Chapter 36: Yong-guk's Offer

A K-Pop Utopia (A Black Kitty Series, Book 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Okay, so here are the lyrics for the song," I said after writing them down. 

Everyone's attention automatically turned to me. They all fell silent. I read out the lyrics first then sang them out. 

"So, what do you think?" I asked, addressing the question towards BAP. 

"Just admit it," said Zoey, "the song is awesome." 

"Zoey." Christine gave her a look that told her to keep quiet. "Let the others take it in first." 

"Zoey's right," said Daehyun. "The lyrics are great." 

"I now get what Daniel said," said Zelo, "the song is meant to be sad, but it's fun to sing. You can hear it with the way Sam sang it out." 

"You should listen to the tune," said Mike. "You'll love it." 

"I bet that's why you went searching for the guitar," said Jongup as he looked at me. 

"Play the guitar, Sam," Himchan insisted. "We're all dying to hear it. I bet Yong-guk can't wait any longer." 

"Huh?" Yong-guk looked at Himchan beside him, looking confused. "No, I'm not." 

"Of course you are," said Yong-nam as he gave his brother a raised eyebrow. "Don't forget, I'm your twin." 

"Okay," I said as I took the guitar that had been laying on the table the whole time. "Let me play it, then." 

I positioned the guitar properly before me with my crossed legs supporting it. Before I started to strum the strings, I took in a deep breath. I played out the tune first. Afterwards, I started to sing out the chorus. It wasn't long so it ended sooner than expected. 

"Wow," said Young-jae, looking at me like he's just seen something's dazzled him. "The song's going to sound awesome." 

"Thanks," I said. "Oh, before I forget," I reached out for the pencil on the table and started to write something down. "We also worked on the first verse, but we couldn't finish it up yesterday. We were having a little trouble with the words so we want to see what you guys think." 

"Alright," said Yong-guk, looking to see what I was writing on the paper. "Whatever it is, I bet we can handle it." 

"Can't wait to see you try," said Christine. "But then again, if it's you two l'm not worried." 

"There you go again, Christine," I said after writing down the lyrics. "Okay, here we are." I laid down the pencil aside on the table. 

I felt Jongup lean closer so as to see what I had written. I leaned to the side a little, but his blond hair almost covered my face. I couldn't help but take a sniff. His hair smelt really nice. Well, this seems unusual. I tried to lean away further so as not to smell him. 

"Come on, Jongup," Zelo complained. "You're distracting Sam. We all want to hear what she has written." 

"I don't think that I'm distracting her," said Jongup as he looked at Zelo. "Right, Sam?" 

It's when he turned his head to look at me that I yelped and leaned back further than before, almost falling to the floor. Instead, I ended up leaning on Yong-nam. 

Jongup looked at me with a puzzled look on his face. It's either he didn't know what he was about to do or he knew and was just playing dumb. 

"What's wrong, Sam?" he asked. 

I suddenly blushed. He really didn't know that he had almost planted a kiss on me. Anyway, it's best not to tell him. I hope the others hadn't noticed. 

"Goodness, Jongup," said Mike, "you almost kissed my sister." 

And it just had to be Mike. Goodness, me! 

"Huh?" Jongup looked surprised. "I did?" 

"And you were this close," said Zoey indicating a tiny space with her index finger and thumb. 

"Oh...," Jongup turned to look at me. I was still leaning onto Yong-nam's shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Sam. Maybe I shouldn't have leaned in too close." 

"You see, I told you so," said Zelo. 

"No, I'm okay," I said as I sat upright. "Sorry for leaning on you like that, Yong-nam. I hope I'm not too heavy." 

Yong-nam cleared his throat. "Not at all," he answered. "You're actually pretty light." 

I nervously laughed, not sure whether he meant it or not. 

"Wow," said Zoey as she delightfully clapped her hands together. "First Sam avoids Jongup from kissing her and then she leans onto Yong-nam who prevents her from falling. So sweet." 

"You're such a fantasist, Zoey," said Daniel as he shook his head. 

"Don't mind her," I said. "Can we forget the kissing incident and focus on the song, please?" 

"Sure," said Mike. "That's if we can reset Zoey's brain or else she won't stop talking about it." 

"Are you saying that I'm kookoo?" Zoey asked, looking at Mike. 

"You can argue later, you two," I said, giving them a look. "Let's try and focus." 

I went back to looking at the paper in front of me and read out the lyrics for them. Just like we did with BAP's song, we started coming up with lyrics. But this time, it proved to be a lot difficult than we expected. Whatever we came up with didn't really fit with the song. 

"Is it just me or something's just off?" Young-jae asked. 

"I think I feel what you mean," said Zoey as she scratched her head. 

"Huh? What's Zoey saying?" Himchan asked. 

"I told you we should've rewired her brain a little," said Mike as he turned to look at me. I shook my head. Zoey on the other hand, ignored him. That's so unlike her. 

"I feel we aren't working like we did the first time," said Christine. 

"Ya, that's what I meant," said Zoey. 

"We just aren't coming up with the right lyrics," said Yong-guk, "that's all." 

"Why is that?" Himchan asked. 

"Who knows," said Daniel. "What do you think, Sam?" 

I shrugged my shoulders as I also couldn't figure out why we found it so difficult. I scratched the back of my head and pouted my lip a little. 

"You look like you're about to cry, Sam," said Jongup. 

"Don't mind me," I said. "I'm frustrated that we're going nowhere." 

"Maybe we're all just tired," said Zelo. 

"I felt we rested enough," said Daehyun. 

"Or maybe we've been in the same place for too long," I suggested. "Sometimes the environment contributes greatly." 

"Maybe," said Yong-guk. 

"What do you think, Yong-nam?" Christine asked as she turned to look at him. 

He raised his arms up to stretch. As soon as he put them down, he said, "I think we're all just tired. We exhausted ourselves working on BAP's piece and thought we would do the same with this one. If you ask me, we should just call it a day and continue tomorrow." 

"Tomorrow?" Daniel looked shocked at the idea. "Won't that be a little too late for us?" 

"You're right," I said as I slapped my forehead. "We've to meet the songwriters and composers for the album. We won't have enough time." 

"Not forgetting that we should at least have something to present to Yang Hyun-suk," said Zoey. 

"I told Collins to buy me more time, but I doubt Yang Hyun-suk will even want to hear it. Goodness, just thinking about it feels overwhelming." I buried my face into my hands. 

"Now I wish we never had to make an album," said Zoey as she leaned back on the chair and sighed. 

"Wow, you guys are working on an album?" Jongup asked. 

"Yep," I answered as I lifted my face up from my hands. "Our managers are ambitious." 

"At least we don't have to worry about the other songs," said Zoey. 

"But you heard what Collins said this morning, Zoey. This one has to be awesome. But the way we're so exhausted, I feel we aren't going anywhere." 

"I think we should take a little break," said Yong-nam. 

I went back first onto the floor with my eyes closed. I really did feel exhausted. Why did fatigue have to settle in like this? 

"You're scaring me, Sam," I heard Yong-guk say. 

"Oh, don't mind her," said Zoey. "She started this and finding a way to finish it is frustrating." 

I smiled a little at what Zoey said. Starting something and not finishing it really is frustrating, especially if it involves something that you really love to do. And with time ticking by, Yang Hyun-suk and Collins will have no choice but to be disappointed tomorrow. 

"Wait..., does this mean we won't have the reward Lee was talking about?" I heard Daniel ask. 

I opened my eyes as I remembered Daesung's invitation. I really wish I could tell them the truth, but I held my tongue. Even if we leave this place without much progress, Lee won't hold us back because it isn't much of a reward, but an invitation to go out for an outdoor movie. I sat up. 

"Don't worry about that, Daniel," I said. "Lee will give us that reward." 

"For someone who seems tired, you sound pretty confident," said Himchan. 

"I just know." I smiled at him as I shrugged my shoulders. 

"Do you've any idea what it could be?" Daniel asked. 

I shook my head. It's best it turns out as a surprise. 

"So, what are we going to do now?" Zelo asked. "Just sit and do nothing?" 

"We can do something fun to pass the time," Christine suggested. 

"Not me," I went back to lying down on the floor. 

No one said a word. I could feel a few eyes on me, while others, I'm guessing, gave each other looks. 

"Come on, Sam," said Zoey. "You're such a party pooper." 

"Haven't heard you call me that in a while," I said as I smiled at the ceiling. 

"Get up, will you? This is no time to be lying down." 

"There's nothing wrong with lying down to rest, is there?" 

"Goodness, me." Zoey sounded frustrated. She couldn't argue over that and she knew it. 

"Maybe we should call Lee to pick us up," Mike suggested. 

"Don't bother," I said as I closed my eyes. "With us not under her radar anymore she's probably doing something for herself right now." 

I heard Zelo and Daehyun chuckle while I heard Christine and Zoey mutter out in frustration. 

"Looks like you're stuck here with us until Lee comes to pick you up," I heard Yong-guk say. 

"But we can't sit here doing nothing," said Daniel. "Like Christine said, we better find something to do." 

"You should be resting," I suggested, my eyes still closed. 

"Well, we don't want to," said Zoey. I imagined her folding her arms and looking at me like she would at Mike when he got her angry. 

I smiled. "Suit yourself." 

"No one wants to do karaoke in the recording booth?" Jongup suggested. 

"I think we've done enough singing for one day," said Daehyun. 

"I agree," said Zoey. 

"If there's clearly nothing to do, then I think we should be resting like Sam's doing right now," said Yong-guk. 

"I like your thinking," I said with my eyes closed. I raised my hand to give him a thumbs up. 

"You songwriters all think the same," I heard Christine mutter. 

"I might not agree with all this," Mike started to say, "but I'm going through with Sam's idea. I'm just going to lean back on the couch a little." 

"Huh? Not you too, Mike," said Zoey, sounding surprised. 

"Quit it, Zoey." I heard him move on the couch, obviously putting himself in a more comfortable position. "There's nothing to do. Why not relax for a bit?" 

"I shouldn't be surprised coming from you." 

"Ya, ya, ya, Zoey. I'm the bad guy here. Doesn't matter now, does it?" 

"Well, if there's nothing for you guys to do at the moment, then I'm going to work on something," said Yong-guk. 

"And what could that be?" Young-jae asked. 

"Our song, of course." 

"You go ahead and do that," I said. 

There came an awkward pause and I opened one eye to look at him. 

"You look surprised, Yong-guk," said Yong-nam. He took the words right out of my mouth. 

"I thought that would get Sam up from the floor since she seems to really like helping out," said Yong-guk. 

"I'm drained," I said as I closed my one eye and placed my open palm under my head. "As exciting as it sounds, I'll pass." 

"Okay, then," said Yong-guk. "And you, Mike?" 

"I'll pass too," said Mike. 

"Okay. I'll be by the console. Any of you guys want to join me?" 

"Well...," Zelo sounded hesitant and I heard a scratching sound across the table. I imagined he was scratching his head, wondering whether to go or not. "Me too," he finally said. "I don't feel like working on the song right now." 

"I'm going to relax over here too," said Young-jae. 

"What's up with everyone?" Yong-guk asked, sounding surprised. 

"Like Yong-nam said, we're tired," I said as I sat up. "The best thing to do right now is relax." 

"Aren't you worried about not making progress on your song?" 

"I was about to ask the same question," said Zoey with a sulky look on her face. 

I shrugged. "At first I was, but right now, I need to relax a little before my brain explodes. Don't let me stop you from working on your song." 

"Alright, then," said Yong-nam as he also slept on the floor. "Looks like I can also rest. Keeping your eyes on time can be tiring too." 

"You of all people shouldn't even be sleeping," said Yong-guk. 

I laughed. As much as I wanted to hear these two brothers argue, it ended there. I went back to sleeping on the floor. 

"I'm going to join the relaxing spree too," said Jongup, as he pulled out his phone from his pocket and slept on the floor beside me. 

"Looks like the majority wins," said Himchan as he chuckled. 

Zoey mourned in frustration. Even I could tell she's tired. She had no choice but to give in. 

"Oh, man!" Daniel muttered out loud. 

I lifted my head from the floor to see what Daniel's doing. He had his phone out too and tapping at it. He's probably playing a game. 

"Sorry, guys," he said. He quickly looked up from his phone when he noticed people's eyes on him. "Playing a game over here." 

I shook my head at him as I put my head back on the floor. I looked beside me and saw Jongup on Instagram looking at cute cat videos. I turned the other side to see Yong-nam with his arm over his face, covering his eyes. He did seem just as tired as all of us. He did help come up with some lyrics, so no argument there. 

I heard Zoey sigh and that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter