Chapter 8 - Frustration

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joy knew almost immediately about Seungwan's crush on Joohyun unnie when Seungwan introduced Joohyun to them.

 

"Joohyun-unnie, this is Seulgi," Seungwan introduced to Joohyun, Seulgi smiled shyly and nodded.

 

Seungwan turned around to Joy, "and this is Joy."

 

Joy stood up and greeted, "Hi, Joohyun-unnie."

 

Then, Seungwan turned her attention to Joohyun, Joy noticed how Seungwan's pupil dilated when she talked to Joohyun, and Seungwan's smile was almost blinding while talking to Joohyun. Seungwan would instinctly walk to Joohyun first when she saw Joohyun. All these were obvious enough for others to notice Seungwan's secret yet Joohyun didn't notice a single trait of it. Love is blind, or Joohyun is blind. Joy didn't know.

 

"Do you like Joohyun-unnie?"

 

Seungwan choked on her own saliva, "W-what? Of cour-course not!"

 

Joy folded her arm and shrugged, "Whatever you say."

 

Seungwan, then stuttered with blush on her cheek, "H-How do you know?"

 

"God, you are god damn obvious." Joy was absolutely smug about her instinct and went on telling Seungwan about her observations.

 

Joy didn't voice out her worry about Seungwan's crush might not be reciprocated by Joohyun, because Joohyun appeared to be really straight to Joy.

 

But, gradually, Joy noticed Joohyun started to search for Seungwan too.

 

"Joy, have you seen Seungwan?"

 

"Joy, where is Seungwan?"

 

Joy also noticed Joohyun only have the look in her eyes when she was talking to Seungwan. They all knew Joohyun could be really rigid, and Joohyun only laughed heartily on Seungwan's joke, sometimes the jokes wasn't even funny. Joohyun brightened up when she saw Seungwan walking toward her. Joohyun would say yes to whatever Seungwan asked her, no matter how ridiculous the request was. Seungwan somehow slowly helped Joohyun to unload her armor against the world, Joohyun became more lively, not to mention the giddiness and excitement that Joohyun couldn't contain before the four of them went for the trip to Jeonju. All these finally put Joy into ease.

 

It was just a matter of time, they both acknowledged ther feelings toward each other.

 

Then, something happened.

 

Seungwan was no longer bright, Joohyun who slowly opened herself to the world hid back into her shell again and secured her heart with more unbudged walls. 

 

The life in Seungwan's eyes suddenly vanished and the fog of gloominess in Joohyun's eyes once cleared by Seungwan striked back stronger as storm.

 

If Joohyun saw Seungwan standing in the end of hallway, Joohyun would turn around and take a detour, just to avoid coming in contact with Seungwan.

 

Whenever Seulgi and Joy mentioned about Joohyun, Seungwan's eyes would flick down for one second and then masked her emotion with a hollow, robotic smile, yet still made sure to give her response to avoid any suspicion.

 

"Is it?"

 

Joy was dying to know why, what in the actual world happened to these two. So, Joy asked Seungwan.

 

"What happened to Joohyun-unnie and you?"

 

"W-What? Not-nothing happened?"

 

"Are you guys ever gonna acknowledge the fact that you guys at lying?"

 

"Can we please just don't talk about it right now?" Seungwan pleaded and flicked her gaze down to the table. Joy noticed the tears pooling in Seungwan's eye, threatening to fall and Seungwan was trying to hold the tears by forming a fist.

 

Joy slowly held Seungwan's fist, showing her support to Seungwan, hoping this little gesture might give Seungwan comfort.

 

 

Joohyun's flight was in the early morning, so they needed to arrive airport before 6am. So, they all stayed overnight at Joy's dorm, because Seungwan didn't want to trouble her parents to fetch her to Joy's house. Before they all went to sleep, Seungwan was standing alone at the balcony, enjoying the nightview, though it wasn't much help to her entangled mind.

 

Seulgi was already fast asleep, Joy went out and found Seungwan standing alone at the balcony. So, she joined her.

 

"Did you write anything for her?”

 

"It's not like we aren't seeing each other again." Seungwan acted nonchalant and shrugged.

 

"Please don't bawl your eyes out, tomorrow." Joy sighed at Seungwan's poor attempt.

 

"Why would I?" Seungwan went defensive.

 

Joy chose not to give any response.

 

Before heading back inside, Joy turned around and said, "Don't stay up too late, you are the driver tomorrow."

 

 

When Joy got the news of Seungwan was knocked by the car, she and Seulgi went to the hospital immediately. Seulgi was crying so hard in Joy's shoulder, clinging herself to Joy's hold.

 

Joy cooed the crying bear, "She will be alright."

 

"Why are you so sure?"

 

"Because she and Joohyun-unnie still haven't got their head out of their asses." Joy grunted with frustration.

 

That lifted the sombre atmosphere up a bit, at least Joy's sarcasm successfully made the crying bear chuckled heartily. Joy ignored the flutter forming in her stomach.

 

 

Then, Seungwan woke up, meeting them for the first time again.

 

"Sorry, I bet they already told u guys about my accident." Wendy apologized while Joy and Seulgi entered.

 

"Why are you apologizing?"

 

"Because I forgot about you guys?" Wendy puzzled at Joy's questions.

 

"Don't you ever do that again," Joy noticed Seungwan was a bit intimidated at a sudden strong statement, "You don't want it to happen and you can't control it. So, dont apologize for things you can't control."

 

Wendy went mum as she was processing Joy's words. Even though this girl was blunt, Wendy appreciated the honesty.

 

Joy being impatient as always, she didn't giving time for Seungwan to think.

 

"I'm Joy, nice to meet you, and this is Seulgi."

 

"I'm Wendy."

 

Seungwan was prety much still the same, just without her memory to the past.

 

There was something different about Seungwan after the accident.

 

Wendy was more willing to share her emotions because she was more aware about her emotions. Seungwan was reserved about her feelings because she couldn't quite figure out her own emotions herself.

 

Wendy cared about herself first before she cared for others, knowing the right way to navigate relationships with others. Seungwan put others first over herself, even it was hurting herself.

 

Wendy wouldn't mind to be alone, loving the solidarity to clear her mind. Seungwan was terrified to be alone like Seulgi.

 

Joy, then, figured the accident really helped Seungwan to become Wendy. Joy didn't mind Wendy at all, she loved both Seungwan and Wendy.

 

 

Wendy helped Joy to finally get her head out of her too, to confess her feelings to Seulgi.

 

"Why aren't you confessing to Seulgi?" Wendy genuinely asked.

 

Joy was drinking water, she spat out and the poor Seungwan sat across Joy.

 

Wendy flinched and grimaced as the water was spat on her very own face. She wiped it with her hand. "Thanks for that."

 

Joy was surprised how the characters were switched now.

 

"It's not that easy." Joy dismissed Seungwan.

 

"It's that simple, you like her and she likes you. Don't you dare to care about what people think about you two. It's your life to live anyway."

 

Joy let the words sinked in, she wondered if Seungwan also think like in the past. If Seungwan confessed to Joohyun-unnie. Till now, she was still curious what happened back then, with Seungwan forgetting her past, Joohyun was a stranger to Seungwan now. Joy mourned about their lost for them, not sure how Joohyun would react when she found about it, couldn't bare herself to imagine the torment faced by Joohyun when she found out.

 

"But.... what i-if she rejected me?" Joy who was almost fearless to everything voiced out her worst fear with a whisper.

 

"Trust me, she won't, she was too obsessed in you."

 

Joy looked up and saw Seungwan with a confident smile, as if saying ''My instinct is always accurate.'

 

 

So, Joy gathered her courage, and asked Seulgi out for a date, Not officially a date, because they always hung out with just two of them.

 

"I-I have something to tell you." Joy nervously shoved her hands into the pockets, gripped the cloth within her pockets for assurance.

 

"Me too. Can I go first?" Seulgi replied too quickly, her eyes darting around, not sure where to look.

 

"I like you." They blurted it out together, they both widened their eyes, amazed by their synchronicity.

 

Finally, they turned to each other and locked eyes. Joy saw the crescentic eye smiles of Seulgi, matching with her smile thrown to Joy. Joy couldn't decide which one was more beautiful. Joy swore she was physically standing but her heart was already melted into a puddle. Seulgi, then leaned forward and gave a peck on Joy's lips.

 

It was light-hearted but with their feelings being reciprocated, it carried a certain significance - their first kiss.

 

 

Then, her girlfriend admitted to have crush on her not long after they met in the the first aid room, in which Joy also admitted she fell for Seulgi in the similar timeline.

 

"You know, Seungwan gave me the courage to confess to you."  Seulgi confessed while they were walking to their dorm, intertwining their fingers together.

 

"What? She talked to me too!" Joy turned to her girlfriend, totally astonished by the sudden fact.

 

"We should thank our matchmaker sometime."  Seulgi reminded her girlfriend with a content smile, while leaning her head on her girlfriend's shoulder.

 

Joy nodded, giving a peck to Seulgi's head.

 

Joy thought to herself, "if there were a matchmaker to help you, Seungwan."

 

 

Then, suddenly, Joohyun was back in Korea, finally reaching out out Seungwan after these two years.

 

Her girlfriend confessed, "I didn't tell Joohyun-unnie that Seungwan lost her memory when Joohyun-unnie came and asked me about Seungwan's accident."

 

"Why?" Joy tried to keep her anger to minimum, knowing her girlfriend already beat herself about it.

 

"Because I don't want Seungwan to go back in the wreck, I thought it was for the best, for both of them. Let them both moved on from each other. I never thought Joohyun- unnie would come back." Her girlfriend cried, her sobs were muffled because she buried her face into her hands, as if it could bury her guilt into her hands too.

 

Joy quickly replied to Seungwan's messages.

 

She, then, went and unveiled Seulgi's face from her hands. She gently wiped her girlfriend's tears with her finger, taking her girlfriends' hands into hers and looked at Seulgi tenderly. "You need to tell Wendy about this."

 

Seulgi nodded and lunged forward to her girlfriend for a hug while Joy cooed Seulgi with caresses on her girlfriend's hair, kisses on the temple until her girlfriend's wailing slowly subsided to hiccup.

 

 

That was the first time Joy met Joohyun after two years.

 

When Seungwan fainted, she was talking to her girlfriend. Of course, her girlfriend came and helped.

 

When they reached hospital, after calling Mrs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter