Chapter 2 - Reconciliation

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So, they started talking. Irene told Wendy about her life in Japan, how she couldn't stand her flatmate sometimes. She even joined different clubs for activities, but she faced problems while applying internship in Japan. How she was kind of lost at the first few months in Japan, not sure whether she made a right decision to leave her home and come to Japan.

 

Wendy was surprised that Irene told her about her insecurities, Irene was still technically a stranger to Wendy. But she figured Irene seemed to need a listener, and it must be rare for Irene to pour her heart out to someone else, so Wendy just listened to her and occasionally gave her response. Wendy sensed a kind of familiarity while listened to Irene's stories.

 

Irene would never picture they could still talk to each other like this, like how they used to be. It felt like a second chance to Irene to relive what they had in the past, and Irene didn't know to cherish it back then. She took a painful detour to finally realize what she wanted or finally understood what was in her mind. So, Irene wanted to make it right again, not letting it slipped away from her again. It took her a year in Japan to realize how much she worshipped her relationship with Wendy. When she found out Wendy had an accident after six months in Japan, at that time, they already stopped talking to each other. Despite being worried sick about Wendy's condition, she stubbornly refrained herself from reaching out to Wendy. But, she did ask Seulgi about her condition and Seulgi assured Wendy was fine. Irene was confused about the reason behind Seulgi hiding Wendy's amnesia to Irene. She had to find it out herself from people's gossip in a club gathering.

 

"Why don't Wendy come to our club gathering? I thought she recovered fully from the accident."

 

"Oh my god, haven't you heard? She actually lost all her memory after the accident, she probably has no idea about this club."

 

Irene widened her eyes at the statement, suppressing the urge of confirming the validity from the girls. She figured it was best to ask someone close to Wendy or to ask Wendy herself, rather than just simply believing whatever she heard.

 

She got the address of Wendy's college from Jessica who attended the gathering and apparently studied there too. After few days' dilemma, she finally decided to find Wendy.

 

"Girl, do you wanna get in the bus or not?" The driver grunted impatiently, as there were people waiting behind her. This pull Irene back to reality from her thoughts.

 

"Ya... sorry." Irene scanned the card on the machine while getting into the bus. She squeezed herself through the crowd and found a seat near the window, completely anxious about the upcoming impromptu meeting.

 

Irene thought people would change at some point, at least not Wendy, she still listened to Irene attentively, giving response when necessary. She was still the same understanding, accepting Seung Wan and yes, still made a mess of herself while eating ice cream. Wendy was so engrossed in Irene's story and eating the ice cream, she didn't notice there was a smear of ice cream at her lips.

 

"What?" Wendy asked Irene curiously while seeing Irene was stifling a chuckle.

 

"It's just... " Irene stood up and wiped Wendy's lips with her thumb. After she wiped it, she showed her thumb to Wendy.

 

"You are still kinda clumsy." Irene casually remarked with a smile, using a tissue to wipe her thumb.

 

"Thanks." Wendy received a tissue from Irene and wiped again. Wendy would probably flinch whenever people moved closer to her, she hated when people crossed the personal boundrary. She wasn't sure why she didn't flinch away from Irene just now.

 

Irene didn't seem to mind that at all, she acted so naturally, as if they did this all the time.

 

"Did we always do that?"

 

"What?"

 

"Err, you wipe my lips like that." Wendy pointed it out.

 

Irene was finally conscious about how vague her action was, she stuttered, "We.. I... sorry.. I just do it out of instinct."

 

"Don't be sorry, I am just curious, I hated skinship, you know." Wendy assured Irene.

 

"Then, why didn't you pull away just now?" Irene perked her ears up and cautiously prompted.

 

Irene's question made Wendy pondered for awhile, didn't know how to answer, 'Good question, to be honest, I don't know, maybe it's because you told me about stuff in Japan, which mean you trust me, and it made me comfortable around you." Wendy shrugged her shoulder while saying that.

 

Obviously, Irene was expecting something more, but she didn't wanna scare Wendy away, she had to constantly remind herself about what Wendy said, start over again.

 

"Enough about me, how about you?" Irene wanted to know how Wendy had been.

 

"Nah, my life is boring, just like any college student, study for exam and then semester break, work as a part time." Wendy dismissed the topic.

 

"How does it feel? Losing all your memory. It's okay if you don't wanna tell me, sorry if that's too personal." Irene was so scared that she might overstep Wendy's boundary.

 

"You don't have be so nervous around me, I don't bite." Wendy chuckled at Irene's fuzziness, and continued, "It was like you wake up from a long sleep, and then you have no idea who you are, and it was quite terrifying to see people around you started crying, and you had no idea who the are they," Wendy chuckled while reminiscing the moment she woke up.

 

Wendy slowly opened her eyes but squinted to adjust herself to the light as it was further reflected by the white painted wall. She was lying on a bed, wearing a green gown. There was a drip infusion connected to her right forearm. She had no idea where she was, and why she was here. She tried to wake up from the bed, but the soreness in her body wouldn't let her to do so, caused her to hiss in pain. This stirred a woman beside her to wake up from her sleep.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter