Chapter 31 - Baby steps

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Joohyun, you're up early." Mrs Bae walked out from her room, seeing Joohyun was pouring herself a glass of water.

 

Joohyun turned around to her mum, passing the glass of warm water to the elder, then continued to pour herself another glass.

 

"Mum, you know I always have hard time to sleep on new bed."

 

Mrs Bae thanked her daughter, taking a sip from it, bringing up the halted conversation last night due to her husband's outburst. "Have you met the uncles, after you came back?"

 

Joohyun was surprised to hear her mother bringing uncles up. She turned to look at her mother, replying nevertheless. "Haven't. I have been busy."

 

Busy with Seungwan.

 

Mrs Bae spoke up. "They asked me about you. They miss you."

 

"You talk to them?" This new information threw Joohyun out of guard. She thought her family already stopped any contact with the uncles.

 

"Just because your dad hates his own brother, doesn't mean I would do too." Mrs Bae walked toward the balcony, as she was too exhausted last night. She didn't get to enjoy the night view of Seoul last night, she might as well enjoy the morning view.

 

"I just thought all of you hated them. Jooyeon especially." Joohyun followed her mother to balcony.

 

Mrs Bae sighed at Joohyun's words, not knowing how to convince Joohyun otherwise.

 

Because Joohyun was right.

 

"You know Jooyeon always looked up to your dad. And your dad, he is stubborn and too prideful sometimes." Mrs Bae of course, knew her family like the back of her hand, pointed out the flaws of the father and daughter.

 

Joohyun could only sigh, agreed to her mother completely, casting her gaze to the sky.

 

Despite it was already 8am, the cloud was still too thick and it covered the sun. The slight greyish blue sky was refreshing along with the soft, brisky winds blew at the mother and the daughter.

 

Joohyun wondered whether was Seungwan awake.

 

They talked till quite late, last night. Seungwan shooed Joohyun to bed, as Joohyun yawned several times, not wanting to go to bed.

 

Just wanted to hear Seungwan's voice.

 

To compensate the fact of Seungwan wasn't beside her.

 

"Joohyun. I know you're tired. Tomorrow, you guys are going to shopping. Go to sleep. And you'll see me in your dream, anyway."

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes, though she would like that idea very much.

 

"Good night, Seungwan."

 

"Good night, Joohyun."

 

Joohyun now understood the reason behind the expensive phone bill of those couples.

 

"Joohyun, last night, your dad nagged me about the suggestion of setting you up, I'm sorry." Mrs Bae patted Joohyun's hand to express her apology.

 

To be honest, sometimes Joohyun couldn't grasp what was in her family's mind.

 

Family was difficult, complicated.

 

Thoughtful sometimes.

 

Of course, close-minded in certain aspects.

 

There was time when Joohyun felt touched by their understanding from time to time, yet sometimes didn't want to be associated with them.

 

And, maybe family was about all that.

 

"Mum, it's okay." Joohyun didn't want her mother to beat herself up, held her mother's hand in return.

 

She did realize she got this trait from her mother.

 

Like mother, like daughter.

 

"I just don't understand why is my excellent, wonderful daughter still single." Mrs Bae voiced out her confusion.

 

Joohyun could only chuckle at the praise while shaking her head. "Mum, your daughter isn't as wonderful as you think."

 

"No, my daughter is beautiful, independent and brave." Mrs Bae started to pester her daughter with praises.

 

"I'm not brave, mum."

 

The praise Joohyun received from others mainly related to her physical appearance and her excellence in academic but brave?

 

She blinded her eyes on her feeling toward Seungwan two years ago.

 

"You left Korea to Japan to study for two years. Alone. And you never make us worried about your well-being.You even went to travel alone." Mrs Bae knitted her eyebrows at her daughter's humility.

 

"Mum, stop. It was nothing." Joohyun quickly put her hand up to stop her mother. Luckily, it was just the two of them at the balcony.

 

"Ok, ok. How have you been? It's half a year since you came back." Mum relented, sensing her daughter's discomfort, changing the subject.

 

Joohyun perked up her ears at the question, wanting to test the water.

 

"Oh, at first, I couldn't quite adjust myself to it. But with Seungwan, it was easier." Joohyun glanced toward her mother after the statement to see the reaction.

 

"Oh, Seungwan. She seems to have been taking care of you since you came back from Japan." Her mum smiled at the junior being brought up. "She was your junior in high school, right?"

 

Joohyun nodded with a smile as her mother seemed to be very fond of Seungwan.

 

"Was she there to send you off?" There were too many friends that day when Joohyun departed to Japan. Mrs Bae couldn't recognise all of them of course.

 

Mrs Bae only recognised Seohyun, obviously.

 

"Ya." Joohyun only gave a short reply, not wanting to recall how broken Seungwan was that day.

 

"I'm glad you have some good friends to rely on." Her mum flashed a motherly smile.

 

Joohyun beamed at her mum, hearing the sound of door creaking open, turning around to see her sister groggily rubbing her eyes, walking to them.

 

"What time is it? Why are you two up so early."

 

Joohyun glanced at the clock, replying her sister. "It's already 9am."

 

"Aren't we having a free breakfast?" Mrs Bae remembered her youngest daughter mentioned breakfast would be provided.

 

Jooyeon nodded, turning back to her room to freshen up. "The breakfast ends at 11am."

 

Joohyun followed her sister to their room, also wanted to change too. She was wearing Seungwan's hoody.

 

Which she stole it from Seungwan.

 

To be exact, Seungwan borrowed her and she was not planning to give it back.

 

Because it smelt like Seungwan.

 

She took out a pair of black leggings, a white t-shirt, with NYC written on it. Also a red- checkered button down as a jacket, as it was getting cooler these days.

 

As Jooyeon occupied the toilet to take a quick bath, she lied on her bed to text the sleeping beauty.

 

"9.11am

HyunBunny: Good morning, sleepyhead."

 

 

Wendy who already woke up in the dusk, was now at the airport to fetch her parents from the worktrip.

 

Yeri and Wendy were having their breakfast while waiting their parents to come out from the gate. Wendy's eyebrows arched up and a broad smile quickly crept onto her face while she saw her girlfriend's message.

 

Yeri who sat opposite her sister saw the lovestruck expression on her sister, shaking her head, continued to eat her noodle soup.

 

Wendy quickly replied.

 

"9.12am

Clumsiee: Good morning, hyunnie. Did you dream about me? "

 

The moment Joohyun saw it, Joohyun chuckled though rolled her eyes at her self-indulgent girlfriend, replying.

 

"9.13am

HyunBunny: Thank god. No."

 

Yeri saw her sister's smile never faltered and the eyes were glued on the screen. She grimaced at herself, decided to distract herself from the scene.

 

SassYerm: Guys, they're doing it again. Ugh, save me.

 

Acca Chloe Bear: Sorry, you have to suffer this, in this early morning. :(

 

Bring Joy to World: You have my condolences. You guys are in the airport right now, right?

 

SassYerm: Yes. And, the son of a couldn't stop smiling at her phone. Like a ing psycho.

 

Yeri thought of a good idea, sneaking a photo to the groupchat, letting it be the profile picture of the groupchat.

 

As Wendy was happily texting to her girlfriend, she didn't realize her sister who sat opposite was positioning her phone, to take a photo.

 

And, Yeri was stupid enough to leave the flashlight.

 

On.

 

And, the moment she clicked.

 

The light flashed.

 

Yeri widened her eyes in horror.

 

Scrambled to switch off her camera.

 

Wendy snapped up her gaze to look at her sister, saying. "Did you just take a photo of me and you forgot to turn on the flashlight?"

 

Yeri's face was priceless.

 

Wendy opened her palm, gesturing her sister to pass her the phone, with a stern expression on her face.

 

Yeri sheepishly gave her sister her phone, hoping her sister wouldn't find out the groupchat.

 

It was a miracle that Wendy just searched for the photo and deleted it, and passed it back to her sister.

 

"You really need to improve your skill." Wendy shook her head.

 

Yeri rolled her eyes while getting her phone back.

 

Wendy's phone started to ring as the parents walked past the gate and couldn't see them.

 

The sisters left the restaurant to get the parents.

 

 

Eric came and joined the Bae's family for breakfast. Eric was born in Seoul, hence he was in charge of bringing the family around like a tour guide. Eric was absolutely different as compared to the guys Joohyun met. She understood why Jooyeon would fall for him.

 

He knew how to talk to the elderly, not because of he was obliged to, he was genuinely interested in getting to know them.

 

And, with this single trait, Joohyun's impression of him was positive already.

 

Always attentive to the elderly and her and his girlfriend, paid attention to the delicate details.

 

Quickly refilling their glass of water when their glass is almost empty.

 

Helpful by preparing tissue for them after they finished eating.

 

Now, that was something else Joohyun had never seen a man to do any of those.

 

Even her father wasn't that attentive either.

 

She knew for sure, if Seungwan was here, she would have done the same.

 

Joohyun always unconsciously compared everyone with Seungwan.

 

She couldn't help it.

 

Or, should she say, it became a habit when Seungwan was not there with her.

 

When Joohyun rejected Bogum's confession, of course Bogum didn't give up on Joohyun.

 

He was nice at first, but couldn't take the hint.

 

And, obviously didn't know how to get a girl. No matter how he asked her out, Joohyun would use any excuse as an excuse to politely decline the invitation.

 

"I have to call my mum that night."

"I have meeting that day."

"I'm just tired, Bogum."

 

Bogum seemed to be oblivious, even tried to be a considerate 'friend' to send Joohyun to meeting and walk her back home as they were housemate.

 

Joohyun felt suffocated, yet didn't want to tell Bogum about Seungwan. She didn't know how to make it clear to Bogum. As Bogum was relentless, too relentless, Joohyun decided to tell Bogum.

 

"Bogum, you don't have to do this." Joohyun spoke out while they were crossing the street and they were almost reaching their dorm. There were five of them renting a house, back in Japan. It was cheaper than renting the school's dorm individually.

 

Who wouldn't be comfortable to live with acquaintance, instead of some strangers.

 

At least, they knew each other.

 

"It's okay, Joohyun. I want to." Bogum thought Joohyun was thinking she was bothering him, and he wanted to assure Joohyun it was absolutely fine.

 

"Bogum, I know you are trying to be a good friend." Joohyun noticed the disappointment on Bogum's face when the friend was being brought up.

 

Despite the guilt came haunting her, getting uncertain if she was doing the right thing.

 

Joohyun hated confrontation, because it always ended up hurting the other person.

 

Last time she did it. She hurt and lost Seungwan.

 

"Don't give me false hope, Joohyun. Don't make me feel like I am all you see, when you certainly don't think that."

"What are we, Joohyun."

 

The despair in Seungwan's tone which Joohyun would never forget.

 

The slight anger reflected in Seungwan's words.

 

"I don't have feelings for you. No matter what you do, I'll only think and treat you as a friend." Joohyun looked Bogum in the eyes, not wanting to mislead Bogum anymore.

 

All those days, she was hoping Seungwan was the one who accompanied her to meeting, and sent her back home.

 

Thinking back Seungwan would never force Joohyun to do something she was uncomfortable with.

 

Seungwan would never make her uncomfortable or suffocated.

 

That was when she knew Seungwan was all she saw in others.

 

Seungwan set a bar so high, that no one would ever transcend.

 

Or, Joohyun should say.

 

Joohyun only let Seungwan to surpass herself.

 

That was when Joohyun knew she wanted to be with Seungwan.

 

And, Seungwan only, no one else.

 

 

Mrs Bae and Jooyeon went into a shopping spree, as the sale season provided an unbelievable discount in everything. The two women, with the shopaholic trait in their blood, had turned into someone Eric couldn't recognise.

 

Losing their mind to grab whatever they can.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter