Chapter 16 - Blossom

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Supp, the song will be Little Little by red velvet

 

 

Wendy sat down on her table while drying her hair with the towel. A notification popped out from her phone when she was taking out the the hairdryer from the drawer.

 

"11.34pm

Irene: You lied. D: "

 

Wendy chuckled while shaking her head at her needy girlfriend.

 

She did it again, looking at her own reflection on the mirror, thinking to herself, they really needed to talk.

 

But with the competition around the corner, Wendy thought it could wait. Though they technically knew each other for two years, they only met for weeks, it would be too fast if they advanced from friends to couple.

 

She quickly replied to assure her needy 'friend' before drying her hair.

 

"11.36pm

Seungwannie: Miss me that much, huh? Patient is key. ;) "

 

"11.37pm

Irene: Just reach home?"

 

Joohyun was restless since Yuri and Yoona sent her back to dorm. Thinking back her conversation with sunbaes, she still wasn't sure if she was ready.

 

자꾸 두근대는 맘들이

Jakku dugeundaeneun mamdeuri

All the feelings that made my heart beat

들릴까 봐 널 피했는데

Deullilkka bwa neol pihaetneunde

I avoided you because I thought you might hear them

보고 싶은 건 숨길 수가 없네

Bogo sipeun geon sumgil suga eoptne

But I can’t hide that I want to see you

 

And that Son Seung Wan, still didn't message her when she said she would. But, she wouldn't have bumped into sunbaes if she wasn't trying to get her mind off Son Seung Wan.

 

Joohyun opened her phone to check the message, nope, no message from the culprit.

 

The culprit who never left her mind when she left to Japan.

 

The culprit who stole a piece of Joohyun.

 

The culprit who spoiled her with love.

 

The culprit promised to stay by her side and Joohyun pushed her away.

 

She, then, distracted herself by opening her coursework which was distributed back after marking.

 

"Irene, holy, the marks. You really tell us how you wrote these masterpieces."

 

"It's just hardwork and luck."

 

"You sound like those brats, can you just accept my praise?" Sooyoung slapped Joohyun's arm.

 

"LOL, Thank you?" poor Joohyun forced herself to accept the praise to stop Sooyoung from hurting her.

 

Writing gave Joohyun comforts, it was her escape from the reality. She could create a fictional world whatever she wanted. Like what Seungwan said, 'she can do anything' in her writings. In the past two years, she wrote short stories, won several competitions because of it. People always asked her about the inspiration behind the story, she always lied to them. Saying it was just pure imagination, and a result of watching too much drama.

 

It wasn't a whole lie, just that she used them as a reference.

 

The memories they created together.

 

The adventure they had together.

 

내 머리 속에 Diary

Nae meori soge Diary

Diary in my head

어느 페이질 펼쳐보아도

Eoneu peijil pyeolchyeoboado

Whichever page I open

너뿐인 건 나만 아는 Secret

Neoppunin geon naman aneun Secret

That you’re the only one for me, a secret that only I know

 

Then, she recalled Seungwan once said, wanting to read her coursework. With Seungwan recalling something now, she wondered her coursework would help Seungwan to recall everything. Joohyun couldn't help but to dread that happened'.

 

It included the phonecall they had.

 

The words said by Joohyun

 

The hurt she caused Seungwan.

 

Her phone rang and stopped her mind from dwelling into those irrational fears. But, the fear wasn't irrational, Seungwan had the right to leave Joohyun if she learnt how selfish Joohyun was in the past.

 

The caller ID shut the noises in her head, automatically bringing a smile to Joohyun's face. Joohyun swiped right to answer the call from the culprit.

 

"You said you would text me." Joohyun whined, settled herself onto the bed.

 

"I was too busy talking to Yeri during the dinner, and she would kill me if I kept using my phone." Wendy struggled to arrange the cord and put the hairdryer back to drawer, as the other hand was holding the phone, talking to her friend whom she was apparently too fond of.

 

More than a platonic way, to be exact.

 

"What did you eat?" Joohyun was never a talker, neither did she know how to initiate conversation with people. But with Seungwan, topic flew to her easily, simply because she was curious about Seungwan's activity without her.

 

하나씩 네 모든 게

Hanassik ne modeun ge

One by one, as your everything

내 안에 쌓여갈 때

nae ane ssahyeogal ttae

Pile within me

왠지 맘은 더 바빠 Woah

Waenji mameun deo bappa Oh

For some reason, my heart is busier Oh

 

"Chicken chop and mashed potato. Let's go there sometime. The mash potato was beyond divine!"

 

Seungwan's excitement caused Joohyun's smile to be wider. Seungwan always included her in the plan.

 

It was still the same.

 

"Let's go there, one day."

"Joohyun, I know you like matcha, let's go!"

 

"And then, what dessert did you have?" Joohyun asked, knowing the sweet tooth wouldn't end a meal without dessert. The sweet tooth would rather skip main course to have dessert as meal.

 

"Oh my god! Are you a psychic?" Wendy widened her eyes, her eys almost bulging out, always too expressive when she was excited.

 

"Maybe I am." Joohyun shook her head with an amused smile, judging Seungwan's tone. She could picture the exaggerated expression on Seungwan's face.

 

"We had a banana boat, and the owner gave us extra two scoops. After we finished it, my stomach was too full, almost felt like it was gonna explode anytime."

 

"Now, that's too much." Joohyun remarked, the content smile never once left her face, lying her back on the bed.

 

"So, I finished my report of my daily activity. Now, it's your turn." Wendy stood up from the chair, and walked toward her bed. She settled down, lying her back on the headboard, comforting herself with the blanket.

 

"I met Yoona and Yuri-sunbae in the cafe just now. We had coffee and we talked for quite long, around 2 hours?" Joohyun propped her elbow up to support her head.

 

"Being the third wheel for 2 hours, I salute your commitment."

 

"Shut up." Joohyun rolled her eyes at Seungwan's teasing, lying back down on the bed, as her elbow was getting uncomfortable. "They told me how they got together and that one time how they almost broke up."

 

"Oooh, some tea. Tell me everything."

 

"Yoona sunbae didn't tell you?"

 

"She sure did, but I want you to tell me again."

 

"What's the point of me telling you something you already knew."

 

"So we can talk longer, you silly." Wendy smirked at her smoothness and already pictured Irene's reaction, being flustered, not knowing what to reply.

 

"..."Joohyun was speechless, as expected, not sure Seungwan was just teasing or being serious.

 

"I can hear your face turning red now."

 

Joohyun quickly rushed to the mirror, checking herself from the reflection. Her face was, indeed, full of blush. It was even more apparent because of her pale skin.

 

"T-they saw us." Joohyun gathered her courage to mutter.

 

"Yoona and Yuri sunbae? They saw me driving you back the other day?"

 

"Y-yes."

 

"So? What's the big deal?" Wendy was puzzled at Joohyun's stutter but found it very cute, nevertheless.

 

"They saw you kissed me on the cheek."

 

"Oh." It dawned on Wendy, knowing the upcoming next topic. She straightened her body before speaking.

 

Joohyun listened attentively, trying to grasp Seungwan's reaction through the phone.

 

There was no panic reflected in Seungwan's breathing.

 

"Joohyun."

 

Joohyun quickly sat up from the bed, holding her breath, waiting Seungwan's reaction. "Umm."

 

"I didn't kiss you as a friend."

 

Joohyun blinked her eyes.

 

Only few seconds later, her mind started to register what Seungwan just said.

 

It was too good to be true.

 

She couldn't bring herself to say anything.

 

To reply Seungwan.

 

"It was my answer.." Despite Wendy already switched on the air-conditioning, there was a wave of heat starting to spread across her cheek to her whole body. She had to kick away the blanket covering her lower half body.

 

".... for your kiss."

 

Wendy heard no response from Irene, sensing it was a cue from Irene.

 

To let Wendy to continue.

 

Seungwan was always the one who did the talking in the past. She always prompted Joohyun to talk more by sharing her thoughts first.

 

But, Joohyun was bad at words, not good in voicing out her feelings to other. Nevertheless, Seungwan was patient to her.

 

Joohyun's introvert personality always gave the wrong impression to people.

 

Closed-off. Reserved. Antisocial.

 

But, Joohyun just needed time to warm herself up to strangers.

 

She also never learned to understand herself.

 

And, Seungwan was patient.

 

Giving Joohyun space to let her figured what was in her mind.

 

"Can we take it slow?" Wendy asked.

 

"What do you mean?" Joohyun didn't like the sound of it.

 

It sounded like Seungwan had second thought about them.

 

Seungwan would never be wavered by others.

 

Joohyun was the one who second guessed their relationship.

 

Wendy noticed the slight worry in Joohyun's voice, knowing the mind of the girl opposite the phone started to wire.

 

Started to overthink again.

 

Irene was always pessimistic.

 

Wendy reasoned to assure the pessimist.

 

Clearing away the smog of insecurity circling Joohyun.

 

"I have feelings for you, and I know you have feeling to me too. But, I just knew you for weeks despite we knew each other in the past. I just want to know you more, understand you more before we jump into it."

 

Hearing Seungwan's words, Joohyun was finally able to breathe. Even Seungwan lost her memory, she didn't and won't run away from her feelings.

 

Seungwan even wanted to dispel Joohyun's insecurity.

 

For the second time.

 

Joohyun really was a coward back then.

 

Wendy chuckled as she heard the sigh of relief from Irene.

 

"W-why are you laughing?" Joohyun asked when she heard the chuckle from the other side of the phone.

 

"You finally remembered to breathe after I said that." Wendy attentively pointed it out.

 

"I.. ugh.." Joohyun hated the fact she always lost her speaking ability when Seungwan .

 

Seungwan would always win.

 

"Thank you, Joohyun."

 

"All in sudden? What for?" Joohyun was perplexed at sudden appreciation from Seungwan.

 

"For coming back to me."

 

Wendy didn't know why she whimpered while saying that.

 

Wendy felt loved by Joohyun.

 

So, Wendy wanted to thank Joohyun.

 

For reaching out to her.

 

For not giving up on them.

 

Even if Wendy already lost all the memory in the past.

 

Wendy was never afraid of sharing how she felt toward others.

 

Always flourished people with love.

 

She wanted to let the people she loved to feel loved.

 

Love was the most incredible gift to gift and to receive as a human being.

 

And, she wanted Joohyun to feel that too.

 

As she expressed her gratitude, a tear streamed down from her eyes, down her cheek.

 

She widened her eyes at her sudden emotion.

 

Bringing her hand up to wipe it away.

 

"Goodnight, Joohyun."

 

Wendy didn't wait Joohyun to say her goodbye and quickly ended the call. Putting the handphone on the nightstand, she lied down on her bed, facing the ceiling, wondered why on earth did she cry when she said that.

 

까맣던 밤 모르게

Kkamahdeon bam moreuge

Without knowing that it’s a dark night

하늘에 반짝인 걸

haneure banjjagin geol

You shine in the sky

난 네 생각에 잠 못자 Woah

Nan ne saenggage jam motja Woah Oh

I can’t sleep because I think about you Oh

 

She felt bittersweet as she said that.

 

Being unknowingly emotional after everything they had been through.

 

The forgotten past which they shared.

 

The present after they reunited.

 

And the unknown future awaiting ahead of them.

 

Give a little little

more love

Give a little little

more time

 

 

"For coming back to me."

 

Joohyun widened her eyes while she heard it, bringing her hand up to , couldn't bring herself to believe the words just came out from Seungwan.

 

Getting emotional wasn't an option, because Seungwan was on the other side of the phone.

 

Her tears threatened to fall, and she was trying her best to not sniffle, or sob, knowing it would worry Seungwan.

 

"Good night, Joohyun." Joohyun could hear Seungwan's loving smile across the phone.

 

Joohyun knew Seungwan was wishing Joohyun could feel her sincerity from her words.

 

Then, the call was ended.
 

너의 작고 작은 것도

Neoui jakgo jageun geotdo  Even the smallest of the small things abot you

내게는 커다란 걸

naegeneun keodaran geol

Are huge to me

 

And, Joohyun's tears came rushing out from her eyes once she knew Seungwan couldn't hear her crying.

 

Seungwan always seemed to know how to move Joohyun into tears.

 

Joohyun felt Seungwan's heart of course.

 

It was clear enough when Seungwan said it to her on the last phone call they had before Joohyun went to Japan.

 

"I'm gonna say it again. I love you, Joohyun."

 

볼엔 하늘하늘 바람

Boren haneulhaneul baram

The wind is softly blowing breeze in my cheeks

너로 일렁이는 내 맘

neoro illeongineun nae mam

My heart is waving because of you

 

Though Seungwan wouldn't hear her, she still said it anyway, hoping it would convey her feelings to Seungwan.

 

"Thank you, Seungwan. Thank you." Joohyun choked back her sob while saying that.

 

Joohyun had wanted to express her gratitude to Seungwan ever since Seungwan appeared in her life.

 

For accepting every aspects of Joohyun.

 

For being patient to Joohyun when Joohyun couldn't figure out her own feelings.

 

For not leaving even if Joohyun pushed her away.

 

자꾸 살랑살랑 불어

Jakku sallangsallang bureo 

It keeps blowing gently

내 세상을 흔들어 넌

nae sesangeul heundeureo neon

You shake up my world

 

"I love you."

 

Joohyun wanted to return the favour.

 

Giving Seungwan the answer which Seungwan had been waiting patiently.

 

The answer which she used three years to figure out.

 

The whisper was muffled with sobs as the tears couldn't stop flowing from Joohyun's eyes.

 

이 맘은 아마 Love love love

I mameun ama Love Love Love

This feeling is probably Love love love

 

 

"So, how did the talk with your sister go?" Joy asked while Wendy was changing into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter