Chapter 20 - Announcement

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Supp, guys. The song will be Jessica Jung- Saturday Night.

 

 

"Take you guys long enough." Joy straightening her body from leaning the car, crossing her arm, throwing a satisfied smile toward the newly formed couple, who still had their hand gripping tightly.

 

The slow-witted bear didn't understand her girlfriend's statement as she was standing beside Joy. She didn't see the linking hand, her face was full of confusion, puzzled at her girlfriend's words.

 

"What are you talking a---" She turned around and saw it.

 

They were holding hand.

 

Like how Joy and Seulgi held each other.

 

Her mind finally registered the situation.

 

The bear widened her eyes, with her lips slowly broadening, it looked like it hurt to smile like that.

 

Then, she let out a squeal.

 

"Ahhhhh, my OTP!!!!!"

 

Joy who was, unfortunately, standing beside the squealing bear jolted up, almost died from heart attack. A curse almost slipped out from , she brought her hands to cover her ears, pitied herself for suffering the sound pollution.

 

"DON'T suddenly shout like that." Joy scolded.

 

"How can I stay calm?!" The excited bear ran past her girlfriend, bolting toward the newly formed couple, tackling them into a bear hug.

 

Wendy coughed at the hard impact and Joohyun yelped out of surprise at the hug.

 

"You are hurting Irene." Wendy was, instinctly, being protective to her girlfriend, the grip on Irene's hand tightened.

 

"I-I'm ok, Seungwan." Joohyun assured Seungwan by returning the grip. Though she couldn't actually breathe, as the bear was squeezing them very tight, as if she didn't want the couple to part each other.

 

Again.

 

They deserved each other.

 

"Finally, you guys." Seulgi finally released the two hostages from her captive, her voice cracked while saying that. She looked at the two with sentimentality.

 

Now it was Seulgi's turn to get emotional, she quickly brought her hand up to wipe her tears away.

 

"Sorry, it's just.... It's been so long. I missed the time when the four of us were together." Seulgi started to reminiscing the past and slowly evoked the nostalgic atmosphere.

 

She missed the four of them, spending time together.

 

So much.

 

Wendy looked at her close friend with an expectant smile, loosening her grip on her girlfriend's hand, using the respective hand to pat the crying bear's head, then engulfed the crying bear into a hug.

 

The hug was supposed to stop the bear from crying.

 

But, it only made the sentimental bear more emotional.

 

Soon, the sobbing turned into bawling.

 

Luckily, the coach and the rest of the team already departed to the restaurant beforehand.

 

Wendy grimaced in disgust as she felt mucus and saliva were pouring out from Seulgi's nostril and mouth. It seeped through her shirt, wetting her new shirt.

 

She just got it from her mother, yesterday.

 

It was a souvenir from her mother's working trip!

 

For god's sake!

 

She dejectedly sighed and still carressed her bawling friend's back.

 

Joohyun was there to watch the monologue of her girlfriend and chuckled at her poor girlfriend.

 

Wendy heard the chuckle, and glanced toward her girlfriend, then, toward the co-captain who was looking them with a lovely smile. The co-captain obviously had no intention to help Wendy with her bawling girlfriend.

 

She eyed to Irene, then eyeing back to Joy who was still standing beside her car, mouthing "Group hug".

 

Joohyun got the message, nodded her head, walking toward Joy and grabbed Joy's wrist, dragging Joy toward Seungwan and Seulgi.

 

"Group Hug!"

 

Joohyun's hand didn't let go of Joy's hand. Joohyun pressed her body against her girlfriend's back, leaning her head toward her girlfriend's nape, firstly patted the crying Seulgi with her free hand then patting her girlfriend's head.

 

Joy complied Joohyun's instruction, wrapped her hand around her girlfriend's shoulder, pressing her lips against her girlfriend's nape, ruffling her girlfriend's hair affectionately.

 

It took a really long time to shut the tear portal of the crying baby. The group of four finally started the car and departed to the destined restaurant. They were already 20 minutes late, and apparently the group already started ordering without them.

 

"So, who asked first?" Joy asked.

 

"Must be Seungwan. She is the dominant one in the relationship." Seulgi couldn't understand why her girlfriend would ask that, throwing a judging glance toward her girlfriend for such weak question.

 

"Did you guys kiss?" Seulgi got all riled up, when she was very proud of herself to think of this brilliant question. She looked at her girlfriend expectantly.

 

"See what I did there?"

 

Joy rolled eyes at her arrogant bear, then shook her head at tthe obliviousness.

 

"Of course, they did."

 

Throwing back the same judgemental expression, mirroring the bear.

 

"What kind of question was that?"

 

As the couple seated at the back were busy bothering each other, Joohyun's face was already reddened up, like she was having a fever.

 

Their first kiss.

 

Joohyun stole a glance toward her girlfriend whose focus was still on the road, though her stoic expression seemed to not affected by one bit from the teasing.

 

But, Joohyun noticed there was a speck of pink appearing in Seungwan's ear and neck. The grip of Seungwan on the steering wheel was also slightly tightened and Seungwan's back was more straightened up than just now.

 

Joohyun smiled at her girlfriend's attempt to act nonchalant in front of others, yet still very perceivable for Joohyun to notice the unusual shyness in her girlfriend.

 

Joohyun, then, stretched out her hand, knowing Seungwan would be fine to control the steering wheel with one hand. She took Seungwan's hand off the steering wheel and held it.

 

Rested their linking hand on the shift gearbox.

 

 

Wendy was surprised at the sudden contact, though her hand immediately relaxed against Irene's touch.

 

She turned her direction toward the co-driver seat, seeing Irene throwing a sweet smile to her like that.

 

It was lucky they didn't crash into the car in front of them.

 

Wendy, then, beamed at her girlfriend's loving gesture, squeezing their linking hand, then shifted her attention back to the road.

 

With their hand still linking together, on the shift gearbox.

 

 

Joy mocked a vomiting noise, as she was stuck there to watch this whole exchange.

 

Ughh. God save her.

 

"You guys are so disgusting."

 

Joohyun was, then, only conscious about her action, but still didn't want to retrieve her hand back. She could only tear her gaze away, enjoying the scenery outside car.

 

Luckily, the sun was setting. The mellow sprinkle from the sunset, somehow, blended with the blush on her face, making it hard to differentiate both.

 

"You guys can do it too. I don't mind." Wendy shrugged while glancing toward Joy from the rearview mirror.

 

"We always get a room while we are doing this. We have the DECENCY to care about others' feelings." Joy's face was still scrunched up in disgust.

 

"I think I deserve to show off while you have been shoving it to my face for more than a year." Wendy didn't back down, reasoning by stating the truth.

 

"Oh, please. I'm pretty sure we didn't do it in front of you." Joy rolled her eyes at Wendy's statement.

 

"Oh, really? Do you want me to remind you one?" Wendy arched up one of her eyebrows, gazing into Joy's eyes through the rearview mirror, challenging Joy.

 

Wendy already had that perfect one in mind, wanting Joy to take the bait.

 

The mirror kiss.

 

Luring the prey into her trap.

 

"And, we'll let Irene to be the judge. If she says it is cringey, then you own me an ice cream."

 

"Her opinion is too biased, to be a judge on this."

 

The prey was too vigilant.

 

"Or, you want to me to ask the team to be judge? But, if I tell them, it will be the death of you two."

 

Wendy knew she had the upper hand, here.

 

Joy being competitive, would definitely go for bigger stake.

 

Either one, Wendy was fine. She was going to win, anyway.

 

"Joy will not do it." The bear couldn't imagine the embarrassment for whatever Seungwan was going to tell the team. She quickly turned to her competitive girlfriend. "Don't do it, Joy."

 

Seulgi couldn't imagine the tease from whole volleyball team.

 

They would never let it go.

 

They would tease them forever.

 

Seulgi gulped down her terror down while begging her competitive girlfriend.

 

But, Joy didn't even bother to look at her girlfriend who was pulling her arm to get her attention.

 

And, the prey followed Wendy into the trap.

 

"Bring it on, Son Seung Wan. Let the team be the judge."

 

Wendy flashed a confident smirk while turning the corner, entering the car park of the restaurant.

 

Joohyun who stayed quiet at the childish bet between the two, she could shook her head at her girlfriend, finding this side of Wendy very amusingly funny.

 

 

"Dude, you guys are so late. We almost finished eating already." Beca scoffed at her three members toward the long overdue, then noticed Joohyun who stood beside Wendy.

 

Beca nodded her head toward Joohyun with a friendly smile.

 

Joohyun mirrored the gesture back to Beca, with a shy smile.

 

"You two saw each other before?" Wendy asked after seeing the exchange.

 

"Oh, she asked for you before the competition." Beca reminded the forgetful Wendy, then waggled her eyebrows at Wendy, with a teasing grin.

 

Joohyun only understood Joy's words just now.

 

Beca saw the exchange and told Joy about it.

 

Joohyun cheek went burning. As she was standing behind Seungwan's back, she lowered her face behind Seungwan's back, using it to shield her flushed cheeks.

 

What a way to embarrass herself in the first meeting with Seungwan's friends.

 

Beca laughed out loud at Joohyun's shyness, saying to Wendy. "So, your type is shy girl. I see." She nodded to herself while saying.

 

"Guys, finally! We have been waiting." Chloe who came out from the toilet with a really tall brunette, wearing a sleeveless and short pant. Joohyun wondered wouldn't it be too cold (revealing) in the cool weather like this, but it was none of her business, anyway.

 

Chloe hugged Wendy, Seulgi and Joy, then noticed Joohyun, totally surprised by a new face. It was a pleasant surprise. Chloe loved meeting new friends, though she might overstep the boundary sometimes. But, she was, overall, a welcoming friend.

 

"Oh, didn't see you there. My name is Chloe." Chloe beamed toward Joohyun, offering a handshake.

 

Joohyun quickly took the hand and shook it back, introducing herself. "Hi, Chloe. I am Irene. Seungwan's...."

 

Joohyun wasn't sure how to introduce herself.

 

Girlfriend? Friend?

 

Wouldn't girlfriend be too fast?

 

But friend didn't kiss each other in the lips.

 

"Cheerleader. She's my cheerleader." Wendy filled the information with her.

 

Though Chloe was a little bewildered out by the unexpected introduction, "Hi, Wendy...."  throwing puzzled look st Wendy. "...'s cheerleader.'

 

Nevertheless, Chloe quickly straightened up her face and flashed a big smile to Joohyun. "Nice to meet you, Irene."

 

Joohyun hoped her face didn't show the frown too plainly, but that didn't mean her heart was dropped, and surrounded by fog of melancholy when Seungwan didn't acknowledge her position.

 

She knew their progress was too fast, they only got back to each other for a month. And then, suddenly, they were dating. Technically, Joohyun didn't really adjust herself into Seungwan's life, they were only spending their time among each other, without the other.

 

Seungwan also didn't meet Joohyun's other friends.

 

Wendy noticed the storm alert bleeping above Joohyun's head, quickly pushing Joohyun's waist to step forward, so they were standing beside each other.

 

"My one and ONLY cheerleader." Wendy flashed a proud smile and flashed theri hands to the group.

 

Chloe, finally got the reference, brightened up at the thoughtful introduction. She, then walked toward her captain, entangling her arm around Beca's wrist, leaning her chin on Beca's shoulder, throwing a loving glance toward Beca, then turned back to the couple. "Irene, and this is Beca. My one and ONLY captain."

 

Beca rolled her eyes at her girlfriend, though she didn't make her effort to detach herself. "Hi, Irene. Nice to meet you." Beca smiled and reached out her hand toward Irene for a handshake too.

 

Joohyun chuckled at the imitation.

 

Her heart mostly soared in pride.

 

Seungwan just confirmed their status.

 

They were dating.

 

Chloe whined. "Why didn't you introduce me?"

 

"Dude, because you just introduced yourself before you introduced me." Beca deadpanned at her girlfriend's behaviour and reasoned logically.

 

"Why can't you be like Wendy?" Chloe started to compare.

 

"Joy, we should do it sometime." Seulgi nudged Joy's wrist, flashing her cute smile to convince her girlfriend.

 

Here it goes....

 

"Dude, I have a badass reputation here." Beca grimaced at her girlfriend.

 

"No, we aren't doing that next time." Joy shook her head vigorously at the cheesiests's introduction she had seen in her life, probably nothing could beat that. The goosebump were swiftly spreading from her head to her toe.

 

The both victim turned simultaneously toward the culprit who caused all these, throwing daggers at the culprit.

 

"Look what the you have done."

 

Wendy gulped her fear down and used Irene's body as a shield, as if she would be dissipated into dust from their glare.

 

"Don't make our guest uncomfortable, you all." Aubrey stood up and introduced herself. "Hi, Irene. I'm Aubrey. That's Stacie, my girlfriend." Aubrey gestured toward the tall brunette stood beside Chloe.

 

Joohyun, then, nodded her head toward Aubrey and to Stacie. Stacie waved her hand and flashed a bright smile. "Pleasure to meet you, Irene. I see why Wendy would want you as her one and only cheerleader." She ended it with the wink.

 

"Stace." Aubrey grimaced at her flirty girlfriend.

 

And then, Seungwan introduced the rest of the members to Joohyun. It wasn't a large group, but there were 13 of them, including Joohyun, Stacie and the coach. There were 10 members in Seungwan's volleyball team. Beca as the captain, Joy as the co-captain.

 

They, then, settled down to a larger table. With all the couple sitting beside each other. On Joohyun's right was Seungwan. She was chatting with Aubrey who sat opposite, still discussing the game plan they used today. Though they won, but the two, being perfectionist, concluded they could improve the tactic or add some training to the team. And, both of them were just a member.

 

Chloe sat beside Joohyun. Thankfully, Chloe was a genuine speaker, she did all the talking. Joohyun was always a good listener as she always needed time to warm up herself to strangers.

 

But, they were not stranger.

 

They were Seungwan's friends.

 

Maybe, that's why she felt this instant comfort with them.

 

She was fitting into Seungwan's world.

 

Seungwan's second family for the past two years.

 

Who took care of Seungwan for the past two years.

 

She always wanted to have the chance to meet all of them.

 

She learnt that Chloe was also 3 years older than Beca, which made them friends with same age. They knew each other through an Acapella group in highschool. They were winner of a national championship for three consecutive years. Beca had feelings toward Chloe, but she thought it was a friendly fondness. Then, she chose to date a guy. Beca thought maybe the fondness toward Chloe would fade away after she dated the guy. Though, they broke up after 1 year of dating. Then, only Beca acknowledged except Chloe, she would never had the same feeling toward anybody.

 

So, she told Chloe how she actually felt in their last performance as a group. And, they got together ever since. Chloe even told Irene that Beca is a extreme softie. Though, Joohyun knew Beca would only be a softie in front of Chloe.

 

The one which was only reserved to Chloe.

 

Like Seungwan had one in front of her.

 

Like Joy had one in front of Seulgi.

 

Joohyun thought to herself, their situation was almost similar, just that Chloe never confessed. She just patiently waited Beca to come around and realized her feelings toward Chloe.

 

And, Joohyun never dated a guy to realize her feelings toward Seungwan.

 

She felt fascinated by someone had the similar experience as her. She thought maybe Chloe might understand how she felt and Chloe might even give some good advice to her.

 

Only if Joohyun was brave to share their past to others.

 

And, Joohyun thought Seungwan should be the first one to know.

 

Beca grumbled out of frustration at Chloe's revelation. "Irene, don't listen to what she said. I'm a total badass."

 

Stacie who sat opposite quickly chimed in. "Is it? I remember someone cried when Chloe threw her a surprise party."

 

Beca grimaced at the reminder of her embarrassing past. "Stacie, I don't need you here."

 

Joy, then, started to join into the fight. "I remember someone recorded it, whose phone is it at?"

 

"No one is showing Irene that video, do you guys hear me? I'm still your captain, for god's sake." Beca abruptly stood up and warned everyone, though it wasn't intimidating at all, as her face was blushing so hard.

 

Chloe, then, pulled the flustered captain back to her seat, cooing the captain. "Okay, no one else is showing Irene the video. Can you please sit down now?"

 

Beca, then, reluctantly sat down and the group burst out laughing at Beca's outburst.

 

Chloe shook her head at her embarrassing girlfriend, turned toward Irene and whispered an apology. "Sorry for that, she is sensitive whenever we ."

 

Irene shook her head while chuckling as she found Beca's reactions rather entertaining. "It's okay. Beca is cute." But, she stopped her chuckle abruptly when Beca glanced toward her way.

 

"Beca." Chloe realized the sudden of expression of Irene, knew her girlfriend behind her was looking at Irene even though she was facing Irene.

 

"W-what? I did nothing." Beca played innocent. "I'm eating my salad like you said."

 

Then, Chloe turned around and scolded Beca. Beca kept quiet as her bubbly girlfriend was terrifying when she was being serious. Beca kept her head down like a beaten puppy as Chloe started to nag Beca for making Irene uncomfortable.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter