Chapter 25: Getting Ready

A K-Pop Utopia (A Black Kitty Series, Book 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey, Sam," said Zoey who was sitting next to me. "Aren't you excited about tomorrow?"

I turned to look at her with a smile on my face and said, "you know I am."

"Okay, so we're going to have to perfect everything today. This means we might use the beautiful set we saw yesterday, right?"

I hit Zoey on her knee warning her to keep quiet. Collins was just sitting in front of us in the front passenger's seat. Lucky enough, he didn't hear anything because he had headphones in his ears. He was listening to the news on his tab.

"What?" Zoey asked. "He hasn't heard what we just said. He's too busy listening to the news."

"FYI," said Lee behind us seated with Christine, "he can still catch you when you least expect it. You haven't been with the man for a long time like I have. Sometimes when you think he isn't listening, he is."

"We know," I said. "I've been on that receiving end a couple of times."

"Gosh, everyone is talking about the big day tomorrow," said Christine who seemed less interested about what Lee, Zoey and I were talking about. She was focused on the phone.

"Ya, well, they will be in for a surprise of a lifetime," said Zoey.

"Because of BTW?" I asked. "Well, it's supposed to be a secret. No one should know about it."

"Courtesy of our managers who wanted it that way. But I bet it's going to be great, considering that it's a surprise."

"Ya, you're right," said Christine. "Just thinking about tomorrow is giving me goosebumps. I can't wait to see the entire music video."

"Same here," said Mike who was with Daniel at the last seats of the car.

"Well, we better make it perfect then," said Lee. "Before you even start with rehearsals, we have to run you through with some few details."

"Why?" I asked. "We've been told everything we need to know and now we just have to do it on set. I don't think it will be that difficult."

"Let's just say, there are a few adjustments that have to be made."

"What adjustments?" Daniel asked this time around. He was so focused with playing a game on his phone that you wouldn't think he was listening.

"I'm afraid I can't say. I'm not the one who's supposed to tell you."

We were all quiet. Then Zoey and I turned to look at Lee. A few seconds later, Christine and Daniel looked up from their phones, their eyes now on her. Mike had been looking out the window and he soon turned to look at her.

Lee looked at each one of us with a surprised look on her face.

"What?" she asked as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Why are you so secretive?" Mike asked. "You always keep us wondering what's going on."

"And yesterday, you even had us kidnapped," said Daniel, "that was still being secretive."

"Daniel, it was a surprise," said Lee.

"Aren't all surprises a secret among people who plan the surprise? They don't tell anyone they are planning the surprise for."

Lee paused. "To be honest, I didn't really think it that way."

"Aren't you going to tell us what's going on?" Zoey asked. "Why add adjustments now on the last day?"

"I'm also wondering," I said.

"Guys, you can attack me all you want," said Lee. "But I can't tell you. Your managers planned this, not me."

"And we can't ask Collins," said Christine. "We only have you to ask."

"Oh, I also have another question," I said as I raised up my hand as though I was a student in a classroom. "It's concerning yesterday."

"I think I know the question you're about to ask, Sam," said Lee.

"How?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I just know. And I'm not going to answer if you ask me."

"Why?" I felt even more confused.

"Because we have finally arrived at our destination."

I moaned in frustration as I looked out the car window. Just great!

"Okay, everyone," said Collins as he turned to look at us after putting his tab away. "You know the drill. This is the final day and everything has to be perfect. So, go do what you do best."

"Aye, aye, Captain!" the five of us Toxins exclaimed with excitement.

We all got out of the car and went straight to the YG building to get changed in the dressing rooms. After changing, we soon started our way to the rehearsal building.

"Do we have to act surprised when we see the construction set?" Daniel asked.

"We have to," I said. "What choice do we have?"

"We are so early today," said Christine. "Do you think the others have arrived too?"

"Well, we were the only ones in the changing rooms apart from a few trainees," said Mike. "I didn't see any of the people we are working with there."

"Mmmm, same here," I said. "Looks like we are pretty early today."

The rehearsal building was just within our sight when Zoey muttered something to herself. We all heard her. And we knew why.

Standing at the door of the building was Ji Yeon, A.K.A Miss Sharky, with her co-worker, Ji Nun. The two were talking to each other until they saw us coming towards the building.

"Goodness," said Zoey as she tried to put up a smile for Ji Yeon and Ji Nun to see. "Seeing her right now is giving me the creeps."

"You really exaggerate sometimes," I said. "To be honest, she isn't half as bad as you think."

"Really?" Zoey turned to look at me. "I never thought you liked her that much."

"All I'm saying is, yes, she's tough, but she's a good choreographer. Just because she's tough doesn't make her a bad person."

"Sam's right," said Christine. "She just makes us work too much because of the event. Maybe you should try liking her for just a second, Zoey."

Zoey rolled her eyes. "Maybe," she said.

When we got closer to the entrance of the rehearsal building, the two choreographers continued to look at us. Ji Yeon even had her hands on her hips.

"Morning, Toxins," she said as she put up a smile on her face. She barely smiled in the few days we had worked with her.

"Good morning," the five of us replied. We also greeted Ji Nun who gladly smiled at us.

"Glad to see that you're early," said Ji Yeon. "We have a lot to do today."

"The others aren't here yet?" Mike asked.

"No," said Ji Nun. "And you guys are lucky to be early. That means you will get to see the completed construction set first."

Christine and Zoey smiled and jumped with glee. I had to admit, they were pretty good actresses, acting all excited about the the construction set when we had already seen it.

"Sounds awesome," I said with a smile. "I can't wait to see it."

"Me too," said Daniel, also sounding excited.

"Alright, then, shall we?" Ji Yeon insisted as Ji Nun led the way inside.

The huge space in the building was almost occupied with staff members and the camera crew, walking up and down the place, setting up lights next to the construction set for the filming tomorrow. We looked on at the construction set and we couldn't help but feel excited even if we were seeing it for the second time.

"Wow," said Daniel. "The set looks awesome!"

"Beautiful," said Zoey, with stars in her eyes.

"I can't believe we will be dancing on the set tomorrow," said Mike.

"Alright, let's go on stage," said Ji Nun. "I hope Lee informed you that there will be a few changes to the routine you're all going to do tomorrow."

"Yes, she did," I said.

"Then follow us, please."

The five of us Toxins followed our two choreographers up the stage and we went around admiring the set that we had already seen. After a minute and a half of looking around, we heard Ji Yeon clap her hands drawing our attention to her.

"Okay, you've looked around enough," she said. "Now gather around so that we tell you the adjustments we have made."

"Do the adjustments have to do with our dance routine?" Zoey asked as we all approached the two choreographers.

"Not entirely. Let's just say we are introducing something new in the mix."

"What is it?" Christine asked.

Ji Yeon and Ji Nun looked at each other for a bit. There was something off about their look. It was as if they were scared that what they were going to say might not be good for our ears.

"Can you please tell us?" Daniel asked. "The suspense is killing us."

"Okay, we will tell you," said Ji Nun. "Apparently, your managers wanted to introduce another K-Pop group in the event tomorrow."

"Oh," I heard myself saying. That didn't sound half as bad as I thought.

"Oh, really?" Zoey asked. "Which group is it?"

"I bet it's YG's very own," said Mike.

"iKON, maybe?" Daniel suggested.

"We can't be sure," I said. "Let Ji Yeon finish." I went on to look at her. "Do we know who they are?"

"Yes," she answered. "It's BTS."

"Wait, what?" I asked hoping that I didn't hear her right. "Did you just say BTS?"

"Yep," said Ji Nun as he stared upwards.

I looked over at the my group members and they looked just as surprised. Zoey and Daniel had both of their mouths open. Mike and Christine looked like they were just about to pass out.

"Guys?" I called out to them as I waved a hand across Christine who was standing next to me. She didn't notice it until I shook her.

"Huh?" she looked at me like she had woken up from a dream. "Did I hear right, Sam? BTS will be coming to perform on the set?"

"Yes."

"Oh," was all she said before she looked like she was about to pass out again.

"Wow," said Daniel. "I don't know whether to be happy or surprised or.... I don't know."

"Well, you should have seen the look on our faces when we were told the news," said Ji Nun. "It's great, but we had so much to do preparing for this event at such a short period of time and bringing in BTS...., to be honest, I don't know what to say."

I knew exactly what he meant. The news of BTS joining the programme sounds exciting, maybe for outsiders. For us involved, it sounded great but again, rather overwhelming. The event was meant for the release of the single and most importantly, introducing BTW to the world. BTS weren't related to either of the two and for me, it seemed a little weird for them to be involved.

It was then that I knew why BTS were here yesterday. They were also going to perform tomorrow.

"Okay, well, this is interesting," said Zoey.

"May I ask why the managers did this?" Mike asked.

Ji Yeon shrugged her shoulders. "Who knows," she said. "But let's look at the bright side. As much as BTS isn't related to why this event is taking place, its going to attract a large audience."

"I agree," I said. "The two managers must have thought really hard about this. Bringing in a group like BTS would make a huge impact."

"Makes sense now," said Zoey. "For a moment, I thought they might just end up joining BTW."

"That can't happen and you know it," said Christine.

"Was just saying. Now that it's sinking in, it will be fun to have them on stage. I never imagined dancing alongside BTS."

"Ya, you're right, Zoey," said Mike. "It will be awesome."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter