That's karma.

Dare to Love Her

She fell asleep that night in a heartbeat.

After the settlement of her new room and the statement of her rules made loud and clear she had no energy left for too much tossing and turning. During the day it was also pretty tiring to move her bags around and the later organization of her belongings. Not to mention the most important event of her afternoon, the shock of meeting her new roomie.

This had drained all of her positive morning attitude. No matter how much she had liked the location or arrangement of the new place, there's no denying that she had left one inconvenient -her heartbroken raging lesbian ex-roommate- for another one much more difficult to deal with.

She could deal with Sana. She just wanted to get involved with other more... normal people, at least as in having to share a room with. She even liked Sana. They were friends. She had been her roommate for a year and a half, all their first year. Sana had such positive energy but she got her heart broken too many times. Mina had the strong belief that the girl didn't even realize how she got herself into so much drama, but she always ended up crying in their room over how much she had messed up or how -whoever new girl was she seeing at the moment- didn't understand her heart at all. Mina found this quite annoying, the crying, no the broken heart part, because she still had some soul in her and she really hoped for Sana to find the one even though she didn't quite understand or agree with her ways.

Now Chaeyoung was a completely different kind of awkward. Imagine she felt weird sharing a room with pretty nice cutesy hot mess Sana, who even though a lesbian, was the girliest of them all, how was she feeling now having to sleep next to boyish tiny unashamed Chaeyoung. It's true she didn't know the girl at all but from what she could guess, that just wasn't what she wanted for a roommate.

After their encounter, she had left the room and took a walk around campus going nowhere, really, but just talking to herself and frowning.

'oh god'

'How could she just-'

'she?!'

'she really looked like a boy'

'I can't go back there'

And she continued to debate with herself and relive the events just passed over and over again until she decided to march into the office of the room's supervisor again and asked for another change of rooms.

She really really tried.

But her reasons were not nearly enough.

No one understood her position or how awkward it was for her.

"Mina I'm sorry, okay? you already got one and that's more than I can say for other girls that have asked me." the tired middle-aged woman behind the desk told her after a pointless conversation. "You got your new roommate and if you don't like her for whatever reason there's nothing more I can do, just ignore her, would you? you guys don't have to see each other much, just at night, right? and barely. With classes and all," The woman finally stated.

Mina tried to argue but nothing seemed to help her case.

She gave up and decided to go back to the room. Chaeyoung wasn't there so she took the time to come up with her plan and fixed her stuff.

Now after a weirdly nice night of sleep, she felt some light peeking through her eyes and after a minute or two finally sat on the bed waking up for real.

Looking around the room from her position, she realized Chaeyoung wasn't there. 'an early bird this one'

Mina was pleased with the reaction her new roomie gave her last night. She didn't object to the rules and didn't make a sound after going to bed.

Maybe it wouldn't be so difficult to try and live a peaceful life in this room after all.

She looked at Chaeyoung's bed. It was nicely done and everything around was completely in order.

'she's neat I'll give her that'

She stood up, easily made her bed, and took her phone

11:08 am.

She had her first classes at 2 pm

1 message from M. Sana

3 messages from Mom❤️

1 message from Momoring

She decided to answer the girls later and call her mom.

After 3 beeps the woman answered very excitedly.

"Honey, I sent you a text, you didn't answer. How are you doing?!"

"I'm doing fine, mom." She decided to keep her little inconvenience a secret. "The room is nice."

"Oh how wonderful, I'm really happy you don't share a room with that other girl." Her mother sounded really grateful.

"Mom, Sana wasn't that bad..." Mina for whatever reason wanted to defend her-even though weirdly- friend.

"Oh you know what I mean, Mina," The woman urged. "Just surround yourself with better people, like sweet Momo- how is she by the way?"

"Oh-" Mina seemed surprised by the sudden question, she didn't know how Momo was, they hadn't talked since the summer break and now for the start of the new semester, she hadn't reached to her. "I'll see her today in class, she must be doing great, mom."

"That's nice, I like her. Well okay, honey I'll leave you to it, get breakfast if you haven't, it's important to you," Her mom added quickly.

"Alright, love you." And she hung up.

Her mother could be a bit too much sometimes.

Now, Momo.

11:11 am

From momoring yesterday at 11:23pm
how dare you abandon me all summer🤨
would I be seeing you in class tomorrow?  🤒

To momoring 11:12am
don't make such a big deal. let's meet for lunch before class.

f rom momoring 11:12am
we have to talk I know what you did🤠

Momo's emojis never made sense. But she knew what they needed to talk about. Momo probably heard from Sana about how she had changed rooms, and she could figure out the reason.

Sana might believe whatever silly excuses Mina came up with but Momo had noticed how she didn't like one bit Sana's relationships and the awkward way she acted whenever Sana brought the topic into a conversation.

Whatever.

She had the right to change rooms if she felt uncomfortable, or did she? Because right now she was feeling more than uncomfortable and there didn't seem to be anything to help her. Either way, she had to get used to it now.

Mina got up and went to the bathroom to wash her face and get ready for the day.

When she had gathered her things for the classes after lunch and checked the time, she headed over to the place Momo had texted her to meet her. She said she was going to buy lunch for both of them and to find her at the outside tables near the campus cafeteria. Mina didn't feel like eating in the exterior but Momo had bought lunch so...

As she walked near the tables she spotted Momo quickly.

"Minari!" a happy voice called for her.

She approached Momo and sat in front of her after giving her a big hug.

"I've missed you," Momo pouted.

Momo had bought two burgers and fries for lunch.

"This is what you call lunch?"

"hey is tasty."

"Okay, I missed you too"

"I know you did, now eat." the older girl grabbed her food and started eating.

"Did you buy something to drink?"

"oh, yeah." Momo looked at her feet where she had a bag with two juice boxes, took them, and gave one to Mina.

"Strawberry, nice," Mina smiled.

"So," Momo left her burger aside and looked directly at Mina's eyes, "why did you do it?"

She felt the gaze of the girl making her face slightly red and looked away. "You know"

"I don't want to believe it."

"It is what it is." Mina looked again at Momo

"Is not like that, Mina, we are all friends, you can't just leave your roommate because of who she likes," Momo began, "and it doesn't make sense at all because she's your friend I know she is, we are supposed to trust and care for each other."

Both Mina and Momo were pursuing a business degree but they had also both entered dance classes in their first year and Sana was also there. As Sana recognized her roommate, she approached them and that's how the friendship began. In the beginning, nothing seemed out of the ordinary for Mina, she liked her new friends but soon after a couple of weeks, she started noticing Sana's ways with simple comments like:

'oh she is so beautiful'

'wow, I need to get her number'

'yah, Momo did you see that girl?'

'the possibilities of getting a girlfriend are higher this year'

Mina didn't dare to say anything directly at her but something did shift when she realized how Sana was a hopeless lesbian. And Momo noticed it too.

Did Sana realize?

If she did, she didn't show it.

Momo and Sana started to get along as well as Momo and Mina and sometimes even more due to Mina's absence or excuses to not hang out with Sana as much as they originally used to. But either way, they still called each other friend and they continued with their second year. Now in the second semester of their second year, the first big undeniable homophobic act of Mina had happened, she changed rooms.

Ever since they had known about Sana's uality Momo had had to act as a sort of balance, in between, the voice of reason, explaining to Mina that nothing was wrong with that or voice of comfort, reassuring Sana that everything was okay and she didn't have to worry. It seemed to work for the most part but now?

"You have to apologize," Momo finally stated.

"I know we are friends," Mina tried, "but, Momoring, you know how she..."

"Mina there's nothing wrong with her-"

"I know, I know," Mina cut her off. "But we shared a room, what if she fell in love with me or something?"

"So what?" Momo laughed at her. "You're not that pretty, you know?"

"You know you are lying, but okay, I can't apologize, Sana doesn't know the real reason I left."

"Mina, I think she knows, she has been pretty sad, we talked."

"Oh."

Mina had been really selfish with everything and it was kind of hard for her sometimes to get other people's feelings into consideration.

"You know..." Mina began "if I could go back I would." Momo looked at her with a confused face. "For real."

"What? but why? Is your new roomie an infatuated lesbian too?"

Mina kept quiet.

"No way," Momo shouted. "THERE'S NO WAY." She seemed to find this really funny as she choked on her saliva from laughing too hard.

"Don't laugh." Mina was embarrassed "That's not the worst part," she said almost in a whisper.

Momo calmed herself down and stared attentively at her friend signaling for her to continue

And that's how Mina told her the whole messy story from yesterday not leaving any detail forgotten.

"Girl, THAT'S KARMA," Momo shouted making Mina uncomfortable. "How could you confused her with a boy?" 

"She's a complete tomboy, Momoring," Mina cried. 

"Oh God and she had to lift her hoodie up, that's a badass move, I like her already, when should I meet her?" Momo reasoned quite fast "What's her name again?"

"Who cares!" Mina complained. "You're not helping."

"Okay, okay but... you just saw how she dresses, and her hair, like," Momo tried to reason with her, "you have no idea if she actually likes girls or something"

"Of course she does, Momo, you didn't see her, it was obvious."

"There's no such a thing as obvious." Momo tried again. "Unless you have a gaydar, you know, gay people have really good ones, maybe you ha-"

"Don't be stupid," Mina answered slightly worried. "Don't go around saying those things, I don't have anything related to that."

"Except a friend."

"Right," Mina remembered.

"You sure have a magnet for them, don't you?" Momo .

"What? no, don't say that. I still have you." Mina didn't like how her friend was so open with all of this

"Sure," Momo smiled weirdly. "Okay but, let me get this straight, you made a line?"

"Yes."

"With tape?"

"Yeah."

"On the floor."

"Mmh hm"

"And she didn't protest?"

"Nope."

"Not at all?

Mina was getting tired of all these questions, she looked at the time and it was almost enough to get to class.

"Not at all, I don't know, we'll see, but Momo, we have to get to class. Stand up."

"But-"

"We can't talk later, hurry"

And that's how lunch ended. They went to class and left the topic for the time being. Mina felt at peace.

All she had to do now was wait and hope for things to not be that awkward.

We'll see.