DATENIGHT

Choices
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Well, thank you for driving two blocks away from your place, Jiyong. I really appreciate it."

 

Youngbae welcomed his friend inside his home.

 

"I have drinks." Jiyong lifted the bag with two bottles of whiskey inside.

 

"Woah. What's the problem?" His friend asked him as they walked up the stairs to the roof deck.

 

"Why does it have to be about having a problem, Youngbae? I just miss you, man. We never get to hang out anymore." He told him as they started to unstack chairs and set the table.

 

"Because you only hang out with me when Dara dearest isn't around." Youngbae said before disappearing to the mini kitchen at the corner.

 

"That's not true. I just had drinks with Mino last night." He corrected his friend.

 

"Poor Mino." Youngbae returned with glasses and chips in tow.

 

Jiyong punched his arm lightly. "What do you mean? I'm great company."

 

His friend just snorted at him.

 

" you." Jiyong called him out.

 

"Shut up or Hyorin will kick you out. She's been having a hard time filtering words that Youngdeuk heard around the house.

 

"I'm telling you, man. Don't let your kid use your iPad. The internet is a scary place. I just searched beefcake the other day and I was scarred for life." Jiyong casually told his friend.

 

Youngbae spat his drink and laughed at what he just said. "What are you searching for that word for?"

 

"I'm trying to convince my Strategist, Seunghoon, that it's another word for meatloaf. Now I have to buy him burgers for a whole week." He shrugged.

 

"God, I love that kid. Isn't he the one who made a bet with Dara and she lost and had to bleach her hair blonde for a month?” Youngbae asked while pouring Jiyong a drink.

 

“That’s him. God, I miss those blonde days. She really pulled it off, right?” He looked out imagining her hair flying away in blonde locks.

 

“She hated it though, right? She cried at the salon that’s why you bleached your hair as well. Man, the things you do for her. How are you not a couple yet?” His friend asked, with sincere concern in his eyes.

 

“Because I’m a chicken?” He tried to make the conversation light. It’s too early for the pity party to roll.

 

“She loves chicken though. Remember that time she joined that fried chicken eating contest at the university fair? She almost won that one.”

 

Jiyong slammed his hand on the table. “I’m still not over how Park Narae cheated on that round! I still hate her for making Dara cry and puke all night.”

 

Youngbae winced. “Yeah, she threw up a lot that Seunghyun left and let you take care of her. He never really deserved her.”

 

“Can we stop talking about Dara for a while, ‘Bae? I mean, it’s too early for that. Let me finish a bottle first.” Jiyong warned his friend.

 

“Come on. That’s why you’re here, right? Bom talks to Hyorin, you know.” Youngbae gave him a slight pat.

 

“What did she tell Hyorin?” He suddenly felt conscious about what she might have told about him.

 

“That Dara is in a difficult place right now. She’s moved on from Seunghyun, but she can’t move on to date again.”

 

Jiyong shook his head. “Not true. Donghae just asked her out for dinner and she agreed.”

 

“Lee ing Donghae? That’s different. They’re friends.” Youngbae scoffed.

 

“And I’m her best friend who’s currently the king of FriendZone. Friends can have feelings for their friend, and Lee ing Donghae has always been waiting for his moment to pounce.” Jiyong said as he downed his drink.

 

“Why can Donghae make a move and you can’t?”

 

“That’s the billion won question.” Jiyong bowed his head.

 

Youngbae threw a peanut shell at him. “Get your head out of your , Ji. Just make your move."

 

“What if I’m really just a friend to her? You know I’m not a man of words, that’s her thing. I’m a man of action, and I’ve always been making her feel that this is more than friendship now. What I’m doing for her is more than just being her friend.” He looked straight to his friend’s eyes.

 

“I can’t believe we’re having a conversation over whiskey.” He shook his head then stared back at Jiyong. “Just man up, Ji. You’ll never know the answer if you don’t try.”

 

“But there’s so much more at stake now. We’re business partners and we work a lot together. If anything happens, I don’t know if I can still be around her. If she says no, I’ll probably book a flight back to New York in a heartbeat.” Jiyong said while making grand hand gestures. He’s getting drunk now.

 

“OK. Let’s stop this talk for a while and get back to it after we finish this bottle. So, how’s Mino?”

 

--------

 

“Do you think I should date Donghae?”

 

Dara met her friend, Bom, at a bar owned by their workout buddy Minzy. They both ordered the POS special, a pitcher-sized serving of frozen margarita, and rum-infused sticky chicken pops.

 

Bom just popped a piece in and started to chew. “I don’t know, Dee. I mean, he’s cute and funny, and he really likes you, but he doesn’t seem like the boyfriend type you need.”

 

Dara considers this. “What kind of boyfriend do you think I need?”

 

“Someone who understands your temper and your tantrums and knows exactly how to handle your hunger. Someone who’s willing to spend the entire day with you and still lets you have your space.”

 

“I know where this is going.” Dara muttered.

 

“Someone who makes silly Sunday traditions with you and lets you choose the movie to watch every damn time.”

 

“So you’re saying it’s Jiyong?” She asked her friend.

 

“Funny how you thought of him right away.” Bom pretended to be shocked about it.

 

“Silly Sunday traditions? You were pretty much detailed, Bomshell.” Dara mocked her.

 

“Whatever, Darabbit.” Bom countered. “Just admit that he’s really boyfriend material.”

 

Dara blushed and pretended to busy herself with her drink. “He is, but he’s only doing that because we’re friends.”

 

Bom laughed out loud. “Friends my perfect ! We all know, as in we all do, that Jiyong loves you more than a friend. Stop ignoring it, Dee. He’s been with you all this damn time, especially after Seunghyun. May he rest in peace.” Bom closed her eyes as if she’s praying.

 

“He’s still alive, you know. And that’s cruel.” Dara pointed a fork at her.

 

“I already killed him in my head, Dee. Stop being nice to him.” She pointed a fork back at her.

 

Dara sighed and put down the silverware. “I’m not being nice, I just don’t want him to be a part of this conversation in that way. Or in a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter