Chapter 32 - Glimpse

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Mum said she met Joohyun unnie."

 

Yeri settled herself on the sofa, despite it was already midnight, passing the water bottle to Wendy.

 

Since the parents already went to bed, the sisters stayed up late to talk as tomorrow was still sunday. It was one of their ritual, just sitting on the sofa and talked about anything. The topic would just come to them anyway, let it be about Yeri's irritating classmates in school or Wendy's unfortunate in meeting freerider in the project.

 

They, of course didn't only complain the unjust incident they faced in school. It would be a total waste of time to dwell in these toxic matters. This was when they shared their deepest thought and being completely honest to each other.

 

"How did their first meeting go?"

 

"Oh, it was fine."

 

As called by Yeri, Joohyun quickly adjusted herself, wanting to keep her tears in control. As she walked toward Yeri, she locked eyes with Mrs Kim.

 

Noticed the resemblance of Seungwan in Mrs. Kim's face.

 

Mrs Kim smiled as their eyes met.

 

Joohyun quickly mirrored the smile back.

 

"Mum and dad, this is Irene unnie. She comes and supports Seungwan unnie, one of Seungwan unnie's friend." Yeri was quick witted to introduce Irene to her parents, but keep it short, not wanting her parent to associate with Irene.

 

Knowing this was the most appropriate.

 

As she still couldn't bring herself to trust Irene.

 

"Nice to meet you, uncle and auntie."

 

Mr Kim just smiled and nodded his head.

 

"Hi, Irene. It's nice meeting you. Seungwan never really mentioned about you. But again, Seungwan has too many friends." Mrs Kim spoke up while teasing her daughter. "I only recognised Seulgi and Joy."

 

Joohyun chuckled at Mrs Kim's witty comment , thinking no wonder Seungwan was so good at throwing joke.

 

"But, you two must be really close since she invited you here. She never asked other to come here to support."

 

Joohyun startled at the sharpness of Mrs Kim, didn't know how to reply on that. She knew Seungwan had yet to come out to her parent.

 

And, Yeri came to rescue.

 

"There she is."

 

Mrs Kim then turned her attention to her daughter, a proud smile quickly formed on her face.

 

Joohyun followed Mrs Kim's action, turning her attention to her favourite player.

 

Wendy nodded her head as Yeri told her the first meeting, then went on telling her sister the bunny's plan. "Joohyun wanted to introduce me to her parents."

 

"As what?" Yeri wasn't surprised about the news, to be honest. And, pleasantly glad that Joohyun unnie actually kept her word.

 

Using her action to prove her words.

 

Action always spoke louder than words.

 

Joohyun unnie really cared about Seungwan unnie.

 

Yeri thought the split throughout two years must have crushed Joohyun.

 

She wondered Seungwan unnie's reaction if she recalled everything Joohyun had done to her.

 

Despite Seungwan unnie was always understanding and accepting, Yeri knew she was human too.

 

She just hoped they could go through the bump (more like rollercoaster) when it happened.

 

Her heart was already rooted for the couple.

 

Ever since she spent time with Joohyun unnie, she found Joohyun unnie kind, loving, funny, childish, maybe a bit of jumpy at some point, but she loved Yeri.

 

And, Yeri loved her too.

 

"Like how I introduced her to mum." Wendy replied.

 

"And?" Yeri spotted the unfinished tone of her sister.

 

Wendy sighed. "And, I said no."

 

"And, Joohyun didn't take it very well?" Yeri deducted.

 

"She thought she hid her disappointment really well." Wendy massaged her temple while she said that.

 

It was a habit Wendy did when she was bothered by something.

 

"I thought you would be thrilled to meet her parents?" Yeri didn't understand her sister's hesitance.

 

Her sister didn't really mind sharing her relationship to public.

 

Yeri turned to look at her sister in the eyes, with a comprehensive gaze. "What's in your mind?"

 

Wendy tilted her head to match her sister's eyes, deducting. "For the past few months, I had been recalling things. All about her. She was the one who initiated skinship and I would be thrown aback by her boldness. Or to be exact, confused by her action."

 

Yeri added. "This is exactly what you told me before the accident. You kept telling me how touchy she was in front of you."

 

This caught Wendy's attention, nodding her head along with Yeri's statement.

 

Yeri continued to probe. "No headache?"

 

Wendy now only thought about the headache, her eyes widened at the notice, shaking her head. "No, there wasn't any headache for these few months."

 

Yeri was relieved to hear that, nodding her head, thinking the very fact of them getting together already made it easier for Seungwan unnie to recall the past they shared.

 

"What do you think?" Wendy asked her sister's opinion. Despite Wendy mostly had her answer in her mind, she always asked others people's opinion about it, not wanting herself to be biased.

 

On-lookers always saw most of the game.

 

Yeri answered truthfully. "Do you realize that the headache only came when Joohyun was brought up? But after you two got together, the headache also disappeared."

 

Wendy nodded her head, wasn't surprised for her sister's observation.

 

Yeri was always sensitive in a way.

 

But, only toward the person she loved, apparently.

 

Yeri continued. "I thought you two are on the same page when it comes to relationship-wise."

 

Wendy sighed. "I thought we were."

 

This rare sight of Seungwan unnie sighing got her worried, thinking it was due to Joohyun unnie's sudden visit to the house in the late night.

 

"That night when Joohyun came and found you, what happened?"

 

Wendy threw a glance to her sister as she heard the question, deciding to tell her sister about the quarrel between Baes' sisters. "Joohyun's sister found out about us and she flipped." 

 

The second time of Wendy massaged her temple on this night.

 

"She is homophobic?" Yeri asked, almost too blunt that she cursed her unfiltered mouth once again acted faster than the brain.

 

Wendy lightly nodded, not replying any further, as there weren't much to elaborate.

 

"And, you think her parents would probably be the same?"

 

"I think the very reason of her rejecting me in the first place was because she was afraid of how her family may think of her. But now, she couldn't wait to introduce me to her family." Wendy sighed as she said, despite she was definitely happy of Joohyun wasn't hiding their relationship, she couldn't understand the sudden change of composure, her head couldn't wrap around her girlfriend.

 

Wendy knew what Joohyun was thinking.

 

If the parents accepted Wendy, Jooyeon would eventually accept her too.

 

Because, children's mindset were mostly influenced from the parents.

 

They learned it from parents.

 

And judging from Jooyeon's reaction being so riled up, Wendy thought Joohyun's parents must express their disapproval before.

 

Very clearly.

 

Or worse, their hatred.

 

Wendy didn't want to be the cause of disagreement between Joohyun and her family. Wendy could feel her headache striking back by merely imagining the possible situation of them coming out to Joohyun's parents.

 

"She loves you, unnie. She used two years to realize that. Even though, that's painfully slow." Yeri rolled her eyes as she recited Joohyun's reaction.

 

And, Wendy couldn't blame Yeri's protectiveness over her lovely sister.

 

But, Joohyun changed.

 

She showed to Yeri how much she cared about Seungwan unnie.

 

Yeri knew Joohyun would give up everything.

 

For Seungwan unnie.

 

"And," Yeri stretched out her arm to pat her elder sister's arm.

 

"I think if there's only one thing she can be 100% sure right now."

 

Wendy looked at the wise youngster's words as she said.

 

"It's not to lose you,"

 

Yeri spoke up for Joohyun unnie, knowing her sister's qualm about the reaction from Joohyun's family.

 

Obviously, Seungwan unnie already knew about that.

 

But, Yeri needed to say it out.

 

"Again."

 

Wendy tilted her head to look at her sister, was slightly surprised, though mostly moved by her sister's heartfelt speech toward her girlfriend.

 

And to think Yeri once disguised Joohyun.

 

The younger's reaction between the past and present.

 

It was distinctly, completely, pointedly different.

 

"Just what happened between you two? I swear your eyes were burning her to death that day, when we were in the Japanese restaurant."  Wendy asked, purely out of curiosity, her smile couldn't be more broad.

 

The fact of her lover and her family getting along was already a dream came true for Wendy.

 

Just what, on earth, Joohyun said.

 

Whatever she said, it changed Yeri's attitude toward her.

 

Toward them.

 

Yeri didn't reply, thinking it was best to keep the conversation to themselves, but still being truthful about her feelings toward Joohyun unnie. "It's just that when we spend time together, I feel her sincerity."

 

Of course, Yeri wouldn't want to make the atmosphere emotional. "And you are dying to want us to get along, don't you?"

 

Yeri gave a side-eye glance, teasing her sister, pretending she didn't care.

 

Wendy laughed at her sister's act of nonchalance, shaking her head at her sister's attempt.

 

Seeing through the acting.

 

Feeling herself being melted by the younger.

 

"Thanks for accepting her, Yeri."

 

"Accepting us." Wendy patted her sister's head while looking into Yeri's while saying that, the genuine smile never left her lips.

 

"Don't mention it." Yeri shrugged, standing up from the sofa. "It's late, unnie. I'm going to bed. Good night."

 

Wendy nodded her head, watching her sister disappeared to upstairs, hearing the door opened and closed. Wendy lied her back on the sofa, observing the fans spinning on the ceiling, plucking her earphone into her ears, switching on the music application in her phone.

 

Hearing the music blaring into her ear.

 

Wanting to distract herself a bit.

 

Resting her hand on her forehead.

 

She widened her eyes as she recalled something.

 

She couldn't sleep.

 

This wasn't the first time insomnia attacked her.

 

It just increased in frequency.

 

She was physically tired as she only slept for few hours.

 

For several consecutive days.

 

But, she couldn't shut her mind.

 

The mind of hers ran wild, didn't let her to rest.

 

Didn't leave her alone.

 

Despite the music volume was already turned up to an unexceptional high volume, all she heard was her mind rewinding the memories they created.

 

How happy they were, back then.

 

The promise she made to her.

 

The promise that they made together.

 

The future which Seungwan thought they would share together.

 

Seungwan clenched her eyes shut to stop her mind from rewinding.

 

If only Seungwan knew all these sweet memories they created would become an endless nightmare that she couldn't shake off.

 

She wouldn't have created any of it.

 

If only Seungwan knew they were meant to fall apart after getting close.

 

She would rather stay acquainted with Joohyun.

 

Wendy's eyes still widened, fixating at the ceiling, being completely thrown off by the flashback.

 

The first time she recalled something after they stopped talking.

 

Her phone rang.

 

She quickly brought her phone up, to check the caller.

 

Of course, she wasn't surprised.

 

There would only be one person calling her at this late hour.

 

She swiped to accept the call, while remained lying on the sofa.

 

"Seungwan?" Joohyun called out as she was standing at the balcony. The wind started to get stronger as winter was coming and the temperature started to drastically drop. Joohyun knew her body couldn't take the cold, hence wearing Seungwan's hoody covering her pajama.

 

Joohyun couldn't sleep, as she recalled Seungwan's reluctance early in the afternoon.

 

The hesitance in Seungwan's tone while saying the presence of Jooyeon.

 

She knew Seungwan wanted Jooyeon to accept them.

 

But, she thought Seungwan would love to meet the family

 

Apparently, Joohyun thought wrong. Despite her attempt to fall asleep, she had been tossing herself on the bed, she didn't feel a single slumber.

 

She heard Jooyeon's steady breath that indicated her sister was fast asleep. She woke up, grabbing her phone on the night stand, slowly walking out the room. Once she reached the balcony, closing the slidedoor to give herself some privacy.

 

She called the culprit to cause her insomnia.

 

Hearing Seungwan humming, she thought she woke her girlfriend up.

 

Feeling bad, she said. "Sorry, did I wake you up?"

 

Wendy knitted her eyebrows at her dispirited tone of her girlfriend, thinking the bunny must be still feeling low at their exchange in the shopping mall.

 

"No, Joohyun. I'm still wide awake. I'm lying on the sofa now."

 

Now, it was Joohyun's turn to crease her eyebrows. "It's late. Why aren't you sleeping?" Her tone was full of worry.

 

Wendy who was still lying on the sofa, chuckling at the bunny's tone, finding the grumpy bunny amusing, yet being not intimidated, decided to girlfriend. "I can say the same to you. Why aren't you sleeping?"

 

Joohyun found herself to be muted by the question, knowing Seungwan was right. Despite Seungwan wasn't beside her, she found herself automatically pouted when her girlfriend .

 

"..I-i can't sleep." Joohyun plopped her elbow on the porch, confiding her insomnia, her body involuntarily shivered at the strong, cold wind blew at her, despite she was always wearing Seungwan's coat.

 

"Are you at the balcony?" Wendy's ears perked up at the shiver coming out from her girlfriend. "Are you wearing a hoody?"

 

Joohyun was startled at Wendy's attentiveness, admitting her location, answering both of the questions. "Yes."

 

"What happened during the dinner, last night?" Wendy asked, remembering the gloominess from her girlfriend's tone, thinking something happened in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter