Chapter 36 - Afterglow

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was way past lunchtime, the three writers finally finished the discussion about the final project for this semester. It was Sooyoung's idea to take a break, as she claimed that starving her is unethical, "a deprivation of human right."

 

To which Joohyun and Tiffany responded with roll of their eyes, relenting to the baby's whine.

 

Despite it was already half of winter season, Joohyun still faced difficulty in adjusting to the cold temperature. The moment she stepped out of the building, the disappearance of heating system caused her to tug in her down jacket, immediately shoving her hand into the pocket to warm her icy hands.

 

She could only admire the thin layered wore by Sooyoung and Tiffany, just simple long sleeve and scarf. As for her, she was bloated with heating underwear, a white long sleeve, covered with her black down jacket, her neck wrapped by a pink scarf. Even with this exaggerated measure, she still found herself shuddered involuntarily when the numbing, wintry wind blew into her face.

 

Luckily, the restaurant that Sooyoung decided was in walking distance. Along the walk, Joohyun was busy hiding her face in the scarf, didn't participate in the conversation between the other two.

 

As soon as she saw the restaurant, she straightaway bolted toward the entrance, didn't even bother to wait her friends. She sighed in content as she entered the restaurant, only then turned around to check whether her friends were following.

 

"Evening, guest. How many are you?" The waitress approached Joohyun.

 

Joohyun gave a slight nod. "There are three of us."

 

"Sure, anywhere as you please." The waitress smiled and excused herself, as most of the guests already left.

 

As they settled down on the table at the middle of the restaurant, Sooyoung detangled the scarf, leaning forward toward Joohyun. The eyebrows knitted together, the eyes scrutinizing Joohyun.

 

Joohyun leaned away from the intruder, avoiding the suspicious gaze thrown at her. "What?"

 

"You're glowing." Sooyoung pointed her finger to the bunny, cocking her head to Tiffany, double confirming. "Don't you think?"

 

"She's always glowing after she starts dating Wendy." Tiffany, being clueless as always, found her friend being over analysing.

 

Sooyoung's face dropped at the answer, didn't know what to reply. As she couldn't possibly get pissed at that precious silly gem, though she sometimes wondered how they even became friend at the first place. Mostly, she was even more impressed that Taeyeon was able to put up with this girl.

 

Really, love was blind.

 

"She's different." Sooyoung wouldn't give up, turning back her attention to the bunny sat opposite her. A mysterious smirk spread across the prophet's face as she spoke, the volume dropped to a whisper.

 

"Like..."

 

The prophet waved her hand as she was summoning the other two to draw them other two closer.

 

"They came closer." The prophet, then, revealed her answer.

 

The answer was vague, it was still true in a sense somehow.

 

"Bull." The felon kept her cool, faking her "usually" neutral expression, hoping her face or expression wouldn't betray her. She didn't forget to bring her glass of water as a disguise, glancing away while she took a sip.

 

Though, the gleaming red on the bunny's ear sort of giving it away.

 

Sooyoung arched her eyebrows at what she saw, mirroring the action of the felon, shrugging as she leaned back to her seat. Her eyes didn't waver, looking straight into Joohyun's as she said. The creepy smirk stretched across her face as she said.

 

"If that's what you said."

 

Tiffany who sat beside them was whipping her head to follow the exchange. A sigh escaped . Tiffany shaking her head while shifting her attention for something worth her time, the menu.

 

Why bothered the two childish kids when she needed to decide her lunch.

 

As Sooyoung already decided her dish upon she got the menu, standing up to excuse herself to the toilet.

 

"I want bibimbap, I'm going to toilet."

 

She, then, pointed her finger to the bunny as she finished. "We aren't done, Bae Joohyun. We will talk about it after I come back."

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes as she slapped the finger away, lowering her head to the menu, finding kimbap appetising.

 

After they dropped their order to the waiter, Tiffany who didn't say a word since the bantering, finally spoke up. There wasn't any change in the tone, as if she was just speaking the fact.

 

"I saw Wendy left the dorm, few days ago."

 

The very sentence caused Joohyun spatted out the water she was drinking, choking because of it, coughing hysterically.

 

"W-what?" The cough and the shock caused Joohyun to stutter.

 

Joohyun quickly grabbed the tissue from her friend, wiping , throwing her baffled gaze toward her friend.

 

And, the precious, innocent gem had her corner of mouth tugged up, keeping her silence, while using the other tissue to wipe the table.

 

 

Tiffany was on her way back to her dorm, from the market place nearby. She just finished stocking up her groceries at the morning. The perfect timing to avoid the unbearable crowd as the market just recently opened.

 

The groceries she bought started to weigh her down, her breaths getting ragged by it. A grunt left when the stairs leading to her dorm came to her sight.

 

"Why the I did it to myself?"

 

Now, she was regret for not calling Taeyeon to come along, and also for buying too much snacks.

 

Scaring the groceries may fell out from her recycle bags, she tugged it closer with her palm, taking a deep breath before she charged along the stairs. But, someone she knew stopped her.

 

The two seemed to not notice her presence as there were distance between them,  despite the gigantic grocery bags she was carrying.

 

"You can just join us for discussion, you know?"

 

Joohyun tried her last luck of persuading Seungwan to stay, tucking their holding hand.

 

"And, to hinder the progress of your final project?" Seungwan retorted with an arch of her eyebrow, tilting her head to face the whiny girlfriend as she said.

 

Shaking her head for finality while saying. "Nope. Not happening."

 

Joohyun pouted at the rejection.

 

"Then, text me when you reach, okay?" Joohyun relented, unwillingly bidding her goodbye, definitely not wanting to let go Seungwan's hand.

 

Seungwan could only squeeze back their hands, bringing her head to nod, as the words couldn't get out of .

 

The two was, again, oblivious about surrounding around them.

 

Not that Tiffany could distinguish of the conversation between the lovers, but the shift of atmosphere was just too conspicuous.

 

The two already dated for quite sometimes, yet acting like they just got together.

 

Tiffany could have just called out for Joohyun, at least she could have some help for these two baggages. A chuckle left Tiffany's mouth as she charged along the stairs.

 

Being a nice friend, as she always was.

 

Giving the lovebirds space.

 

 

"Haar...Chuuuu.."

 

The group was never this fast to react, not even in any match they played, immediately shoving themselves away from the germ, their face full of disgust.

 

Wendy rolled her eyes, thanking the offered tissue from the kind bear and also bless you from Chloe, using the tissue to cover her nose as she blew it.

 

"Get a cold?" Aubrey settled on her seat after coming back from the toilet.

 

"I thought Irene would keep you nice and warm...." Fat Amy leaned forward as she wiggled her eyebrows.

 

All the other devils' expression followed suit, throwing the devious smirk, getting closer to the target.

 

Wendy's eyes darted around, shrinking back to her seat, pulling distance from the devils, feeling unusually coy at the gaze thrown on her. "What are you all indicating?"

 

"You know what we all meant." Joy's narrowed eye, along with the taunting smirk on the bright red lips she was wearing made her more intimidating.

 

Wendy couldn't even find any bull to retort, hoping her face won't give anything away, as her mind automatically drifted back to the activity they did few nights back.

 

It did keep them nice and warm that night...

 

"With her love and cuddle." Joy continued and the others nodded their agreement to the statement.

 

"Or, you're indicating the other thing?"

 

Who would have thought her best friend will give a sudden blow into Wendy's punch.

 

Wendy coughed at the sudden comment from the kind bear, whipping her head toward her best friend.

 

Her eyes full of shock and betrayal.

 

Her mind screaming, "not you too."

 

The bear just flashed a childlike, bright smile toward her best friend.

 

The innocent, round eyes cr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter