Jessica XIII - Companion

Romantic Street: Crossroad of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Unicorns, rainbows, carousels, tiaras, castles, clouds, lots of smiley faces, and more importantly, everything is in shades of pink.

That's how the atmosphere usually is whenever she's around.

It's like when she's in a room, she's like a glowing angel sending out smiles to everyone. Her eye smile will make your heart feel warm and then you'll be happy for the rest of your day.

Who am I talking about?

Stephanie. Stephanie Miyoung Hwang.

She's my best friend who ran away from her home in the US to escape from her marriage arrangement which is set to be officially announced to the world, supposedly, next year. It is a big announcement, yes. She's a chaebol heir. Her family is probably richer than Sooyoung's or Yoong's.

She flew here in Seoul the last 31st of May. It has been more than ten years since she last set foot in this country. We just met last Monday again after more or less three years of being separated, I think?

During the past few months, she told me, she's been so unlucky. She could barely even survive living alone. Yet, look at her. Still so happy and positive.

My best friend, I tell you, is a human embodiment of joy. Whatever ball of negativity you throw at her, she converts it to a nice beautiful flower of positiveness. I am not kidding. Let me give you an example.

"You won't find a job here." I said to her. We're currently at one of the sheds inside the campus, hanging out to kill our three-hour break period.

She flashed her eye-smiles at me then answered, "That's alright. Maybe I can start a business then. I think it's in my genes given that my parents are both successful in the field of business."

Hmmm. Not good enough? Here.

"You won't be able to buy your favorite branded stuff ever again."

"That's why I thought in advance, bestie. I bought lots of clothes, bags, shoes and nonsensical stuff back in the US. I think my credit card blew up to ten times last year. So, I am now completely satisfied with my craving for the next five years. See? I am like having my phase of enlightenment now. No more unnecessary stuff in my life. I also brought here some stuff I bought, you know. I'm okay. So okay."

Oh. You want more?

I pulled out my Louis Vuitton mini black leather shoulder bag. I bought this from my three-day travel back to Europe this year along with Yoong's luxury pen. I needed to go there at that time due to my dad's unfinished transactions in our family business and my Aunt Joo-Hyun wasn't available to deal with it.

"Wow." she said sounding a little jealous. "That's from a new line this year."

"Yes." I smirked at her.

She's now looking so sad. After a few seconds, though, she beamed her eye-smiles like puking rainbows again, "I'm more into Gucci than Louis Vuitton though. Oh, by the way, I bought five Hermes bags last year." She laughed loudly. "My father confiscated the two, though. But, That's alright. I still have three there. In case they will find me and take me back there, still okay for me. I got three bags. Perhaps, I'll buy more."

Seriously, how can I tick her off?

"You will never find your prince here." Yes, she's obsessed with her prince who she never knew the name nor remember the face. She's been looking for him for over the years.

She answered, "Well... I have a reason to tour around the world then."

"Your prince would have already married someone else by then."

"That's okay. Meeting him is already enough for me. At least my mind is not tricking me, right? That he's real."

"You won't get sad about it?"

"Well... That just means I can date anyone I like then. I would be totally free after I meet him."

I sighed deeply. I quit. She just wouldn't budge. What's wrong with her, really?

Anyway, she now calls herself Tiffany Lee. I know where Lee came from. It was her mother's surname. But what I don't know is where on Earth the name 'Tiffany' came from.

"Stephanie." I called her attention. 

"Yah, Jessi. Call me Tiffany now."

"Why Tiffany?"

"Why not Tiffany?"

"I am serious about my question."

She smiled at me, "There's no particular reason."

"You could have used Stephen or Steve. In that way, no one can actually trace you."

"Do you think with the name Tiffany, they can trace me?"

"Fine. Point taken. But, why though? Where did you get that freaking name?"

"I saw a photo card of my mom at home. It was when she was young. I thought it was me. Like freaking seriously." She laughed loudly. "It was so funny. I was like having an 80s hairstyle. I was like, 'Why I didn't remember this happening to me?!' I swear, bestie. I literally rolled on the floor laughing. But, then, I got confused. Would you believe if I thought I was older than my actual age?"

I sighed, "Yes." 

"Yes. I did. I thought, was I born in the 60s or 70s? Then…" and she continued saying aloud her thoughts about her being born earlier than what was indicated in her birth certificate just because of the photocard she saw. Seriously, I didn't really try to listen anymore.

My best friend is chatty. So freaking chatty. I never remember a day she isn't talking. Even back then every after we parted ways from school, I couldn't have my lone time. She always calls me at night and she never runs out of things she wanted to talk about.

"So, that's it. That's the story why I chose Tiffany as my name."

"Wait. I'm sorry what?"

"I said that's it. That's the reason."

"I didn't even hear it. So what's the reason?"

She looked st me boringly. "I told you I saw a photocard of my mom at home. It was when she was young. I thought it was me. Like freaking seriously. It was---"

"Yah! Are you seriously going to say everything again?!"

"Because you're not listening. I'll say it again then. I saw a photo card of my mom at home."

I placed my index finger right in front of her lips. "Let's do Q and A from that point onwards. What did you see in the photocard?"

"My mom."

"Then, you realize you should name yourself Tiffany?"

She chuckled, "No."

"Then what's in the photocard to make you realize you should use that name?"

"There's a name at the back. It mentioned, 'To my dearest Tiffany, I miss you so much. Don't forget to eat lots of food.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter