CHANGES

Choices
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You’re avoiding me.”

 

Jisoo turned to see Jennie leaning at the pantry table.

 

“No, I’m not.” She tried to smile at her, but it was really awkward.

 

“Don’t do this, Chi. I’m ok. Jaewon and I have parted with no hard feelings.” She smiled at her, with a bit of sadness in her eyes.

 

“I’ve been busy with work, Jen. You know that. But you’re right, I’ve been avoiding you too.”

 

Jennie held her hand and ushered her out of the pantry. “Let’s get coffee outside. I missed my friend and we’ll abuse the afternoon break by having a chat.”

 

As soon as they had their coffees, the two sat quietly and waited for someone to start the conversation.

 

“I guess you’re wondering why we broke up.” Jennie said while playing with the frosting of her cupcake.

 

“Jaewon was being vague about it, and I don’t want to push you.” Jisoo peered over her friend’s face and saw that she was smiling, sadly though.

 

“We just figured things out, Chi. Jaewon and I have been hanging on a thread. I talked to him about us, and I just had this realization in the middle of our conversation that it’s not going to work anymore. The only reason we’re staying with each other is because of you.”

 

She almost spilled her coffee when she heard her say it. “Why me?”

 

“Well, I’ve noticed that Jae is just sticking with me because he wants to be connected to you. He’s worried that if we broke up, you’ll feel bad about things and you’ll hate him or me.”

 

It was what she initially thought, but it now sounds ridiculous, coming from Jennie. “I feel so bad right now.”

 

“Don’t be, Chi. This is on us. We were already waiting to crash, but decided to hang on and used you as a reason. We’re both cowards, but luckily, we were able to get out of it now.”

 

She was calm, and Jisoo almost wanted to tell her that Jaewon is pursuing Bora. But it’s not her story to tell.

 

But what kind of friend that makes her? It really is a tough position.

 

“I’ll try my best to adjust to this situation, Jen. And sorry for being a coward to you too. I avoided you so I wouldn’t have this talk, but I guess it’s what we actually needed."

 

Jennie offered

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter