°CHAPTER 28°

Of Love & Promises (사랑과 약속의
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]CHAPTER 28[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]17 AUGUST 2018[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

Upon learning that Sehun had been admitted to the hospital, Irene raced there urgently, her heart pounding with the fear of losing him. Her thoughts were a chaotic jumble as she sprinted through the hospital corridors, the possibility of Sehun's precarious state clouding her ability to think clearly. Finally reaching the operation theatre, her eyes met Baekhyun's, and the expression on his face tore at her insides.

 

"W-what happened?!" she stammered, her breath catching as she fought to hold back tears.

 

The previous day, she had visited Sehun early in the morning, despite his consistent avoidance of her. She maintained her shameless facade, willing to endure anything for Sehun's sake. Absurd as it may seem, she was ready to cut her heart out for him. All that mattered was his well-being.

Please be okay, Sehun.

Though it pained her to witness the cold distance from someone she loved, she brushed it aside. Her only concern was Sehun's recovery. Just two months ago, she had grappled with the fear of losing him, and now those haunting emotions resurfaced.

 

"Have you informed Mrs. Oh..." Suddenly, thoughts of her ex-fiancé's mother crossed her mind.

"No... don't tell grandma... Please?" a small voice pleaded. It was so soft that Irene might not have noticed the boy's presence if he hadn't spoken. Her mind was in disarray, and her awareness was scattered.

 

Jihoon, with tears in his eyes, begged Irene. Baekhyun, present in the room, exchanged a frown with Irene, sharing a look of concern.

Baekhyun had turned to Irene for assistance with his godson since she was the only person that came to his mind. Despite his prior dislike for her, her recent, surprisingly kind behavior had softened his perspective. He admitted to himself that Irene wasn't a bad person, just someone with attitude. He couldn't pinpoint the reason for his initial strong dislike, except for the fact that, in his eyes, no one could replace Jaein. Jihoon, however, had grown fond of Irene surprisingly quickly—a significant feat, given the difficulty he shared with his father in getting along with people.

 

"Why so?" Irene asked, taking a seat beside the boy and gently wiping away his fresh tears.

"They got into a big fight... and then..." Jihoon hiccupped. "I just don't like grandma anymore... she's a bad person..." Another hiccup followed, and his sobs intensified as he recalled the painful memories.

 

The child's crying tugged at the hearts of the adults in the room. Both Irene and Baekhyun were well aware of Sehun's mother's nature, and they didn't need much explanation to understand the situation. Baekhyun sat beside Jihoon, speaking softly to comfort the boy.

 

"Alright, then we won't tell her, but you must go home with Aunty Irene, okay? Tomorrow, you can come back here again," Baekhyun reassured Jihoon. Obediently, Jihoon nodded, moving from his chair onto Irene's lap, seeking comfort. Irene was surprised by the sudden display of affection from the boy, realizing that her recent attention to him during Sehun's illness and busy schedule had made a positive impact.

"Call me if there's any updates.." Baekhyun hummed in return. Everyone is exhausted, simply has no words to spare anymore. 

Irene stands up with Jihoon in his arms. The boys needs motherly love at the moment. What else can she do, she doesn't know how to act like a good mother, but she is sure she can at least keep Jihoon calm and safe. Irene bowed a bit before leaving Baekhyun alone in the hallway.

She opened the car door and placed Jihoon in the shotgun seat before circling the car to her own seat.

"Aunty... did you tell Mummy already?" The engine roared to life, and Irene glanced at Jihoon.

"Not yet, but Uncle Baek will tell her soon, okay?" Irene assured him. Baekhyun had already informed her about your reluctance to be involved with Sehun. Irene found your actions puzzling; it was evident that you cared deeply for Sehun.

She wondered if it had anything to do with the weak threat she made two months ago, a threat she thought you could easily dismiss. Shaking her head to dispel these thoughts, she focused on driving home, trying to push aside any unnecessary speculation.


....

 

White lights, white curtains, white walls. Sehun slowly awoke, feeling the heaviness in his head and weakness in his legs. As he attempted to leave the bed, he noticed the IV fluid attached to his hand, realizing he was once again hospitalized. Confusion clouded his mind, wondering why he was here again.

No one was in the room, prompting him to leave the bed and take small steps to the door, eager to understand what was happening.

 

"How could you not have noticed it earlier?!" Baekhyun's angry voice resonated through the conversation. Sehun's hand gripped the doorknob as he overheard their discussion.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Byun. At that time, the CT scans didn't show any signs of hemorrhage. It could be the overtime effects. Don't worry; it's not too late to treat it yet." Baekhyun, appearing furious on the outside, was actually scared, facing the possibility of losing his childhood friend and unsure of what to do.

"What now?" Baekhyun demanded.

 

The doctor stuttered, aware that the person in front of him held significant influence. Mishandling the situation could jeopardize his entire career. "Well, he needs an operation to alleviate the swelling and stop the bleeding. If it's not done soon, more critical consequences will arise and could be fatal. However, even after the operation, he still has only a 40-60% chance of survival."

Sehun leaned against the door, sliding down to the floor. The pain from the glass breaking the other day still stung, but now another, more profound pain enveloped him. He couldn't help but mentally laugh at the pathetic turn his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter