Chapter 15 - Amend

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After Wendy found a parking, the sisters walked into the restaurant. It was not crowded as the restaurants near it were the well-known franchises. But, Wendy’s whole family loved it here, the cozy atmosphere, and the jazz music used as the background music was soothing. Wendy found all of it relaxing, not to mention the love she felt from the food made by the chef.

 

The restaurant, itself, wasn't a large area, it could only accommodate three tables for two, one table for four and one table for six. The wall was painted in black, all sorts of logos were hanged on it. There was a chandelier made of empty wine bottle were hanged at the middle. The warm lighting made the atmosphere more welcoming. Yeri insisted herself wasn’t picky like Wendy in which Wendy strongly disagreed, according to Wendy Ramsay as only tasty food should be served by the chef to the guest. Nevertheles, Yeri paid no attention to the food, only paying attention to the vintage design of the restaurant, along with the atmosphere and background music.

 

"It's been a long time you guys come here." The owner approached with a friendly smile when they opened the door and walked in.

 

"I missed your mash potatoes, chef-nim." Wendy expressed her longing with cheeky smile.

 

"Today, it's just you two?" The owner chuckled and led them to a table near the wall, as there were people seated on the table for four. He passed the menu to the sisters.

 

"Mum and dad went for working trip." Yeri answered while flipping through the menu.

 

"I'll have one chicken chop with mushroom sauce and one mashed potato."

 

"I'll have same as my sister but one set of french fries."

 

The owner wrote down their order, leaving the sisters and entered the kitchen to do his magic. Yeri really needed to ask the owner the title of the jazz music playing now, it was comforting. She would stay here forever if she could, away from the world, responsibility.

 

She was getting easily nostalgic recently, and she blamed it to her sister.

 

"So, how do you know Irene?" Her sister was always straight to the point, Yeri even joked that this was the only straightness Wendy left in  body.

 

"You introduced us." Yeri answered the question, there was nothing to elaborate and she had no intention to elaborate either.

 

"Really? That's your answer? Tell me more. What do you know about Irene and I?" Wendy was obviously edgy.

 

Yeri noticed the tension in her sister's tone, figured it was best to be honest now. "I think Seulgi and Joy unnies already told you about you two. And, you couldn't stop talking about her after you met her. Then, one day, when we were shopping, she was there shopping with her family as well. That's how I met her."

 

", why are you here?" Seungwan jumped up while seeing Joohyun was standing in front of her.

 

She made a mental note to herself.

 

Never talked about a person in public.

 

Because who knew the person might actually show up.

 

"Son Seung Wan, introduce me to your friend." Yerim pulled her sister's sleeve for attention.

 

"Ah, Joohyun, this is Yerim." Seungwan, then, realized the need of introduction.

 

"Yerim, this is Joohyun."

 

"Oh, So, you are Joohyun-unnie. I heard a lot about you." Yerim thought of the endless rambling of her sister's Joohyun and now finally meeting the protagonist in person. The smirk on the devil's face was too creepily obvious.

 

"I heard a lot about you too." Joohyun was too simple-minded to notice the double meaning of the sentence.

 

"Oh, Unnie, I think we are talking about a totally different thing." Of course, how could the devil let a golden opportunity slipped away from her.

 

"S-shut up." Seungwan quickly pulled her sister away, walking away from Joohyun, bidding goodbye before Joohyun could say anything. "Joohyun, I'll see you in school, okay?"

 

"Unnie, who's that?" Joohyun's sister called over.

 

"Seungwannie, she was here too, shopping with her sister." Joohyun walked toward her sister.

 

Wendy shook her head at the flashback, luckily the pain along with the flashback was still bearable.

 

Yeri quickly reached out to grab her sister's wrist, "Recall something?"

 

Wendy nodded and assured her sister, "I'm fine, it's hurt sometime when I recall something."

 

"How do you feel about Irene?"

 

"Why do all of you keep asking me the same questions?"

 

Wendy wasn't sure herself.

 

Is it a silly crush?

 

It definitely wasn't love, it was too fast to conclude she loved Irene.

 

But, It was neither just a glee.

 

Nor a superficial infatuation.

 

It was something more than that.

 

She felt content whenever Irene was around.

 

A pure sense of delight.

 

A feeling of serene which Wendy never experienced before.

 

A sense of belonging Wendy felt from Joohyun.

 

But, Wendy wouldn't tell what she felt to Yerim.

 

It was too personal.

 

"What did she do?" Wendy asked.

 

"I am also dying to know, but you were too broke to tell me the details of your phonecall with her."

 

"We talked in the phone?"

 

"Why can't we, Joohyun?"

 

"Just give us a try, Joohyun."

 

"I'm just gonna say it anyway, I love you, Joohyun."

 

There were flashbacks but it was all fragmented, Wendy couldn't differentiate any of it. The headache was getting worse, she hissed in pain. Yeri wanted to reach out to check on her sister but the owner was serving their order to them. 

 

"Your orders, enjoy." The owner didn't notice Wendy's discomfort, still smiled warmly to them.

 

Yeri nodded their gratitude toward the owner while glancing worryingly at her sister. Wendy lifted her hand to her temple, shutting her eyes at the flashbacks.

 

"Are you okay?" Yeri voiced out her worry.

 

"It happens sometime, let's finish the dinner first. We'll continue it later." Wendy shook her head to shake off the headache.

 

Yeri let of a puff, wanted to scream at her sister's stubbornness of finding the truth.

 

She gulped down her frustration with the cooling sprite.

 

Stubborn Seungwan unnie.

 

 

Joohyun had been checking her phone once in a while for Seungwan's message. She was walking to cafe after having dinner in the cafeteria, the deadline of her coursework was around the corner. It contributed 30% of the module and she already finished it. She could have stayed in her dorm to proofread it, but she needed some air to shoo away the warmth spreading across her cheek after her call with Seungwan.

 

But within minutes she walked down the street, she already couldn't deal with the cold, shivering in cold. She thought of Seungwan warming her up by rubbing her wrist. The warmth came back across her cheek when she remembered how her body was, in fact, overlapping with Seungwan's body. She shook her head to dismiss it, mentally cursed herself out of all the memories she recently created with Seungwan, she could only remember these.

 

What a ert indeed.

 

Then, she recalled Seungwan's kiss on her cheek, bringing her finger to relive Seungwan's kiss.

 

It wasn't just a kiss.

 

It was an answer.

 

An answer toward Joohyun's unspoken question.

 

The kiss was delicate yet strong enough to convey Seungwan's feelings toward Joohyun.

 

Joohyun, of course, felt it too. But she couldn't bring herself to believe Seungwan actually reciprocated the feelings.

 

They were walking on a fine line, after all, with Seungwan forgot all the hurt Joohyun caused her.

 

One wrong step will cause them to fall.

 

Joohyun couldn't imagine Seungwan's reaction if Seungwan ever recalled the phonecall.

 

The last phonecall they had.

 

The terror while awaiting the timebomb to explode.

 

She quickly shook her head to dispel the fear.

 

She, then, opened the door and entered the cafe. The cold she experienced was washed away by the warmth from the cafe. It was more vacant table as compared to usual, all students went to library to study. Not sure if it was fate, Yuri and Yoona sunbae were there too, having a coffee date. Yuri was first to notice Joohyun, waving her hand to get her attention. Yoona sunbae, turned around and waved her greetings too.

 

Though Joohyun didn't want to be the third wheel, as summoned by Yuri-sunbae, she received her hot chocolate and walked toward the couple.

 

"It's been a long time, Irene." Yuri flashed a big smile toward Joohyun.

 

"Ya, sunbae. How long since we last met?" Joohyun settled down sitting beside Yoona which was opposite Yuri.

 

"After highschool. I lost track, too long time ago."

 

"Like you actually remember." Yoona rolled her eyes and girlfriend.

 

"Ya! not in front of my junior." Yuri grunted.

 

Joohyun chuckled at the couple's bickering and found it lovely.

 

"Ignore us, we are always like this." Yuri was first to speak out.

 

"It's nothing, sunbae. You guys are cute and I'm sure you guys already heard tons of it." Joohyun complimented the chemistry between them.

 

"You can be like us too." Yoona quickly replied with a wink.

 

Joohyun blushed at the sentence, looking down toward the mug, wrapping her hand around it.

 

"So, how do you feel? Coming back to Korea after being in Japan for two years." Yuri found Joohyun's shyness really cute but decided to save the poor girl from her girlfriend's teasing.

 

"It still felt the same, there wasn't much difference in the culture in Japan and Korea." Joohyun, then, brought the mug up and took a sip.

 

But something changed, change is the only constant in life. Joohyun wasn't sure how to put it into words, she just felt it.

 

Maybe it was the way she spoke, the way she thought, the way she handled things. She compared the past her with the present her.

 

Seungwan taught her something, something that she wouldn't learn from the others.

 

And with that, she wanted to change the relationship with Seungwan.

 

She wanted to try.

 

“Give us a try, Joohyun.”

 

"But something's different, isn't it?" Yuri heard the unspoken message in Joohyun's words, flashed a mysterious smile toward Joohyun, mirroring Joohyun's gesture.

 

"What's different?" Yoona prompted Joohyun, noticing her girlfriend's tone.

 

"Do you feel I change in any way, Yoona-sunbae?" Joohyun asked, instead of answering Yoona's question.

 

"I wasn't close to you, back then. I was closer to Wendy." Yoona couldn't make her conclusion.

 

She turned to her girlfriend. "How about you? What do you think?"

 

Yuri sunbae knew Joohyun through the training too, they were just acquaintance, only greeted each other when they met. They didn't really hang out after training. Joohyun was so quiet, back then, Yuri was the total opposite of her personality, always too loud and playful. Yuri always pulled prank on juniors, even seniors and Yoona was one of the victims. She always wanted to take revenge, but failed. Yuri said Yoona would never get up to her level. They were frenemies but the hostiliy between them slowly shifted to a different direction.

 

"You were so quiet. I didn't know how to talk to you, it felt like you had this wall built around you to protect you. And, it worked? We wanted to get close to you, but didn't know how." Yuri recalled her impression of Joohyun.

 

Joohyun was not surprised, most of people still said this to her but it wasn't the answer Joohyun was looking for.

 

"But then I graduated, I visited the team once in a while, seeing Wendy talked to you, you were lively. The reserved, closed off Irene that I used to know was long gone. You were laughing, you were smiling. God, I think you heard it tons of times, you are even prettier when you smile." Yuri exclaimed.

 

Yoona chuckled at her girlfriend, reminding her girlfriend at the question, "So, that was her change back then? What about now?

 

"I think something happened in Japan, and you learnt something from it. I am just guessing anyway, from the caption you wrote in the pictures you took in solo travel." Yuri shrugged, taking a sip from her mocha and then continued.

 

"You have a clearer vision of what you want now, though you still feel a little bit uncertain."

 

Joohyun was listening attentively while Yuri-sunbae talked. The moment Joohyun heard this, she lifted her head up to look into Yuri-sunbae's eyes. Yuri-sunbae put down her mug and flashed Irene her significant mysterious smirk.

 

But, Yuri-sunbae’s smirk was comforting and assuring.

 

"I think you are ready to get what you want."

 

"To give it a try."

 

 

They ordered a d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter