Chapter 11 - Closer

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Good day, readers, I wanna try something else, can you guys go and get a song prepared while reading this chapter, or you may listen it at repeat while reading this.

I bet most of you already heard of this song, if you are a revelluv.

"Time to love - Red Velvet" The coloured word would be the lyrics. 

Enjoy.

 

"Do I look good?" Seulgi asked her girlfriend for the hundredth time.

 

"Yes, you look absolutely beautiful." Joy cooed for the hundredth time.

 

"You aren't even looking at me while you say that." Seulgi complained.

 

Joy sighed at the complaint. She, then, complied to the comment, turned around to have a proper look at her girlfriend.

 

Her lover was wearing a knee-length light blue floral one-piece dress, without sleeves. It was bought two days ago, which her bear dragged her to the shopping mall, much to her dismay. Seriously, Seulgi looked stunning in that dress (since when Seulgi didn't, but Joy wouldn't want to boost her girlfriend's ego), not to mention the light make-up she was wearing now.

 

It was as if she was a bear angel fell from heaven, and there was a bear angel in the heaven, right? Heaven should be very accepting to any kind of creature. Wait, didn't it mean there would be cockroach angel too?

 

Joy quickly ignored her rambling mind and the shiver traveling down her spine when she thought the picture of a cockroach with those angelic feathery wings, instead of the usual ugly wing it had, and there was glory around Joy's most hated creature in the world.

 

She dimissed the very disturbing figure and flickered down her gaze to her lover's neck.

 

There was the necklace, bought by Joy based on Hayoung's 'fashion sense', hanging around it, further folling off the beauty of her girlfriend.

 

So, Joy couldn't quite grasp her lover's edginess when her lover was so effortlessly gorgeous. (though they were almost late, because Seulgi wasted too much time in the make up.)

 

"I think my girlfriend always looks beautiful, and I don't understand why is she being nervous now. We're just meeting my family." Joy smiled contently and her eyes was full of honey, pinching her girlfriend's nose affectionately.

 

Seulgi yelped and swatted away her girlfriend's hand. "You are ruining the nose's make up." She quickly took out a mirror and checked the make up. 

 

Luckily, it was still fine. She let out a sigh of relief, then pouted with her lips slightly puckering out.

 

Joy laughed at her bear angel who was overreacting. She smirked as she got an idea, hoping it would do the magic to diffuse the anxiety. 

 

She, then, leaned toward Seulgi, giving her girlfriend a smooch in the lips, sealing the anxiety away for good.

 

Of course, the magic worked.

 

Seulgi was embarrassed by the sudden showing of affection, heat started to seep through her cheek despite the temperature was already approaching single digit as it was almost the end of the fall season. Seulgi's eyes darted around to check their surrounding, hoping there was no one seeing them doing this.

 

Joy smiled at her flustered girlfriend, still finding it adorable after dating this girl for less than two years. Her hand s through her girlfriend's waist and stayed at her girlfriend's back, slightly pushed Seulgi to walk, said with a tone full of affection.

 

"Let's meet my family, girlfriend."

 

Seulgi could only comply to her girlfriend's instruction. She couldn't keep her head up, especially when her cheek was so worryingly red like a tomato.

 

She really shouldn't apply the blusher just now.

 

 

"I thought for a long time whether should I write this to you, but then I think of how I always embarrass myself in front of you, how I easily shed tears in front of you, then I figured I should just do this. You asked why did I treat you differently, I don't even have the answer myself, I seriously don't know why I always share my stuffs to you. I sorta just do it, you know. Maybe it's because you came out to me first, that's why I am being this truthful to you. Whenever I am stressed, mad or sad, you are just there for me, you don't talk much, just quietly listen to me ranting, and give me advices. Just your mere presence comforts me. I'm sorry that I confused you with my actions, I would be more conscious about it."

 

It was weird for Joohyun to read the letter again, there were too many emotions to be described distinctly, one emotions overlapping with one another.

 

The joy bubbled in her heart. The fact Seungwan actually kept it, and Seungwan even separately put it at different place. It showed that Seungwan worshipped it more than the other letters.

 

She tried to, also, brush away the dread to recall the subsequence after she gave Seungwan this letter.

 

What went down after that stoked a knife into Joohyun's heart.

 

And, no matter how hard Joohyun tried to heal the wound.

 

The wound never stopped bleeding.

 

Because the knife never disappeared.

 

Because the knife was never removed.

 

All these years, Joohyun just pretended there was no knife stabbing in her heart.

 

It was Joohyun's last day to study in highschool, though there was some time till her graduation ceremony. Of course, Seungwan being playful as always, she spent the day to celebrate Joohyun's last day like her own. Four of them were talking at Joohyun's uncle's place, it was their last stop for the day, as they were exhausted by the planning of the upcoming graduation trip. They decided to Joohyun's place to relax as it was their routine, more cosy and comfortable.

 

The place was their second house.

 

Joohyun's uncles came back from working, seeing Seungwan, Joy and Seulgi, waving their hand while taking off their shoes at the door. They greeted the uncles with a bow on the head.

 

"You guys are here." The uncles walked into the living room and settled their stuffs on the table.

 

"Make yourself at home." They said it before they walked into their room to freshen up.

 

"I should go. I have plan for tomorrow." Joy stood up and Seulgi followed suit of course.

 

Seungwan also stood up even though the night was still young for Seungwan.

 

"You can stay, Seulgi and I could go first." Joy suggested, knowing Seungwan wanted to spend more time with Joohyun.

 

"Nah, you guys are leaving, I should leave too."

 

"You guys can stay overnight if you guys want. Isn't it last day today?" The uncles came out from their room, seeing them leaving.

 

"It's okay, uncle. I'll pass." Seungwan politely rejected with a warm smile.

 

"How was the last day? Last day having class with Joohyun."  One of the uncles asked while pouring himself a glass of water.

 

"Oh, I couldn't wait to not see her anymore." Seungwan mocked a celebratory gesture.

 

The uncle laughed at Seungwan's answer. Joohyun rolled her eyes and slapped her in the arm, pushing Seungwan out to the door. There was still distance between them while Joohyun used her arm to push Seungwan.

 

"Bye, uncles!" Seungwan, quickly reacted to turn around, waving her hand to bid her goodbye to uncles.

 

When Seungwan turned back toward the door, suddenly Joohyun was right behind Seungwan's back. Seungwan could feel Joohyun's head near her neck, Joohyun's breath on her neck.

 

"What---?" Seungwan puzzledly turned to ask Joohyun, thought she might left her backpack ped. 

 

"Nothing." Joohyun was zipping Seungwan's backpack, continued to push Seungwan out to the door.

 

Later back in home, Joohyun texted Seungwan:

"Joohyunnie: I wrote you a letter. It's in the bag."

 

"Seungwan: WHAT?! I will go and read it now."

 

Joohyun was dying to know Seungwan's reaction to her letter, though she already knew Seungwan's reaction back then.

 

But, this time, it was different.

 

Wendy was absolutely clueless of their vague friendship back then, though she already recalled parts of it now, still she didn't know the truth.

 

Oh my god, the truth.

 

It felt like she was confessing to Seungwan again. Though she didn't explicitly express how she felt toward Seungwan.

 

At that time, she was confused about her own feelings too.

 

But now, she was certain about her feelings toward Seungwan.

 

The cage she used to captive her heart for the past few years was broken open once again.

 

All the buried feeling was, once again, being digged out.

 

The thumping inside her heart resonated in her ear. The sweats dripping on her forehead, and the fear of Seungwan's rejection.

 

She wanted to laugh at herself, how the universe pulled a joke on her, the character had reversed.

 

The rejection she gave to Seungwan when Seungwan firstly confessed.

 

Now, it was her karma to wait Seungwan's answer. She gulped to swallow the nodule forming in , though was too dry, as a result of the stress.

 

She, then, folded the letter back, putting it back, wanting to keep her cool to act normal. As she was sitting on the bed, protuding her knee along the bedside, her back was partially facing Seungwan's back, hoping Seungwan was too busy drying her hair, not noticing the roller coaster that just occured within her mind.

 

"Is that written by you?"

 

But, Wendy was there to observe from the very beginning since Irene opened the letter with quivering hands till she put it back into the pencil case. She could just roughly steal a glance on Irene's expression as Irene's back blocked the view.

 

But, it was brutally obvious for Wendy to not notice how the atmosphere shifted since Joohyun discovered the letter.

 

It was loudly silent.

 

Joohyun widened her eyes at the question, couldn't bring herself to look at Seungwan.

 

Wendy settled the hairdryer on the table as she finished drying her hair. Then, she turned around, wanting to see Joohyun face to face but Joohyun's back was still facing her.

 

"To me?"

 

Joohyun gulped at the question. She stiffly turned around to meet Seungwan's gaze.

 

"To tell me how you felt about us?"

 

Joohyu wasn't ready to lose Seungwan again.

 

A/N: You guys may play it now. "Time to love- red velvet.'

 

"H-hi, uncle and aunt, I am S-seulgi." Seulgi gave a formal bow to Joy's parents and stuttered her words out.

 

"So, you are Seulgi. Joy had told us so much about you." The smile on her future mother-in-law was radiantly kind, stretching out to hold Seulgi's hand.

 

This heart-warming gesture relaxed the nervous bear, nodded her thank with her beautiful eye-smile. "She told me a lot about you guys too." Though, the blush on her face was still quite apparent.

 

Joy's dad walked toward them, and patted Seulgi's shoulder."Let's go inside the restaurant, it's cold inside. You guys must be freezing, and beautiful dress, by the way." The tone of her future father-in-law was very fatherly and amiable.

 

Seulgi glanced toward her girlfriend who was there to, watch the whole exchange, with the love overflowing from her eyes.

 

아득하게 멀었던 일

adeukage meoreotteon il

It used to feel so faraway


그랬던 내 옆에 니가 서있어

geuraetteon nae yeope niga seoisseo

But now, you’re next to me

 

'See? They love you because I love you."

 

Seulgi flashed her affectionate smile toward her girlfriend, crinkled her eyes and nose.

 

Before Joy got lost into her girlfriend's eyes, her father-in-law dragged them into restaurant.

 

"Joy said you love barbecue, so we find this famous restaurant, they have the best pork belly. Just order whatever you want." Mr. Park said enthusiastically when they settled at the table of four in the middle of the restaurant.

 

"Halo, who is the daughter now?" Joy complained as there was no one paying attention to her ever since they entered the restaurant. Her mother was busy asking Seulgi about her study and family.

 

"Shut your mouth. Don't make Seulgi uncomfortable." Mrs Park scolded and slapped her daughter in the arm.

 

"Ah, mum. It hurts." Joy rubbed her arm, pouted like a beaten puppy.

 

"Auntie, I am more than comfortable." Seulgi stifled her chuckle and quickly reached out to rub her girlfriend's arm too.

 

"They chose you over me." Joy lied her head on Seulgi's shoulder, entangling her arm around Seulgi's arm and whined like a baby.

 

Seulgi didn't expect her girlfriend to do it in front of the parents. Her brain went malfunctioned, not knowing what to react.

 

The blush which was finally dissipated, came striking back to her face and she was stoned at the seat.

 

Joy's parents laughed at Seulgi's stiffness, "Joy, stop teasing your girlfriend, her face is like a tomato now."

 

Joy smirked at her power over her girlfriend, decided to obey her parents.

 

She straightened her back, and started to scan through the menu, as if she didn't just cause a scene.

 

 

"I wrote it after you confessed to me." Joohyun, finally, spoke out after sharing few minutes of dead silence and staring showdown.

 

"Joohyun, can we have dinner tonight? I have something to tell you."

 

"Sure. Are Seulgi and Joy joining us. Or, it's just the two of us?"

 

"Ya, just the two of us."

 

Joohyun never saw Seungwan being this nervous around her, Seungwan's eyes darted around, never once meeting her in the eyes. She was almost whispering, lower than her usual speaking volume.

 

"What is it? Something serious? You are scaring me." Joohyun started to overthink, crinkling her eyebrows together, stretching out to hold Seungwan's hand. Though, she relaxed right away when Seungwan returned the grip too.

 

Seungwan's hold was always comforting, acting as tranquilizer to dissipate her insecurity.

 

Seungwan squeezed a smile, finally meeting Joohyun's eyes. The smile wasn't hollow but it was a tint of apprehensive.

 

"You will know it tonight."

 

They were having dinner in a restaurant near to their highschool. Even though Seungwan was still initiating conversation, Joohyun noticed Seungwan wasn't as lively as usual. She didn't wanna force Seungwan to share her worry with her, but she was bothered by the fact that something was bothering Seungwan.

 

After they finished the dinner, Seungwan walked Joohyun back home.

 

"What is the thing you wanna tell me about?" Joohyun tried to sound cheerful.

 

"I-I.." Seungwan never stuttered before.

 

Joohyun waited patiently to let Seungwan constructed her sentence.

 

"W-we a-are close, like really close, we share almost everything to each other, we never hide things from each other right?"

 

"Ya, we are." Joohyun nodded her head within seconds, answered without a doubt.

 

"There is something I wanna tell you."

 

Joohyun waited and waited, Seungwan was stuttering, couldn't find herself to speak out her mind.

 

"I....ugh.... why is it so hard?"

 

Joohyun thought Seungwan had never behaved like this. how she couldn't bring herself to construct a proper sentence, and how Seungwan couldn't find the right word to say.

 

It slowly came to Joohyun, Joohyun widened her eyes at her realization. She turned to Seungwan to voice out her suspicion, wishing for the impossible, hoping she might

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter