Cute

Dare to Love Her

Chaeyoung woke up that morning because her phone was ringing. Her alarm wasn't supposed to sound until 12pm so, she tried to ignore whoever was calling. It didn't work. Reaching with her hand not opening her eyes she grabbed the device.

"Mhh," she whined

"I know I'm a genius but why were you reminding me?" Nayeon's voice reached her ears

"Oh," she said, this time opening her eyes remembering the events from last night, she raised her head a bit to check if Mina was there, she wasn't apparently, her bed was made. So she sat on her bed to answer Nayeon properly. "You cracked her," Chaeyoung finally answered.

"What are you talking about, come on Chaeyoungie wake up, it's late," Nayeon protested.

"It's barely 10 am, Nayeon please," she complained back. "But, Mina. I don't know how much your words got to her but somehow now I can cross the line,"  Chaeyoung said while looking at the line on the floor, smiling without noticing. 

"Congratulations, Chaeyoung, now you're being treated like you were always supposed to," Nayeon answered with sarcasm. 

"Give me a break," Chaeyoung sighed. "Yesterday she was nice, I'm happy."

"Okay, so she's magically cured. Let's celebrate," Nayeon continued with an attitude, "or better yet, just continue with your life and don't go saying that you're happy just because someone that was awful to you with no reason is now being decent," Nayeon ended the call. 

"Hello?" Chaeyoung asked. "Wow, this girl. Okay." She dialed Nayeon's number to finish the conversation properly. Nayeon answered right away.

"Wrong number." 

"Nayeon, say goodbye to me properly or I'll cry."

Nayeon left out a big breath. "Goodbye, Chaeyoungie, have fun being treated like a human, love you." 

"Well that's close enough, bye, and thank you for defending my honor." This time Chaeyoung hung up.

'That went well.'

Chaeyoung decided to sleep for a few more minutes, she had classes at 2pm, she had time to get ready and get lunch too. She was in a good mood, not even Nayeon making fun of her could ruin that. Today after classes she was going to meet Dahyun and Tzuyu at the study hall, but they barely never studied. She would get there, Tzuyu would give her coffee as usual and then they'll try to study until some nonsensical quarrel between her two friends started. They bickered so much that Chaeyoung was not sure if it was only when there was other people around or if they were like that in their room too, how could they live together? Oh, but Chaeyoung was in no position to judge anyone's living situation so she would just ignore them, and that's exactly what happened that afternoon too. 

She got her coffee, they studied for a while, and then she got tired of them, gathering her things to leave, the truth is that she also wanted to get to her room early just to see if Mina was there and how would things develop since she hadn't seen her since last night. "If you keep fighting like that, maybe you should go to a couples' counseling," she joked once she had everything ready to leave. 

Tzuyu looked at her with an expression that Chaeyoung couldn't read and Dahyun just elbowed her in the ribs making Tzuyu leave her state of shock. 

"Okay, I was joking." Chaeyoung rolled her eyes "See you then. Please behave."

And she left without an answer because they were just too much sometimes. Had she said something wrong? Whatever, they were the ones that couldn't stop arguing, she was not going to put up with that, not today. 

She got to her room and Mina was there. On top of her bed, where she had many worksheets and books all around her and she was typing on her laptop where some nice steady music was coming from. 

She left her things on her chair and sat on her own bed. "Hey," she tried.

"Hey," Mina said looking up for a few seconds acknowledging Chaeyoung's presence to then return to her task.

"Hard test?"

"Important project," Mina answered.

Chaeyoung decided that was enough, she didn't want to bother the girl either, she clearly needed to concentrate. She had done her homework at the study hall, there was nothing she needed to study for either. She could always draw something or keep working on her painting but she wasn't in the mood, so she looked inside her nightstand for her Nintendo Switch, she turned it on and got comfortable on her bed selecting some game, but she forgot to put on some headphones or lower the volume to not bother Mina. 

The device made a noise that resonated in the whole room over Mina's low music. Chaeyoung looked quickly at Mina with a sorry face "Sorry" She said.

But Mina had moved her laptop aside "You play?" She asked with a curious face. 

"Uhm," Chaeyoung doubted. The truth is that she didn't. She had got the thing as a gift and she had tried some games but she barely used it. It just wasn't her thing, but she still kept it and used it from time to time, like now, that she really had nothing else to do. Seeing Mina's interest face caught Chaeyoung by surprise. "Not really I-" But Mina had got up leaving her things and crossing the tape like it was nothing, she got close to Chaeyoung's bed.

"Let me see what you got," she added offering her hand to Chaeyoung so she could pass her the thing, which she did. 

"Really, I don't it's just-"

"Oh you're missing all the good ones here," Mina pouted.

'Cute' 

"I guess so, the truth is I-" But Chaeyoung was interrupted once again.

"Oh, but you have Smash Bros." Mina approved with a smile. "We should play sometime," she added, and by sometime she probably meant now because she walked reaching the closet and opening one of the doors, there was a small tv that Chaeyoung had never really tried to use. They were supposed to work but half of them never did. "Does this one work?"

"I don't know I haven't tried it yet."

"Can we connect it?" She asked lifting the Switch up.

Chaeyoung looked under her bed where she kept the box of the Nintendo, taking it out. "Uhm yeah, you can..." But she decided to leave her sentence incomplete because Mina was already taking everything they needed and skillfully setting everything up. 

'Is she really that into this stuff?'

After some minutes Mina called her to sit on the ground with her. "It's ready," she said, "come."

Chaeyoung knew that since last night, Mina was making it clear that things would change but she never in a million years would've thought that she was going to be playing video games with her.

Chaeyoung was moving slowly so Mina called her again.

'Get it together, Chaeyoung'

"Are you okay?" Mina asked. 

"Yes, yeah, did you pick your character?" Chaeyoung babbled.

And that's how they got into an intense game of Smash Bros, and by intense it meant that Mina beat Chaeyoung every time. 

"Are you even trying?" Mina questioned making fun of the girl next to her.

Chaeyoung had really tried but the combination of her being too bad at the game and Mina being so good was just awful. 

"I am." Chaeyoung was less of a mess, she had left her state of surprise, she was just embarrassed now.

"It doesn't seem like it," Mina argued. "It's okay though, I know I'm good." 

"Oh, you're not that good," Chaeyoung lied.

"Right," Mina said while sending Chaeyoung's character to infinity once again.

They had been playing for an hour now and Chaeyoung decided to get up.

"You're quitting?"

"I'm hungry, should I get us food?"

"Perfect." Mina got up too and started to put everything in place. After fixing the game stuff she also arranged her worksheets and books.

"Won't you finish that?"

"The project? I can keep working tomorrow, it's not due till next week," Mina clarified.

"What do you want to eat?" Chaeyoung asked, looking at her phone, apparently, she didn't feel like going out so she was going to order something.

"Chicken!" Mina clapped with a smile.

'cute'

So Chaeyoung ordered some chicken. 

After some minutes of waiting, she went to get it to the door and when she returned from the small hallway she saw Mina trying to remove the red tape from the floor. 

"Why did I buy such a good tape," she was mad whispering to herself.

'cute'

So Chaeyoung left the bags on her desk and helped Mina to take the tape out from the other side. But Mina had been so concentrated trying to stick out her own side that she hadn't noticed Chaeyoung had already taken out most of it, so when she saw some feet on the ground, she lifted her head up in surprise.

"Here," Chaeyoung said handing her all the sticky removed tape. 

Mina looked like she didn't want Chaeyoung to see her taking it out and was about to say something but Chaeyoung beat her to it. "It's okay," she reassured Mina, "now it's gone." 

Mina grabbed the thing and put it in the trash while Chaeyoung returned to the bags to take everything out. Mina then got a small table from the closet and put it on the floor between the two beds. "Let's eat together." 

"Okay," Chaeyoung simply said putting everything on the table and then sitting on the floor. 

An awkward silence took place.

They had a great time playing and they only had to talk about the game or make fun of Chaeyoung's awful skills but now? 

Did she have to say something? Or would Mina prefer the quiet? Chaeyoung was okay with either, but she wanted to know the girl too, and thinking how things had developed today, she thought there was nothing wrong with trying and making conversation. But what could she ask? There were so many things she could say.

"Do you still think I look like a boy?" Of all the things Chaeyoung could have asked, she chose this.

Mina looked at her, leaving some piece of chicken aside. She eyed Chaeyoung for a few seconds making the girl slightly self-conscious.

"You don't," Mina said. "You... have quite a unique style," she continued to Chaeyoung's surprise, "it's cute."

'cute?'

"Cute?" Chaeyoung couldn't help but ask.

"Well, yeah." Mina moved her hand trying to explain signaling to Chaeyoung. "You are..." She hesitated and then added, "tiny."

"Tiny?"

Mina nodded and kept eating her food. Chaeyoung on the other hand was blushing.

What was she supposed to say? She was not that tiny, she was okay.

"I'm not that tiny."

"If you say so."

"I won't buy you any more food."

Mina stopped eating. "What? Why?"

"Because you're insulting me."

Chaeyoung found it really funny how she felt that her roommate wasn't insulting her before when there was a division between them but she did felt insulted now that she had called her tiny.

'priorities'

"I didn't know it was such an issue to you," Mina explained. "Please keep buying me food," she pouted.

'is she for real?' Chaeyoung thought, there's no way this was her roommate of a month ago.

"So, you are only being nice because of the food?"

"well, yeah, what else?" Mina laughed.

'cute'

"Okay then, forget it," Chaeyoung stood up, "I won't buy any more food."

"Then I'll put the line back down."

"You won't do that."

"What makes you say that?"

Chaeyoung thought for a moment. What made her say that? She had no idea what had happened in Mina's mind to make her regret her previous actions, she had seen her struggle and she was sure the girl was much more complicated than she looked, but what was she thinking? Until now she had no idea how Mina's mind worked because every time she thought the girl was going to do something, she ended up surprised. Like today. She knew the girl was not going to be mean, but she wasn't just that, she had also been nice. They had played and talked and ate and joked and now she had asked her to keep buying her food. But why? What made Chaeyoung so sure that the girl was not going to shut down again and look at her with disgust.

Mina must have noticed Chaeyoung was malfunctioning because she stood up too with a serious face.

"Hey," she said in almost a whisper. "I-" Mina cleared . "I never said anything but... I'm sorry, okay?" She sighed. "I had no reason to treat you like I did."

That. That was exactly what made Chaeyoung so confused. See? had she seen that coming? She had not.

Chaeyoung remained in silence for some reason. That made Mina a bit worried.

"Uh, it's okay if you don't forgiv-"

"No, no, I get it," Chaeyoung finally answered. "I do accept your apology, I understand."

"What do you understand?" Mina asked with a voice that indicated she really wanted an answer. She had a conflicted face.

"I understand that we are all different," Chaeyoung tried to make sense. "And that I don't know you, you must have had your reasons, and if you didn't then, well, now you're trying right? I..." Chaeyoung doubted if she really was going to say what she wanted to say. "I heard you that day with your friend," she finally said. Mina didn't react, she just kept looking at Chaeyoung expecting her words. "Uh, it was not on purpose, you know, it was just that uhm, the walls," she explained. "But yeah, you sounded really troubled and it seemed to me that you really were trying or wanted to and that's, well, enough, isn't it?

Mina got closer to Chaeyoung making the girl slightly nervous.

"You really are something else, Chaeyoung," she smiled.

'cute'

That ended the night. They cleaned everything up and went to bed.

Chaeyoung found herself texting Nayeon for the second night in a row.

 

To Nayeon💙
Nayeonnie, I think there's something wrong with me.