Warmth

Dare to Love Her

Today Mina had dance classes. She had woken up early to continue working on her project for a while because she was supposed to get something done yesterday but that didn't happen.

She had got distracted playing video games. They were sort of a safe place for her, ever since she was little she had liked them, but her mother thought that that wasn't proper of a girl. So she only got to play in secret, at Internet cafés or with friends. Now she was older and there was no need for that, but with her studies and all, it was something that she had left at home.

She had a great time playing. And she was in a very good mood. Who would have thought that when you weren't wasting so much energy hating on people, everything was much easier. She felt relieved. A big weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She felt like herself, which was something she had not felt for a while.

It was 10 am and she had been awake for about 3 hours now, she was still in bed but she was working on her project. She turned her head around to look at the girl sleeping in the bed of the other side of the room. Mina had noticed she always woke up earlier than Chaeyoung. She had also noticed that the girl sleeps on her back with her hands up her head grabbing her pillow, looking really carefree as if there was nothing bothering her. She had also noticed that whenever she was about to sleep, a tiny lamp was on all the time. Was she afraid of the dark? Mina was curious. She found herself once again staring. The girl suddenly opened her eyes and caught Mina's eyes on her. They made eye contact for what felt like a long time but only seconds passed when Chaeyoung decided to break it.

"Morning," she said stretching her arms.

"Hi," Mina said and got back to work.

She felt embarrassed but it didn't show. Yesterday she had apologized and her roommate was nice enough to make it all a thousand times easier for her, claiming that she understood Mina's actions. She was really curious about what was that she had understood so she asked, she needed a different point of view. She needed someone to say anything that made sense because she wasn't making any. And that's what she got, she was surprised. Everyone kept telling her how wrong she had been and how she needed to apologize, which she knew but Chaeyoung didn't say anything of the sort, Chaeyoung made her feel okay with herself saying that maybe she had her reasons, which she did. And that it was enough if she was trying, which she also was.

Enough. That word kept running on Mina's brain all night. Chaeyoung thought that her trying was enough. Was it?

Mina was less of a mess than she had been but she was still conflicted from time to time. Today, though, she felt renovated.

Because she was trying and that was enough.

Her roommate was full of surprises and Mina somehow was enjoying it, she could have asked for a better roommate, yes, but Chaeyoung was the roommate that had made her feel better and Mina, overall everything that she had made her go through or how she could have made her feel, was grateful that it had stopped, that's why when Chaeyoung had got up and was ready to leave and start her day Mina called her name without realizing.

"Yes?" Chaeyoung turned around.

"Uh," Mina was embarrassed. "Good luck today."

Chaeyoung smiled "You too." And she left. 

'real friendly, Mina, well done'

So she got on with the rest of her day until it was time to meet Momo and Sana at their dance lessons. 

"You look happy," Momo stated when Mina arrived. 

"Hi, Momoring," Mina greeted her. They hadn't seen each other since that day when they both got yelled at. They did talk on the phone about it though, so it was okay. Mina apologized to Momo for all the trouble and she also said thanks for standing by her side. She did not talk about her feelings of confusion and regret to Momo, because she was far too embarrassed to do that, so Momo just got what she could tell by Mina's actions and what Sana had said. 

"Hey." Sana arrived too hugging Momo and leaving her stuff on a corner, she also smiled to Mina. And Mina smiled back. The three of them were now okay.  Today's lessons were really tiring, the three girls were exhausted and happy when it ended, still, Sana asked if they should go together and grab something to eat. 

"Uhm yeah sure, I got tons of stuff to do but I prefer to ignore them all," Momo giggled.

"Yah, Momo, you should worry about your grades," Mina reprimanded her.

"They're okay, don't pressure me." She grabbed Mina's arm and walked with her. They were heading to a coffee shop nearby, it also had desserts and smoothies, which was what they were really craving now. 

"You still should be careful, Momoring, last semester was hard for you and you said the exact same thing," Sana added.

Momo just groaned and got closer to Mina.

"Okay, no need for that," Mina laughed. "We are here." They got inside and ordered some smoothies and just one piece of cake to share. They sat at one of the few tables that were there, it was a small place but Mina liked it. Momo got next to her and Sana was at the other side. 

"Yummy," she said while taking a bite of the cake. It reminded her of the piece Chaeyoung had got her. 

"Is it tasty? I'm really hungry, we should've bought more," Momo said grabbing her own big bite of the cake. "Mhh..."

"Did you like it? I could buy more for you," Mina smiled.

"I knew you were in a good mood," Momo . "Did something happen?"

"Not really, can't I just be in a good mood because?" 

"Well, yeah," Momo began, "but you know, maybe- whatever, I like you." Momo seemed to give up trying to explain herself and then just blurted the last part. Mina thought nothing of it but Momo lost all the color of her face and began again, "I mean, I- I  like that you're happy," she explained stuttering to which Sana facepalmed. 

"Okay?" Mina was confused with the sudden act. "I get it, thank you, I like it too," she nodded to Momo, who was too busy trying to regain her composure. 

"So," Sana tried to put an end to Momo's misery. "How's Chaeyoung, Minari?" she smiled.

'Ugh'

"Why would you ask me that?" Mina furrowed her brows. "She must be okay."

Mina hadn't told her friends about how she had been being nice to her roommate or about the cake or the game or how she usually got food from her. Nothing. Her friends just knew about how they had met and how she had put a line in the room. That's why they looked at her with a weird expression when she called Chaeyoung's name in a loud voice. 

For the second time that day she had called the girl's name without realizing it. 

Chaeyoung was paying for coffee at the register, hearing her name she turned and saw Mina, who was now cursing to herself under her breath. Sana on the other hand had caught on to what was happening and called for Chaeyoung again. 

"Come sit with us," she waved.

At that Chaeyoung looked at Mina as if asking for permission. 'When will she understand that I don't have to approve everything' Mina thought getting slightly irritated because, well, it was her own fault that the poor girl was traumatized about where to go and where not to. So she just nodded. 'This is going to be awkward'

Chaeyoung reached the table "Hi," she simply said.

"Sit here." Sana was smiling too much. Mina just kept eating while looking down and Chaeyoung took a seat slowly.

"So this is your roommate," Momo spoke. "You got some friend, uh? I really like Nayeon but I never thought I'll ever see her that mad." 

"Momo," Chaeyoung acknowledged.

"Did you really flashed Mina?" Momo suddenly questioned without hesitation.

"Momo!" Mina quickly gave a disapproving look to the girl beside her.

"What?" She said. "I think is a badass move, well done, Chaeyoung." Momo put her hand up in the air asking for a high five.

Mina rolled her eyes and Chaeyoung hesitated but put her hand up too, completing Momo's action. 

"How could you have confused her for a boy, Minari?" Sana asked in her usual sweet voice while looking at Chaeyoung. Mina had noticed how the girl had not left Chaeyoung out of sight this whole time. "She's too pretty for that." 

Mina couldn't believe Sana's behavior. She wanted to leave, this was too much. She looked at Chaeyoung and apparently she did not seem to be enjoying it either.

"Thank you," Chaeyoung answered, "uh, you are pretty too," she added. 'God, Chaeyoung you're too nice sometimes'  Sana giggled and looked away. 

'Don't act all shy now' Mina was mad, was Momo not seeing this? Why didn't she complain? Was she the only one uncomfortable here? That was too much, she got up real quick gaining a confused look from all three girls. Maybe she had acted too fast. 'Quick, Mina, think'

"Uh, Chaeyoung, are you heading to the dorms? We should go." 

Sana pouted, "No, don't go yet, we can all walk together in a while." 

"We have to go," Mina started getting impatient.

Chaeyoung seemed to notice Mina's weird ways so she tried to help. "Uh, yeah, actually I need to go and finish something." She stood up too. "It was nice meeting you again," she said to Sana and then tried to high-five Momo again, which Momo accepted happily.

'What a child' Mina thought of Momo.

"Okay then," Mina was in a rush "See you guys, bye." She passed behind Momo and grabbed Chaeyoung's arm leading her out of the place.

Outside she let out a big breath and released Chaeyoung to start walking away.

Chaeyoung caught up "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, you left in a rush."

Mina didn't know what to say, she was just awkward with the whole situation. Could she just say that? She didn't like Sana talking that way. Would Chaeyoung understand? Had she been mean again? She had to explain herself but she did not understand either. 

"Why did you call her pretty?" She blurted the first thing that came to mind in the middle of her mental debate.

"Sorry?"

"Sana. Why did you call her pretty?" Mina was losing it.

"Uh," Chaeyoung was confused "Well, she called me pretty first." 

"So you call pretty everyone that calls you pretty?" Mina was not making any sense now and she started walking faster. Chaeyoung had to catch up again.

"Uh, I don't, but she is, isn't she?" Chaeyoung answered slightly afraid of this Mina. "But why are you mad I don't-"

"I don't like that," Mina confessed, "I don't like her flirting that way."

"She was not flirting." Chaeyoung tried to calm Mina but it didn't work at all.

'Is she blind!?'

"SHE WAS CLEARLY FLIRTING WITH YOU." 

"Are you mad she was flirting with me?"

"I don't mind her flirting with you, I just don't want to see it," Mina clarified, "it's weird."

"Oh." Chaeyoung understood now, a bit. 

They had got to the dorms now and they were walking towards their room. Mina was still walking fast and Chaeyoung was right behind still lost. When they got inside, Mina let out a big breath.

"I-" She tried to explain. "I don't know why it makes me so mad," she confessed in a whisper. She did not know why she was saying this but it was true. And there was something about her roommate that seemed to make Mina not feel judged when she was feeling this way. 

She got to her bed and Chaeyoung hesitated for a moment if sitting next to her but then she preferred to sit on her own bed.

"I can't know either, Mina," Chaeyoung said slowly. "If you do not know then no one knows"

That wasn't what Mina wanted to hear. She had abandoned her furious state and was now feeling down. Why had she reacted that way? She thought she was making progress being nice. But she hadn't been mean, right? 

"Did it..." Mina felt exposed. "Uhm, does it look bad that I left that way? 

"I don't think they realized why you were bothered, but it definitely was weird."

"Okay, I can deal with that." Mina was feeling better.

"Uh, maybe you can..." Mina noticed how Chaeyoung scratched her head while talking. "Maybe you can play with my Switch," She finally said. "Would you like that?"

The truth is Mina would really like that, she needed a distraction.

"Really?"

"If you want to, yeah." Chaeyoung then looked for the device and handed it to Mina.

"Thanks," she smiled a bit.

She felt warmth. There was something about Chaeyoung that made it easy to talk, which was weird because she spent weeks trying not to say anything to the girl, now she just could think about how much they could have shared in those moments. Chaeyoung used to talk to her either way. She would say good morning and good night, she would even ask her things without getting an answer and she would buy her food despite the silence. Maybe she had enjoyed listening to her, and now she was not afraid of talking to her because she had seen the girl making a fool of herself. Chaeyoung was too nice, she deserved better than her, so Mina was going to be better. That's what she promised herself.

She left her thoughts and searched for something to play with. She was comfortable in her bed with the device, she paused the game for a bit and looked at Chaeyoung, the girl had decided to keep working on her painting. Mina could see how it was taking form, it looked like a sunflower, but it had something different that she wasn't sure of. 

'You're staring again, Mina'  She thought, and without realizing she left out a big breath causing Chaeyoung to turn around.

"You got bored?" She smiled at Mina 

"Mhh." Mina looked away and grabbed her pillow putting it under her head while surrounding it with her arms. She felt warmth. 

"I'd offer you food but I'm not gonna lie, I'm starting to get poor."

"So you are not a millionaire?" Mina joked.

"Not yet," Chaeyoung objected.

"But I wanted to be your sugar baby," she pouted. 

At that Chaeyoung laughed aloud, "Yeah sure." 

"Well, we have to eat, I can buy for the both of us today," Mina offered.

"That'll be nice." 

So Mina ordered some food and she kept playing while waiting for it, as Chaeyoung kept painting. The whole scene seemed domestic as if they had been friends for a long time. The whole vibe of their room was something that made Mina really comfortable. 

'Weirdly comfortable' She thought 'And warm'