Pure Coincedence

Overnight Love

 

Your footsteps made soft shuffling sounds, matching with the slight cracking of the dried leaves that crumpled under your slow steps. Closing your eyes, you craned your neck towards the sky, the clear blue-orange sky dotted with cotton-looking clouds. The sun peeked shyly behind a family of clouds, exposing slight rays of sunlight that was characteristic of a beautiful morning. As you admired the swirling of the orange horizon that slowly ebbed into the light blue spread of morning sky, your lips curled up in a reminiscing smile. It felt so good, to be back in your memories again. Life was made up of these small moments, and you were glad that you could remember these perfect times as they were, even if you were able to experience them less frequently. Lowering your head to focus on the path in front of you, your footsteps quickened to match the growing sense of anticipation building up within you. From the corner of your eye, you spotted a familiar road-side stall parked on the same spot of the road that you had learnt to remember. Your smile widened as your feet brought you in front of the make-shift stall. A small, hand-written piece of paper hung, flapping against the morning freeze, and you stared at it intently. Despite the stall being closed, you could almost hear the gentle, motherly voice of the old halmonie, and the deliciously enticing scent of her home-made dukbokki. The place was overflowing of past memories, both good and bad. You could still remember the discovery of the stall years ago…

“Why is this happening to me!” You exclaimed angrily whilst pushing your bicycle along the familiar road to home. Your eyes were downcast and puffy from crying, a result of an extremely bad day in school. “Agashi, you look down? Would you like some piping hot dukbokki? I promise it’ll make you feel better, there’s nothing like some comfort food”, A kind looking halmonie called out from alongside the street. Despite your rushed footsteps, you paused, scanning the newly-erected roadside stall. With a small smile, you parked your bicycle and walked to the counter. When the old grandmother handed you a steamy bowl of spicy rice cakes, you automatically smiled upon inhaling it’s mouth-watering scent. “How much is it, Halmonie?” You asked, digging for your purse. With a dismissive wave, she smiled kindly. “It’s on the house dear. Smile more, you look prettier”, she nagged affectionately, turning your frown upside down…


Smiling at the mere force at which at memory hit you, you continue down the street towards your neighbourhood. It had been almost six months since you had moved to your father’s in a different province. Studying your surroundings, you were surprised at how the place hadn’t changed very much. It brought much comfort to you that something had stayed constant, since in an instant almost everything had changed since that fateful day half a year ago. You chuckled, remembering that fateful day that you had hated. That was in the past though. Change had met you head on, but there were definitely different types of change. On one hand, there was good change. Since moving in to your father’s, you had learnt a lot. You had grown to be more independent and mature. Your tolerance and forgiveness had also fueled the growing relationship between you and your father, who you had learnt to love and respect. Although you would rather die than admit it, you had also grown to be more ladylike and sophisticated, a trait beneficial if you were ever involved in your father’s business in future. You were also extremely glad of your humbling past that if possible, made you feel so much more human. It was one of the reasons why others loved you; you were empathetic and kind. Then, there were neutral changes. Your hair had grown out a lot since half a year ago, and you now spotted natural long and wavy curls. Your dressing had also changed; something that you were really sheepish about. It was nothing flamboyant and pompous, but due to your new status, you had learnt to spot new outfits that were a tad more sophisticated than your usual-just-presentable-clothes. And lastly, there were also bad changes, or rather, changes that you were still uncertain about. You missed your mother terribly, despite the Lee family’s admirable hospitality. That explained the sudden trip you were embarking on to visit your old home at such an ungodly hour, but you knew that Mother would be awake, and you wanted to catch her before she left for work. One other change that left you frequently frustrated was the lack of freedom you now had. Or privacy, for that matter. As if on cue, hushed whispers and the rustling of bushes came from behind you. With a resigned chuckle, you turned around. “Come out guys, I know you’re following me”, you called out with a laugh as two men in black emerged from the bushes, leaves crowning their hair. “We’re sorry Young Mistress, but Master instructed us not to let you go anywhere without protection”, Jong hyun replied as Ki Bum nodded in response. (These guys aren’t the ones from SHINEE haha, I just used their names because I’m a shinee fan too heehe). Kim Jong Hyun and Kim Ki Bum were your personal bodyguards that followed you around, if you ever left the house alone. To be honest, you never fooled yourself into thinking that you could sneak out of the house without them knowing, and was therefore expecting their arrival anytime soon. “I know I know”, you grumbled as they took their places behind you.

Soon, you arrived at the apartment block of your old home. With newfound excitement, you dashed into the lift and then knocked on the door furiously. When your mother appeared to open the door, you embraced her tightly, almost knocking her backwards. As she invited you and your bodyguards in, she poured them a cup of tea as the both of you went into your room to talk. ”Finally, we get some privacy”, you sighed with a giggle as Mother laughed along. You updated her about your life with the Lees, skimming the surface when it came to your stepbrother. “Are you getting along with Min Hyuk then?”, Mother asked worriedly. You nodded, unable to stop a wistful smile from creeping up your face. Mother faked a cheeky smile as she pinched your cheek gently. “Someone’s dating behind my back”, she scolded jokingly. “OMMMMAAA, we’re nottt! Besides, he’s my stepbrother!”, you argued, embarrassed at her implication. “But you do know the both of you aren’t related by blood right?”, she asked carefully, afraid to let slip her knowledge of Min Hyuk’s adoption. You nodded meekly, as the conversation moved on towards Father’s health. In the recent week, his health had took a turn for the worst, and you had already decided to prolong your stay at the Lee family, a decision that Mother fully supported. Mother suddenly got up, walking towards your old cupboard. Slowly she pulled out an old box. “I was packing the room last week and found these. I wanted to ask if you still wanted to keep them or if I could throw them away”, she asked before leaving the room to prepare for work. You carefully blew off the thin layer of dust covering the lid of the box. I wonder what’s inside.  You thought while carefully pulling the lid off. The box was laden with sketchbooks, papers and canvases. My early drawings from when I just started to sketch! You smiled excitedly, pulling out sketchbooks and flipping through them. Each drawing seemed to remind you of your past, pulling out moments in your memory for you to relive. At the bottom of the box, you found a piece of drawing block that was folded in half.  Opening it curiously, the characteristic gothic towers of a cathedral greeted you. It’s the sketch I made of the cathedral in Cordoba! You gasped in memory as you unfolded the paper, taking in the familiar sketch of the beautiful church. As you reached the bottom of the paper, you noticed that you had drawn in a person. Holding the paper close to your face, you scanned the figure, a boy pointing a camera at the tower. You searched your memory, trying to find one of that particular moment, but it seemed so faded, one that was already disappearing from your memory. Shrugging, you were about to keep the paper when your gaze fell on the profile of the figure once again. He looks so familiar…  You thought conflicted, as you traced the side profile of a sharp nose, chiseled jaw and hair that was swept in a familiar way.  Sudden, a name floated into your mind, an exact replica of the stranger’s face. “Min Hyuk??!” You gasped in unbelief, but it was unmistakable. You had drawn Min Hyuk, years before even meeting him. He was the stranger I drew in Spain?! You stared repeatedly at the drawing, before quickly folding up the paper and clutching it to your chest. This trip back home would need to be cut short because you needed some answers. Could it have been, Pure Coincidence? Somehow the thought of it being attributed to fate left you fluttering, happy that despite the pessimistic circumstances, there might be something that approved your suppressed feelings for him.  “Mum, I’m going! Something cropped up at home”, you shouted from your room before giving her an urgent hug. As you arrived downstairs, an intimidating-looking limousine greeted you by the front door as you sped home, eager to confirm your discovery.

 

The car pulled up the long, tiled driveway of the Lee family home. As the care halted to a stop, you practically dashed through the front door and up the never-ending flight of steps, ignoring the attendants who were greeting you in the midst of their chores. You swiftly ran past your room, heading straight for your stepbrother’s quarters down the hall when you noticed boxes spilling out of his room, blocking his open door. Stopping abruptly, you tripped over a cardboard box, your fall cushioned by many other small boxes as you let out a cry of pain. “Oh my-Mi Young-Are-are you okay?” Min Hyuk asked worriedly as he rushed to your side and helped you up. You rubbed your back, which was sore from the pointy edges of things packed up in the boxes. “Mhmmm. Oppa, what are all these boxes for?” You asked curiously, observing the boxes of many shapes and sizes. “Well, urm-I’m moving out”, he replied, avoiding your gaze. You literally felt your heart sink to the ground in disappointment. “WHAT?! Why Oppa?” You asked, unable to keep the sadness away from your tone. With a hesitant smile, he put down a box and turned to face you. “Since Btob is debuting soon, our company thinks that it’s time for us to move in together in our newly-built dorm. You know, for us to bond and to get used to living with each other”, he explained patiently, though you could sense that he was rather reluctant to leave as well. You were about to break out in a sad smile, but you remembered that this was good news. It would be good for them, for your Btob brothers. You smiled as you recalled each of them in your memory, faces lit with determination at their upcoming debut. You nodded in understanding, watching Min Hyuk’s face soften into a fond grin. “What’s that?” He asked suddenly, pointing to a piece of paper strewed on the floor. You must have dropped it when you slipped. You quickly remembered the purpose of this visit, as you picked up the paper. “Oppa, did you ever visit Spain?” You asked eagerly, watching his eyes light up. “Yeahhh-Why are you asking?” He replied, eyeing you suspiciously as you jumped at his response. “Wait Seriously! When was it”, you probed enthusiastically, almost nervous for his answer. “I t was in 2008”, he replied as you froze in shock. 2008. That was exactly the year that you visited Spain as well. You snapped out of your trance when he gently shook you. “Is something wrong?” His voice quivered in anticipation. “Oppa, you won’t believe this”, you shook your head before unfolding the paper. You saw his hands take the paper from you uncertainly, his brown eyes actively scanning the paper and stopping when he reached the bottom, as his eyes fixed on a corner of the paper, mouth wide open in disbelief. “Tha-that’s m-me”, he stuttered, lost for words. Nodding along, you watched as his glanced back and forth between you and the paper, obviously stunned. When he finally regained control of his thoughts, it was clear that he too was searching through this memory for that particular moment. “That girl, she was… You”, he abruptly said, before chuckling at your puzzled expression. “Just a second”, he whispered before rapidly searching through one of his many drawers. After some moments, he pulled out an old-looking thumb drive and raised it in the air. You stared at his actions with confusion as he inserted it into his computer, and clicked the mouse furiously. You watched him scan through thousands of pictures, with unbelievable speed before he stopped at one particular picture, his mouth agape. “Let me see”, you called out before rushing beside him. “Oh-my—God”, you whispered in pure shock. The picture had the background of the chapel building of the Cordoba cathedral, captured in all its beauty. But what left you dumbfounded, was the figure of a girl perched on a bench in front of the tower, head bent low as she held a pencil, sketching on a canvas on her lap. Although her features could not be clearly seen, it was obviously you. You, with the same natural brown hair that fell by your shoulders in small curled waves, and the same blissful smile that crowned your pale face whenever you immersed yourself in drawing. You looked up at Min Hyuk, noticing that he too had the same expression of shock. “We met before”, you whispered, your words trailing off in midsentence. “Then… You were the girl I helped on the plane”, he said unsurely, slowly piecing two and two together. “That was you too??!”, you shouted in disbelief, watching his expression turn into an amused one. “YAH, is that any way to be grateful. Even at the age of 18 I was a strong, helpful boy”, he teased with mock-conceit as you smacked him playfully. “I still can’t believe it”, you mumbled under your breath as a smile plastered itself on your face. “Well, I can. And I know why it happened”, he said in satisfaction, as you turned to him curiously. “Why’s that?” You asked in genuine interest. “It was fate”, he replied, his face turned so he could look straight into your eyes. You watch as a soft expression spread over his sharp features, and as his brown orbs stared directly into yours. Both your faces were only mere centimeters away, as you felt your surroundings completely melt away into oblivion. You froze, eyes fluttering as you dared not move, afraid that the moment would pass. The only thing your mind was capable of processing was that your heart was beating ever so loudly against your chest, and it seemed like the air was filled with heartbeats of pure exhilaration and suspense, even if you were holding your breath.  To your surprise, he moved closer, movements blurred with slow and controlled steps as he slipped out of his swivel chair. Soon, the both of you were standing up, faces still precariously near to each other. From the corner of your eye, you saw him lift up his right hand and closed your eyes as you felt his touch tracing your ear. A pink blush crept up your already radiant cheeks as your eyes fluttered open, fixed on his eyes as he tucked a stray strand of hair behind your ears. “Mi Young-I”, he started to whisper before a loud ring of his cell phone made the both of you jump back, faces flushed with the scandalous exchange that the call interrupted. With an embarrassed smile, Min Hyuk answered the phone as you looked away, thoroughly confused by his earlier actions.

“Yes Hyung”
“What! Are you serious?”
“So what’s going to happen to us now?”
“I See. Well, call me before you guys arrive”
“Bye”…

You watched his expressions change from surprised and worry to a readable look of pure relief as he hung up. His eyes slowly met yours as a happy smile crept up on his face, leaving you guessing what had happened on the phone. “Something went wrong at our dorm, and so it won’t be ready until a few months later. Apparently, manager Hyung says our company still wants us to live together, and so after talking to our parents, they’ve decided that the members will move in with us here”, he explained with a joyful tone as he watched your expression intently.  Your face instantly lit up as you shouted. “Areyoufreakingserious?!!” You watched as Min Hyuk nodded proudly, chuckling at your cute expression. When you started jumping up and down in pure joy, he flicked your forehead gently, “Yahh! Are you that happy about more boys moving in?” He asked with a mock expression of annoyance, giving you his evil smirk. You were too happy to notice, “Nooo! I’m happy you don’t have to move out, because this is your one and only home”, you sang in a high voice, pouting at him cutely before skipping out of his room. ”Aish, this girl”, Min Hyuk muttered under his breath, unable to stop the speeding up of his heart upon hearing your sweet words. Watching your disappearing back, he smiled widely as he continued putting away the boxes. “I’m happy too. Home is where the heart is, and right now… My heart’s with you”, he whispered.                                                                                                              

 

 

heee so freaking cute (: I love that last quote, it made me squeal even though I was the one writing it! Anyways everyoneeee~ I'm back home safely! thanks for all the prayers and mercy journey wishes~ I  really really appreciate it, you guys are so sweet :3 Thank you for awaiting my return, and to really show my grattitude I present you this longggg chappie :3 Hope you guys enjoy it because BTOB'S moving innnn!~ I needed a way to create more interaction and show the members more so do follow this story!!! Sorry for the later than usual update, I was hit by jetlag so badly yesterday I slept for 15 hours~ And BTOB released father today (: They have such awesome voices and the song is so touching!!! And boy, minhyuk is just so awesome at both singing and rapping I can't even.... HAHA, but i love them all! I can't even choose a scond bias cause they're all so amazing in their own way :D Who are your biases hehehe? OH AND NEW SUBSCIRBERS, welcome to the family! !