Chapter 17 -  Butterfly

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So, how did the dinner date go?" Tiffany nudged Joohyun who was busy jotting down the necessary information from the lecture.

 

"I-it wasn't a date, it was just dinner with Seungwan." Joohyun quickly put down her pen with a flushing cheek, almost spoke in a normal volume, only then noticed they were in a class, quickly toning down her volume, whispered back.

 

"What date? Are you guys hiding things from me now?" Sooyoung sat beside Tiffany heard the conversation, chiming on, slumping her head on the table to get closer to them.

 

"I-it wasn't a date." Joohyun repeated again, though still stuttering.

 

"She had a dinner date with the junior we met on Japanese restaurant yesterday." Tiffany filled in the details for Sooyoung, with a smirk.

 

"Wendy? I knew it! The way she looked at you, god, so damn obvious." Sooyoung exclaimed, mocking the way Wendy looked at Joohyun.

 

"I don't think you are any much better than her, you should have seen your eyes when you are with Kyungho." Tiffany rolled her eyes.

 

"Really? Tiffany? I thought we are the same team, your highschool friend here is hiding things from us." Sooyoung spat back, gesturing Joohyun.

 

Joohyun was, unfortunately, dragged to a sudden interrogation, letting out a sigh of defeat, shaking her head to shift her focus back to the lecture.

 

An idea popped out in her mind, and she smiled tenderly, quickly taking out her phone from her case, and typed a message.

 

"2.30pm:

Irene: Save me! :( "

 

Wendy was dozing off while the self-centered lecturer was boasting his experience of studying abroad in Japan, and none of this would be included in exam.

 

Of course.

 

Her phone was left on the table, luckily she set it in silent mode. Just when she almost slumped into dreamland, the vibration woke her up.

 

She quickly used her hand to rub the grogginess away, grabbing the phone and checked the message.

 

It successfully chased the slumber away, bringing a smile to her face, chuckled at the message she received. She, then, replied.

 

"2.32pm:

Seungwannie: Whose do I need to kick?"

 

Irene smiled at the message, quickly typing her reply, totally ignored the remaining lecture and the two friends who were still murmuring the quarrel beside her.

 

"2.33pm:

Irene: Sooyoung and Tiffany are bothering me during the lecture. I can't focus."

 

"2.34pm:

Seungwannie: Are you sure you can focus when you are texting me during lecture?"

 

Irene decided to play a little game, quoting Seungwan's previous message.

 

"2.35pm:

Irene: Are you getting bored talking to me already? :( "

 

Wendy chuckled silently, noticed the game right away, decided to play along but wanted to tease the girl.

 

"2.36pm:

Seungwannie: Aww, someone's clingy. ;) I would never get bored talking to you."

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes at Seungwan's comment, yet her heart was warmed by Seungwan's assent.

 

"Is there anything you wanna share? Sooyoung-ssi and Tiffany-ssi." The lecturer noticed the exchange between Sooyoung and Tiffany, calling them out.

 

Both of them shut up and shook their head vigorously, quickly picking up theie pen, directing their attention to the lecture.

 

"And, please don't message in my class, I want your full attention, Irene-ssi." The lecturer pointed Joohyun out.

 

Joohyun squeezed a sheepish smile, nodding her head, putting her phone down, also picking up the pen, resumed her attention back to the lecture. When the lecturers turned back to the board, she then shot her glare at the two troublemakers.

 

The duo avoided the glare from the side, suddenly finding the lecture extremely interesting, starting to jolt down whatever information the lecturer were giving which they didn't understand in the first place.

 

There was no reply from Irene, Wendy figured Irene must got back to the lecture. She, then, put the phone away, now with her slumber absolutely gone, she had to bare herself for the remaining 30 minutes of the boring lecture which the lecturer was basically reading his slide monotonously.

 

Last night's dinner was great. After the phonecall, they were more open to each other, they talked about anything. They didn't have to worry about running out of topic. They could talk about everything and anything. Irene started to share her family to Seungwan and Wendy told Irene about the memory she created in the past two years.

 

With Seungwan admitting her feelings toward Joohyun, last night felt like a date to Joohyun, getting to know each other more. The occasional stealing glance, the shy smile while being caught, the lingering touch when their hand brushed each other.

 

The love bubble surrounding them was mellow yet tingling.

 

Joohyun didn't want it to end.

 

Joohyun could still feel Seungwan's grip on her hand.

 

Seungwan instantly held Joohyun's hand when they were about to cross a busy road where the traffic light already turned green for the passenger. It wasn't really necessary as all the cars were stopped in front of the crossway. Joohyun didn't mind it at all, she returned Seungwan's grip while Seungwan was walking in front of her, holding her hand as leading the way across the crowd.

 

Feeling moved by Seungwan's instinct to make a path for Joohyun while passing through the crowd, Joohyun smiled to herself while reminiscing that.

 

Even when Seungwan pulled up her car in front of the dorm, she walked Joohyun up to her dorm, in which Seungwan insisted.

 

"So, this is my dorm." Joohyun turned around and pointed the door.

 

 '403' Bae-Joohyun

 

Joohyun wanted to invite Seungwan in, obviously not wanting the night to end, or just simply didn't want to part.

 

It was a date, right?

 

They were getting to know each other more.

 

"They just write out your name like this? Wouldn't that be dangerous?" Seungwan baffled at the arrangement.

 

"There were people bringing boys here, and you know. Noises. With this, we can straight away report to the management." Joohyun shrugged and explained.

 

"Holy , really? Free show? Youngsters nowadays, they really need to control their hormone." Wendy scrunched up her face as she thought of that disturbing information.

 

And, the disturbing activity they were doing.

 

"D-do you wanna come in?" Joohyun asked, thinking she was being polite. She, then quickly added. "Since you said you wanna visit my dorm."

 

Something evil popped in Wendy's mind, she slowly walked toward Irene with a smirk.

 

Joohyun widened her eyes as Seungwan walked closer to her, wanting to back out but after few steps backward, her back was met with the door.

 

Seeing Irene blushing and darting her eyes around to avoid to look Wendy in the eyes, Wendy continued her intention, leaning forward and whispered to Irene's ear.

 

"I don't think I can control my hormone when I'm alone with you in this late hour of the night."

 

Joohyun's mind went blank, and she couldn't formulate any sentence to reply. She squinted her eyes shut, gulping down her feelings, trying not to shiver as Seungwan was literally blowing air to her earlobe. The warmth she felt caused sweats to be formed on her forehead.

 

Then, she felt the cool air brushed through her flushed face, as Seungwan retreated back, creating some distance but still close.

 

Laughing out loud for amusement, Wendy was completely pleased with her power over Joohyun.

 

Seungwan, then, took out a tissue from Irene's bag, wiping the sweat on Joohyun's forehead with the tissue. "Another day, okay?" She chuckled as she was wiping, taking care of a clumsy bunny.

 

Joohyun was holding her breath at their proximity, watching Seungwan, not knowing what to do, feeling the tissue touched her forehead, sensing her sweats being wiped away.

 

Thinking to herself, so close, she could just lean in for a kiss.

 

A perfect end for a perfect date.

 

And then, Seungwan looked Joohyun in the eyes. "Maybe with the daylight." Smiling tenderly as she passed the tissue to Joohyun.

 

The tone was so soft as if Seungwan was whispering to Joohyun.

 

It was tender, lovely and mostly heart-warming.

 

Like a lullaby Joohyun could play on repeat.

 

Luring Joohyun to lean forward.

 

To kiss Seungwan.

 

It was too much for Joohyun to process the flutter forming in her stomach, and her hearbeat tapping loudly inside her head, she could only receive the tissue.

 

"Good night, Joohyun." Seungwan, then, leaned forward to give Joohyun a peck on the cheek, patting the bunny's head, turned around and walked toward the lift.

 

Though Joohyun wished more.

 

Still a perfect end for a perfect date.

 

Yes, it was a date.

 

"Joohyun-ssi, the lecture ended a long time ago, just how long do you intend to stay?" Sooyoung knocked the table to get Joohyun's attentions from the reminiscene of the memory.

 

Joohyun jolted, and quickly gathered her belongings into her backpack.

 

"So, Wendy and you were a thing in highschool?" Sooyoung sat back down to help her.

 

"I-it was complicated." Joohyun gave an ambiguous answer.

 

Which neither confirmed nor denied their relationship.

 

It was the truth though, they were really complicated, back then.

 

But now, she told Seungwan how she felt and Seungwan admitted she had feelings for Joohyun.

 

They were on the same page, right?

 

Seungwan made it quite obvious that she kissed Joohyun twice, on the cheek.

 

Joohyun wasn't really counting.

 

She just, somehow, remembered it.

 

It was just a matter of time when they got together.

 

Joohyun told herself that.

 

"That day, you told me about the person who cared for you, She was the person. Was she?" Sooyoung being quick witted as always, connecting the dots and solved the puzzle immediately.

 

Joohyun abruptly stopped her action, and looked at her smart friend baffledly, amazed by her stimulus.

 

"So, I'm correct then." Sooyoung concluded, nodding her head to herself.

 

"Please don't tell Tiffany about this." Joohyun timidly whispered.

 

"Is that how you think of me? Spreading your news around without your permission?" Sooyoung pulled a long face, faking to sniffle. "I thought we are friends, Joohyun!" Turning her head around, didn't want to see Joohyun at the moment.

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes, shaking her head at how she got along with this drama queen in the first place. "I trust you. Just that the reason I don't tell Tiffany is, she knew someone close to Seungwan and I'm afraid that they might slip it out."

 

"She really forgot everything happened between you two?" Sooyoung noticed the sobriety in Joohyun's tone, decided to tone her playfulness down.

 

"She recalled something, she had a rough idea."

 

"What happened?" Sooyoung asked genuinely. "If you don't mind to tell me, of course."

 

"I wasn't ready, back then. I didn't know how to react, so I rejected her."

 

She carried the burden for years.

 

Suffocated because of it.

 

Losing sleep because of it.

 

It's time to admit her wrongdoings.

 

It's time to make it right.

 

Knowing this was what Wendy wanted, to let herself live a little.

 

"I think me from the past wouldn't want you to beat yourself up or dwell in the past."

 

"And then?" Sooyoung probed again, remembering the last time Joohyun mentioned about Seungwan, she got really emotional.

 

"And then, we drifted apart after I went to Japan. I reached out to her, she acted very distant. Then, she got into an accident." Joohyun gulped down her emotion and slowly said it out.

 

"Have you ever thought of telling her the truth?" Sooyoung rubbed Joohyun's back, hoping it gave some sort of comfort to Joohyun. "I mean, what went down between you two?"

 

"Recently, she found out I wrote a letter to her. She asked me about it."

 

"Oh my god, what did you say?" Sooyoung quickly asked, wondering Joohyun's reaction. "You told her everything?"

 

"I couldn't bring myself to tell her that, I don't want her to relive the pain I caused her." Joohyun shook her head, dejectedly sighed.

 

"And she didn't ask about it?"

 

"She said she would wait patiently until the time when I'm ready."

 

"That's very sweet of her." Sooyoung exclaimed, though still felt the need to remind Joohyun about the importance of honesty in relationship.

 

"But, Joohyun. You need to tell her what really happened between you two. It's her right to know. And the relationship between you two could only blossom after you two being honest to each other."

 

Joohyun nodded, completely agreed with what Sooyoung had said.

 

"I will, Sooyoung. I will."

 

Seungwan deserved to know the truth.

 

 

Yeri noticed her sister's high energy across the few days, she figured her sister must got closer to Irene-unnie. Though she promised her sister, she wouldn't stop her from sniffing out the truth, Yeri was still worried her sister might unable to handle it. Sighing to herself, knowing she could do nothing to stop her stubborn sister.

 

"Why are you so quiet?" Mrs Kim asked while driving the car, noticing her daughter's unusual silence.

 

Normally, Yeri wouldn't stop sharing her day

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter