Chapter 5 - Creating new memories

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They were in the bus, going to Irene's university. The bus was slightly crowded, there was no seat left, they had to stand. Despite Wendy was shorter than Irene, Wendy still instinctly pulled Irene near her, using her backpack to leave some space between them. Wendy was holding Irene's arm to support Irene from falling as the bus was unsteady.

 

The bus driver suddenly made a right turn without decelerating, Wendy lost her balance and fell forward. Luckily, Irene quickly reacted, using her hand to support Wendy's waist and the other hand gripping the bar. Wendy's face was buried into Irene's neck, the fabric softener in Irene's cloth made Wendy to recall something.

 

Seungwan snucked inside to Joohyun's class from the back door. She wanted to wait outside, but her class ended too early and Joohyun's class was just started. It was a small lecture hall which could accommodate more than fifty students, and almost half of the hall was already filled with seniors. The lecturer just assumed Seungwan was one of the students who came in late. Seungwan settled herself at the seat nearest to the back door. She scanned the hall and found Joohyun and her friends occupied the fourth row, with Joohyun sitting the end of the row. Seungwan smiled at the sight of Joohyun being this industrious, listening to the lecture attentively, scribbled down something on her printed notes once in a while.

 

Seungwan paid no attention to the lecture at all, apparently the calculation of speed in circular motion was too boring and hard for her to comprehend. She was busy scrolling her handphone and observed Joohyun in between. Finally, the lecture was over, she quickly stopped scrolling her phone when she heard the lecturer saying, "That's all for today, you can approach me if you have any questions."

 

Most of the class already left the lecture hall, some of them stayed back to ask the lecturer. Joohyun was busy collecting her belongings and her friends bid their goodbyes and left the lecture hall. She was feeling unwell today, running a fever. No matter how Seungwan nagged her to apply sick leave, she insisted she didn't want to miss this lecture, because it was her favourite, Physics. When the hall was almost empty, she walked toward where Joohyun was seated, nuzzled Joohyun's head.

 

This startled Joohyun, she wondered who the heck to scare her like that. She turned around with a glare. But when their eyes met, Joohyun's eyes softened and a radiant smile appeared almost immediately.

 

"You scared me." Joohyun whined.

 

"Sorry not sorry." Seunwan smiled fondly and sat on the row above Joohyun with Joohyun facing her. It was more comfortable for them to talk like this.

 

"I thought you went home after class." Joohyun leaned forward to closen the distance between them.

 

"I just wanna make sure you are feeling ok now." Seungwan leaned forward to put her hand on Joohyun's forehead, to check the temperature, and then used her thumb to caress Joohyun's face.

 

They weren't aware about their proximity, not that they cared.

 

Seungwan later went back home, while she was changing, she noticed her cloth was ghosted by a tinge of scent of Joohyun's fabric softener. It was something Seungwan would never get enough.

 

Irene was still using same fabric softener. Wendy quickly helped herself up, thanked Irene.

 

"Oh my god, thank you Irene, did my bag hurt you?" Of course, Wendy would always put others first.

 

"N-no." Joohyun couldn't recovered from the proximity they had.

 

"You sure? Why is your face so red? Did I hit you in the face?" Wendy noticed her effect on Irene, decided to .  

 

"The b-bus is... too hot."Joohyun looked away, suddenly found the scenery outside the bus which she saw in daily basis very interesting.

 

Wendy just smirked.

 

"We are getting off on the next station." Joohyun reminded Seungwan.

 

The bus stopped and Wendy let Irene to get off first, she then followed suit.

 

"Woah, your university is huge," Wendy exclaimed.

 

"Is it?" Joohyun saw it everyday, so it wasn't something worth exclaiming to her.

 

Whenever they walked past a building,Joohyun would start describing the purpose of the building, it was used by which course. Seungwan would mess up with her by asking silly questions, Joohyun would rolled her eyes but she took her responsibility as a guide very seriously. She ensured all Sungwan's stupid enquiries were answered.

 

Wendy always wanted to know how it felt like to have someone really special. Seeing how Seulgi bought a cup of hot chocolate for Joy when Joy was shivering, how Joy rushed toward Seulgi to make sure Seulgi wasn't injured when her girlfriend fell down, she admired how they put each other over themselves. With all her memories being erased, even if she experienced it before, the experience itself was also erased. Now, being in the place where Irene studied, along with the flashback she had just now, she started to get a grasp of how it should feel.

 

Joohyun didn't know why she wanted to share her life with Seungwan, and she had this foolish self-righteousness that Seungwan would always be in her life. It never once crossed Joohyun's mind that one day Seungwan would disappear or leave. But, how wrong was Joohyun. During the first year in Japan, Joohyun desperately tried everything to fill a void she couldn't describe. Making first attempts on the things she never had the courage to do in the past: joining a props preparation team, travelling alone, applying for internship, finding a part time; she tried all these but something was still missing. So, she lied to herself, saying that time would show the missing piece because time would heal everything. But now, showing Seungwan around in the place she studied, she thought she finally found it.

 

"Show me the shop that you bought the kimbap this morning?" Wendy suddenly craved for kimbap.

 

"Really? I really bought the kimbap." Irene bickered because she thought Wendy was still suspicious about the kimbap picture she sent.

 

"What? I am just craving for kimbap." Wendy looked at Irene confusedly.

 

"Oh, I thought you are still suspicious about the photo I sent you this morning." Irene said sheepishly.

 

"It's ok, you can just buy me one as your apology." Wendy shrugged and then bowed formally, "Thank you for your food."

 

"No, I will not treat you." Irene rolled her eyes.

 

"Bad Irene." Wendy pouted.

 

"Oh my god, I couldn't believe you guys are here!" Suddenly, a voice caught their attention, they turned to the source.

 

Once Irene saw the person who was walking toward them, she quickly filled in the information for Wendy, "Her name is Yoona, she used to be our senior."

 

Yoona tackled them into a hug for a while. Joohyun quickly glanced to Seungwan, she was worried Seungwan may be uncomfortable for a sudden appearance of 'senior' who was forgetten by Wendy.

 

"Hi, yoona-sunbae, how long have it been since we met?" Seungwan said it with a really mischiveous smile, and bowed her head toward Yoona-sunbae.

 

"I told you to call me unnie," Yoona rolled her eyes, and hit Seungwan's head with her fist.

 

"Ok, yoona-unnie." Seungwan pouted while rubb

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter