Chapter 4 - Flashbacks

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy was walking in a crowd, but technically she was pushed along with the walking crowd. She wanted to turn around to walk in a direction opposing to the crowd to leave the crowd but she was stuck there. She had no choice but to follow. And then, she saw Seulgi and Joy talking to someone, Wendy couldn't recognise the person's face, they seemed to be close. They were busy conversing, they didn't notice Wendy's presence. The moment Wendy noticed them, Wendy panicked and wanted to turn around, trying to create some distance between them. Her leg was suddenly injured, she started wobbling as she used her left leg to support her body So, she quickly squatted down to avoid them seeing her. The crowd suddenly vanished, she was currently hiding behind a table. They were now standing beside a column, completely unaware of Wendy's presence. She was looking a way to leave without them noticing her. She turned to her right and saw a staircase leading down to god knows where. With her injured leg, she couldn't walk down the staircase. She was contemplating how to save herself from the confrontation, suddenly, there was someone calling her name.

 

"Seungwan... Seungwan...." Mrs Kim tapped her.

 

Wendy groggily mumbled, "What time is it, mum?"

 

"It's already 8am, you missed your alarm. I was wondering why didn't you come out for breakfast. We need to leave now, the breakfast is on the table." Mrs Kim stood up from Wendy's bed and left the room.

 

Wendy rubbed away the grogginess from her eyes, checking her phone, noticing two notifications:

 

"11.30pm: 1 missed call from Irene."

 

"1am:

Co-captain: Breakfast later?

 

She texted Irene first, and then replied to Joy.

 

"8:05am

Seungwannie: You called me last night?"

 

"8:06am

Son Wendy: My mum cooked me breakfast, meet you at 9.30am in the diner?"

 

Wendy woke up from her bed, walked to bathroom to wash herself up. While she was brushing her teeth, she looked into her reflection in the mirror, recalling the dream she had. Who was the person Seulgi and Joy were talking to? Why did Wendy panick when she saw them? Thinking about the dream gave Wendy a headache, so she shut her eyes to stop her brain from wiring again.

 

She went downstair, bringing along her phone to have her breakfast on the table. Yerim usually followed Mrs Kim's car to school. Wendy was usually alone in the morning. Mr Kim was currently at oversea for his attachment, he wouldn't be back until next week. She switched on the music from her phone, while she was eating her breakfast. A message came:

 

"8.30am

Irene: Just wanna ask you to join me for breakfast this morning."

 

Irene's phone buzzed while she was waiting at the bus stop near her dorm:

"8.31am

Seungwannie: oops, sorry I fell alseep when you called me last night and I'm eating now. My mum cooked me breakfast."

 

The bus came, while the crowd was lining up to get up the bus, Irene wanted to type 'I figured, you used to sleep early.' In fact, she sent this:

 

"8.33am

Irene: I figured."

 

Irene had to stop herself to reminiscing the past. She wasn't expecting any reply from Wendy as Irene technically ended the conversation. Yet, 'Typing....' appeared on her chatbox.

 

"8.33am

Seungwannie: Don't tell me you are skipping breakfast."

 

"8.34am

Irene: I will grab somthing when I walk to my class."

 

"8.35am

Seungwannie: Send me picture as a prove after you buy it."

 

Irene couldn't help but chuckled at the message. She found a seat and sat down.

 

Wendy finished her breakfast and took her empty plate to the basin. While she was washing, she received a message from Joy.

"8.40am

Co-captain: Ok, see you later."

 

Wendy changed herself into a light blue hoodie and black tight jeans as it was getting cooler. She slid her backpack on her shoulder, made sure she got everything she needed for all of the lesson today. Plucking the earphones into her ears, she wore socks and shoes while sitting on the flood before she left the house. She loved walking to her college in the breeze, especially with her music blasting in her earphone. It was calming, there might be people jogging along the road, cycling to their workplace. Call her a nerd, it was like she was a character in a movie, and the music she was listening to was her background music. The music she listened, it changed over time and season, depends on her moods.

 

She reached the diner, receiving a picture from Irene, her hand holding a kimbap. She replied Irene before she opened the door and entered the diner:

 

"9.25am

Seungwannie: I hope you didn't find the picture from Internet."

 

Irene rolled her eyes, continued to eat her kimbap while walking to her class.

 

Wendy entered the diner, searching for Joy. There she was, waving her hand to get Wendy's attention. Wendy waved and walked toward Joy's table.

 

"How long have you been waiting?" Wendy settled her backpack down before sitting down.

 

"Just a while. I already ordered since you had your breakfast."

 

"I have something to ask you." Wendy didn't want to beat around the bush.

 

"Straight away to the main point, aren't we?" Joy smirked.

 

"Why did you guys hide Irene from me?"

 

"Honestly, we didn't, whether you believe it or not. It just never crossed my mind to tell you about Irene unnie, since she was already at Japan. And you acted like you don't really wanna know your past."

 

"Irene and I, were more than friends, right?"

 

"I don't know your definition of that, you guys were inseparable. Wherever you went, she followed, and you too. She was more lively when you were around. And you were too."

 

"Then, what happened?" Wendy wasn't satisfied by Joy's answer, too concise and summarized, but it would be sufficient for now.

 

"Honestly, we had no idea what happened to you guys. You guys suddenly avoided each other for two weeks, and then you guys were back to normal again. You guys were fine, we even went to trip together. Not until Irene unnie officially graduated from highschool, you guys really stopped talking. You two tried so hard to act normal in front of us, but we weren't stupid, we could feel the awkwardness from you two. We wanted to help, but you two kept denying to have any problem, and then Irene was off to Japan for two years. Then, you had that accident, and the rest, you already knew."

 

Wendy knew Joy was speaking the truth, knowing Joy would never lie to her. The information seemed to be too much for Wendy to handle, she hissed in pain while supporting her head with her hand. The headache was getting stronger. She shook her head to clear her vision.

 

Joy was quick to react, "Are you ok?"

 

Wendy assured Joy, "It's just headache, too much information for me to process," while rubbing her temple.

 

"What did Irene unnie tell you?" Joy prompted.

 

When Wendy was about to tell Joy, Joy's phone was ringing, it was Seulgi.

 

"Sorry," Joy apologized before answering the call.

 

The headache wasn't subsiding no matter how Wendy massaged her temple. All she knew was her head was getting heavier, even though she tried to keep herself alert. She slowly closed her eyes and let the blackness consumed her.

 

When she woke up, she was wearing the same green gown that she wore two years ago, lying in a ward in a hospital. Only one thing was different, the woman waiting her to wake up wasn't her mother. There were three women; Seulgi, Joy and Irene.

 

Wendy's throat was too dry but she managed to squeeze her question out: "What happened?"

 

Irene quickly poured a glass of water for Wendy to drink, Wendy thanked her and gulped down the water.

 

"You fainted while I was answering Seulgi's call." Joy answered.

 

"Why is Irene here?"

 

"I called her, she rushed here right away."

 

Seulgi was unusually quiet, and let Joy did all the talking. Seulgi would probably overreact by bombarding Wendy tons of questions. However, she never once looked Wendy in the eyes, finding the floor rather amusing. Obviously, she was avoiding to have eye contact with Wendy, or anyone in the room.

 

"Did you guys tell my mum about this?"

 

"Of course, but we have the doctor to assure she doesn't need to rush here." Joy was still the one who answered.

 

"and Yerim? What did doctor say?"

 

"I'll go and grab something for you guys." Seulgi finally spoke but she left immediately after saying this.

 

"What's wrong with her?" Wendy gestured at the closed door and turned to Joy.

 

"I'll go and help her." Irene stood up and left too, thinking it was best to give Wendy and Joy privacy.

 

Now, Wendy and Joy were left alone again, like in the diner. Wendy sighed and lied back down to the bed.

 

"No, we couldn't reach Yerim, she must be having class. And, Seulgi got something to tell you, but she wasn't ready yet, and you needed to promise me not to be too mad at her." Joy walked near the bed and replaced Irene's position.

 

"Can you please call the doctor for me, I just want to ask the doctor myself."

 

Joy nodded and left to find the doctor.

 

The doctor came in with Joy, with case notes on hands.

 

"Doctor, why did I faint?"

 

"Miss Son, so sorry we couldn't answer you that now, but we already did some test and we are still waiting for the result. Since you are awake, do you mind if we ask you several questions?"

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter