Taking sides

Overnight Love

 

You had known that something was wrong with Minhyuk ever since he got home, but now felt assured that something was indeed troubling him. You had caught him in a daze several times at the dinner table, a barely noticeable frown on his forehead even though he’d always try to fight it with a small smile. He had even dropped a plate in the kitchen while offering to do the dishes and Eunkwang was caught giving him a worried look. Even though the maknaes were seated in front of the TV making tons of noises, you had noticed that throughout the night that the BTOB boys consistently glanced at you with worried expressions when they didn’t think you were looking. What exactly is going on , you thought anxiously. Trying to bring it up casually, you were doubly sure that something was wrong when the boys denied flatly, none daring to look you in the eyes.

“Hyunsik oppa, can I please ask you something”, you tugged on his sleeve gently. Hyunsik glanced around as the rest of the members dispersed upstairs to bed. Half of them were camping in Minhyuk’s room, while the other half gathered in the other guest room. Minhyuk had given you a brief goodnight peck before trailing upstairs without another word. “Sure Miyoung”, he smiled though his tone was hesitant. “Is there something you guys are not telling me?” You continued, reading Hyunsik for any tell tale signs. He bit down on his lip gently. “What makes you say that?” He added, clearly frazzled. “Minhyuk hasn’t been himself since he returned. I see the look you guys are give me whenever you think I’m not looking. It’s almost as if you guys are afraid I would disappear” You whispered cautiously. Hyunsik sighed deeply, knowing that BTOB’s plans to keep you uninvolved were not going smoothly. “Miyoung… there’s nothing you can do”, Hyunsik nodded at you in assurance. But the stubborn look on your face remained and he knew you were not going to budge. Hyunsik sighed once again, putting both his hands on your shoulders. “We just want you to be happy”, he whispered cryptically. “So we’re not letting anyone get in the way of your happiness”, Hyunsik smiled reassuring at you. “But who…”, you started again, stopping when Hyunsik whispered into your ear. “Be careful of B.A.P”.

 

The alarm on your phone rang and you sat up in bed. 11.55pm. You slid off the bed agilely and slipped on a woolen pullover. It wasn’t as if you had been asleep. In fact, you had been lying in bed for the past 2 hours, just pondering over what Hyunsik had said.

“Be careful of B.A.P.”  Was he talking about Daehyun too? “What exactly is going on”, you sighed in frustration. Slipping down the stairs, you were careful not to step on the creaky stair boards. Gingerly prying open the door, you looked back check that no one knew that you were sneaking out. Once you were in the driveway, the cold air sent chills up your spine. Spotting a hazy figure in a distance, your footsteps quickened. “Dae”, you whispered as he turned around. “Miyoung. I was worried you wouldn’t come”, Daehyun furrowed his brows and for a slight moment, he looked like the young boy of 5 you clearly remembered. “Silly boy”, you muttered before sitting down on the bench beside him. “Do you remember the last day we saw each other?” Daehyun suddenly spoke. You glanced at him, but he was staring blankly at the stars. “You mean the day I moved from here to Seoul?” You answered quietly. Daehyun nodded, giving you a small smile. “It was when we were eight”, He added. After a short silence, you sighed. “Time surely does pass in the blink of an eye”, you whispered. You suddenly looked down to your lap, where a box was placed. “What’s this?” You asked Daehyun curiously. He smiled almost sheepishly. “After you moved away, I was always hoping for you to return to visit your grandparents. On your 14th birthday, I gave this box to your grandma the day before and told her to give it to you if you ever came back. My dream finally came true, and I was officially accepted as a trainee in TS entertainment. I moved up to Seoul, and when I returned 4 years later, the box was still with your grandma. I thought I’d never get a chance to give you this, but here it is now”, A light blush spread on his cheeks as he smiled warmly.

You opened the box gingerly, only to find a old mp3 in it. Looking at Daehyun expectantly, he gestured to the earphones beside it. Slowly, you plugged in the earphones and the device.

 

I know it ain't easy for the two of us

That's right man but you know what? What's up?

Sometimes I just don't care what people say, man

Things are goin' crazy all the time, you know?

I got no choice, let me just do this for love

 

 Without anyone knowing, I love you

Without anyone knowing, I think of you

It's a love that only you and I know in this world

All day, I remember you

All day, I love you

Even if I'm in jail, it's okay - if only I have you, I can live

“It’s a song that I wrote”, Daehyun mused as the short melody came to an end. “Well, it’s the first part of the song secret love on our first album. It was the first song I ever tried to compose”, He explained.

“Why did you give it to me though?” You asked quietly, distractedly putting the mp3 player back into the box. “Don’t you know?” Daehyun’s tone raised slightly. “I like you Miyoung. I always have and I still do”, He added quietly. Your heart nearly stopped in your chest as the confession dawned on you. About half a minute must have passed before you responded, “Dae… I can’t-I don’t feel the same way”, You stammered. He stiffened beside you and somehow he looked as if he already expected such a response. “I have someone else I love”, you added cautiously, knowing that this was your childhood friend. When he didn’t respond, you took it as the cue to leave. “I’m really sorry Dae”, you whispered before rising from the chair. “It’s him isn’ t it”, Daehyun exclaimed, eyes as cold as steel. “What are you talking about Dae”, You answered coldly, trying to keep your cool. “I’m talking about Minhyuk, your brother. Or should I say boyfriend”, He exclaimed, voice void of the warmth that was present just minutes ago. “I don’t know what you’re talking about Dae”, you denied aloofly. “You know exactly what I’m talking about. He’s admitted it, so why have you been hiding it from me”, Daehyun frowned harshly.
Be careful of B.A.P Hyunsik’s words came back to you before it hit you. “WHAT DID YOU SAY TO MINHYUK”, you snarled, knowing it BAP had indeed done something to Minhyuk. “I told him to leave you. I met you first! He doesn’t deserve you. Miyoung, don’t you see that we’re meant to be?” Daehyun snapped in mixed frustration and desperation. SLAPPPP. Before you knew it, you had slapped Daehyun across the cheek. His hand flew to where you had hit him, eyes set with piercing distaste. “If I can’t have you, neither can he”, Daehyun muttered with finality, before shooting you one last glare and disappearing down the street. Tears peaked at the corners of your eyes as you breathed heavily. Catching sight of a piece of paper trampled near your feet, you bent to pick it up. Turning it around, you gasped at the image of you and Minhyuk. As your eyes glazed over with tears, the image blurred and you knew. This was all part of their plan. 

 

Hi everyone (: Double chapter to show my love and appreciation for all your support! I've been thinking of a way to really thank all of you who have taken the time to read my stories, and to those who have been my pillar of support and encouragment at any one point of time. As this story comes to a close, I won't be starting on any more full fledged fics ): However as a way of giving back to you, i'm thinking of writing some scenarios for you all over this summer (: Meaning, you can leave me a comment/message about a scenario/the person you wish me to write about (preferably BTOB) and I'll write a short story for each of you hopefully, as my way of saying "Thank you". What do you guys think of this? (: Would you guys like me to embark on this after this story ends? Let me know ! ^^