Chapter 40 - Never ready

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun took a deep breath as she checked herself again on the mirror, the 34th time at the short span of 15 minutes, okay.

 

The number, of course, wasn't that much, but she was approaching it if she kept doing that.

 

Seohyun sighed, walked near to her anxious childhood friend, putting her palm on the shoulder, calling out for the restless friend's attention. "Stop fidgeting." Seohyun wanted to add "maybe she wanted to see you." Yet she didn't want to give false hope to her friend.

 

They all weren't sure how Seungwan would react to this.

 

"I don't think it's a good idea." Joohyun caught her childhood friend's hand on her shoulder, as she spoke up, their eyes locking through the mirror. Her voice full of uncertain, full of quake as she spoke.

 

Joohyun didn't think she could handle how would Seungwan react.

 

"Of course she knew you'll be there. You're close to the nine of us. It makes no sense if you're not here with us." Sooyoung stood up, rationally reasoning.

 

"She didn't know I am the one who get you all back together." Joohyun "rationally" reasoned back.

 

"How about we worry about it, later?" Tiffany's helpful suggestion gave the assurance of Joohyun needed, her head nodding as she took a deep breath again but lastly.

 

With the toilet door was opened, the vaguely heard drumbeat was more distinctive.

 

"Hey! There you guys are, I was looking around for you." Jessica walked toward the group, throwing her arm around Sooyoung, snuggling into her tall friend, a custom of her being extra clingy to the other 8. Her eyes locking into Joohyun as she said. "You okay?"

 

Her eyes was nothing but full of warm concern. That's the true skin under the ice cold armor of the queen.

 

Sooyoung affectionately snuggled her chin to the cutie, speaking out for the restless girl. "She'll be."

 

 

"I already got Wendy to attend. So, you must come." Jessica didn't beat around the bush, as she sat down.

 

"Unnie, I don't think.." Joohyun's eyes frantic, her voice unsure.

 

"We have a deal, remember?" Jessica obviously didn't take no as an answer, there came another teasing smile, mirroring the one she flashed to Wendy. "And, I know you must haven't reached out to her."

 

For that, Joohyun couldn't retort.

 

If calling for more than 10 times, which started with several times at that evening, then each time per day after that and then resort to texting Seungwan, if all these didn't count as reaching out.

 

Oh, all was not seen and not replied.

 

Joohyun could bring herself to nod.

 

 

It was really a party. With Hyoyeon and Jessica combining, you can imagine the people they invited.

 

Joohyun wasn't a fan of party, she was kind of being forced to be here, though her main reason was on someone else.

 

Her eyes widened as she saw Seulgi and Joy were dancing on the floor.

 

Started off

A thousand miles of interstate

The sun was setting right in my hands

 

The couple's eyes were on each other, only each other, smiling, chuckling to themselves as if the others weren't there.

 

Were Seungwan and her like this?

 

Her mind ushered her to look for Seungwan, she must have been around here.

 

She had to be.

 

Her eyes searching the familiar silhouette, the blasting music didn't even reach her ear as she excused herself through the crowd.

 

There, she was.

 

Squeezing herself through the crowd like she did.

 

Have you ever been through this, dying to tell that someone about everything? Yet, when the person's in front of you, you just don't know what else to say.

 

Seungwan was so close, yet so far.

 

But, would she reach out?

 

As her feet was glued to the ground, her body stunned, while her mind and her heart were battling each other, not sure which to listen, her eyes didn't leave her, too afraid to to lose sight of her.

 

Staying up

Swore that I would be okay

With compromises made in my head

But I lost my grip

So I let her slip

 

A push from behind causing her to jerking her head back to figure the person out.

 

To see Yoona sunbae standing behind ber, elegant as always, the make up she put made the beauty stood out even more, her fairly white skin glowing. A genuine soothing smile on her face, complimenting her slight rosy lips.

 

Her deer eyes resonating with care, yet saying nothing. Her warm action gave the courage she needed, the nod giving her strength.

 

Go.

 

We had a little love once

But now it's in danger

We got a little lost, babe

But that's human nature

 

Joohyun nodded back, a tiny appreciative smile spread across her face, as her hand stretched out, reaching out to the hand she'd gone accustomed, had been missing, dying to hold.

 

Calling the name that she loved, and hurt.

 

"Seungwan?"

 

 

Wendy didn't know why she came here, her gut knew she would bump into her. Her mind loathed to be here, with bunch of acquaintances which she remembered now. She really wasn't in the mood of socializing, so giving a tight smile, nodding her head, giving overly concise answer was sufficient to prevent anybody from engaging a conversation with her more than 5 minutes.

 

Ya? sounds fun.

Oh my god, is it?

Me? just the same old.

I'll go and get some snacks.

 

Apparently, her body was still more honest then her mind.

 

As she pushed JoyBear couple to the dance floor, ushering themselves to dance first, lying to them she would join them once she got herself a drink.

 

Seeing her two close friends getting lost in their own world, a loving smile split on her face. Feeling herself warmed by the clingy yet not cringey couple.

 

They were just like us.

 

Her mind involuntarily flashed the resonance of them firstly dancing together as the lovely couple.

 

She turned around, not wanting to see her two disgustingly-in-love friends. For once, her body listened to what she ordered, her feet stomped away, excusing herself through the crowd.

 

Run away, away from them.

 

She tried her best to focus at the ear-splitting music, wanting it to be the distraction, fighting against the flashback she had.

 

"Seungwan.."

 

Great, now she was hearing her voice. The flashbacks were more advanced now, losing her mind in it.

 

She ignored for what she had heard, continued to push herself across the crowd.

 

Only to be held back by something, stopping her from running away.

 

She turned around to see that face she'd been dreaming, haunting her in the sleep.

 

Have you ever been dying to meet someone,  running through the countless scenario that may happen, wanting to prepare any appropriate and proper reaction for it? When it actually hap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter