Chapter 9 - Sparks

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Words could be tricky, it could be sweet as a lollipop, making people craved for more, as they couldn't get enough of it.

 

It could be as noxious like a dagger, hurt people without leaving a trace, but it would left a scar in the person's heart forever.

 

But, the words came from Irene's mouth just now somehow increased Wendy's heart rate, as if the world freezed in time. She took a side glance to Irene, Irene was looking at her while saying that. The determination reflected in Irene's eyes dusted Wendy's face into pink, luckily it was unclear to be seen in the dark. Wendy quickly shifted her focus back to the road, tried not be indulged in Irene's words. However, the impact was already made into Wendy's heart.

 

So, this is how it felt like to be those lovers written in all those sappy movies. The first time, Wendy didn't know what to say, she always found the words came to her very easily. Irene made Wendy speechless, now that was something else. Wendy wasn't sure what to react, what response she should give to Irene.

 

Wendy was sure of one thing, this moment, the very sentence said by Irene, she wouldn't forget. She would carry this forever with her. She would make sure she memorized the determined look in Irene's eyes, the wistful smile wore by Irene and the softness reflected in Irene's tone.

 

Wendy pulled up in front of the main entrance of Irene's dorm. She didn't want Irene to leave the car, didn't want the night to end. And, she blamed it to the nostalgia was always stronger during late night, not because she wanted to spend time with Irene nor did she want to know Irene more. 

 

"Let me think again, Seungwan."

 

"I'll wait for your answer, Joohyun."

 

Wendy blinked at the flashback, she wondered about what was Joohyun's answer referring to.

 

Joohyun unbuckled the seatbelt, thanking Seungwan for sending her home. She called Seungwan to text her once she reached home which Seungwan replied with a nod. Before she opened the door, she hesitantly turned around and looked at Seungwan one more time.

 

"Make sure you didn't leave anything."

 

Joohyun didn't know what came to her, she lunged forward, pressing her lips on Seungwan's face. Her cheeks was instantly flushed, flicking down her gaze to the gear lever to avoid meeting Seungwan's eyes. She whispered, "..Good night, Seungwan."

 

She, then, quickly opened the car door, and bolted through the entrance. She quickly took a left turn, not waiting for the lift to arrive, climbing up the stairs back to her room.

 

Wendy was stunned for minutes, with her eyes almost bulging out, wide opened. She slowly coming back to the senses, using her finger to touch the cheek where was just kissed by Irene.

 

It was a peck, she could still feel Irene's lips ghosting on her cheek. Wendy, then smiled fondly, still caressing her cheek with her finger to savour the kiss and started the car.

 

After Joohyun reached fourth floor where her dorm was located, she stood in front of her dorm, struggling to take her keys out of her bags as her hands couldn't stop trembling, as a side effect of her adrenaline. She breathed in and out to calm herself down, then she could only open the door with her key.

 

She collapsed on her bed once she closed the door. She buried her head into her pillow, and wanted to screamed at her boldness. Joohyun blamed it to the alcohol and late night lowered her wall. She flinched as her phone rang. She creased her eyebrows, her mind ran through a list of people would call her in the middle of the night, slipped her hand into her bag to retrieve her phone.

 

She looked at her phone, almost threw her phone away, it was Seungwan's call.

 

Her peck on Seungwan's face replayed itself on her mind. The heat on her cheek was worsened by the memory, This caused sweats to form on her forehead and more blushes were added to her already reddened cheek.

 

She used her jittery fingers to swipe right, bringing the phone to her ears, "... H-halo?"

 

"I reached home." Seungwan's voice came through.

 

"O-okay." Joohyun wasn't sure why Seungwan called her, when she could just text her to let her know.

 

"....." There was no reply from Seungwan.

 

"....Seungwan?" Joohyun checked her phone to see whether Seungwan ended the call, but the call wasnt ended.

 

"Irene?"

 

Joohyun quickly brought her phone back to her ear.

 

"Y-yes?" Joohyun couldn't contain the quiver in her voice.

 

"You go to shower now and then go to sleep, don't think too much, okay?" Seungwan's assurance came through the phone, her voice was full of fondness.

 

Joohyun nodded her head too vigorously to the phone, realising she wasn't talking to Seungwan in person, "O-okay."

 

"Good night, Joohyun."

 

"G-good night." Joohyun couldn't hide her smile when Seungwan just called Joohyun for the first time after two years. The feeling was too surreal and indescribable.

 

Seungwan then ended the call, Joohyun clucked her phone with her hand, she kept this position for minutes, then only thought of Seungwan's reminder to bath. She, then, stood up and  dragged her body to the bathroom.

 

Wendy pulled up at the driveway, seeing there was no light in her house. Of course, her family would be sleeping, it was already 12.30am. She switched off the engine, and walked to the door. She unlocked the door and entered, hung the car key on the wall. She sat on the couch, after switching on the night light. She thought of the kiss again, automatically bringing her hand to caress the place again,  smiled at the memory. She didn't mind to replay that moment forever. She had this -eating smile on her face, like she was a king of the world or queen of the world or whatever. Now, she knew the esctasy of owning the whole world.

 

She thought of calling Irene, she wasn't sure why. She was pretty sure that girl might be totally freaking out right now, she thought she should assure Irene.

 

So, she took her phone out, clicking on Irene's name.

 

Wendy waited for few rings, she could picture Irene's expression when she picked out Wendy's phone, chuckled to herself at the sight of Irene.

 

"....H-halo?"

 

 Irene's voice was literally quivering, Wendy found it very cute.

 

"I reached home." Wendy said, waiting for Irene's reply.

 

"O-okay."

 

Wendy was actually waiting Irene to say something about the kiss, wanted to about it. Or at least they need to talk about it. Since there was no reply, Wendy figured Irene must be disoriented to talk about anything. So, she thought her purpose of calling of Irene.

 

"Irene?"

 

"Y-yes?"

 

Irene replied immediately, Wendy heard a slight hopefulness in Irene's voice, as if wanting Wendy to ask about the kiss.

 

""You go to shower now and then go to sleep, don't think too much, okay?"

 

Wendy didn't know what came over her when she was saying this, she just knew Irene was too disoriented to think of anything, and she wanted Irene to stop thinking about kiss and get some rest. They would talk about it later.

 

¹Joohyun had been walking back and forth outside the exam hall, it was their final exam, even though Joohyun had prepared herself. Joohyun still couldn't help but being anxious. Seungwan was there too as they were needed to help with the table arrangement in the exam hall.

 

"Joohyun, look at me." Seungwan stopped Joohyun and held her shoulder.

 

Joohyun flicked up her gaze to meet Seungwan's eyes, her eyes full of anxiousness, fear of the possibility of screwing up the exam later.

 

"You give it all in the exam later, you left the rest to the universe." Seungwan cupped Joohyun's face with one hand, the other hand holding and caressing Joohyun's fist, loosening the tightening drip.

 

Joohyun, finally, let out the breath she had been holding. Seungwan's words acted as an anchor, calming Joohyun's nerve down.

 

Joohyun nodded to Seungwan's words, and gathered her stationery and walked into the exam hall.

 

Wendy, then ended their call with good night, she walked back to her room to prepare herself to bed.

 

Joohyun was lying on her bed, overwhelmed. The shower did help to calm Joohyun's racing mind. However, as soon as she lied on the bed, the noise inside her head started to blame her for kissing Seungwan, thinking it would sabotage their relationship now.

 

Joohyun thought of the hurt she caused Seungwan and now Seungwan finally moved on from her, and then she came back to mingle the peace Seungwan had. Her phone buzzed:

 

"12.30am

Seungwannie: stop overthinking, and go to sleep."

 

She widened her eyes at the messages, she looked around to make sure she was alone in her dorm. She chose to live alone, two years of living with housemate wasn't suffocating but she preferred to have some privacy for herself. She wasn't sure what to reply, and she regretted to open the message immediately after Seungwan sent it, now Seungwan knew she was still awake.

 

A message came again:

"12.32am

Seungwannie: Joohyun, don't worry about the kiss. It was nothing."

 

Now, Joohyun couldn't sleep because of the 'nothing' that Seungwan typed nothing as in she liked the kiss, or she hated the kiss or she didn't want the kiss to complicate their friendship. With all these speculations running wild in Joohyun's head, Seungwan sent a message as if she was a psychic.

 

"12.33am

Seungwannie: I don't mind it at all. Good night, Joohyun."

 

Joohyun finally let out a sigh of relief when she saw the last message and then Seungwan went offline. She was holding her breath while receiving Seungwan's consecutive message. She switched off her lamp and squinted her eyes shut to force herself to sleep.

 

 

"When did you two reach home last night?" Joy asked Wendy who was munching her sandwish and Seulgi with the sick expression who was still suffered from last night's hangover.

 

Wendy's mum had a working trip and left Wendy with the car but she was responsible for Yerim's transportation. After sending Yerim to the school, she asked Joy and Seulgi for breakfast.

 

"12 something." Wendy didn't wanna tell them about the kiss, she was certain Irene didn't want people to know, decided to let Irene be the one who did the talking about it.

 

"That's fast, I thought you guys will talk till late night." Joy teased with a smirk on her face.

 

"It was already late night, I need to send Yerim today." Wendy rolled her eyes, knowing J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter