Chapter 2: The so-called ‘stupid.’

The genius has fallen

 

*RING~RING~RING-“shut up…” A girl named Lee Miho lazily turned off her alarm and stretched her body while still lying. *I’ll just get up later…* she thought. But that ‘later’ turned up into couple of minutes.

 

“Yah Miho! Wake up! You are so late!” Her mom yanked her comforter away from her earning a groan from her daughter. Miho looked at her clock and frowned.

“Mom it’s still early..” she whined.

“What are you saying? It’s already late!” Her mom yelled.

“Mom it’s still 6:15. Gates close at 7:45am and classes starts at 8.” She yawned.

Her mom just sighed and shook her head. *This stupid kid. I bet she got it from her dad.*

“Miho you’re already a third year student and you still don’t know how to read time? It’s already 7, 7:19am to be exact. Get your lazy up or you’re gonna be late.” Her mom told her and got out of her room.

“What is she saying 7-OH MY GOLLY. I’M LATE!!” She hurriedly went to fix herself when she saw that she indeed misread the time.

 

Lee Miho (Noun)

1.   A girl born and raised from a middle class family in Busan.

2.   Spent almost all of her life in Busan thus had difficulty in getting rid on her ‘BUSAN ACCENT.’

3.   Never had a boyfriend since birth.

4.   Jolly and gullible. She does things people ask her to do whole-heartedly making it easier to bully her around.

5.   Makes rash decisions and blurting/doing things she didn’t think twice of and is easily distracted. Thus, earning her the title ‘stupid’, ‘idiot’.

 

It’s 7:40am and the girl is running her heart out towards the gate of their humble school, Busan High. *I can make it! I can make it-Oh look a cute kitty!* she saw a kitty quietly her paws and immediately run to it. “Wah so cute!” she squealed while petting it’s head. “I wish I had a kitten like you-OMO! I’M LATE!” she hurriedly ran towards their gate but it’s no use. It’s already close with the grumpy P.E. teacher Mr. Nam looking at her.

 

“Tsk tsk, first day of class and your late AGAIN student Lee?” Mr. Nam eyed her while smirking.

“W-Well.. I saw a really I mean really cute kitty on my way and I can’t help but to pat it so I did and I forgot I’m late and and… Miahne..” she said bowing her head.

“You should know I don’t just accept apologies. Run 5 laps. NOW.” He said.

“N-Neh.” The girl unwillingly obliged. *Aish I’m really such a pabo. At least I didn’t get to run 10 laps like last time* she happily thought.

 

The girl finally finished her punishment and went towards her classroom. She bowed her head towards their homeroom teacher Mrs. Kim who just shook her head, and went towards her seat.

 

“Yah you’re late again.” Her best friend, Shin Dongho snickered.

“I know. You don’t have to rub it in.” She pouted.

The young boy just chuckled towards his best friend’s cuteness. They have been best friends since grade school when Dongho’s family moved in their neighboring house.

 

“As I was saying before, our school was luckily chosen by TS High school to do an exchange program with-“

“what’s TS High school?” Miho whispered to Dongho.

“It’s an elite school from Seoul Miho-ssi.” Mrs. Kim apparently heard Miho’s ‘whisper’ and answered her making the young girl “Oh..” shyly.

“It’s a school consist of the brightest and best students in different fields like sports, music, and different contests. Because Busan is getting popular these days and because our school represents Busan itself, they decided to do the program with us. A student from this class is gonna be picked.” She said.

 

Miho’s class is the top class in their year. You might be asking ‘if she’s that stupid why does she belong there?’ Well Miho might be stupid regarding common sense but she’s definitely not stupid when it comes to tests earning her the 2nd rank in terms of intelligence in their whole school. It still a great mystery to all the people around her how a girl that lacks common sense and shows sign of stupidity in her daily life can be this smart.

 

“But because Kim Hyunji, the 1st in terms of intelligence ranking just got into an accident a week ago before the start of school semester, we decided to let the 2nd in rank take her place as a representative of our school.” She said and eyed Miho carefully wanting to know her reaction but the latter just stare at her.

“She will have to pack her things and get ready for she’s gonna leave in a week.” She continued.

“She should not do anything to disgrace our school’s name with her crazy antics.” She said eyeing Miho who in turned just stare blankly at her.

“Do you understand Lee Miho?” She decided to directly ask her.

“I understand but does it concern me?” Miho innocently asked and Mrs. Kim pacefalmed herself.

“Of course IT DOES. Have you forgotten who is the 2nd place next to Kim Hyunji?” she asked. The latter think hard, widened her eyes and gulped realizing the situation. *Finally, it’s sinking in.* the poor teacher thought and get on with class.

 

“Ottoke?? What will I do when I get there??” Miho whined to Dongho who just shrugged while eating his sandwich. The two are now spending their lunch time in the rooftop, their favorite place.

“I don’t know but you can do it. Think of this as a opportunity to widen your horizon.” He said.

“but I don’t want to widen it..” she pouted.

“Pabo.” Her friend chuckled and lightly hit her head.

“what if they made fun of my accent?” she asked while tugging his sleeves.

“don’t care about what they think and just be you. The exchange program will last only for six months anyways. After that your gonna be back here in the arms of our humble school again.” He said.

“You’re right. But I don’t really like it when someone tease me regarding my accent.” She said. The boy just nodded remembering the time where his best friend cried because of some kid from Seoul who made fun of her.

“You’ll be fine.” The boy assured her with a smile. Believing anything he says the girl nodded and had a firm look on her face. She stood up and breathed in.

“I’M GONNA BE FINE!!! I’M GONNA CONQUER SEOUL!!” She shouted towards the blue sky.

“CONQUER BUSAN FIRST!!!!!” Mr. Nam who is still in the ground with the students he’s punishing hollered.

“N-NEH!” Miho shyly shouted and ducked her head in embarrassment.

“I’m really a pabo..” she said earning loud laughter from her bestfriend who witness the scene.

“haha don’t worry. You’re a cute pabo.” He said while ruffling her hair.

 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````