[End of Arc 1] Jessica XI - Wonderland

Romantic Street: Crossroad of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

June. The month of weddings. I sighed deeply. I hate this month. February and December too. I hate those three months. Well... it's almost the end of June now so it's all good. I survived June. Congratulations, Jessica Jung. Congratulations.

"Emo girl!" stupid and pesky guy, Kim Taeyeon who also happens to be my idiotic ex-boyfriend, shouted. That's the stupid and nonsense mocking name he's calling me ever since we met again this year.

He approached me as I was about to head inside the Se Kyung University Campus. "I saw your ugly face everywhere." he said. "Here." He handed me a piece of paper. He then laughed like an old ahjussi as he ran away. Well, that's one thing about Taeyeon's laugh. He laughs like a seventy-year-old guy. I'm serious.

I looked at the paper he handed me. The sketch seemed to look familiar. It was Yuri's sketch of me. But, the heck---

The freaking . He made a wanted poster of me valued at 1 Korean Won!

Damn that midget!

Why only 1 Korean Won?!

He started to raise my made-up wanted poster and announced to everyone around that I am a wanted woman, "Report to the police! This girl is a bad omen! She's widely dubbed as the emo-girl! Bad omen!"

I gritted my teeth. I balled my fists. I crumpled the paper so hard to a freaking smallest ball of paper. 

That freaking heck of a gnome is pissing me off so freaking early in the morning!

"Sorry about that." someone snapped from behind. It was Yuri. He walked alongside me. "I was giving away that sketch and he took it from me."

"And you gave it just like that?"

"I was not aware he's gonna do that."

"Liar. You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

"Give the midget a break. He always loses his witty battles against you, anyway."

"Fine. Whatever. I'm going to let this go for now. He'll be dead meat later." I hissed. "Arrghhh--- that midget. I'm really going to kill him later."

"Come on. Why do you hate him so much?"

"Can't you see he's a freaking annoying, ert, and good-for-nothing guy?! And I don't hate him, okay! His very existence just irks me!"

"Funny. He said the same thing about you. Doesn't hate you but gets to be irked out by your very existence."

"Leave me alone, Mister Kwon. One more and you will be added up to my list."

"What list?"

"List of people I will haunt someday after I die."

He chuckled, "That would be fun."

As we continued to walk, another guy passed us by. Yes, it was my other 'ex' boyfriend, Im Yoong. Yes, he's also my ex-boyfriend. In case you forgot, we became a couple for a day. Well, the same as Taeyeon, he was annoying as well. But now, he's not annoying anymore.

Yuri then called him, "Hey, Yoong!"

He turned around to face him. "Oh. Hi, Yuri-hyung. I didn't see you there. Sorry." I noticed the pen that I gave him for his birthday. He clipped it on the chest pocket of his jacket. That had me smile, though. He appreciated my birthday gift for him.

"Aren't you going to greet Jessica too?" Yuri asked.

Yoong looked at me. "Hi, Jessica... noona."

I blushed from his calling. This is the first time he called me noona. Omo. So cute. I feel like smiling sheepishly from it. But, I have to hide it. I don't want him to think I am giving him a wrong signal again.

"Why are you calling her noona now?" Yuri asked.

"Well, I think it's appropriate to call her noona. She's older than me, anyway."

I uttered, "You can call me any way you want, Mister Im. With or without noona is fine for me."

"Okay." He said then looked back to Yuri. "I gotta go now, hyung. Bye!" He then walked away briskly to his college building.

"He's such a  choding, isn't he?" Yuri said to me as we continued to walk.

"Why?" I asked.

"You turned him down. So now he's just calling you noona. So funny."

"What do you mean I turned him down?" 

"You are Justine, I think. But, Yoong's just denying it."

"I don't know what you are talking about, Mister Kwon."

"Well, let me tell you an inspiring story."

"I am not a fan of inspiring stories."

"Let me tell you a tragic story, then."

"I'm not---"

"Shhhh!" he placed his finger in front of my lips to stop me. He then continued in a story-telling tone, "There's this guy I know. He was like a wandering lost soul who doesn't know his purpose in life. Due to his depression back then he resorted to do useless and nonsense things that just destroyed his life. When he found a new set of friends, they have convinced him that there's still something or someone out there for him. His hope lit up. He became a very jolly and happy-go-lucky guy. Go with the flow, chill as he always says to himself. He was right, though. He met the girl of his dreams. He was so much happy like he was in a cloud nine even if he knew he got no chance to that girl."

He then looked down sadly as he continued,  "Unfortunately, the girl didn't return his feelings and even said the wrong things to him. She shot his hopes down so hard that his heart was completely crushed. He cried for many, many long days and nights. Maybe until now his heart is aching. I doubt if he'll ever be whole again."

I uttered back to him as I sighed, "Why are you telling me that story, Mister Kwon?"

"Well, I am just thinking maybe you can make his heart whole again. He's such a nice guy, you know." Before I could even respond, he bid, "Bye, Jessica. See you around."

I sighed deeply.

I know I broke Yoong's heart so much. I know I did. I just... I just didn't want to hurt him more. This is enough for the two of us. Friends. Maybe we could be friends. I can just secretly love him back. I don't want an angel like him to descend into darkness too. He's going to be a hot dark angel, though, if that ever happens.

 

 

---

 


After a long day of school and boring classes of Architecture, I headed to the coffee shop for my part-time job. I decided this would be the last semester I'm gonna work here. It got me bored already. I think I should try something else. Maybe, somewhere else that not Yoong, not Taeyeon and none of Yoong and Taeyeon's set of friends would know. Yes, I have to avoid them as much as possible.

It was a random moment, however, a sports car screeched so fast in the street. It caused a commotion outside. I quickly went out to snoop around too. The convertible sports car with its hood down stopped exactly and perfectly right in front of the coffee shop.

The woman driving the Lamborghini convertible sports car was wearing a red hot short skirted dress and a black leather jacket. Her hair was side-swept and she's wearing bright red lipstick too. Her look sort of complemented her black sports car.

I was flabbergasted. I thought it was my best friend. I only noticed the difference when she removed her large shades. It turned out it was Miss Elizabeth Hwang, Stephanie Miyoung Hwang's mother. Yes, they do look like each other a lot like you'll get to be so confused if you see them together.

Oh, fact, the Hwangs is a very, very wealthy family, a chaebol as popularly recognized. Stephanie, my best friend, is the only child and heir of Aunt Elizabeth 'Elise' Lee Hwang and Henry 'Jaejoong' Hwang. The family has a very, very complicated relationship, though.


Aunt Elise smiled at me and called, "Jessica, my dear."

"Hi, Auntie."

She tapped on the passenger seat signaling me to take a seat. I complied and got in.

"How are you?" she asked with a look of so much worriment. "I heard what happened. I just found out about Anna-unnie and Vincent-oppa today from Joo-Hyun-unnie. Are you okay?"

I smiled faintly. "Yes, auntie. I am a bit okay now, I guess."

She looked at me apologetically. She held my hand. "I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry we couldn't be there with you when it happened."

"It's alright, Auntie. You don't have to apologize. It's not like you have to be responsible for me."

"You are my daughter's best friend. You are like a daughter to me too."

There was like a lump in as she said those words, though. There is one thing about Auntie Elise that is weird and that is her way of showing love for her daughter. She has this complicated relationship with Stephanie and that she never actually treats my best friend as a daughter at all. However, deep inside, she truly cares about Stephanie. She was like only taking care of and loving her daughter distantly. No one knows the reason why.

She smiled at me faintly again, "Let me guess. You are reading my mind again."

I smiled back, "Sorry. I couldn't help it, Auntie."

"You are so like Boa." she said and sighed. "Anyway, please do contact me if you need help. Do you still have my number?"

"I sort of had all my contacts deleted last year, Auntie. It was an accident, though."

"That's alright. Here." She showed me her phone. She blushed lightly as I noticed the home screen wallpaper was her daughter's picture. We both then exchanged numbers. "I am serious, Jessica. Call me in case you need my help."

"Yes, Auntie." I then redirected, "Anyway, what makes you visit Seoul? Are the Hwangs heading back to your home court to dominate the business industry again?"

"Not exactly. YET. Jaejoong has a plan to come back, though. But not for now."

"I see... Is this about Stephanie that's why you're here?"

She sighed deeply as she looked away, "How could you read minds that easy?"

I chuckled, "Auntie, it's not really reading minds, you know."

"Still, it looked like that."

"So, about Stephanie. What happened to her?"

"She's gone."

"What?!"

"Ever since you left California, she has been plotting to leave the US too. She had carefully planned her escape from us to go here. Maybe to follow you, I don't know. Could be her obsession with her prince again."

How could Stephanie be able to run away from her parents, though? Ever since we've been together before, she's always heavily guarded and monitored by her parents. Hmmm...

"Let me guess, Auntie. You helped her out from escaping then hid it from Uncle Henry, aren't you? Stephanie didn't know about you helping her. But in the end, she outsmarted you and left for good to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter