Chapter 1 - Start Over

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy leaned on the wall, watching the students chasing after the football, trying to get the ball near the goal. It was just an ordinary day in fall, a perfect balance between summer and winter, Wendy's favourite season of all time. The tree moved along the breezing wind and this somehow comforted Wendy as well. She should have changed into sportswear 15 minutes ago, but she wanted to savour this serenity all by herself, for as long as she could.

 

"Why aren't you changing?" Of course, someone would come and disrupt her short solitary.

 

Wendy turned around to look at her friend and shrugged, "I just feel like staying in today."

 

"Are you feeling not well? Need to go to the nurse?" Her friend voiced out her concern.

 

Ever since Wendy woke up, people around her easily got fussy whenever Wendy politely rejected their suggestions. Though they tried hard not to show the worry, she could still sense it.

 

"Wendy, you sure you don't wanna join us?"

"Wendy, come on, it would be fun!"

"Wendy, we used to do that, you know, maybe it will help you."

 

"No, it's fine, I will just watch, you guys enjoy."

"But, I don't feel like it."

 

This time wouldn't be any different, Wendy shook her head and waving her hand, "Nah, I'm fine. Don't worry about me, Seulgi, I know you wanna join Joy for the volleyball, go."

 

Fortunately, Wendy had learnt to divert the conversation to avoid any explanation to others.

 

This successfully kept Seulgi from further asking. Seulgi blushed and whispered, "God, Wendy, what if people heard you," looking around to make sure there was no one eavesdropping their conversation.

 

Wendy smirked, pointing her finger at Joy who started to gather the members in the basketball court, "They start gathering, go."

 

Seulgi put her belongings on her desk, in front of Wendy, asking again for one last time, You sure you don't wanna join us?"

 

Wendy shook her head with a smile. "Go, fighting."

 

Finally, Seulgi left Wendy alone and joined the group in the basketball court.

 

Wendy got this habit of observing people once she woke up. Seeing how people interact with each other amazed her, this helped her to understand people more. It somehow helped her in understanding herself too, it was easier to connect with people. She found it fascinating to observe Seulgi's expression whenever she mentioned Joy in front of her. How Seulgi immediately perked her ears up, how her brain went short-circuited, how she suddenly lost her ability to construct sentence, and not only the blush would creep into her face, sometimes it even spread to her ears. She wondered what was it like to have these feelings toward someone.

 

The moment Wendy opened her eyes, seeing all her family bawling their eyes out, she was confused at first. She needed few days to adjust herself to them. Now, it had been two years, she was getting used to them, though it took her a while to process all these old yet new informations. Luckily, her family was patient to her. Wendy felt like nothing really changed, not that Wendy remembered what happened before, she still felt her strong bonding with her family, her friends were still there for her.

 

So, Wendy didn't mind if she never recalled the memory before she woke up, it didn't really matter, she felt like she got this one in a million chance to start her life all over again, molding herself all over again. She was beyond grateful for this opportunity. The fact of not knowing who she was before she woke up didn't scare her in one bit. However, the people around her tended to reminisce the 'old' her a lot, even her family did it unconsciously. Of course, this frustrated Wendy a lot, thinking why couldn't people just accept this version of her now.

 

"Why did you skip the practice?!" Joy barged into the room after one hour practice, shouting at Wendy who was busy arranging her belongings into her bag.

 

Wendy winced at the sudden loud disruption of her solidarity, and sighed, "Seulgi was there, wasn't she? It was just a practice, Joy."

 

"There are less than 1 months till the next competition, we have not much time for you to skip practice like this." Joy crossed her arm and looked at Wendy expectedly.

 

"Ok, fine, I'm sorry. I just feel like staying in today." Wendy apologizing after she finished collecting all her belongings into her backpack. She slid it on her shoulder.

 

"Aren't you gonna wait for us?" Joy baffledly questioned.

 

"I bet Seulgi and you have plan later. I don't wanna be the third wheel." Wendy walked past Joy, she luckily avoided the crowd before her team mates came rushing back into the place where they left the bag.

 

"Where did she go?" Seulgi walked into the room and saw none of Wendy's belongings.

 

Joy shrugged, "She didn't mention, where are we going later?"

 

"Should we be worried? She has been acting so distant lately." Seulgi voiced out her worry, after Wendy woke up. It was as if Wendy became a totally different person, more well-spoken but also reserved to her feelings.

 

"She is like this after she woke up, this is who she is, remember?" Joy quoted Wendy's words to Seulgi.

 

Wendy once voiced out her frustration to them, "I don't know you guys notice it or not, you guys tend to say you used to do this, do that. But, I don't have any memory of that, and this make me uncomfortable. That's the old me, this is who I am now." They were taken aback by Wendy's honesty and how well-spoken she was while describing her emotions.

 

"But, she won't behave like this...'

 

Joy interrupted before Seulgi could finish, 'See, you are doing it again."

 

"How could I forget all that after everything we have been through?"

 

"I didn't tell you to forget that, what Wendy want us to do is to accept who she is now, but not forcing her to be our old version of her."

 

Seulgi was stunned by the statement, blinking her eyes to process this sudden information, "I couldn't believe you just said this, guru Joy."

 

Joy rolled her eyes at her girlfriend, "Where are we going later?"

 

Wendy plucked the earphones into her ears, while walking out the gate. This tuned out the noises, and conveniently prevented people from talking to her. Whenever she was, there would be people saying hi to her, not that she hated it, she just wanted to enjoy her music without being interrupted for once.

 

Wendy was a social butterfly, knowing the right word to say, knowing when to shut up, not overstepping people's boundaries. Her main priority was not to hurt others feeling, to make sure the person talking to her was comfortable. So, people loved to be around her, they told her it was like the coma had a switch and changed her to a different person.

 

Wendy had no memory of how she was used to be, but deep down inside, she felt like she had always been like this. Just that the people around her didn't get the chance to know this part of her, or maybe Wendy chose not to show it to them.

 

"What are you listening to?" One of her coursemates saw her and walked toward her.

 

"Just music." Wendy smiled politely.

 

"Heading back already? I thought Seulgi and Joy have plans later."

 

"I know, but something came up, I have to settle it first, see ya tomorrow!" She waved to her classmate and pretended to be in hurry to save herself from any awkward conversation.

 

Wendy hated small talk, thinking it was unnecessary, she would rather die if she had to talk about traffic or weather. Being clumsy as always, she didn't notice there was a person standing in front of her, as she was busy waving her goodbye to her classmate. As Wendy was turning, she bumped the girl who was standing in front of her, with her back facing Wendy.

 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I didn't see you." Wendy blurted out.

 

The girl turned around and stunned while she saw Wendy. The brunette was slightly taller than Wendy. She had her ponytail tied over her shoulder and she was wearing a round glass. The long sleeves slightly extended from the girl's hand, this shirt must be too large for this petite. She was wearing a pairs of torn jeans, the white converse matched with the white long sleeves she was wearing. She is obviously older than Wendy, but Wendy might be fooled by her baby-looking. Wendy figured she must be waiting someone as she never met her before, and Wendy would probably recognise her if she ever met her due to her beauty. Wendy expressed her apology again with a bow and walked past the girl.

 

"Seung ... Seung Wan?" The girl stuttered.

 

This caught Wendy's attention immediately and she turned around to loo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter