Taeyeon X - Conflict

Romantic Street: Crossroad of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: I want to hear your thoughts. Your thoughts inspire me to update frequently. *wink-wink*

 

 

 

 

As two months passed by after my first meet with her mom, Jessica and I have been seeing each other less frequently, averaging once every week. We were just mostly conversing through chats and phone calls throughout the period. This happening is more because of unwanted circumstances and unexpected events from both of our sides.

School is the constant variable, yes. Apparently, our class schedules don't sync up. She got mostly afternoon classes and I got mornings. Even our break times are on different slots too.

Particularly, on my side, it's the stranger guy who has been attacking Yuri. But, I guess he won't be bothering us anymore since Yuri finally caught him the other day. I haven't heard any news ever since, though.

On Jessica's side, her mother has coincidentally been utilizing most of her time during the past months. Either she would ask Jessica for some errands or just asks to accompany her to go somewhere.

Anyway, today is the first time this week we'll be seeing each other again. We decided to meet in a diner. I was early at the place and it was only half an hour later when Jessica finally arrived.

"Sorry, I'm late." she said then gave me a peck on the lips. She sat down at the opposite side of the table. "Have you been here for so long?"

"No. I just happened to have arrived here too. I already ordered the usual, by the way."

"Thanks."

I reached for her hand, kissed it quickly, and held it. "I miss you so much."

"I miss you too. I'm sorry I've been too busy lately."

"It's alright. You don't have to apologize all the time, Sica."

She smiled faintly. "I could remember, I was the one who said the same to you before."

"Yeah." I smiled back. "So, how are you?"

"Still the same... Mom wouldn't stop bugging me." Then, she sighed deeply. It seems like something is troubling her.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

She stared at me for a bit then sighed again. "I have a feeling that my mom is not okay with us dating."

"Why? Did she say something against us together?"

"No, no. It's more of she's trying to avoid conversations which a topic about our relationship would come up."

"It could just be that she doesn't want to talk about me since I am not someone that interests her. Or maybe she's just busy or something."

She sighed again. "No. I know my mom too well... You know, she's like my best friend too. We share everything. And before she met you, she's always been too eager to know more about us dating. She even told me before that she'll help me out in introducing you to dad."

"Have you tried asking her if there is a problem or something?"

"Yeah, I did. So many times... Still, she shoves it off..."

"Would you want me to talk to her? I can try to visit your house later if that's okay with you."

"Well, I guess we can try... But... Aren't we uhhm--- you know..."

"Oh." I chuckled. "Yes. We can try to visit tomorrow." With that, she finally smiled genuinely. I kissed her hand again. "I will make you happy tonight, I swear. I have some few things in mind."

"Oooh. Are those naughty things?"

"Yes. Naughtiest things which men have never done before."

She giggled, "You and your Star Trek reference again. Such a geek."

"And you love me being a geek."

"I love you, whatever you are."

Our conversation continued for hours. Then, we also went strolling in the mall to shop around. She's kind of stressed too so I bought her some stuff. Lastly, of course, we headed to our wonderland by night. Yes, we decided not to waste our whole time stressing about her mother's 'possible' disapproval of our relationship. And of course, we've been missing each other so much so uhhhmmm yeah. The wonderland was awesome. Lots of fireworks, if you know what I mean.

 

 

---

 

 

Early afternoon time the next day, I drove Jessica back to their residence. As we are on our way, I still noticed the trouble written in her face.

"Jessica. Tell me. What is really bothering you?" I asked.

"I already told you what it is."

"Looks to me you're not telling me everything."

"Fine. But, promise me you're not going to overthink this."

"You seemed to be already overthinking about it so I guess I don't see any reason to overthink too." I joked then grinned at her. She just glared at me in return. I cleared my throat and asked again, "So, what is it?"

She looked away. "Dad was home the other night and then during dinner, he mentioned something about marriage arrangement."

"Oh."

"I already told him that I am actively dating but then he said the marriage arrangement will just be more of a safety net for me." She sighed loudly. "Mom was even there that time and she didn't even bother to back me up."

"I see... Sounds like your mom really doesn't like me for you."

"I said don't think too much, Taengoo."

"I am not." I chuckled. "I'm just concluding your guess based on how that conversation went out."

She sighed, "I am really so sorry about this. But, don't worry about anything, alright? I got this."

"I trust you."

"Thanks."

"So... Did your dad find someone to arrange you with?"

"Why are you interested in such a thing?"

"I'm just making a conversation about it. I don't want you to overthink too. Might as well make this light for you, you know. I don't want to be just a boyfriend. I want to be your best friend too. Someone you'd be comfortable opening up with."

She smiled at me warmly. "Awwwwww..."

"So, what do you say?"

"Alright. If you are comfortable talking about this, let's talk then."

"So... Who's the guy?"

"He didn't say exactly who. He just said he is a son of a former friend of his that is now available for marriage arrangement. That son's previous arrangement was just called off. He never met the guy, though."

"Shouldn't your Dad worry about the fact that that guy's previous arrangement was called off?"

"He said the reason was they weren't compatible that's why it was called off. It's not a big deal, he said."

"That's it then. Just let them see you two are also incompatible. That will drop the engagement too."

"Wait. So, you're telling me, I should meet the guy and date him? Are you giving me away?"

"No, no. That's not it."

"Then, what is it?"

"It's more of like proving that no one in this world is compatible for you other than me."

"Hmmmm."

"Come on. My idea's good, you know."

She chuckled, "Fine. But, I won't do that unless I never really have a choice."

"Good girl. But... why does your father think you needed a safety net, though? Is he assuming you'll be single forever?"

"No. It's just more of he's trying to secure my future. Oh, and also our businesses."

"You mean?"

"Well, I'm not really interested in our family's business so my father actually favors a guy that would be able to help me manage it."

"I see... Your business is something related to investments, right?"

She then teased as she pinched my cheek, "Awwww, my Taengoo turns out to be actually listening on my boring stories."

"Of course. But, going back. Even if I'm not really interested in those investments business thingy, I will try my best to acquire more knowledge about it. Yuri's actually planning to take up business administration so maybe I can ask for his help."

"It's not just business, Taengoo. It's something related to finance."

"Oh. Sounds the same to me though."

She chuckled, "You are really so cute."

"Yuri will still be able to help me or if not, I can sure take up some minor courses on it. Trust me on this, alright? I can convince your dad I'm good enough for you."

"I know you can."

"Oh, by the way, Jongin-hyung will be coming home on Wednesday night. It will just be a night though but I think that's a good enough opportunity to introduce you to my whole family. Are you okay coming over for dinner?"

"Okay. Sure."

I glanced at her briefly. Now, she looked worried. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"I'm just scared. What if they won't like me?"

"Jessica."

"I know you already said they already like me even before they would meet me. But, isn't that the same thing I told you before? I thought my mom would like you but see what happened."

"Sorry..."

"Sorry for what?"

"I think I turned out to be a big disappointment to your mom."

"Taeyeon... that's not it... My mom sometimes thinks differently. It's not you, okay."

I sighed deeply, "Okay. As you said, I won't overthink about it."

"My mom didn't deliberately say she doesn't like you nor blatantly disapproves our relationship, alright? Don't think too much."

"Okay."


We arrived at their residence. Unfortunately, her mom and dad weren't home. I stayed there until 9 in the evening but still, there's no hint if they will be coming home at all. Sadly, I have early morning classes the next day so I can't exactly ask to stay at night. Besides, that would be a negative point for me since it will look like I'm not respecting her parents. Anyway, in conclusion, I didn't get to have a chance to talk to her parents.

I sighed deeply. I guess, there's plenty of time someday to convince them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter