palm envelop yours as you lifted your head to meet a set of sparkling black eyes. Prying your hands away from your face, Sung Jae held your hands tightly, pulling you to face him. “Listen noona, I’m not going to regret it”, he said with a wide smile. You stared at him confused, wondering what he meant by those words. Taking in his manly features, you shivered slightly when he reached out a hand to gently trace your cheek. Why am I feeling this way?


 

 

The walk back home was doubly torturous because of the heightened tension in the air. Just by looking at the expressions of the rest of the members, you could tell that they already knew. Eun Kwang looked especially angry, his usual smile twisted in a permanent frown. At the back of the pack, you squeezed Sung Jae’s hand worriedly. Ottokae? You mouthed. The younger boy nodded at you comfortingly, and held your hand tightly. Looking up at him, it was as if you were having a sudden realization. Why didn’t you discover this protective, affectionate and courageous side of him before? You felt your heartbeat start to race, as you let him continue holding your hand.

The two of you were the last to walk through the front door before you were met with several accusing faces. “Yook Sung Jae!” Hyun Sik growled frustratedly at the younger boy. You cringed at his menacing tone, gripping Sung Jae’s sleeve in fear. “Don’t worry noona”, he whispered to you with an assuring smile before stepping in front of you. “It’s my entire fault. If you have to blame someone, don’t blame noona”, He exclaimed chivalrously, raising his tone at his older brothers. “Do you know what you’re doing?” Peniel shouted impatiently at the maknae, his voice unusually commanding.  “How could you do this!” Chang Sub screamed at him. You watched as Sung Jae stood protecting you from the others, his stance firm and unwavering. “I would apologize, but love doesn’t work that way! I can’t explain myself because there aren’t any reasons why love happens! I’m going to fight for my happiness, because there’s only one person that can make me feel this way-“Sung Jae didn’t get to finish his declaration because immediately, a fist was hurled at him, sending him flying to the ground. “NOOOOO!” You shouted, flinging your body to the ground where Sung Jae was curled up in a ball. You glared tearfully at a worked-up Hyun Sik, who was being held back by Eun Kwang and Ilhoon. “Stop it! Just stop it!” You screamed in-between fits of tears. “It’s not Sung Jae’s fault! Love isn’t just the fault of a single person. In any case, I’m at fault too. I’m sorry, Min Hyuk oppa… But-but-m-my heart belongs to Sung Jae”, you exclaimed in between desperate breaths. The tears escaping your ducts were flowing down your cheeks, but you couldn’t care less. Helping Sung Jae up, you ignored the varied expressions of shock and disbelief that were coming from the other members. With a last glance at Min Hyuk who had buckled over and was being supported by Peniel, you and Sung Jae walked away. You blinked away the rapid tears, as your vision grew clouded with images of Min Hyuk, his face raw with betrayal and hurt.

 

Sung Jae winced as you dabbed ointment gently on his bruised lips. “I’m so so sorry Sung Jae”, you whispered, feeling your eyes well up with fresh tears. You couldn’t believe that things had escalated to such an extent, leaving Sung Jae physically hurt. Inside, you were clearly falling apart with boiling sensations of guilt and shame. You stifled a sniff, as a single tear rolled down your cheek. “Don’t worry about me”, he whispered, his warm breath leaving tingles on your face. “How can I not worry? Y-you got hurt because of me”, you muttered, breaths choked with tears. “Aish. Hajima”, he smiled gently, bending his head till your eyes met. The moment your eyes met, you felt yourself stop breathing. Your cheeks flushed a light pink, as your heart started to beat rhythmically. Suddenly, Sung Jae wrapped his arms around your back, pulling your roughly against his chest. Shocked at his unexpected actions, your eyes widened as your heart launched into a frenzy of beats. “Stop apologizing noona. I know at first, I promised you to go along with your plans because of Btob. I knew you meant well, because it’s just like you to place others before yourself. But now, I think I found another reason to carry out this plan.” He whispered sincerely against your ear. You felt his handsome face twist into a smile as he caressed your head. “The reason is you. I like you noona; I realized that I always have. You’re the reason why despite all odds, and despite having everyone misunderstand me, I still want to be here right next to you. Because as long as I’m with you, it’s all worth it”

 

 

 

Annyeong readers~ (: So sorry to leave you guys waiting! I was really busy at work (: Honestly, I felt like i didn't do too well with this chapter sigh ): But i hope you guys still like it <3 let me know what you guys think alright! And who you guys are shipping~ hehe will update soon i promise (Really!) Your comments are much much loved~ Have a great day!