Five – Sick Karina

Corporate Entanglement
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Karina felt her body getting heavy with every move that she made. She gently opened her eyes but regretted it afterwards because her head started to ache badly. Karina let out a loud groan, loud enough for one of their maids to hear. A gentle knock on the bedroom door was heard but Karina was too weak to even answer. After a few minutes, their maid went inside to check what was happening.

“Young lady Jimin, is everything alright?”

Karina didn't respond. Instead, she grabbed the hem of her thick blanket and covered her whole body with it. The curtains were still closed but the maid chose not to open it for she didn't want Karina to be mad. The maid then walked closer to check what was wrong with the young girl. She gently tapped Karina's forehead and was surprised to feel how hot her skin was.

“Oh my– you're having a fever. I'll go get your breakfast and a medicine.”

“Where's mom?” Karina asked, hoping to feel the warmth of her mother like what she used to do whenever her daughter was sick.

“My apologies young lady Jimin, but your mom already left for work. She told me she won't be home along with your dad until the weekend, probably for business purposes,” the maid explained with a hint of sadness.

Karina smiled bitterly. Ever since she grew older and their business became wider and more prosperous, her parents already forgot about her and their responsibilities as Karina's guardians. They rarely come home and never text or call her, unless it's about an important matter. Karina has been living with their maids since then and they were the ones who took care of her whenever she was sick. 

“I see. Please get me a glass of warm water as well,” Karina requested before turning her back. The maid then left her room to do what she was told. 

Karina slowly reached for her phone and checked her contacts. She saved Winter's number days ago when her dad told her to do so. She sighed as she stared at the number. Winter was probably in school and she didn't want to bother the younger so she decided not to call her. Instead, she texted Giselle and told her that she wouldn't be able to attend their classes for today. 

A few minutes later, a specific person called Karina's number and she immediately answered it.

“Hello?” Karina uttered, her voice cracking due to her colds.

“What happened? Are you okay?” It was Giselle from the other line.

“Yeah, I'm just having a fever. Are you in school already?”

“Yep. I saw Winter entering the gates with a very pretty girl, she looked younger than her.”

“Oh– that's probably her best friend. Anyway, could you tell our professors that I won't be coming today?”

“Of course. Get well sooner!”

“Thanks Aeri. Bye.”

The both of them hung up. Karina placed her phone back on the bedside table and hugged her dark blue bolsters tightly. It was a gift from her mom on her 16th birthday and she never lets anyone else touch it. She once kicked a maid out for putting it on the laundry without asking for her permission.

“Young lady Jimin, it's time for you to eat. Ahjumma cooked fresh vegetables for you. Here's your medicine too.”

The maid placed the small table on Karina's bed. The girl rested her back on the headboard and started eating. She also had a hard time swallowing the food but she managed to empty the plate. Karina grabbed the tablet and drank it along with the glass of warm water.

“Thank you. I would like to rest now.”

The maid bowed her head before holding the table and stepping out of Karina's room.

Karina went back to her original position, her bolsters in between her thighs and her thick blanket all wrapped around her. She gently closed her eyes and hoped that she would feel better once she wakes up.

--

Winter's class was dismissed early due to an upcoming event in their school. She received a text from Ningning and the younger said she already went home because of the school works that she had to finish. Winter grabbed her backpack and left the room. To her surprise, she accidentally bumped on Karina's lovely cousin. 

“I am so sorry, I wasn't looking at my way.” Winter continuously apologized as she bowed her head, afraid of being bullied again. 

“Heiress of the Kim Enterprises? My cousin's fiancée?” 

Winter looked up and saw a very beautiful girl who looked like she was the same year as Karina's. She was wearing a wide smile and Winter immediately softened, knowing that she wouldn't be in trouble after all. The girl looked really nice and approachable. 

“Uhm, yes. I'm Winter.”

“Giselle. Nice to finally me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter